Scheduler Merges for 2.6.25

,----[ Quote ]
| Ingo Molnar posted a merge request for the latest git scheduler tree
| summarizing, "it contains various enhancements to the scheduler - find the
| full shortlog is below. 96 commits from 19 authors - scheduler developers
| have been busy again.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/15345

Supporting The Latest and Greatest; Supporting the Oldest and Slowest

,----[ Quote ]
| Kudos to the developers at Vector Linux for scaling down as well as scaling
| up. There’s nothing more friendly to the environment or the budget than
| keeping an old system going rather than building or buying a new one. So long
| as a computer can do what you need it to do it’s not obsolete. I’ll be
| following up my AliXe review with reviews of other lightweight and small
| footprint Linux distributions, including Vector Linux Light when it’s
| released.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog..._and_grea.html

Days ago:

Impossible thing #1: Developing efficient, well engineered free software like
Debian GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| So, not only does free software represent a vast amount of effort, but it is
| apparently very well-engineered and efficient effort leading to an even
| higher use value than equivalent proprietary products! Not only can free
| software manage large, complex projects, but it appears to do it better than
| proprietary methods.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...ike_gnu_debian

Related:

Is There Perfection in The Linux Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a perfect world, you could compile a brand-new Linux kernel
| without the need for much configuration and without error.
|
| According to Linus Torvalds, the new 2.6.19 Linux kernel is such
| an entity.
|
| "It's one of those rare "perfect" kernels," Torvalds wrote in a
| Linux kernel mailing list posting announcing the new kernel.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3646456

Will Windows Vista Succeed In 2008? Don't Count On It

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista has certainly been slow out of the gate. Sure, Microsoft is putting the
| operating system on newly shipped systems, but Vista sales didn’t benefit
| from the upgrade surge that previous OSes got upon release. A year after it
| began shipping, less than one percent of corporate desktops are running
| * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
| Vista. * *
| ^^^^^
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...indows_vi.html

Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles...n.olympic.pcs/

| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday. *

| Lenovo.

`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

Interesting comment from CompUSA

,----[ Quote ]
| Every single one of them he said was returned from consumers... and that they
| (CompUSA) couldn't ship them back. As he heard, Microsoft wasn't giving
| credit back for unsold or returned copies... and didn't want the returned
| figures made public... He wouldn't say that every single one of them
| exchanged for a copy of Xp, he didn't know if that was true. So, I asked how
| many boxes did they have. Same glare, followed with a "You do not want to
| know" type statement. * * *
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/12/i...m-compusa.html

Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed