Linux market share - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux market share - Linux ; ------ The OS once reserved for true hardcore geeks is going mainstream. Dell recently started selling PCs with the Ubuntu distro of Linux loaded out of the box. Asus and Palm are releasing subcompact notebooks with Linux systems. And Microsoft ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Linux market share

  1. Linux market share


    ------
    The OS once reserved for true hardcore geeks is going
    mainstream. Dell recently started selling PCs with the Ubuntu
    distro of Linux loaded out of the box. Asus and Palm are
    releasing subcompact notebooks with Linux systems. And
    Microsoft has started supporting Suse Linux. But widespread
    adoption of the iPhone - or those incessant "Mac vs. PC" ads
    - could push Mac OS X adoption past the 4 to 5 percent it's
    hovered at for years. As of now, Linux's share is around 1
    percent.

    This proposition will pay out at POP$100 if the market share
    of Linux is higher than that of Mac OS at the end of Q4 2009
    according to Net Applications Market Share measurements.
    ------

    Will Linux surpass OS X? What do you think? And I thought I had read in
    COLA that Linux was already pretty close to OS X - seems that is not the
    case according to PopSci.


    --
    Dear Aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...21217782777472


  2. Re: Linux market share

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:35:10 -0700, Snit wrote:

    >
    > ------
    > The OS once reserved for true hardcore geeks is going mainstream.
    > Dell recently started selling PCs with the Ubuntu distro of Linux
    > loaded out of the box. Asus and Palm are releasing subcompact
    > notebooks with Linux systems. And Microsoft has started supporting
    > Suse Linux. But widespread adoption of the iPhone - or those
    > incessant "Mac vs. PC" ads - could push Mac OS X adoption past the 4
    > to 5 percent it's hovered at for years. As of now, Linux's share is
    > around 1 percent.
    >
    > This proposition will pay out at POP$100 if the market share of
    > Linux is higher than that of Mac OS at the end of Q4 2009 according
    > to Net Applications Market Share measurements. ------
    >
    > Will Linux surpass OS X? What do you think? And I thought I had read
    > in COLA that Linux was already pretty close to OS X - seems that is not
    > the case according to PopSci.


    Marketshare? Userbase? Maybe you can tell us which YOU think is more
    important and what the differences are.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Linux market share

    "Rick" stated in post 13ppekoo7uita3b@news.supernews.com
    on 1/27/08 10:08 AM:

    > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:35:10 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> ------
    >> The OS once reserved for true hardcore geeks is going mainstream.
    >> Dell recently started selling PCs with the Ubuntu distro of Linux
    >> loaded out of the box. Asus and Palm are releasing subcompact
    >> notebooks with Linux systems. And Microsoft has started supporting
    >> Suse Linux. But widespread adoption of the iPhone - or those
    >> incessant "Mac vs. PC" ads - could push Mac OS X adoption past the 4
    >> to 5 percent it's hovered at for years. As of now, Linux's share is
    >> around 1 percent.
    >>
    >> This proposition will pay out at POP$100 if the market share of
    >> Linux is higher than that of Mac OS at the end of Q4 2009 according
    >> to Net Applications Market Share measurements. ------
    >>
    >> Will Linux surpass OS X? What do you think? And I thought I had read
    >> in COLA that Linux was already pretty close to OS X - seems that is not
    >> the case according to PopSci.

    >
    > Marketshare? Userbase? Maybe you can tell us which YOU think is more
    > important and what the differences are.


    I would prefer for you to focus and stay on topic. You have a habit of
    being unable to do that.


    --
    Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid: humans are incredibly
    slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful beyond
    imagination. --Albert Einstein


  4. Re: Linux market share

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:18:51 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13ppekoo7uita3b@news.supernews.com on 1/27/08 10:08 AM:
    >
    >> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:35:10 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> ------
    >>> The OS once reserved for true hardcore geeks is going mainstream.
    >>> Dell recently started selling PCs with the Ubuntu distro of Linux
    >>> loaded out of the box. Asus and Palm are releasing subcompact
    >>> notebooks with Linux systems. And Microsoft has started supporting
    >>> Suse Linux. But widespread adoption of the iPhone - or those
    >>> incessant "Mac vs. PC" ads - could push Mac OS X adoption past the
    >>> 4 to 5 percent it's hovered at for years. As of now, Linux's share
    >>> is around 1 percent.
    >>>
    >>> This proposition will pay out at POP$100 if the market share of
    >>> Linux is higher than that of Mac OS at the end of Q4 2009
    >>> according to Net Applications Market Share measurements. ------
    >>>
    >>> Will Linux surpass OS X? What do you think? And I thought I had read
    >>> in COLA that Linux was already pretty close to OS X - seems that is
    >>> not the case according to PopSci.

    >>
    >> Marketshare? Userbase? Maybe you can tell us which YOU think is more
    >> important and what the differences are.

    >
    > I would prefer for you to focus and stay on topic. You have a habit of
    > being unable to do that.


    I didn't think you would answer specific questions.

    And mys questions to you were in direct relation to the topic as both
    addressed market share. I merely asked you to tell us what you think it
    is, and do YOU think it is as important as installed userbase.



    --
    Rick

  5. Re: Linux market share

    "Rick" stated in post 13ppiebk5f351ec@news.supernews.com
    on 1/27/08 11:13 AM:

    > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:18:51 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> 13ppekoo7uita3b@news.supernews.com on 1/27/08 10:08 AM:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:35:10 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> ------
    >>>> The OS once reserved for true hardcore geeks is going mainstream.
    >>>> Dell recently started selling PCs with the Ubuntu distro of Linux
    >>>> loaded out of the box. Asus and Palm are releasing subcompact
    >>>> notebooks with Linux systems. And Microsoft has started supporting
    >>>> Suse Linux. But widespread adoption of the iPhone - or those
    >>>> incessant "Mac vs. PC" ads - could push Mac OS X adoption past the
    >>>> 4 to 5 percent it's hovered at for years. As of now, Linux's share
    >>>> is around 1 percent.
    >>>>
    >>>> This proposition will pay out at POP$100 if the market share of
    >>>> Linux is higher than that of Mac OS at the end of Q4 2009
    >>>> according to Net Applications Market Share measurements. ------
    >>>>
    >>>> Will Linux surpass OS X? What do you think? And I thought I had read
    >>>> in COLA that Linux was already pretty close to OS X - seems that is
    >>>> not the case according to PopSci.
    >>>
    >>> Marketshare? Userbase? Maybe you can tell us which YOU think is more
    >>> important and what the differences are.

    >>
    >> I would prefer for you to focus and stay on topic. You have a habit of
    >> being unable to do that.

    >
    > I didn't think you would answer specific questions.


    I am hoping to keep you focused, but since you bring up the topic of
    answering specific questions maybe you will, now, answer the questions you
    have been clearly unable to answer (for reasons I state, below):

    1) In the context of a discussion about novice and non-techie
    users, you claimed Ubuntu was as easy as OS X. What ease
    of use features do you think Ubuntu has that OS X lacks?

    You have refused to answer - the reason is simple. You can't. You do not
    know Linux well enough *and*, overall, OS X simply is easier to use, at
    least for the users in question.

    2) When I noted that "the people who make Ubuntu are the ones
    who chose what applications they want to include" you
    claimed this shows I am "clueless". So, Rick, who do
    you think makes those decisions?

    You will not answer because, of course, I am right. Even you have come to
    realize this. And you avoid the topic because it shows how little you know
    of Linux.

    3) On seeing this:
    and having it explained that it was a relatively stock version of
    Ubuntu, you still asked if the lack of appropriate dialog was
    from Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or Metacity! I have repeatedly
    answered your question but I am *still* not sure you understand.
    Can you answer the question in your own words?

    You will not - you know that the very fact you felt the need to ask the
    question shows how little you understand of Linux and you are embarrassed.

    4) Why did you want to know what software I used to make a video?

    The answer is clear - you had no idea how I did it. You do not know how to
    make such videos. You are too embarrassed to admit when you are ignorant of
    something... especially something I clearly find to be easy.

    Now you are asking other questions that show your lack of knowledge: you do
    not know the difference between market share (the percent of total sales a
    product enjoys) and "userbase" (you likely really meant "user base", which
    is the number of users of a product). Why should I waste my time answering
    questions you will later claim - surely - that you already knew the answer
    and were just "testing" me... as though I am obligated to take your silly
    little tests. I prefer *real* conversation to your back pedaling BS.




    --
    Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid: humans are incredibly
    slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful beyond
    imagination. --Albert Einstein


  6. Re: Linux market share


    >
    > --
    > Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid: humans are incredibly
    > slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful beyond
    > imagination. --Albert Einstein


    Snit-- a lot of your posts seem to me to be trying to provoke Linux-OS/
    X flame wars. Is that what you're trying to do? Also, once you let a
    subject out, you can't control where the topic will go in others'
    hands---people don't have to stay on the topic you started.

    In my opinion, Linux and OS/X are mostly not in competition at this
    point. I know that is less true in some areas than others---smart
    phones, for example. Linux and iPhone are among the players in this
    area, and iPhone may clean up. But on the desktop Linux is ideal for
    some applications where OS/X is not, such as the OLPC, and vice versa.

    The figures I have seen show Apple increasing from about 6% to 8% of
    the US desktop market in 2007, and Linux from about 0.35% to 0.7% in
    the same time. Windows---all versions, including Vista, is down a few
    percent to about 90%. Of course these figures are based on certain
    assumptions, hits on certain web sites, I think, and you will get
    different numbers with some other criterion. The Linux numbers are
    small, but doubling in one year is not bad, and that's believable to
    me based on the generally good publicity that Linux has gotten in the
    press lately. Apple's curves look good, too, and not good for
    Microsoft, where they are eating away at the high end. Apple is
    relatively weaker in other countries, and Linux is stronger in the 3rd
    world. Apple's profit is much larger than their market share would
    indicate.

    Personally I'd like to see desktop Linux achieve the market share that
    it will start to attract commercial developers. That may happen first
    in places like India or Brasil.

    BTW I can't believe the Einstein quote. Einstein died before
    computers were very big on the scene, and the statement in any case
    does not sound like him at all.

  7. Re: Linux market share

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:33:04 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13ppiebk5f351ec@news.supernews.com on 1/27/08 11:13 AM:
    >
    >> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:18:51 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 13ppekoo7uita3b@news.supernews.com on 1/27/08 10:08 AM:
    >>>
    >>>> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:35:10 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> ------
    >>>>> The OS once reserved for true hardcore geeks is going
    >>>>> mainstream. Dell recently started selling PCs with the Ubuntu
    >>>>> distro of Linux loaded out of the box. Asus and Palm are
    >>>>> releasing subcompact notebooks with Linux systems. And Microsoft
    >>>>> has started supporting Suse Linux. But widespread adoption of
    >>>>> the iPhone - or those incessant "Mac vs. PC" ads - could push
    >>>>> Mac OS X adoption past the 4 to 5 percent it's hovered at for
    >>>>> years. As of now, Linux's share is around 1 percent.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> This proposition will pay out at POP$100 if the market share of
    >>>>> Linux is higher than that of Mac OS at the end of Q4 2009
    >>>>> according to Net Applications Market Share measurements. ------
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Will Linux surpass OS X? What do you think? And I thought I had
    >>>>> read in COLA that Linux was already pretty close to OS X - seems
    >>>>> that is not the case according to PopSci.
    >>>>
    >>>> Marketshare? Userbase? Maybe you can tell us which YOU think is more
    >>>> important and what the differences are.
    >>>
    >>> I would prefer for you to focus and stay on topic. You have a habit
    >>> of being unable to do that.

    >>
    >> I didn't think you would answer specific questions.

    >
    > I am hoping to keep you focused, but since you bring up the topic of
    > answering specific questions maybe you will, now, answer the questions
    > you have been clearly unable to answer (for reasons I state, below):
    >
    > 1) In the context of a discussion about novice and non-techie
    > users, you claimed Ubuntu was as easy as OS X. What ease of use
    > features do you think Ubuntu has that OS X lacks?


    No, I said Linux was as easy or easier.

    >
    > You have refused to answer - the reason is simple. You can't. You do
    > not know Linux well enough *and*, overall, OS X simply is easier to use,
    > at least for the users in question.


    I have documented my experience with Linux. You refuse to accept it.

    >
    > 2) When I noted that "the people who make Ubuntu are the ones
    > who chose what applications they want to include" you claimed this
    > shows I am "clueless". So, Rick, who do you think makes those
    > decisions?
    >
    > You will not answer because, of course, I am right. Even you have come
    > to realize this. And you avoid the topic because it shows how little
    > you know of Linux.
    >
    > 3) On seeing this:
    > and having it explained that it was a relatively stock version of
    > Ubuntu, you still asked if the lack of appropriate dialog was from
    > Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or Metacity! I have repeatedly answered your
    > question but I am *still* not sure you understand. Can you answer the
    > question in your own words?


    Lies. All lies.

    >
    > You will not - you know that the very fact you felt the need to ask the
    > question shows how little you understand of Linux and you are
    > embarrassed.


    I am not embarrassed about anything. I have documented my experience
    using Linux. You refuse to accept it. As a little more documentation:

    Yes, I was using Linux on Macs years ago.

    No, I don't have my Red Hat or Suse receipts to post, and there is no
    reason why I should post them.

    Although I doubt you will, you can search Usenet for my posts and see
    that I've been using Linux for years.

    Here is one header:
    Path: supernews.google.com!sn-xit-02!sn-post-01!supernews.com!
    corp.supernews.com!not-for-mail
    From: Rick
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.powerpc
    Subject: Re: LinuxPPC Netscape 128 bit encryption?
    Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:42:30 -0500
    Organization: Posted via Supernews, http://www.supernews.com
    Message-ID: <3A4127C6.B94EF680@aug.com>
    X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.73 [en] (X11; I; Linux 2.2.15pre3 ppc)

    Notice the date, and the architecture.
    >
    > 4) Why did you want to know what software I used to make a video?
    >
    > The answer is clear - you had no idea how I did it.


    I asked you what you used, because I wanted to know. You cannot know why
    I wanted to know because I didn't tell you.

    > You do not know how
    > to make such videos. You are too embarrassed to admit when you are
    > ignorant of something... especially something I clearly find to be easy.


    I don't know how to make such videos?

    .... and it was made with an OSS app under Linux.

    That is my #4 Desktop. The distro is PCLinuxOS, with WindowMaker as the
    window manager. The theme is customized LinuxOnIce. Mozilla is using the
    gtk AquaX theme.

    >
    > Now you are asking other questions that show your lack of knowledge: you
    > do not know the difference between market share (the percent of total
    > sales a product enjoys) and "userbase" (you likely really meant "user
    > base", which is the number of users of a product). Why should I waste
    > my time answering questions you will later claim - surely - that you
    > already knew the answer and were just "testing" me...


    Actually, I wasn't testing. I was asking what you thought the definitions
    were and which was more important.

    > as though I am obligated to take your silly little tests.


    You are not obligated to do anything, although you certainly act as if
    people are obligated to answer yours.

    > I prefer *real* conversation to your back pedaling BS.


    I will never learn. You are simply a lying git. I asked WHAT YOU
    THOUGHT... WHAT YOU THOUGHT, and you twist it around saying I don't know
    what it means. Do you do that in the analog world? Is that how you
    respond when people ask what you think about something?


    --
    Rick

  8. Re: Linux market share

    "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" stated in post
    49d1ab6f-ed7f-44d5-afc4-2b072000c215...oglegroups.com on 1/27/08
    1:34 PM:

    >
    >>
    >> --
    >> Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid: humans are incredibly
    >> slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful beyond
    >> imagination. --Albert Einstein

    >
    > Snit-- a lot of your posts seem to me to be trying to provoke Linux-OS/
    > X flame wars. Is that what you're trying to do?


    No. What posts of mine lead you to think so?

    > Also, once you let a subject out, you can't control where the topic will go in
    > others' hands---people don't have to stay on the topic you started.


    Of course not. It is called thread drift. With that said I have no
    obligation to follow people when they leave a topic behind.

    > In my opinion, Linux and OS/X are mostly not in competition at this point.


    Agreed, though some in COLA (Rick specifically) claim that Ubuntu is as easy
    to use as OS X - which would make them competitors. Not that competition
    would be bad... just I do not think thy compete in this area yet.

    > I know that is less true in some areas than others---smart phones, for
    > example. Linux and iPhone are among the players in this area, and iPhone may
    > clean up. But on the desktop Linux is ideal for some applications where OS/X
    > is not, such as the OLPC, and vice versa.


    Agreed. Each have their strengths - and their weaknesses. No doubt.

    > The figures I have seen show Apple increasing from about 6% to 8% of the US
    > desktop market in 2007, and Linux from about 0.35% to 0.7% in the same time.
    > Windows---all versions, including Vista, is down a few percent to about 90%.
    > Of course these figures are based on certain assumptions, hits on certain web
    > sites, I think, and you will get different numbers with some other criterion.
    > The Linux numbers are small, but doubling in one year is not bad, and that's
    > believable to me based on the generally good publicity that Linux has gotten
    > in the press lately. Apple's curves look good, too, and not good for
    > Microsoft, where they are eating away at the high end. Apple is relatively
    > weaker in other countries, and Linux is stronger in the 3rd world. Apple's
    > profit is much larger than their market share would indicate.


    No real argument here.

    > Personally I'd like to see desktop Linux achieve the market share that
    > it will start to attract commercial developers. That may happen first
    > in places like India or Brasil.


    I would love to see that as well.

    > BTW I can't believe the Einstein quote. Einstein died before
    > computers were very big on the scene, and the statement in any case
    > does not sound like him at all.


    It may be apocryphal - looking quickly I could not find the source.

    --
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please
    everyone. -- Bill Cosby


  9. Re: Linux market share

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    >
    >>
    >> --
    >> Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid: humans are
    >> incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful
    >> beyond
    >> imagination. --Albert Einstein

    >
    > Snit-- a lot of your posts seem to me to be trying to provoke Linux-OS/
    > X flame wars. Is that what you're trying to do?


    That is the only thing he tries, as he is absolutely clueless about linux.
    Snot needs another circus going on, and he sees a chance to install one in
    COLA. Rick so far has played along with that POS Michael Glasser, instead
    of simply ignoring that asshole

    One can *not* debate with that dishonest swine
    Talk "about" Snot as much as you like, but not "with" him
    --
    I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.


  10. Re: Linux market share

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    fnir46$m8j$02$1@news.t-online.com on 1/27/08 1:55 PM:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid: humans are
    >>> incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful
    >>> beyond
    >>> imagination. --Albert Einstein

    >>
    >> Snit-- a lot of your posts seem to me to be trying to provoke Linux-OS/
    >> X flame wars. Is that what you're trying to do?

    >
    > That is the only thing he tries, as he is absolutely clueless about linux.
    > Snot needs another circus going on, and he sees a chance to install one in
    > COLA. Rick so far has played along with that POS Michael Glasser, instead
    > of simply ignoring that asshole
    >
    > One can *not* debate with that dishonest swine
    > Talk "about" Snot as much as you like, but not "with" him


    Funny how you blame me for trying to provoke. LOL!

    --
    One who makes no mistakes, never makes anything.


  11. Re: Linux market share

    "Rick" stated in post 13ppr932gmakgc3@news.supernews.com
    on 1/27/08 1:44 PM:

    >>>> I would prefer for you to focus and stay on topic. You have a habit
    >>>> of being unable to do that.
    >>>
    >>> I didn't think you would answer specific questions.

    >>
    >> I am hoping to keep you focused, but since you bring up the topic of
    >> answering specific questions maybe you will, now, answer the questions
    >> you have been clearly unable to answer (for reasons I state, below):
    >>
    >> 1) In the context of a discussion about novice and non-techie
    >> users, you claimed Ubuntu was as easy as OS X. What ease of use
    >> features do you think Ubuntu has that OS X lacks?

    >
    > No, I said Linux was as easy or easier.


    So the question is in what way - what ease of use features does it have that
    OS X does not?

    >> You have refused to answer - the reason is simple. You can't. You do
    >> not know Linux well enough *and*, overall, OS X simply is easier to use,
    >> at least for the users in question.

    >
    > I have documented my experience with Linux. You refuse to accept it.


    Your claimed experience is completely irrelevant to the question:

    What ease of use features does Ubuntu have that OS X does not?

    You whine when others do not answer your questions (even when they have!)
    but you refuse to answer questions asked of you. That makes you a
    hypocrite.

    >> 2) When I noted that "the people who make Ubuntu are the ones
    >> who chose what applications they want to include" you claimed this
    >> shows I am "clueless". So, Rick, who do you think makes those
    >> decisions?
    >>
    >> You will not answer because, of course, I am right. Even you have come
    >> to realize this. And you avoid the topic because it shows how little
    >> you know of Linux.
    >>
    >> 3) On seeing this:
    >> and having it explained that it was a relatively stock version of
    >> Ubuntu, you still asked if the lack of appropriate dialog was from
    >> Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or Metacity! I have repeatedly answered your
    >> question but I am *still* not sure you understand. Can you answer the
    >> question in your own words?

    >
    > Lies. All lies.


    You will not answer. That is clearly a fact.

    >> You will not - you know that the very fact you felt the need to ask the
    >> question shows how little you understand of Linux and you are
    >> embarrassed.

    >
    > I am not embarrassed about anything. I have documented my experience
    > using Linux. You refuse to accept it.


    I have no obligation to accept your claims... and even if I did accept them
    they would not answer the questions asked of you.

    > As a little more documentation:
    >
    > Yes, I was using Linux on Macs years ago.


    Irrelevant to the questions:

    Who do you think decides what applications to include in
    a distro.

    I say it is the people who make the distro - but you claim that means I am
    "clueless". So provide your own answer.

    But you won't.

    With a relatively stock version of Ubuntu, as here:
    ,
    do you think the lack of appropriate dialog was from
    Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or Metacity?

    I have answered the question. Why can't you? If you truly had the
    experience you claimed to have it would be a breeze - but you cannot.

    ....
    >> 4) Why did you want to know what software I used to make a video?
    >>
    >> The answer is clear - you had no idea how I did it.

    >
    > I asked you what you used, because I wanted to know. You cannot know why
    > I wanted to know because I didn't tell you.


    As I have noted: you often do not answer questions. You then whine about
    how others do not answer your questions - even when they do! This shows you
    are a hypocrite and a liar.

    >> You do not know how to make such videos. You are too embarrassed to admit
    >> when you are ignorant of something... especially something I clearly find to
    >> be easy.

    >
    > I don't know how to make such videos?
    >
    > ... and it was made with an OSS app under Linux.


    Lovely... a broken movie. LOL!

    > That is my #4 Desktop. The distro is PCLinuxOS, with WindowMaker as the
    > window manager. The theme is customized LinuxOnIce. Mozilla is using the
    > gtk AquaX theme.


    Your movie is broken... which I find beyond funny! Every time you try to
    show off your lovely knowledge you simply blow it... your attempts get more
    pathetic every time you try. For the record your video fails on Ubuntu, XP
    and OS X.

    >> Now you are asking other questions that show your lack of knowledge: you
    >> do not know the difference between market share (the percent of total
    >> sales a product enjoys) and "userbase" (you likely really meant "user
    >> base", which is the number of users of a product). Why should I waste
    >> my time answering questions you will later claim - surely - that you
    >> already knew the answer and were just "testing" me...

    >
    > Actually, I wasn't testing. I was asking what you thought the definitions
    > were and which was more important.


    More important for what?

    >> as though I am obligated to take your silly little tests.

    >
    > You are not obligated to do anything, although you certainly act as if
    > people are obligated to answer yours.
    >
    >> I prefer *real* conversation to your back pedaling BS.

    >
    > I will never learn.


    Sadly you are likely correct. If you really do have as many years working
    with Linux as you (sometimes) claim then it is clear you have a very, very
    hard time learning.

    I snipped your silly insults. Such games bore me.


    --
    I know how a jam jar feels...
    .... full of jam!


  12. Re: Linux market share

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:04:48 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    > fnir46$m8j$02$1@news.t-online.com on 1/27/08 1:55 PM:
    >
    >> nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> --
    >>>> Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid: humans are
    >>>> incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful
    >>>> beyond
    >>>> imagination. --Albert Einstein
    >>>
    >>> Snit-- a lot of your posts seem to me to be trying to provoke Linux-OS/
    >>> X flame wars. Is that what you're trying to do?

    >>
    >> That is the only thing he tries, as he is absolutely clueless about linux.
    >> Snot needs another circus going on, and he sees a chance to install one in
    >> COLA. Rick so far has played along with that POS Michael Glasser, instead
    >> of simply ignoring that asshole
    >>
    >> One can *not* debate with that dishonest swine
    >> Talk "about" Snot as much as you like, but not "with" him

    >
    > Funny how you blame me for trying to provoke. LOL!


    Someone must have taken away Peter Kohlmann's blow up Ilse Koch doll.

  13. Re: Linux market share

    "nospamatall" stated in post fnisqi$2tj$3@aioe.org on
    1/27/08 2:24 PM:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    > hey could someone do me a favor and tell this ****head coleman to go
    > stick his head in a blender? I can't because linux group is in my news
    > provider's banlist but he keeps rudely making follow-ups to a group he
    > doesn't read.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Andy


    Peter whine about how others try to provoke... when it is clear that is his
    main goal of posting.

    --
    What do you call people who are afraid of Santa Claus? Claustrophobic.


  14. Re: Linux market share

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:08:22 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13ppr932gmakgc3@news.supernews.com on 1/27/08 1:44 PM:
    >
    >>>>> I would prefer for you to focus and stay on topic. You have a habit
    >>>>> of being unable to do that.
    >>>>
    >>>> I didn't think you would answer specific questions.
    >>>
    >>> I am hoping to keep you focused, but since you bring up the topic of
    >>> answering specific questions maybe you will, now, answer the questions
    >>> you have been clearly unable to answer (for reasons I state, below):
    >>>
    >>> 1) In the context of a discussion about novice and non-techie
    >>> users, you claimed Ubuntu was as easy as OS X. What ease of use
    >>> features do you think Ubuntu has that OS X lacks?

    >>
    >> No, I said Linux was as easy or easier.

    >
    > So the question is in what way - what ease of use features does it have
    > that OS X does not?


    .... as I said, you ask as if people are obligated to answer you.

    >
    >>> You have refused to answer - the reason is simple. You can't. You do
    >>> not know Linux well enough *and*, overall, OS X simply is easier to
    >>> use, at least for the users in question.

    >>
    >> I have documented my experience with Linux. You refuse to accept it.

    >
    > Your claimed experience is completely irrelevant to the question:


    It is not claimed experience, is is factual experience. And it is
    relevant. You brought it. Again.
    YOUR WORDS ABOVE : "You do not know Linux well enough..."

    >
    > What ease of use features does Ubuntu have that OS X does not?
    >
    > You whine when others do not answer your questions (even when they
    > have!) but you refuse to answer questions asked of you. That makes you
    > a hypocrite.
    >
    >>> 2) When I noted that "the people who make Ubuntu are the ones
    >>> who chose what applications they want to include" you claimed this
    >>> shows I am "clueless". So, Rick, who do you think makes those
    >>> decisions?
    >>>
    >>> You will not answer because, of course, I am right. Even you have
    >>> come to realize this. And you avoid the topic because it shows how
    >>> little you know of Linux.
    >>>
    >>> 3) On seeing this:
    >>> and having it explained that it was a relatively stock version of
    >>> Ubuntu, you still asked if the lack of appropriate dialog was from
    >>> Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or Metacity! I have repeatedly answered your
    >>> question but I am *still* not sure you understand. Can you answer
    >>> the question in your own words?

    >>
    >> Lies. All lies.

    >
    > You will not answer. That is clearly a fact.


    I have answered the above paragraph.

    >
    >>> You will not - you know that the very fact you felt the need to ask
    >>> the question shows how little you understand of Linux and you are
    >>> embarrassed.

    >>
    >> I am not embarrassed about anything. I have documented my experience
    >> using Linux. You refuse to accept it.

    >
    > I have no obligation to accept your claims... and even if I did accept
    > them they would not answer the questions asked of you.
    >
    >> As a little more documentation:
    >> Yes, I was using
    >> Linux on Macs years ago.

    >
    > Irrelevant to the questions:
    >
    > Who do you think decides what applications to include in a distro.


    It IS relevant, since you have just said "you do not know Linux well
    enough...".


    >
    > I say it is the people who make the distro - but you claim that means I
    > am "clueless". So provide your own answer.
    >
    > But you won't.
    >
    > With a relatively stock version of Ubuntu, as here:
    > , do you think the
    > lack of appropriate dialog was from Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or
    > Metacity?
    >
    > I have answered the question. Why can't you? If you truly had the
    > experience you claimed to have it would be a breeze - but you cannot.


    I do not. There is a difference.

    >
    > ...
    >>> 4) Why did you want to know what software I used to make a video?
    >>>
    >>> The answer is clear - you had no idea how I did it.

    >>
    >> I asked you what you used, because I wanted to know. You cannot know
    >> why I wanted to know because I didn't tell you.

    >
    > As I have noted: you often do not answer questions. You then whine
    > about how others do not answer your questions - even when they do! This
    > shows you are a hypocrite and a liar.


    Pot. Kettle. Black.

    >
    >>> You do not know how to make such videos. You are too embarrassed to
    >>> admit when you are ignorant of something... especially something I
    >>> clearly find to be easy.

    >>
    >> I don't know how to make such videos?
    >> ... and it was made with
    >> an OSS app under Linux.

    >
    > Lovely... a broken movie. LOL!


    Broken? How?

    >
    >> That is my #4 Desktop. The distro is PCLinuxOS, with WindowMaker as the
    >> window manager. The theme is customized LinuxOnIce. Mozilla is using
    >> the gtk AquaX theme.

    >
    > Your movie is broken... which I find beyond funny! Every time you try
    > to show off your lovely knowledge you simply blow it... your attempts
    > get more pathetic every time you try. For the record your video fails
    > on Ubuntu, XP and OS X.


    Broken? How? It plays on my desktop. It plays under Firefox. How is it
    broken? What browsers are you using in Ubuntu, XP and OS X. Do you have
    mpg codecs installed?

    Interesting. I just started Ubunutu in a VM. The file did not DL. I tried
    in XP, and there was no suitable codec. Once vlc was installed, with the
    Mozilla plugin, it played fine.

    ON W2k, it also did not play with Quicktime used as the default player.
    It plays with vlc installed.

    Maybe I should have just uploaded the ogg file.

    It plays under PCLOS and Firefox or Konqueror.

    >
    >>> Now you are asking other questions that show your lack of knowledge:
    >>> you do not know the difference between market share (the percent of
    >>> total sales a product enjoys) and "userbase" (you likely really meant
    >>> "user base", which is the number of users of a product). Why should I
    >>> waste my time answering questions you will later claim - surely - that
    >>> you already knew the answer and were just "testing" me...

    >>
    >> Actually, I wasn't testing. I was asking what you thought the
    >> definitions were and which was more important.

    >
    > More important for what?


    .... if YOU THOUGHT either market share or user base were more important
    than the other.

    >
    >>> as though I am obligated to take your silly little tests.

    >>
    >> You are not obligated to do anything, although you certainly act as if
    >> people are obligated to answer yours.
    >>
    >>> I prefer *real* conversation to your back pedaling BS.

    >>
    >> I will never learn.

    (dishonest Snit snippage)


    >
    > Sadly you are likely correct. If you really do have as many years
    > working with Linux as you (sometimes) claim then it is clear you have a
    > very, very hard time learning.
    >
    > I snipped your silly insults. Such games bore me.


    But you didn't mark my comments as snipped.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: Linux market share

    "Rick" stated in post 13pq0ejad9vcs8c@news.supernews.com
    on 1/27/08 3:12 PM:

    > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:08:22 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> 13ppr932gmakgc3@news.supernews.com on 1/27/08 1:44 PM:
    >>
    >>>>>> I would prefer for you to focus and stay on topic. You have a habit
    >>>>>> of being unable to do that.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I didn't think you would answer specific questions.
    >>>>
    >>>> I am hoping to keep you focused, but since you bring up the topic of
    >>>> answering specific questions maybe you will, now, answer the questions
    >>>> you have been clearly unable to answer (for reasons I state, below):
    >>>>
    >>>> 1) In the context of a discussion about novice and non-techie
    >>>> users, you claimed Ubuntu was as easy as OS X. What ease of use
    >>>> features do you think Ubuntu has that OS X lacks?
    >>>
    >>> No, I said Linux was as easy or easier.

    >>
    >> So the question is in what way - what ease of use features does it have
    >> that OS X does not?

    >
    > ... as I said, you ask as if people are obligated to answer you.


    Yet you whine and whine and whine when people do not respond to you... you
    are a hypocrite.

    In the end, however, I do not expect you to support your claim that Ubuntu
    is as easy to use - or easier - than is OS X. You cannot support that
    because, clearly, it is not true. If you knew Linux and OS X even passingly
    well you would know this and not have made the claim you did.

    >>>> You have refused to answer - the reason is simple. You can't. You do
    >>>> not know Linux well enough *and*, overall, OS X simply is easier to
    >>>> use, at least for the users in question.
    >>>
    >>> I have documented my experience with Linux. You refuse to accept it.

    >>
    >> Your claimed experience is completely irrelevant to the question:

    >
    > It is not claimed experience


    Here you say it is not your claim.

    > , is is factual experience.


    Here you repeat your claim.

    Both cannot be true. You are lying.

    > And it is relevant. You brought it. Again. YOUR WORDS ABOVE : "You do not know
    > Linux well enough..."


    Your claimed experience is completely irrelevant. If you really knew Linux
    you would not make the mistakes you have made, even recently:

    ----------
    In the context of novice and non-techie users of Ubuntu:

    * Rick claimed that Ubuntu was as easy to use as OS X. I showed
    many reasons why this was *not* the case by showing in quite
    some detail a number of ease of use options OS X has that Ubuntu
    lack. Rick completely failed to support his claim and only
    after posting on the issue post after post did he retcon
    the whole thing and say he never even tried. LOL! Riiiiight!

    * When I told him that "the people who make Ubuntu are the ones
    who chose what applications they want to include" he told me
    this shows I am "clueless". Who does he think makes those
    decisions?

    * On seeing this:
    and having it explained that it was a relatively stock version of
    Ubuntu, Rick still asked if the lack of appropriate dialog was
    from Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or Metacity! Even after I made it
    very, very clear I was well aware of the answer he pretended that
    he was asking merely to get me to tell him what I already had!

    * Rick suggested these users (of Ubuntu!) use Notepad or Word Pad
    to make web pages and learn what Ogg Vorbis is.

    * Rick pointed me to a website with comments about him listing things
    he later admitted were not even really what he claimed to have
    done. I noted that the page has several flaws - including a
    background that was tiled but should not have been (at least
    horizontally). At first he denied his site had this problem
    but later, after I showed him a way to verify it, he relented
    and admitted I was right. Rick also, to his credit, admitted
    I am the one who pointed him to the W3 verification services -
    a service any real web teacher should know about!

    Even after I have quoted him doing each of those things he *still* denies
    them and calls me names for pointing out his errors.
    ----------

    You can go round and round on this, Rick, but this is not a debate - those
    are simple facts. Your denials do not change the facts.

    >>
    >> What ease of use features does Ubuntu have that OS X does not?
    >>
    >> You whine when others do not answer your questions (even when they
    >> have!) but you refuse to answer questions asked of you. That makes you
    >> a hypocrite.
    >>
    >>>> 2) When I noted that "the people who make Ubuntu are the ones
    >>>> who chose what applications they want to include" you claimed this
    >>>> shows I am "clueless". So, Rick, who do you think makes those
    >>>> decisions?
    >>>>
    >>>> You will not answer because, of course, I am right. Even you have
    >>>> come to realize this. And you avoid the topic because it shows how
    >>>> little you know of Linux.
    >>>>
    >>>> 3) On seeing this:
    >>>> and having it explained that it was a relatively stock version of
    >>>> Ubuntu, you still asked if the lack of appropriate dialog was from
    >>>> Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or Metacity! I have repeatedly answered your
    >>>> question but I am *still* not sure you understand. Can you answer
    >>>> the question in your own words?
    >>>
    >>> Lies. All lies.

    >>
    >> You will not answer. That is clearly a fact.

    >
    > I have answered the above paragraph.


    You have not answered:

    Who do you think decides what to include in a distro?

    And:

    Do you think it is Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or Metacity that
    acts the way I show and describe - not presenting good
    user info when a file is clicked on?

    No matter how much experience you claim to have, Rick, you clearly are very,
    very much of a novice with Linux to not be able to answer those simple
    questions!


    >> Lovely... a broken movie. LOL!

    >
    > Broken? How?


    In the way I described: it does not play with default Ubuntu, OS X, or XP.
    I did download it and get it to play with VLC... but clearly you have a lot
    to learn about presenting a move... hence the reason you asked me how I did
    it. No big deal: as I usually do when asked questions I answered politely
    and promptly.

    ....
    >> More important for what?

    >
    > ... if YOU THOUGHT either market share or user base were more important
    > than the other.


    More important for what?

    Your question is simply asinine... how can I say what is more important for
    a goal you will not specify.

    As even you have noted, though, you lack a capacity to learn.


    --
    "Uh... ask me after we ship the next version of Windows [laughs] then I'll
    be more open to give you a blunt answer." - Bill Gates



  16. Re: more snit lies

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:55:07 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13pq0ejad9vcs8c@news.supernews.com on 1/27/08 3:12 PM:
    >
    >> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:08:22 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 13ppr932gmakgc3@news.supernews.com on 1/27/08 1:44 PM:
    >>>
    >>>>>>> I would prefer for you to focus and stay on topic. You have a
    >>>>>>> habit of being unable to do that.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I didn't think you would answer specific questions.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I am hoping to keep you focused, but since you bring up the topic of
    >>>>> answering specific questions maybe you will, now, answer the
    >>>>> questions you have been clearly unable to answer (for reasons I
    >>>>> state, below):
    >>>>>
    >>>>> 1) In the context of a discussion about novice and non-techie
    >>>>> users, you claimed Ubuntu was as easy as OS X. What ease of use
    >>>>> features do you think Ubuntu has that OS X lacks?
    >>>>
    >>>> No, I said Linux was as easy or easier.
    >>>
    >>> So the question is in what way - what ease of use features does it
    >>> have that OS X does not?

    >>
    >> ... as I said, you ask as if people are obligated to answer you.

    >
    > Yet you whine and whine and whine when people do not respond to you...
    > you are a hypocrite.


    You are a liar.

    >
    > In the end, however, I do not expect you to support your claim that
    > Ubuntu is as easy to use - or easier - than is OS X. You cannot support
    > that because, clearly, it is not true. If you knew Linux and OS X even
    > passingly well you would know this and not have made the claim you did.


    .... and yet, I was able to install Linux on a Mac, and on a PC, evaluate
    the operating systems, and decide to move to Linux.

    >
    >>>>> You have refused to answer - the reason is simple. You can't. You
    >>>>> do not know Linux well enough *and*, overall, OS X simply is easier
    >>>>> to use, at least for the users in question.
    >>>>
    >>>> I have documented my experience with Linux. You refuse to accept it.
    >>>
    >>> Your claimed experience is completely irrelevant to the question:

    >>
    >> It is not claimed experience

    >
    > Here you say it is not your claim.


    No, I said it is not claimed experience, is factual experience. There is
    a difference.

    >
    >> , is is factual experience.

    >
    > Here you repeat your claim.


    It is nit a claim. It is fact.

    >
    > Both cannot be true. You are lying.


    You are lying.

    >
    >> And it is relevant. You brought it. Again. YOUR WORDS ABOVE : "You do
    >> not know Linux well enough..."

    >
    > Your claimed experience is completely irrelevant. If you really knew
    > Linux you would not make the mistakes you have made, even recently:
    >
    > ----------

    (more snit lies snipped).


    --
    Rick

  17. Re: Linux market share

    "Rick" stated in post 13pqfbti0ivce2d@news.supernews.com
    on 1/27/08 7:27 PM:

    >> Yet you whine and whine and whine when people do not respond to you...
    >> you are a hypocrite.
    >>
    >> In the end, however, I do not expect you to support your claim that
    >> Ubuntu is as easy to use - or easier - than is OS X. You cannot support
    >> that because, clearly, it is not true. If you knew Linux and OS X even
    >> passingly well you would know this and not have made the claim you did.

    >
    > ... and yet, I was able to install Linux on a Mac, and on a PC, evaluate
    > the operating systems, and decide to move to Linux.


    So you claim. OK.

    ....
    > It is nit a claim. It is fact.


    Is your nit a nit or not a nit, perhaps even a not? But if your nit is a
    not and not a nit then you did not say what you meant to. Perhaps just a
    nit on my part, eh?

    In any case, you are simply lying: your claim cannot both be your claim and
    not be your claim at the same time.

    > And it is relevant. You brought it. Again. YOUR WORDS ABOVE : "You do not know
    > Linux well enough..."


    Your claimed experience is completely irrelevant. If you really knew Linux
    you would not make the mistakes you have made, even recently:

    ----------
    In the context of novice and non-techie users of Ubuntu:

    * Rick claimed that Ubuntu was as easy to use as OS X. I showed
    many reasons why this was *not* the case by showing in quite
    some detail a number of ease of use options OS X has that Ubuntu
    lack. Rick completely failed to support his claim and only
    after posting on the issue post after post did he retcon
    the whole thing and say he never even tried. LOL! Riiiiight!

    * When I told him that "the people who make Ubuntu are the ones
    who chose what applications they want to include" he told me
    this shows I am "clueless". Who does he think makes those
    decisions?

    * On seeing this:
    and having it explained that it was a relatively stock version of
    Ubuntu, Rick still asked if the lack of appropriate dialog was
    from Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or Metacity! Even after I made it
    very, very clear I was well aware of the answer he pretended that
    he was asking merely to get me to tell him what I already had!

    * Rick suggested these users (of Ubuntu!) use Notepad or Word Pad
    to make web pages and learn what Ogg Vorbis is.

    * Rick pointed me to a website with comments about him listing things
    he later admitted were not even really what he claimed to have
    done. I noted that the page has several flaws - including a
    background that was tiled but should not have been (at least
    horizontally). At first he denied his site had this problem
    but later, after I showed him a way to verify it, he relented
    and admitted I was right. Rick also, to his credit, admitted
    I am the one who pointed him to the W3 verification services -
    a service any real web teacher should know about!

    Even after I have quoted him doing each of those things he *still* denies
    them and calls me names for pointing out his errors.
    ----------

    You can go round and round on this, Rick, but this is not a debate - those
    are simple facts. Your denials do not change the facts.

    >>
    >> What ease of use features does Ubuntu have that OS X does not?
    >>
    >> You whine when others do not answer your questions (even when they
    >> have!) but you refuse to answer questions asked of you. That makes you
    >> a hypocrite.
    >>
    >>>> 2) When I noted that "the people who make Ubuntu are the ones
    >>>> who chose what applications they want to include" you claimed this
    >>>> shows I am "clueless". So, Rick, who do you think makes those
    >>>> decisions?
    >>>>
    >>>> You will not answer because, of course, I am right. Even you have
    >>>> come to realize this. And you avoid the topic because it shows how
    >>>> little you know of Linux.
    >>>>
    >>>> 3) On seeing this:
    >>>> and having it explained that it was a relatively stock version of
    >>>> Ubuntu, you still asked if the lack of appropriate dialog was from
    >>>> Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or Metacity! I have repeatedly answered your
    >>>> question but I am *still* not sure you understand. Can you answer
    >>>> the question in your own words?
    >>>
    >>> Lies. All lies.

    >>
    >> You will not answer. That is clearly a fact.

    >
    > I have answered the above paragraph.


    You have not answered:

    Who do you think decides what to include in a distro?

    And:

    Do you think it is Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or Metacity that
    acts the way I show and describe - not presenting good
    user info when a file is clicked on?

    No matter how much experience you claim to have, Rick, you clearly are very,
    very much of a novice with Linux to not be able to answer those simple
    questions!


    >> Lovely... a broken movie. LOL!

    >
    > Broken? How?


    In the way I described: it does not play with default Ubuntu, OS X, or XP.
    I did download it and get it to play with VLC... but clearly you have a lot
    to learn about presenting a move... hence the reason you asked me how I did
    it. No big deal: as I usually do when asked questions I answered politely
    and promptly.

    ....
    >> More important for what?

    >
    > ... if YOU THOUGHT either market share or user base were more important
    > than the other.


    More important for what?

    Your question is simply asinine... how can I say what is more important for
    a goal you will not specify.

    As even you have noted, though, you lack a capacity to learn.



    --
    Do you ever wake up in a cold sweat wondering what the world would be
    like if the Lamarckian view of evolutionary had ended up being accepted
    over Darwin's?


  18. Re: Linux market share

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:55:36 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13pqfbti0ivce2d@news.supernews.com on 1/27/08 7:27 PM:
    >
    >>> Yet you whine and whine and whine when people do not respond to you...
    >>> you are a hypocrite.
    >>>
    >>> In the end, however, I do not expect you to support your claim that
    >>> Ubuntu is as easy to use - or easier - than is OS X. You cannot
    >>> support that because, clearly, it is not true. If you knew Linux and
    >>> OS X even passingly well you would know this and not have made the
    >>> claim you did.

    >>
    >> ... and yet, I was able to install Linux on a Mac, and on a PC,
    >> evaluate the operating systems, and decide to move to Linux.

    >
    > So you claim. OK.


    There you go with your passive-aggressive implications of dishonesty.

    >
    > ...
    >> It is nit a claim. It is fact.

    >
    > Is your nit a nit or not a nit, perhaps even a not? But if your nit is
    > a not and not a nit then you did not say what you meant to. Perhaps
    > just a nit on my part, eh?


    Fine asshole:

    It isn't a claim. It is fact.
    Happy now?
    >
    > In any case, you are simply lying: your claim cannot both be your claim
    > and not be your claim at the same time.


    IT IS NOT A ****IING CLAIM, IT IS A FACT.

    >
    >> And it is relevant. You brought it. Again. YOUR WORDS ABOVE : "You do
    >> not know Linux well enough..."

    >

    (snit circus snipped)



    --
    Rick

  19. Re: Linux market share

    "Rick" stated in post 13pqik4f3291l96@news.supernews.com
    on 1/27/08 8:22 PM:

    > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:55:36 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> 13pqfbti0ivce2d@news.supernews.com on 1/27/08 7:27 PM:
    >>
    >>>> Yet you whine and whine and whine when people do not respond to you...
    >>>> you are a hypocrite.
    >>>>
    >>>> In the end, however, I do not expect you to support your claim that
    >>>> Ubuntu is as easy to use - or easier - than is OS X. You cannot
    >>>> support that because, clearly, it is not true. If you knew Linux and
    >>>> OS X even passingly well you would know this and not have made the
    >>>> claim you did.
    >>>
    >>> ... and yet, I was able to install Linux on a Mac, and on a PC,
    >>> evaluate the operating systems, and decide to move to Linux.

    >>
    >> So you claim. OK.
    >>
    >> ...
    >>> It is nit a claim. It is fact.

    >>
    >> Is your nit a nit or not a nit, perhaps even a not? But if your nit is
    >> a not and not a nit then you did not say what you meant to. Perhaps
    >> just a nit on my part, eh?

    >
    > It isn't a claim. It is fact.
    > Happy now?


    Ah, you claim the things you claim are facts are not really claims. What a
    bizarre lack of logic you have!

    >> In any case, you are simply lying: your claim cannot both be your claim
    >> and not be your claim at the same time.

    >
    > IT IS NOT A ****IING CLAIM, IT IS A FACT.


    You need to look up the word "claim", stop using such language, and learn
    that all-caps is considered poor netiquette.



    --
    The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of
    limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and
    great nations. - David Friedman


  20. Re: Linux market share

    "Rick" stated in post 13pqik4f3291l96@news.supernews.com
    on 1/27/08 8:22 PM:

    > And it is relevant. You brought it. Again. YOUR WORDS ABOVE : "You do not know
    > Linux well enough..."


    Your claimed experience is completely irrelevant. If you really knew Linux
    you would not make the mistakes you have made, even recently:

    ----------
    In the context of novice and non-techie users of Ubuntu:

    * Rick claimed that Ubuntu was as easy to use as OS X. I showed
    many reasons why this was *not* the case by showing in quite
    some detail a number of ease of use options OS X has that Ubuntu
    lack. Rick completely failed to support his claim and only
    after posting on the issue post after post did he retcon
    the whole thing and say he never even tried. LOL! Riiiiight!

    * When I told him that "the people who make Ubuntu are the ones
    who chose what applications they want to include" he told me
    this shows I am "clueless". Who does he think makes those
    decisions?

    * On seeing this:
    and having it explained that it was a relatively stock version of
    Ubuntu, Rick still asked if the lack of appropriate dialog was
    from Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or Metacity! Even after I made it
    very, very clear I was well aware of the answer he pretended that
    he was asking merely to get me to tell him what I already had!

    * Rick suggested these users (of Ubuntu!) use Notepad or Word Pad
    to make web pages and learn what Ogg Vorbis is.

    * Rick pointed me to a website with comments about him listing things
    he later admitted were not even really what he claimed to have
    done. I noted that the page has several flaws - including a
    background that was tiled but should not have been (at least
    horizontally). At first he denied his site had this problem
    but later, after I showed him a way to verify it, he relented
    and admitted I was right. Rick also, to his credit, admitted
    I am the one who pointed him to the W3 verification services -
    a service any real web teacher should know about!

    Even after I have quoted him doing each of those things he *still* denies
    them and calls me names for pointing out his errors.
    ----------

    You can go round and round on this, Rick, but this is not a debate - those
    are simple facts. Your denials do not change the facts.

    >>
    >> What ease of use features does Ubuntu have that OS X does not?
    >>
    >> You whine when others do not answer your questions (even when they
    >> have!) but you refuse to answer questions asked of you. That makes you
    >> a hypocrite.
    >>
    >>>> 2) When I noted that "the people who make Ubuntu are the ones
    >>>> who chose what applications they want to include" you claimed this
    >>>> shows I am "clueless". So, Rick, who do you think makes those
    >>>> decisions?
    >>>>
    >>>> You will not answer because, of course, I am right. Even you have
    >>>> come to realize this. And you avoid the topic because it shows how
    >>>> little you know of Linux.
    >>>>
    >>>> 3) On seeing this:
    >>>> and having it explained that it was a relatively stock version of
    >>>> Ubuntu, you still asked if the lack of appropriate dialog was from
    >>>> Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or Metacity! I have repeatedly answered your
    >>>> question but I am *still* not sure you understand. Can you answer
    >>>> the question in your own words?
    >>>
    >>> Lies. All lies.

    >>
    >> You will not answer. That is clearly a fact.

    >
    > I have answered the above paragraph.


    You have not answered:

    Who do you think decides what to include in a distro?

    And:

    Do you think it is Ubuntu, Nautilus and/or Metacity that
    acts the way I show and describe - not presenting good
    user info when a file is clicked on?

    No matter how much experience you claim to have, Rick, you clearly are very,
    very much of a novice with Linux to not be able to answer those simple
    questions!


    >> Lovely... a broken movie. LOL!

    >
    > Broken? How?


    In the way I described: it does not play with default Ubuntu, OS X, or XP.
    I did download it and get it to play with VLC... but clearly you have a lot
    to learn about presenting a move... hence the reason you asked me how I did
    it. No big deal: as I usually do when asked questions I answered politely
    and promptly.

    ....
    >> More important for what?

    >
    > ... if YOU THOUGHT either market share or user base were more important
    > than the other.


    More important for what?

    Your question is simply asinine... how can I say what is more important for
    a goal you will not specify.

    As even you have noted, though, you lack a capacity to learn.



    --
    Is Swiss cheese made out of hole milk?


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast