[News] Creating More GNU/Linux Distros is Encouraged - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Creating More GNU/Linux Distros is Encouraged - Linux ; Forget Ubuntu, Real Nerds Build Their Own Linux Distros ,----[ Quote ] | Obviously this isn't for Linux newbies, after all, you didn't start your love | affair with computers by building one did you? If you're new to Linux ...

  1. [News] Creating More GNU/Linux Distros is Encouraged

    Forget Ubuntu, Real Nerds Build Their Own Linux Distros

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Obviously this isn't for Linux newbies, after all, you didn't start your love
    | affair with computers by building one did you? If you're new to Linux spend
    | some time getting comfortable with it before rushing off to build your own
    | version.
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...-ubuntu-r.html

    Spins and customisation. Why not?

    Related:

    Salesforce.com CEO: Customization is king

    ,----[ Excerpt ]
    | Marc Benioff argues that Apex will let customers diverge further
    | from one-size-fits-all hosted applications approach.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6124...4153&subj=news

    Zecurion Launches Zserver Storage 2.0 for Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Zserver Storage 2.0 for Linux protects hard drives with Linux OS 2.6 kernel.
    | The new version supports the majority of popular Linux distributions such as
    | SuSE, Red Hat, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, ALTLinux, Debian, Gentoo, Slackware,
    | etc. Another gain of Zserver Storage 2.0 is administration from a centralized
    | console (Zconsole) that is used for managing all Zecurion products.
    `----

    http://www.financevisor.com/market/n...aspx?rid=58106

    Why Having 500+ Distros is a Good Thing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Perhaps next time the author might think about what they're
    | saying...because limiting the number of distros out there is
    | absolutely NOT the way to go to accomplish anything other
    | than limiting innovation.
    `----

    http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/arc...ood-Thing.html

  2. Re: [News] Creating More GNU/Linux Distros is Encouraged

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 19:46:37 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    >> Forget Ubuntu, Real Nerds Build Their Own Linux Distros

    > By far the easiest way to create an entirely new distro is to use a
    > buildsystem like Koji. In fact the hardest part by far is mirroring
    > the source tree, which in Fedora's case is several gigabytes.

    Hysterical!
    Almost a 1000 different Linux distributions isn't enough.
    Now the Linux freaks have created a "distribution that allows you to create
    even more distributions".

    Ya can't make this stuff up folks.

+ Reply to Thread