Asterisk is no longer just a PBX footnote

,----[ Quote ]
| While Asterisk IP PBX software can be a boon for cash-strapped businesses
| that need phone upgrades, the free, open source platform has also spawned a
| host of for-profit vendors that charge for Asterisk professional services,
| peripherals and software extensions and still manage to undercut the prices
| charged by more established IP PBX vendors.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news

One million downloads last years. Deployments can be greater in terms of
numbers.

Days ago:

InfoWorld Names Digium(R) Asterisk(R) a Top Technology Impacting 2008 IT

,----[ Quote ]
| InfoWorld reports, "a complete IP PBX released as open source under the GNU
| Public License, Asterisk is built to run on commodity hardware, providing
| considerable cost savings when compared with commercial alternatives, and it
| leverages the open source community for additional testing, bug fixes, and
| feature development." * *
`----

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-infow...10/3204744.htm
http://tinyurl.com/36h9bl

Digium Unveils Business-Class "Digium|Asterisk Marketplace"

,----[ Quote ]
| New Digium website provides a one-stop destination for Asterisk-related
| products and services
`----

http://www.digium.com/en/mediacenter...sk-marketplace

Linux-Based VoIP Partnership Announced

,----[ Quote ]
| Chipmaker Broadcom and software developer Trolltech this week formed a
| partnership to create a multimedia voice over IP development platform based
| on Linux. *
`----

Linux VoIP stack powers "kitchen communicator" design

,----[ Quote ]
| Trolltech has announced a new spin on its Qtopia software stack for
| Linux-based devices.
`----

Related:

Asterisk awakens open source love in telecom entrepreneur

,----[ Quote ]
| Fribush's previous company produced Web telephony software for the online
| dating industry. When that business was sold in 2006, he started looking for
| his next project and noticed an interesting trend. "We were looking at the
| Asterisk movement, and we started looking at some of the momentum," Fribush
| says. "It was a big disrupter. And we thought that one of the missing pieces
| was a turnkey solution where the application was actually hosted." Fribush
| partnered with his friend Michael Rand to launch Aretta
| Communications. "That's really the start of my open source background. I've
| really always been a Microsoft guy. You get converted when you see the power
| of open source tools. Now it is the majority of our infrastructure." * * * *
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/123066

Digium preps Asterisk Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| "We developed our own GUI [which is] similar to Trixbox [distribution],
| but the purpose of AsteriskNow is to provide a distribution built
| around Asterisk technology so people can use it without the GUI," he
| said. "The GUI is the same as the Asterisk Appliance that looks
| like a Linksys router that runs Asterisk and has analogue ports."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...24;fp;2;fpid;1

Linux dominating VoIP devices?

,----[ Quote ]
| Trolltech says its development framework and software stack for mobile
| devices was selected by Skype as the preferred platform for Skype-certified
| VoIP (voice-over-IP) phones. Additionally, the Qtopia framework/stack has
| been used in about 40 VoIP devices, making it the "dominant Linux
| development platform for VoIP/WiFi devices," according to Trolltech.
`----

Digium Takes Best of Open Source Software Award

`----

http://www.voip-news.com/blog/200709...oftware-award/