[News] Beagle and Ballnux: More Mono? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Beagle and Ballnux: More Mono? - Linux ; Open letter to OpenSUSE users [about Beagle] ,----[ Quote ] | * We would be extremely happy if beagle only used C# for all its operations. | Unfortunately, we have to depend on a lot of C libraries for indexing ...

  1. [News] Beagle and Ballnux: More Mono?

    Open letter to OpenSUSE users [about Beagle]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | * We would be extremely happy if beagle only used C# for all its operations.
    | Unfortunately, we have to depend on a lot of C libraries for indexing certain
    | files. Sometimes memory leaks (the C type) and segmentation faults happen in
    | them. These are harder to spot since mono does not know about the memory
    | allocated in the C libraries.
    `----

    http://dtecht.blogspot.com/2008/01/o...use-users.html

    Related:

    de Icaza: Android's VM

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Once the source code for Android is released, it would be interesting to look
    | into integrating Mono wiht it. It should already run on it, as its just
    | Linux. What would be interesting is continuing to use C# to write code for
    | it. *
    `----

    http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2007/Nov-13-1.html

    OpenSolaris, Gobuntu, and be careful who you kiss

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I read the agreement between Xandros and Microsoft, and one of the excluded
    | products was Mono, so Microsoft promises to not sue Xandros over their
    | distribution but excluding Mono and a few other products, i.e. they reserve
    | the right to sue over Mono. I wonder if this is an interesting preview of on
    | what basis they want to fight the free world.
    |
    | Interestingly, the Novell deal seems to be different, Mono is not excluded
    | from the Novell deal. So Microsoft seems to be promising not to sue Novell
    | over Mono, but keeps the option open for Xandros. Weird but true.
    `----

    http://commandline.org.uk/2007/be-careful-who-you-kiss/

    Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | is Mono's role in the deal that of a hook to make customers write
    | .NET applications because they can be run on Linux - only to find
    | later on that they are armless or legless because of a change in
    | the .NETspecifications, a change which Microsoft decides not to
    | make public?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | And here we have an individual who decides to replicate one of
    | the proprietary company's development environments - for reasons
    | best known to him alone - and keeps telling people that the reason
    | he's doing it is so that he can pull people over from the
    | proprietary company's side to his side!!!
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?o...81&Itemid=1091

  2. Re: [News] Beagle and Ballnux: More Mono?

    > Open letter to OpenSUSE users [about Beagle]
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| * We would be extremely happy if beagle only used C# for all its operations.
    >| Unfortunately, we have to depend on a lot of C libraries for indexing certain
    >| files. Sometimes memory leaks (the C type) and segmentation faults happen in
    >| them. These are harder to spot since mono does not know about the memory
    >| allocated in the C libraries.
    > `----
    >
    > http://dtecht.blogspot.com/2008/01/o...use-users.html

    Doesn't the Mono team know how to use valgrind?

    --
    There are people who don't like capitalism, and people who don't like PCs. But
    there's no-one who likes the PC who doesn't like Microsoft.

  3. Re: Beagle and Ballnux: More Mono?

    On Jan 26, 12:05 pm, Linonut wrote:

    > > Open letter to OpenSUSE users [about Beagle]

    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > >| * We would be extremely happy if beagle only used C# for all its operations.
    > >| Unfortunately, we have to depend on a lot of C libraries for indexing certain
    > >| files. Sometimes memory leaks (the C type) and segmentation faults happen in
    > >| them. These are harder to spot since mono does not know about the memory
    > >| allocated in the C libraries.
    > > `----

    > >http://dtecht.blogspot.com/2008/01/o...use-users.html

    > Doesn't the Mono team know how to use valgrind?

    What has mono to do with C libraries ?

  4. Re: Beagle and Ballnux: More Mono?

    dBera writes:

    > On Jan 26, 12:05 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >> > Open letter to OpenSUSE users [about Beagle]

    >> > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> > `----

    >> >http://dtecht.blogspot.com/2008/01/o...use-users.html

    >> Doesn't the Mono team know how to use valgrind?

    > What has mono to do with C libraries ?

    It uses them when c# doesn't have the necessary equivalents.

  5. Re: Beagle and Ballnux: More Mono?

    > >> Doesn't the Mono team know how to use valgrind?
    >
    > > What has mono to do with C libraries ?

    > It uses them when c# doesn't have the necessary equivalents.

    By "it" you mean mono or beagle ?

  6. Re: Beagle and Ballnux: More Mono?

    On Jan 26, 3:22 pm, dBera wrote:

    > > > What has mono to do with C libraries ?

    > > It uses them when c# doesn't have the necessary equivalents.

    > By "it" you mean mono or beagle ?

    I am asking since the mono team does not develop beagle The beagle
    people might know how to valgrind but isnt it even better if you dont
    have to

  7. Re: Beagle and Ballnux: More Mono?

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:12:45 -0800 (PST), dBera wrote:

    > On Jan 26, 12:05 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Open letter to OpenSUSE users [about Beagle]

    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----

    >>>http://dtecht.blogspot.com/2008/01/o...use-users.html

    >> Doesn't the Mono team know how to use valgrind?

    > What has mono to do with C libraries ?

    I caught mono at the library where I worked when I was in high school.
    I was exhausted for about 3 months.

  8. Re: Beagle and Ballnux: More Mono?

    * dBera peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Jan 26, 12:05 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >> > Open letter to OpenSUSE users [about Beagle]

    >> > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> > `----

    >> >http://dtecht.blogspot.com/2008/01/o...use-users.html

    >> Doesn't the Mono team know how to use valgrind?

    > What has mono to do with C libraries ?

    Read the above. Valgrind will help them find the problems in the C
    libraries.

    And, after a couple minutes looking, I find that they /do/ seem to know
    about valgrind at Mono:

    http://www.mono-project.com/Debuggin...lgrind_on_Mono

    Using Valgrind on Mono

    Sometimes it might be useful to run Mono with Valgrind to track
    problems in the application. This is particularly helpful when
    debugging problems with P/Invoked libraries or bindings.

    Historically Mono and Valgrind didn't always played well together.
    If this has discouraged you in the past then it's time to try it
    again!

    And they say you never find good info in COLA.

    --
    It is much more secure to be feared than to be loved.
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

  9. Re: Beagle and Ballnux: More Mono?

    Linonut writes:

    D> * dBera peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Jan 26, 12:05 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >>> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Doesn't the Mono team know how to use valgrind?

    >> What has mono to do with C libraries ?

    > Read the above. Valgrind will help them find the problems in the C
    > libraries.
    >
    > And, after a couple minutes looking, I find that they /do/ seem to know
    > about valgrind at Mono:

    Pity you hadn't looked before showing off to the "advocates" eh?

    > http://www.mono-project.com/Debuggin...lgrind_on_Mono
    >
    > Using Valgrind on Mono

    LOL

    Liarnut tries a big "I am" and then falls flat on his face.

    Ever the hard core developer eh?

    And for those NOT in the know, garbage collection is nigh on impossible
    for dynamic languages who can "hide" allocations from the memory master

    ,----
    | Recent valgrind versions are able to deal with for self-modifying
    | programs (which is what the mono JIT does) by using the --smc-check=all
    | option.
    `----

    Valgrind has been extended to try to manage just that.

    (before you start gobbing off, consider having a pointer to memory. You
    then call a routine to "encode" that pointer as, say, an ascii string in
    hex or somesuch. You then delete the pointer but do NOT call free or
    equivalent. You then convert that ascii/hex string back to a memory
    pointer. God help you if the GC has removed the memory. WTF?!?!?!?! I
    never told it to do that .....)

+ Reply to Thread