Ubuntu - going strong and here to stay - Linux

This is a discussion on Ubuntu - going strong and here to stay - Linux ; http://www.ubuntu.com/news/MostUserFriendlyAward Ubuntu Wins Most User Friendly Linux Distribution Award 16 November 2006, London - Canonical Ltd, the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu, today announced it has scooped another two awards for Ubuntu, its leading-edge Linux distribution. At the Linux New Media ...

  1. Ubuntu - going strong and here to stay

    http://www.ubuntu.com/news/MostUserFriendlyAward

    Ubuntu Wins Most User Friendly Linux Distribution Award

    16 November 2006, London - Canonical Ltd, the commercial sponsor
    of Ubuntu, today announced it has scooped another two awards for
    Ubuntu, its leading-edge Linux distribution. At the Linux New
    Media Awards, on Wednesday 15th November, Ubuntu was awarded
    'Most User-Friendly Linux Distribution', and Canonical the 'Best
    combination of Community and Commerce'. Ubuntu also picked up the
    'Best Linux/Open Source Distribution', for the second year
    running, at the 2006 UK Linux and Open Source Awards in October.
    Ubuntu, still going strong.

    http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...x/default.aspx

    Linux

    Ubuntu 7.10 on the XPS M1330, Ubuntu Coming to Customers in Spain
    Wed. Jan. 23, 2008
    by Daniel Judd, Product Group Strategist

    Since we've began offering Ubuntu on some consumer
    systems, two clear areas of feedback from the IdeaStorm community
    and Direct2Dell readers have been: offer Ubuntu on more
    hardware, and offer it worldwide.This Ubuntu-related post is
    still the third most commented post in Direct2Dell's history-many
    of the 654 comments are asking for it in more countries.

    Now Ubuntu 7.10 is making it's way to our XPS 1330 laptop
    and Dell will begin offering Ubuntu in Spain.

    Starting today, customers in Germany, United Kingdom,
    France and now Spain can purchaseUbuntu Linux 7.10 with built-in
    DVD playback on the XPS 1330n (in addition to the
    previously-released Inspiron 530n desktop system. For U.S.
    customers, you'll have to hold on a week or so.

    Ubuntu 7.10 runs great on the XPS M1330. It has more
    power, more style. Take a look at the Dell UK Ubuntu website for
    more details.

    Thank you to the Linux community for the support. Your
    purchases and your commitment is the driving force behind this
    expansion, and is the key to more in the future.
    --
    HPT

  2. Re: Ubuntu - going strong and here to stay

    "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/news/MostUserFriendlyAward
    >

    > Ubuntu Wins Most User Friendly Linux Distribution Award
    >
    > 16 November 2006, London - Canonical Ltd, the commercial sponsor of
    > Ubuntu, today announced it has scooped another two awards for Ubuntu, its
    > leading-edge Linux distribution. At the Linux New Media Awards, on
    > Wednesday 15th November, Ubuntu was awarded 'Most User-Friendly Linux
    > Distribution', and Canonical the 'Best combination of Community and
    > Commerce'. Ubuntu also picked up the 'Best Linux/Open Source
    > Distribution', for the second year running, at the 2006 UK Linux and Open
    > Source Awards in October.
    >

    > Ubuntu, still going strong.
    >
    > http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...x/default.aspx

    Wow. In 2006 a linux magazine gave a linux distribution an adda-boy.

    That's huge. (In the linux sense of the word.)

    Here's my award for you: "High Plains Rafael" - Dumbest poster on usenet
    for 2007. Yep... it means just as much as the award from some linux rag.

    Anyone look at the photo of these awards? [
    http://www.linuxnewmedia.com/Press/P...es/Awards_2006 ] - It's
    literally 5 or 6 people in the corner of some room. Most "student of the
    week" ceremonies at the local kindergarten are done with more fanfare.

  3. Re: Ubuntu - going strong and here to stay

    "Duncan Meyer" schreef in bericht
    news:479b934f$0$26096$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/MostUserFriendlyAward
    >>

    >> Ubuntu Wins Most User Friendly Linux Distribution Award
    >>
    >> 16 November 2006, London - Canonical Ltd, the commercial sponsor of
    >> Ubuntu, today announced it has scooped another two awards for Ubuntu, its
    >> leading-edge Linux distribution. At the Linux New Media Awards, on
    >> Wednesday 15th November, Ubuntu was awarded 'Most User-Friendly Linux
    >> Distribution', and Canonical the 'Best combination of Community and
    >> Commerce'. Ubuntu also picked up the 'Best Linux/Open Source
    >> Distribution', for the second year running, at the 2006 UK Linux and Open
    >> Source Awards in October.
    >>

    >> Ubuntu, still going strong.
    >>
    >> http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...x/default.aspx
    >>

    > Wow. In 2006 a linux magazine gave a linux distribution an adda-boy.
    >
    > That's huge. (In the linux sense of the word.)
    >
    > Here's my award for you: "High Plains Rafael" - Dumbest poster on usenet
    > for 2007. Yep... it means just as much as the award from some linux rag.
    >
    > Anyone look at the photo of these awards? [
    > http://www.linuxnewmedia.com/Press/P...es/Awards_2006 ] - It's
    > literally 5 or 6 people in the corner of some room. Most "student of the
    > week" ceremonies at the local kindergarten are done with more fanfare.

    Outstanding Contribution to Linux /
    Open Source / Free Software
    1. Klaus Knopper 12.0 %
    2. Jimmy Wales 10.0 %
    3. Mozilla Foundation 9.0 %
    3. OASIS (ODF) 9.0 %
    Roy Schestowitz ?????????????????
    COLA advocates ??????????????

  4. Re: Ubuntu - going strong and here to stay

    Nymshifting troll Duncan Meyer wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote...
    >
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/MostUserFriendlyAward

    Ubuntu Wins Most User Friendly Linux Distribution
    >> Award
    >>
    >> 16 November 2006, London - Canonical Ltd, the commercial
    >> sponsor of Ubuntu, today announced it has scooped another
    >> two awards for Ubuntu, its leading-edge Linux distribution.
    >> At the Linux New Media Awards, on Wednesday 15th November,
    >> Ubuntu was awarded 'Most User-Friendly Linux Distribution',
    >> and Canonical the 'Best combination of Community and
    >> Commerce'. Ubuntu also picked up the 'Best Linux/Open Source
    >> Distribution', for the second year running, at the 2006 UK
    >> Linux and Open Source Awards in October.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu, still going strong.
    >>
    >> http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...x/default.aspx

    > Wow.

    Nothing to see, move along .....

    Linux

    >> Ubuntu 7.10 on the XPS M1330, Ubuntu Coming to Customers in
    >> Spain Wed. Jan. 23, 2008 by Daniel Judd, Product Group
    >> Strategist
    >>
    >> Since we've began offering Ubuntu on some consumer systems,
    >> two clear areas of feedback from the IdeaStorm community and
    >> Direct2Dell readers have been: offer Ubuntu on more
    >> hardware, and offer it worldwide.This Ubuntu-related post is
    >> still the third most commented post in Direct2Dell's
    >> history-many of the 654 comments are asking for it in more
    >> countries.
    >>
    >> Now Ubuntu 7.10 is making it's way to our XPS 1330 laptop
    >> and Dell will begin offering Ubuntu in Spain.
    >>
    >> Starting today, customers in Germany, United Kingdom, France
    >> and now Spain can purchaseUbuntu Linux 7.10 with built-in
    >> DVD playback on the XPS 1330n (in addition to the
    >> previously-released Inspiron 530n desktop system. For U.S.
    >> customers, you'll have to hold on a week or so.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu 7.10 runs great on the XPS M1330. It has more power,
    >> more style. Take a look at the Dell UK Ubuntu website for
    >> more details.
    >>
    >> Thank you to the Linux community for the support. Your
    >> purchases and your commitment is the driving force behind
    >> this expansion, and is the key to more in the future.

