[News] [Rival] Microsoft Blasted for Poor Support of SharePoint - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Blasted for Poor Support of SharePoint - Linux ; Users claim six month wait for SharePoint support ,----[ Quote ] | One of the largest consulting firms focused on Microsoft technologies said | SharePoint sometimes leads to management as well as technical challenges. | Larry LeSueur, vice-president of infrastructure ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Blasted for Poor Support of SharePoint

    Users claim six month wait for SharePoint support

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the largest consulting firms focused on Microsoft technologies said
    | SharePoint sometimes leads to management as well as technical challenges.
    | Larry LeSueur, vice-president of infrastructure technology solutions at
    | Avanade Canada, said many companies are looking at the Microsoft product as a
    | collaboration aid without knowing what they're getting into. "The No. 1
    | question I get from CIOs about Sharepoint is how to get it back under control
    | because it's been implemented at a departmental level."
    `----

    http://www.itworldcanada.com/a/News/...4227d93b3.html

    Related:

    Could SharePoint Be Microsoft’s New Mode of Lock-In?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This could be a tough one for IT leaders. Business users are comfortable with
    | Microsoft. They know how to use the Office interface, and apparently like it
    | to the point users will create their own mini-BI tools from Excel and opt out
    | of the corporate system. But, if Asay’s right, vendor lock-in could cause
    | unforeseen problems or major costs down the road. * *
    |
    | After reading Asay’s column and the interview with Nicholls, at least you’ll
    | know which questions to ask before investing in either SharePoint or an
    | alternative solution. *
    `----

    http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/mia/?p=198

    Sharepoint and Firefox: no rich editor for you

    ,----[ From the comment ]
    | I am "forced" to use Sharepoint at work, but at least I'd like
    | to use my Linux machine to write wiki pages. These guys at MS
    | definitely don't know what they're doing...
    `----

    http://www.timheuer.com/blog/archive.../06/13939.aspx

    ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | An industry coalition that has represented competitors of Microsoft
    | in European markets before the European Commission stepped up its
    | public relations offensive this morning, this time accusing
    | Microsoft of scheming to upset HTML's place in the fabric of
    | the Internet with XAML, an XML-based layout lexicon forn
    | etwork applications.
    `----

    http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS...ack/1169824569

    Competition for Microsoft & Co.: Mindquarry Forms Up With an Open Source Team
    Software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Launch for a user friendly and easy to use teamwork software: since
    | Feb. 28th 2007, Mindquarry offers the first Open Source alternative
    | to Microsoft's Sharepoint Server or IBM's Lotus Connections.
    `----

    http://www.pr-inside.com/competition...-co-r58135.htm

    Mainsoft solves SharePoint trap

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mainsoft has solved the problem of SharePoint exclusivity, enabling secure
    | data transfers between a SharePoint store and an IBM Websphere portal.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | It won’t be cheap, but it’s going to get easier, for enterprises to escape
    | the SharePoint trap.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1701

    OpenOffice extension rivals SharePoint

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The O3OSpaces server is a J2EE (Java 2 Enterprise Edition) application,
    | built on top of Apache Tomcat and the PostgreSQL database server. The
    | web client uses AJAX, while the Assistant client program is a Java Web
    | Start application.
    |
    | Besides StarOffice and OpenOffice.org, companies can use O3Spaces with
    | Microsoft Office documents. "While O3Spaces is developed for use with
    | OpenOffice.org/StarOffice, it can handle Microsoft Office documents
    | equally well," stated O3Spaces B.V. CEO Rob Mentink. "This is crucial
    | for companies and users that work in mixed environments."
    `----

    Technology: 8 Ways to Get Help with Ubuntu Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | No matter what operating system you use, be it Windows, Mac OS, or Linux,
    | you're inevitably going to run into some problems. But, especially with
    | Ubuntu Linux, there's a wealth of information to help get you through your
    | crisis. Below are eight ways to get help when you have a problem with Ubuntu. * *
    `----

    http://www.techthrob.com/tech/ubuntuhelp.php

    Which is better for technical support

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I have found in general that with open source support you often get
    | more than what you pay for but with closed source support, by some of
    | the biggest names in software, the support is often lacking in the
    | value department. With open source asking for support has generally
    | resulted in a solution within a week and I have never paid for it.
    | However with closed source companies I have open tickets that have
    | not been resolved in months. With open source I can communicate
    | directly with the author(s) of the program and work closely with
    | them to find a solution. Closed source on the other hand has just
    | requested information, verified the bug and then informed us that
    | the solution may be available in the next release of the program.
    `----

    http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/loc...-support-13621
    http://tinyurl.com/ygspn7

    Microsoft's Genuine Advantage

    ,----[ Snippet ]
    | A lot of managers are afraid to use Open Source Software, because it
    | doesn't come with any support. Of course that isn't true. It is a classical
    | piece of FUD. And then again, how much is support worth?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | MS: * Microsoft Support. Good morning, sir. Can I help you.
    | IC: * Windows displays some strange message on my screen.
    | MS: * What's the message, sir.
    | IC: * ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102; Microsoft
    | Windows is Not Present
    | MS: * May I have your product key, sir.
    | IC: * [gives completely valid product key]
    | MS: * Ok, sir. Can you please reboot your PC?
    | IC: * Will that solve the problem?
    | MS: * Please reboot your PC, sir.
    | IC: * Ok, ok, wait a minute.
    | MS: * Please call us again if you eXPerience any more problems. Have a
    | nice day, sir. [click]
    `----

    http://thebeez.vnunetblogs.com/the_b...ofts_genu.html

    I work for MS but even I struggle to get a hot-fix

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The problem took 260 minutes to resolve from start to
    | finish and an estimated 90 minutes of Ledgard's time,
    | not including the time it took to write-up his problems...
    | Still, the frustrations experienced by Ledgard give
    | a salutary lesson that Microsoft's online product
    | support is mediocre, at best, and will surely strike
    | a chord with many long-suffering sys admins.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10..._hot-fix_hell/

    The top Linux support weaknesses, then and now

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In 2003, SearchEnterpriseLinux.com visited the Linux support landscape
    | with a list of Linux support weaknesses. A lot has happened over the
    | past four years, as is evident in the success of Red Hat and
    | Novell's subscription-based support models and the meteoric
    | rise of commercial-grade Ubuntu support, to name a few.
    `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...262974,00.html

    Microsoft Y2K bug circa 1998?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On January 8th of this week my parents received a phone call which they
    | dodged because the call was coming through at 11:00 p.m. at night.
    |
    | The next day they retrieved the voicemail message which was from Microsoft
    | technical support calling *me* back to see if my problem has been resolved.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I remember in the past year or so when I called Microsoft and the problem was
    | not resolved (BSOD after Microsoft patch) that Microsoft did call me back the
    | next day to see if i made any progress in my little computer crises (which I
    | though was super cool of them... I was really impressed)... *
    | but wait a second .... or wait 315,569,260 seconds ....
    | Microsoft hadn't done this (call me back that is) the first time I called ...
    | and I called many years ago.... but that must have been when I was living at
    | home with my parents..... which is why they called me at my parents phone
    | number. *
    `----

    http://bicbickers.blogspot.com/2008/...irca-1998.html

    Top 10 reasons why Microsoft's Xbox 360 Customer Service is "teh br0ken".

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So there you have it Microsoft, the Top 10 reasons your support
    | system is "teh br0ken", from my admittedly short experience with
    | it. When I'd assumed a company of your size would set the standard
    | for customer service, I didn't mean the standard by which to do
    | better than...
    |
    | I realize it's probably no great revelation that their customer
    | service sucks, but come on, why can't they fix this? Can they
    | only fix simple things? That makes them useless for people with
    | "real" problems.
    `----

    http://www.gamercastnetwork.com/foru...5&postcount=68

    Another Xbox Support Nightmare

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We seem to be receiving an increasing number of horror stories from
    | Xbox 360 owners who have had to call Microsoft's Bangalore-based
    | tech support call center. When your reason for calling is a
    | bricked console, one would think it would be a painless and
    | quick procedure to get the thing replaced or repaired.
    | Apparently not the case, according to Brent from Consumerist.com
    `----

    http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/10875/

    Xbox 360s Still Dying, Customer Service Still Crap

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-36...rap-222843.php

    Which is better for technical support

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I have found in general that with open source support you often get
    | more than what you pay for but with closed source support, by some of
    | the biggest names in software, the support is often lacking in the
    | value department. With open source asking for support has generally
    | resulted in a solution within a week and I have never paid for it.
    | However with closed source companies I have open tickets that have
    | not been resolved in months. With open source I can communicate
    | directly with the author(s) of the program and work closely with
    | them to find a solution. Closed source on the other hand has just
    | requested information, verified the bug and then informed us that
    | the solution may be available in the next release of the program.
    `----

    http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/loc...-support-13621
    http://tinyurl.com/ygspn7

