[News] GNU GPLv3 Adoption is Gaining Pace - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] GNU GPLv3 Adoption is Gaining Pace - Linux ; GPL Project Watch List for Week of 01/25 ,----[ Quote ] | The GPL v3 growth for this week is consistent with our average growth rate. | As of January 25th, the GPL v3 count is at 1579 GPL v3 ...

  1. [News] GNU GPLv3 Adoption is Gaining Pace

    GPL Project Watch List for Week of 01/25

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The GPL v3 growth for this week is consistent with our average growth rate.
    | As of January 25th, the GPL v3 count is at 1579 GPL v3 projects, up 44
    | projects over the past week. The LGPL v3 list is growing slowly but steadily
    | and is currently at 150 LGPL v3 projects, as compared to last weeks number of
    | 148 LGPL v3 projects.
    `----

    http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2008/01/gpl...k-of-0125.html

    Related:

    The Sun is Opening

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In , what could turn out to be a most interesting turn of events, Sun has
    | decided to release OpenSolaris under the GPLv3.
    `----

    http://opensourcedeal.com/blog/?p=15

    Sun to release OpenSolaris under GPL version 3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sun is going to add the upcoming GNU General Public License version
    | 3 (GPLv3) to OpenSolaris in addition to its current CDDL (Common
    | Development and Distribution License).
    `----

    Trolltech to adopt GPL 3 for Qt

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Trolltech CEO Haavard Nord announced today at the KDE developer conference
    | that the company's cross-platform open source Qt application development
    | toolkit will be released under the GPL 3. This move, which comes shortly
    | after the release of KDE 4.0 (watch for our review on Sunday night), will
    | allow the open source desktop environment to adopt the new version of the
    | GPL. * *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...t-gpl-3-for-qt

    Mark Webbink On: GPLv3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This week Mark Webbink, former Red Hat General Counsel discusses the GPLv3
    | and talks about the limits of sharing, the mellowing out of Linus Torvalds,
    | and issues with the LGPLv3.
    `----

    http://truthhappens.redhatmagazine.c...plv3/#comments

  2. Re: [News] GNU GPLv3 Adoption is Gaining Pace

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > GPL Project Watch List for Week of 01/25
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The GPL v3 growth for this week is consistent with our average growth rate.
    >| As of January 25th, the GPL v3 count is at 1579 GPL v3 projects, up 44
    >| projects over the past week. The LGPL v3 list is growing slowly but steadily
    >| and is currently at 150 LGPL v3 projects, as compared to last weeks number of
    >| 148 LGPL v3 projects.
    > `----
    >
    > http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2008/01/gpl...k-of-0125.html

    It'll be interesting to see if we get a tipping-point effect with
    GPLv3. There was a huge amount of controversy about GPLv3 because so
    many businesses had built their models based on exploiting a GPLv2
    loophole, but it would seem that the last bastions of "secret is best"
    are starting to crumble, just a little.