Upstreaming hardware data - MonitorsDB

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell, over the years, has by my count sold 197 different monitor types, and
| releases several more each month. We'd like to see those monitors appear in
| the drop-down list of your favorite Linux monitor configuration tools.
| However, each Linux distribution has had their own private copy of this list,
| meaning there's a good bit of work to keep every distribution updated
| whenever a new monitor is released.
| [...]
| I helped get the hwdata package moved out, into its own upstream project.
| From here, the Fedora, RHEL, and other distributions, and their packages, can
| pull the latest MonitorsDB file.

"I’d be glad to help tilt lotus into into the death spiral. I could do it
Friday afternoon but not Saturday. I could do it pretty much any time the
following week."

--Brad Silverberg, Microsoft

Killer lasers menace Linux Thinkpads

| The first thing is by far the most significant, a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 and R61
| laptop. They are not new, but the fact that the Linux models, all running
| Suse 10.1, will be out next week is huge news. Finally, you can get a
| corporate laptop with no downsides, and it doesn't have the Vista malware
| shoved down your throat. Way to go Lenovo. * *

Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?

,----[ Quote ]
| We asked a simple question: what Microsoft product could have used a little
| more polish before release? The answer astounded us. We would just like to
| thank Bill Gates for his honesty and his openness.

Rex Ballards's Windows Vista Report (Death of Sales, by the Numbers):

,----[ Quote ]
| Days Millions Average/day Rate/Day
| 30 20 670k 670k
| 100 40 400k 290k
| 180 60 330k 250k
| 300 88 290k 230k
| 375 100 270k 160k

Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft says it remains happy with enterprise sales of Vista -- however,
| the software behemoth acknowledges that many businesses which have bought
| Vista licences are yet to deploy the software.

Will Windows Vista Succeed In 2008? Don't Count On It

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista has certainly been slow out of the gate. Sure, Microsoft is putting the
| operating system on newly shipped systems, but Vista sales didn’t benefit
| from the upgrade surge that previous OSes got upon release. A year after it
| began shipping, less than one percent of corporate desktops are running
| Vista.
| ^^^^^

Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

,----[ Quote ]