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Blasted for Poor Support of SharePoint

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Users claim six month wait for SharePoint support
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | One of the largest consulting firms focused on Microsoft technologies said
    > | SharePoint sometimes leads to management as well as technical challenges.
    > | Larry LeSueur, vice-president of infrastructure technology solutions at
    > | Avanade Canada, said many companies are looking at the Microsoft product as a
    > | collaboration aid without knowing what they're getting into. "The No. 1
    > | question I get from CIOs about Sharepoint is how to get it back under control
    > | because it's been implemented at a departmental level."
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itworldcanada.com/a/News/...4227d93b3.html
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > Could SharePoint Be Microsoft’s New Mode of Lock-In?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | This could be a tough one for IT leaders. Business users are comfortable with
    > | Microsoft. They know how to use the Office interface, and apparently like it
    > | to the point users will create their own mini-BI tools from Excel and opt out
    > | of the corporate system. But, if Asay’s right, vendor lock-in could cause
    > | unforeseen problems or major costs down the road.
    > |
    > | After reading Asay’s column and the interview with Nicholls, at least you’ll
    > | know which questions to ask before investing in either SharePoint or an
    > | alternative solution.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/mia/?p=198

    A few months back MS sold Sharepoint to our CIO, now we have lots o
    interest in Sharepoint.

    Eventually I get an email, that one of my internal interest groups is
    now using Sharepoint for as an collaboration center and here is the url.

    Click...please enter password. What do you mean password? OK try my
    company domain controller password ... I get the home page, but this
    password dialog keeps popping up.

    Apparently Sharepoint does not like Seamonkey.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Blasted for Poor Support of SharePoint

    ____/ Philip on Sunday 27 January 2008 01:32 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Users claim six month wait for SharePoint support
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | One of the largest consulting firms focused on Microsoft technologies said
    >> | SharePoint sometimes leads to management as well as technical challenges.
    >> | Larry LeSueur, vice-president of infrastructure technology solutions at
    >> | Avanade Canada, said many companies are looking at the Microsoft product
    >> | as a collaboration aid without knowing what they're getting into. "The No.
    >> | 1 question I get from CIOs about Sharepoint is how to get it back under
    >> | control because it's been implemented at a departmental level."
    >> `----

    http://www.itworldcanada.com/a/News/...4227d93b3.html

    >> Related:
    >>
    >> Could SharePoint Be Microsoft’s New Mode of Lock-In?
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | This could be a tough one for IT leaders. Business users are comfortable
    >> | with Microsoft. They know how to use the Office interface, and apparently
    >> | like it to the point users will create their own mini-BI tools from Excel
    >> | and opt out of the corporate system. But, if Asay’s right, vendor lock-in
    >> | could cause unforeseen problems or major costs down the road.
    >> |
    >> | After reading Asay’s column and the interview with Nicholls, at least
    >> | you’ll know which questions to ask before investing in either SharePoint
    >> | or an alternative solution.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/mia/?p=198

    > A few months back MS sold Sharepoint to our CIO, now we have lots o
    > interest in Sharepoint.
    >
    > Eventually I get an email, that one of my internal interest groups is
    > now using Sharepoint for as an collaboration center and here is the url.
    >
    > Click...please enter password. What do you mean password? OK try my
    > company domain controller password ... I get the home page, but this
    > password dialog keeps popping up.
    >
    > Apparently Sharepoint does not like Seamonkey.

    Sharepoint doesn't like anything but Microsoft. It also has incompatibilities
    with other browsers like Firefox. It's an embrace and extend strategy and it
    needs to just be rejected. It could also lead to more antitrust suits.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Anonymity - established 2001, Google Groups
    Tasks: 123 total, 1 running, 122 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie