[News] Mobiles on the Rise, GNU/Linux Appliances Are Joe Average-ready - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Mobiles on the Rise, GNU/Linux Appliances Are Joe Average-ready - Linux ; Mobile phone market grew 15.8 percent, study says ,----[ Quote | An ABI Research study claims that 2007 mobile phone sales closed strong, with | yearly shipments up 15.8 percent to 1.15 billion. | | [...] | | ABI notes ...

  1. [News] Mobiles on the Rise, GNU/Linux Appliances Are Joe Average-ready

    Mobile phone market grew 15.8 percent, study says

    | An ABI Research study claims that 2007 mobile phone sales closed strong, with
    | yearly shipments up 15.8 percent to 1.15 billion.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | ABI notes that Motorola has beefed up its portfolio except for in the ultra
    | low cost market, and suggests that the new award-winning, Linux-based ROKR E8
    | (pictured top of page) may help it turn the tide.
    `----

    Re-Examining the PC-as-Appliance Model

    | Macs come close to a toaster model, with Linux right there, given the
    | security and automated update features available. Windows? Right, that's our
    | laugh for this week's column.
    `----

    http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...23-26-OP-HW-SW

    Related:

    This time for sure on mobile Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Wal-Mart Linux PC, priced at $198, is sold out. Zonbu seems to be gaining
    | traction, with a notebook priced at $279.
    |
    | “You’re seeing incredibly improved device drivers. We’ve got hundreds now.
    | This is a phenomenal effort that plays to the strength of Linux, a volunteer
    | community representing millions of dollars in free development. *
    |
    | “You’re seeing more manufacturers shipping Linux desktops, PCs and laptops
    | but also mobile Internet devices from Acer, Motorola’s Razr, TiVo…there’s a
    | slew of new devices coming out.” *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1773

    Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
    | didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
    | the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
    | numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
    | handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said. * *
    `----

    Google's mobile move: awe-inspiring and terrifying

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It is also another awe-inspiring -- or terrifying, depending on one's
    | perspective -- display of the engineering and business resources Google can
    | unleash and of the power it has to influence, disrupt and rearrange markets. *
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93133

    Google spending hundreds of millions on mobile

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Anian, a Reuters company that tracks industry trends for institutional
    | investors, reported last month that Google had engaged Taiwan's High Tech
    | Computer Corpto design a Linux
    | software-based phone for launch in the first quarter of 2008. *
    `----

    http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...yID=nN02242073

    Microsoft's vision for universal mobile platform a little blurred

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Unfortunately for Microsoft, Windows Mobile is currently not even in the
    | second runner in the smartphone operating systems race. Linux, which is
    | widely used on mobile devices in China, is second to Symbian with more than
    | 13% market share. Windows mobile is a distant third with about 6% share. *
    `---- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15017/1023/

    After the Desktop -- What?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I would suggest that the open source community should stop obsessing
    | with the battle for the desktop, and start focusing on the battle for
    | the platform that will replace it. As I have said before, the day
    | will soon come when the notion of having to go to a particular
    | machine on a particular room every time you need access to
    | information or computer power will be as obsolete as the notion
    | of having to go to the hand pump over the well in the front
    | yard every time you need water.
    `----

    http://trevors-trinkets.blogspot.com...ktop-what.html

    Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
    | that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
    `----

    http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006...arket-by-2010/

    FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I see the mobile Linux wave out in the ocean and am sounding the
    | alarm--the mobile Linux tide is rising. Be prepared.
    `----

    http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...-os/2007-01-03

  2. Re: [News] Mobiles on the Rise, GNU/Linux Appliances Are Joe Average-ready

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Mobile phone market grew 15.8 percent, study says

    >| An ABI Research study claims that 2007 mobile phone sales closed strong, with
    >| yearly shipments up 15.8 percent to 1.15 billion.
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| ABI notes that Motorola has beefed up its portfolio except for in the ultra
    >| low cost market, and suggests that the new award-winning, Linux-based ROKR E8
    >| (pictured top of page) may help it turn the tide.
    > `----

    No sign of Apple in the big sellers here. Motorola are still doing
    quite badly, but it's becoming hard to see why. A few years back, their
    phones were awful compared with Nokia, Ericsson and others, but now,
    they're pretty similar in capability and appearance.

    > Re-Examining the PC-as-Appliance Model

    >| Macs come close to a toaster model, with Linux right there, given the
    >| security and automated update features available. Windows? Right, that's our
    >| laugh for this week's column.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...23-26-OP-HW-SW

    Mr Proffit should purchase some spanners and fix his dryer :-)