    Linux is receiving strong support from OEM's:

    http://www.linux.org/news/2008/01/24/0001.html

    Publication: E Week Date: Jan 24 2008
    Reporter: Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

    HP, with other pro-open-source companies and organizations, is
    releasing programs and policies to help enterprises track
    corporate open-source use.

    After a soft-launch in December, Hewlett-Packard on Jan. 23
    officially released a pair of new open-source initiatives to help
    businesses and developers track their free and open-source
    software programs and licenses: FOSSology and FOSSBazaar.
    --
    HPT

  5. Re: Ubuntu - going strong and here to stay

    Hans AKA Clogwog wrote:
    > "Duncan Meyer" schreef...
    >> "High Plains Thumper" wrote...
    >>
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/MostUserFriendlyAward

    Ubuntu Wins Most User Friendly Linux Distribution
    >>> Award
    >>>
    >>> 16 November 2006, London - Canonical Ltd, the commercial
    >>> sponsor of Ubuntu, today announced it has scooped another
    >>> two awards for Ubuntu, its leading-edge Linux
    >>> distribution. At the Linux New Media Awards, on Wednesday
    >>> 15th November, Ubuntu was awarded 'Most User-Friendly
    >>> Linux Distribution', and Canonical the 'Best combination
    >>> of Community and Commerce'. Ubuntu also picked up the
    >>> 'Best Linux/Open Source Distribution', for the second year
    >>> running, at the 2006 UK Linux and Open Source Awards in
    >>> October.
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu, still going strong.
    >>>
    >>> http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...x/default.aspx

    >> Wow.

    > Outstanding Contribution to Linux

    Obviously none from Clogwog.

    >>> Ubuntu, still going strong.
    >>>
    >>> http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...x/default.aspx

    Linux

    >>> Ubuntu 7.10 on the XPS M1330, Ubuntu Coming to Customers
    >>> in Spain Wed. Jan. 23, 2008 by Daniel Judd, Product Group
    >>> Strategist
    >>>
    >>> Since we've began offering Ubuntu on some consumer
    >>> systems, two clear areas of feedback from the IdeaStorm
    >>> community and Direct2Dell readers have been: offer Ubuntu
    >>> on more hardware, and offer it worldwide.This
    >>> Ubuntu-related post is still the third most commented post
    >>> in Direct2Dell's history-many of the 654 comments are
    >>> asking for it in more countries.
    >>>
    >>> Now Ubuntu 7.10 is making it's way to our XPS 1330 laptop
    >>> and Dell will begin offering Ubuntu in Spain.
    >>>
    >>> Starting today, customers in Germany, United Kingdom,
    >>> France and now Spain can purchaseUbuntu Linux 7.10 with
    >>> built-in DVD playback on the XPS 1330n (in addition to the
    >>> previously-released Inspiron 530n desktop system. For
    >>> U.S. customers, you'll have to hold on a week or so.
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu 7.10 runs great on the XPS M1330. It has more
    >>> power, more style. Take a look at the Dell UK Ubuntu
    >>> website for more details.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you to the Linux community for the support. Your
    >>> purchases and your commitment is the driving force behind
    >>> this expansion, and is the key to more in the future.

    http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pr...ease/23370.wss

    [quotes]
    IBM Accelerates Desktop Customer Choice With Support for Ubuntu,
    Red Hat and Novell Software

    ORLANDO, FL - 21 Jan 2008: LOTUSPHERE -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today
    announced that it will offer an integrated Open Collaboration
    Client Solution with support for Ubuntu, a Linux-based operating
    system from Canonical Ltd. that is especially popular for
    desktops, laptops and thin clients.

    Ubuntu

    By combining the innovative user experience of the Ubuntu
    platform with the re-designed Lotus Notes 8 and Lotus Symphony,
    customers will experience greater ease-of-use and comprehensive
    management of the desktop. Full support for Ubuntu within Lotus
    Notes and Lotus Symphony is planned with Lotus Notes 8.5 in the
    second half of 2008. The Lotus Symphony office productivity suite
    is included with Lotus Notes 8 and is available as a separate
    download, at no additional charge. Ubuntu is released on a
    regular six-month cycle in more than 50 languages, and is backed
    with commercial support from Canonical.

    "IBM's plans to deliver the IBM Open Collaboration Client
    Solution with Lotus Notes on the Ubuntu platform is a win for
    customers everywhere," said Mark Murphy, vice president of
    alliances, Canonical, the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu.
    "Canonical is committed to bringing the best available
    productivity tools to its users on an open platform. Ubuntu users
    will now have an outstanding choice with Lotus Notes, while
    businesses will have a great choice with Lotus Domino. From a
    technical viewpoint, we are impressed how Lotus leverages the
    Eclipse platform to build and deliver rich client applications.
    This is an exciting development for Ubuntu users, too."

    The Open Collaboration Client Solution includes advanced email
    and calendar capabilities, proven unified communication and
    collaboration functionality and lightweight yet powerful word
    processing, spreadsheet and presentation capabilities with Open
    Document Format (ODF) support. Because the Open Collaboration
    Client Solution is built on Lotus Expeditor, which is based on
    the open source Eclipse Rich Client Platform, business-ready
    social networking, team collaboration and portal technologies can
    easily be added to a Linux PC user's desktop.
    [/quotes]

    Yeppers, Ubuntu is growing by leaps and bounds.

    --
    HPT

  6. Re: Ubuntu - going strong and here to stay

    "Duncan Meyer" writes:

    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/MostUserFriendlyAward
    >>

    >> Ubuntu Wins Most User Friendly Linux Distribution Award
    >>
    >> 16 November 2006, London - Canonical Ltd, the commercial sponsor of
    >> Ubuntu, today announced it has scooped another two awards for Ubuntu, its
    >> leading-edge Linux distribution. At the Linux New Media Awards, on
    >> Wednesday 15th November, Ubuntu was awarded 'Most User-Friendly Linux
    >> Distribution', and Canonical the 'Best combination of Community and
    >> Commerce'. Ubuntu also picked up the 'Best Linux/Open Source
    >> Distribution', for the second year running, at the 2006 UK Linux and Open
    >> Source Awards in October.
    >>

    >> Ubuntu, still going strong.
    >>
    >> http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...x/default.aspx
    >>

    > Wow. In 2006 a linux magazine gave a linux distribution an adda-boy.
    >
    > That's huge. (In the linux sense of the word.)
    >
    > Here's my award for you: "High Plains Rafael" - Dumbest poster on usenet
    > for 2007. Yep... it means just as much as the award from some linux rag.
    >
    > Anyone look at the photo of these awards? [
    > http://www.linuxnewmedia.com/Press/P...es/Awards_2006 ] - It's
    > literally 5 or 6 people in the corner of some room. Most "student of the
    > week" ceremonies at the local kindergarten are done with more fanfare.

    That is scary, BUT notice the results of the distro shuffle. This IS
    scarey:

    ,----
    | Most Linux-friendly Hardware Vendor
    | 1. IBM 23.0 %
    | 2. AMD 17.0 %
    | 3. Intel 14.0 %
    `----

    No one has a clue who to vote for!!!!!

    As for that grizzled guy in the beard, I bet he is feted at every campus

    "oh my god!!!! It's 'maddog'?!?!?!?!?!"

  7. Re: Ubuntu - going strong and here to stay

    "Hadron" schreef in bericht
    > "Duncan Meyer" writes:
    >
    >> "High Plains Thumper" wrote in
    >> message
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/MostUserFriendlyAward
    >>>

    >>> Ubuntu Wins Most User Friendly Linux Distribution Award
    >>>
    >>> 16 November 2006, London - Canonical Ltd, the commercial sponsor of
    >>> Ubuntu, today announced it has scooped another two awards for Ubuntu,
    >>> its
    >>> leading-edge Linux distribution. At the Linux New Media Awards, on
    >>> Wednesday 15th November, Ubuntu was awarded 'Most User-Friendly Linux
    >>> Distribution', and Canonical the 'Best combination of Community and
    >>> Commerce'. Ubuntu also picked up the 'Best Linux/Open Source
    >>> Distribution', for the second year running, at the 2006 UK Linux and
    >>> Open
    >>> Source Awards in October.
    >>>

    >>> Ubuntu, still going strong.
    >>>
    >>> http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...x/default.aspx
    >>>

    >> Wow. In 2006 a linux magazine gave a linux distribution an adda-boy.
    >>
    >> That's huge. (In the linux sense of the word.)
    >>
    >> Here's my award for you: "High Plains Rafael" - Dumbest poster on usenet
    >> for 2007. Yep... it means just as much as the award from some linux rag.
    >>
    >> Anyone look at the photo of these awards? [
    >> http://www.linuxnewmedia.com/Press/P...es/Awards_2006 ] - It's
    >> literally 5 or 6 people in the corner of some room. Most "student of the
    >> week" ceremonies at the local kindergarten are done with more fanfare.

    > That is scary, BUT notice the results of the distro shuffle. This IS
    > scarey:
    >

    > ,----
    > | Most Linux-friendly Hardware Vendor
    > | 1. IBM 23.0 %
    > | 2. AMD 17.0 %
    > | 3. Intel 14.0 %
    > `----
    >
    > No one has a clue who to vote for!!!!!
    >
    > As for that grizzled guy in the beard, I bet he is feted at every campus
    >
    > "oh my god!!!! It's 'maddog'?!?!?!?!?!"

    "oh my god!!!! Isn't this "maddog" on Marti's hackwerk poster too?
    http://bp0.blogger.com/_dQCKkApAq-Q/...ackwerk2_2.png

    Stunning!, Marti fell in love with a "maddog". I wonder if Roy will grow a
    beard now that he knows!

  8. Re: Ubuntu - going strong and here to stay

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:12:22 +0100, Clogwog wrote:

    > "Hadron" schreef in bericht
    >> "Duncan Meyer" writes:
    >>
    >>> "High Plains Thumper" wrote in
    >>> message

    >>> Wow. In 2006 a linux magazine gave a linux distribution an adda-boy.
    >>>
    >>> That's huge. (In the linux sense of the word.)
    >>>
    >>> Here's my award for you: "High Plains Rafael" - Dumbest poster on usenet
    >>> for 2007. Yep... it means just as much as the award from some linux rag.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone look at the photo of these awards? [
    >>> http://www.linuxnewmedia.com/Press/P...es/Awards_2006 ] - It's
    >>> literally 5 or 6 people in the corner of some room. Most "student of the
    >>> week" ceremonies at the local kindergarten are done with more fanfare.

    >> That is scary, BUT notice the results of the distro shuffle. This IS
    >> scarey:
    >>

    >> ,----
    >>| Most Linux-friendly Hardware Vendor
    >>| 1. IBM 23.0 %
    >>| 2. AMD 17.0 %
    >>| 3. Intel 14.0 %
    >> `----
    >>
    >> No one has a clue who to vote for!!!!!
    >>
    >> As for that grizzled guy in the beard, I bet he is feted at every campus
    >>
    >> "oh my god!!!! It's 'maddog'?!?!?!?!?!"
    >>

    > "oh my god!!!! Isn't this "maddog" on Marti's hackwerk poster too?
    > http://bp0.blogger.com/_dQCKkApAq-Q/...ackwerk2_2.png
    >
    > Stunning!, Marti fell in love with a "maddog". I wonder if Roy will grow a
    > beard now that he knows!

    Mustaches are a big thing with gay people.
    I'm not sure about beards though because the "Brokback Mountain" clean look
    seems to be the thing amongst the homosexual community.

+ Reply to Thread