Getting started with Ubuntu - Linux

This is a discussion on Getting started with Ubuntu - Linux ; A joint Intel/Canonical effort aimed at Intel channel partners & system builders: http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...eng/381118.htm -- This message was sent from a computer which is guaranteed 100% free of the M$ Windoze virus. -- 64bit GNU/Linux systems --...

  1. Getting started with Ubuntu

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.
    -- 64bit GNU/Linux systems --

  2. Re: Getting started with Ubuntu

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:24:14 +0000, William Poaster wrote:

    > A joint Intel/Canonical effort aimed at Intel channel partners & system
    > builders:
    >
    > http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...eng/381118.htm

    Ubuntu, Ubuntu....

    It's too bad PCLinuxOS isn't getting more press.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Getting started with Ubuntu

    * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > A joint Intel/Canonical effort aimed at Intel channel partners & system
    > builders:
    >
    > http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...eng/381118.htm

    Canonical is offering a Compatibility Testing kit to all Intel®
    Premier and Associate members who attend the webcast, a US $1,200
    value, absolutely free. Test Ubuntu compatibility on an unlimited
    number of platforms - desktop or laptop - in your own facilities.

    Neat! Some progress.

    Ain't it ironic, though, how this promise of real competition comes at
    the behest of a (currently) philanthropic outfit peddling free software.

    This should be headline news, certainly in the IT press, if not in the
    mainstream press. Why isn't it?

    --
    Spam will be a thing of the past in two years' time.
    -- Bill Gates, BBC News (24 January 2004)

  4. Re: Getting started with Ubuntu

    ____/ Rick on Sunday 27 January 2008 14:43 : \____

    > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:24:14 +0000, William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> A joint Intel/Canonical effort aimed at Intel channel partners & system
    >> builders:
    >>
    >> http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...eng/381118.htm

    > Ubuntu, Ubuntu....
    >
    > It's too bad PCLinuxOS isn't getting more press.

    Watch DW. Sometimes the greatest things grow quietly. Red Hat is said to be a
    giant that grows amazingly fast yet quietly. This was pointed out in a podcast
    a couple of months ago. They try to keep a low profile, apparently.

    Many people in the Linux world barf at the mention of the word "Ubuntu",
    especially if they don't use Ubuntu. That comes to show the bad impact of
    excessive exposure. Watch how Coca Cola advertises itself.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | (S)oftware (U)nd (S)ystem(E)ntwicklung
    roy pts/4 cg093a.halls.man Mon Jan 28 02:01 - 10:00 (07:58)

  5. Re: Getting started with Ubuntu

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Rick on Sunday 27 January 2008 14:43 : \____
    >
    >> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:24:14 +0000, William Poaster wrote:
    >>
    >>> A joint Intel/Canonical effort aimed at Intel channel partners & system
    >>> builders:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...eng/381118.htm

    >> Ubuntu, Ubuntu....
    >>
    >> It's too bad PCLinuxOS isn't getting more press.

    > Watch DW. Sometimes the greatest things grow quietly. Red Hat is said to
    > be a giant that grows amazingly fast yet quietly. This was pointed out in
    > a podcast a couple of months ago. They try to keep a low profile,
    > apparently.
    >
    > Many people in the Linux world barf at the mention of the word "Ubuntu",
    > especially if they don't use Ubuntu. That comes to show the bad impact of
    > excessive exposure. Watch how Coca Cola advertises itself.

    For noobies, I install either Kubuntu or PCLOS on people's machines, &
    usually with a KDE desktop. With linux you can run Live-CDs on their PCs, &
    they can choose which they like. I find that Windoze users are often quite
    surprised that they *have* a choice, *&* that they can actually do what
    they like with the OS. Some have called me later, & other LUG members too,
    & asked about installing other distributions like Mandriva, Fedora etc.

    As a footnote: so far this month, the local LUG has wiped 16 machines for
    people who were dual booting with Vista & replaced with a linux
    distribution.

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.
    -- 64bit GNU/Linux systems --

  6. Re: Getting started with Ubuntu

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:45:39 +0000, William Poaster wrote:

    > As a footnote: so far this month, the local LUG has wiped 16 machines for
    > people who were dual booting with Vista & replaced with a linux
    > distribution.

    Hopefully they have working restore DVDs because my guess is at least 15 of
    them will be back next meeting to get Vista put back.

+ Reply to Thread