[News] Sony CEO: "PS3 Has Now Gone Past XBox on the Christmas Market" - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Sony CEO: "PS3 Has Now Gone Past XBox on the Christmas Market" - Linux ; Sony CEO says sales going well, watching yen ,----[ Quote ] | "PS3 has now gone past XBox on the Christmas market. It's moving into its own | as it gets into higher bandwidth ... PS3 is out of the ...

  1. [News] Sony CEO: "PS3 Has Now Gone Past XBox on the Christmas Market"

    Sony CEO says sales going well, watching yen

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "PS3 has now gone past XBox on the Christmas market. It's moving into its own
    | as it gets into higher bandwidth ... PS3 is out of the woods and beginning to
    | hold its own," he said. The PS3 initially trailed rivals, due to the Sony
    | machine's high price and an initial scarcity of strong software titles. But
    | PS3 demand has shown some signs of picking up since the company cut prices
    | and launched a new version.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2110-9584_22-6227678.html

    Microsoft shills will only show you _US_ sales figures to hide the disaster
    that is XBox360. As you can see below, Linux is now available for PS3 _WITHOUT
    THE INSTALLATION_. And access to the GPU is pretty much there now.

    Related:

    PS3 Megabox Homebrew Project Is Linux For Commitment-Phobes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A modification of open source software Freevo, Megabox brings VOIP, P2P,
    | Firefox, 3D Linux gaming, TV recording (not sure how on this one), and
    | emulation—as well as plenty of other features. Essentially, it's Linux
    | without the install, reskinned with a neat media center interface. The price
    | is right (free) so we'll give this a try and tell you what we think. * *
    `----

    http://kotaku.com/346073/ps3-megabox...mitment+phobes

    Is it games or Blu-Ray driving the PS3 resurgence?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Having over 9 million PS3’s sitting in the world’s living rooms gives Blu-Ray
    | obvious penetration numbers to throw on the desk of Studio cigar chomping
    | suits. *It is easy to make a convincing argument that this, along with
    | arguable movie sales themselves may have been the catalyst for Warner to jump
    | ship to the Blu-Ray camp. * *
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16156/1093/

    PS3 production cost halved

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While the Playstation 3 cost Sony somewhere around $800 a console to build
    | when it was launched in November 2006, Sony has told Business Week that the
    | PS3 now costs about $400 to produce - which is similar to the RRP of the new
    | 40GB SKU. *
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...on-cost-halved

    StreamMyGame launches Linux player ; Play PC games on your PS3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | StreamMyGame.com announced today the release of its free Linux Player, an
    | application that enables you to play any PC game via a PlayStation 3 running
    | Linux. *
    `----

    http://www.kdcstaffs.com/it/main_vie...part=Real-Time

    PS3 tops Wii in Japan for first time

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation 3 outsold Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS) Wii
    | game console in Japan in November for the first time, raising the prospect
    | that Sony might regain its dominance in the global videogame market. *
    `----

    http://in.reuters.com/article/techno...30766820071130

    PS3 overtakes Wii in Japan

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some 55,924 PS3s were purchased in the week ending 11 November, compared to
    | 34,456 Wiis and just 5817 Xbox 360s. Clearly, the Halo 3 effect and
    | Microsoft's price cut have done their work. *
    `----

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11...wii_ps3_sales/

    Price cut boosts PlayStation 3 sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | U.S. sales of the PlayStation 3 more than doubled in the weeks after the
    | company slashed the video game console's price $100 and launched a low-end
    | model, Sony Corp. CEO Howard Stringer told The Associated Press Wednesday. *
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071115/...ystation_sales

    PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sony and a technology site are using a conference to show off a confluence of
    | next-generation, monopoly-bypassing technology: a Sony Playstation 3
    | videogame console running Linux and Firefox as a foundation for
    | Web-based "Office 2.0" applications. *
    |
    | IT|Redux, a site run by blogger and tech adviser Ismael Ghalimi, is showing
    | off the system at the Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco. IT|Redux is the
    | show organizer. *
    `----

    http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html

    PS3 available pre-installed with Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | TerraSoft is now taking direct pre-orders with no delivery
    | time guarantees for a Sony PS3 pre-installed with Linux,
    | priced at $650.
    `----

    Astrophysicist Replaces Supercomputer with Eight PlayStation 3s

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The interest in the PS3 really was for two main reasons," explains Khanna, an
    | assistant professor at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth who
    | specializes in computational astrophysics. "One of those is that Sony did
    | this remarkable thing of making the PS3 an open platform, so you can in fact
    | run Linux on it and it doesn't control what you do." * *
    `----

    http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news..._supercomputer

    Linux petitioners want Sony to open up PS3's graphical innards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Access is blocked by the Hypervisor chip so there is no chance of
    | getting around it without Sony's approval. And, naturally, Sony
    | doesn't want geeks producing 3D games under Linux and undermining
    | its investment. It flogs the console in order to make mountains of
    | wonga on the highly-priced games folk play on it.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | So now there's a a petition online asking Sony to open up the RSX.
    | It's here.
    `----

    Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A number of
    | hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel module for this along
    | with a relevant Xorg driver. *
    `----

    http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23190

    The hunt for HV's FIFO/Push buffer...

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With your separate module for GPU stuff (3D, Xorg, etc...) will we be able to
    | use the kernel sources from Geoff's tree and simply get your kernel modules
    | loaded in place of the fb device created by ps3fb.c and ps3fb.h ? *
    |
    | Keeping in sync with Geoff's tree is something that would be beneficial for
    | those also doing CELL development as it is the tree that gets a lot of work
    | from IBM and SCE guys that is CELL related. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Glaurung, nice work. Busy error made FIFO hack for us . I was sure that
    | fifo setup is broken for the second context.
    |
    | Panajev2001a, I think that it is possibly to make totally independent kernel
    | module. You will be able to install it without kernel recompilation.
    `----

    http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.p...=asc&start=211

  2. Re: [News] Sony CEO: "PS3 Has Now Gone Past XBox on the Christmas Market"

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Sony CEO says sales going well, watching yen
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| "PS3 has now gone past XBox on the Christmas market. It's moving into its own
    >| as it gets into higher bandwidth ... PS3 is out of the woods and beginning to
    >| hold its own," he said. The PS3 initially trailed rivals, due to the Sony
    >| machine's high price and an initial scarcity of strong software titles. But
    >| PS3 demand has shown some signs of picking up since the company cut prices
    >| and launched a new version.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2110-9584_22-6227678.html
    >
    > Microsoft shills will only show you _US_ sales figures to hide the disaster
    > that is XBox360. As you can see below, Linux is now available for PS3 _WITHOUT
    > THE INSTALLATION_. And access to the GPU is pretty much there now.

    The PS3 is a good machine. My No2 son is very happy with his indeed. I
    still haven't got around to putting Linux on it, but it will be there in
    short order. If nothing else, it'll make playing videos from the bubba
    excito box a little easier.

  3. Re: [News] Sony CEO: "PS3 Has Now Gone Past XBox on the Christmas Market"

    In article <1835597.D2fBBuKt6V@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Is it games or Blu-Ray driving the PS3 resurgence?

    Well, since both Blu-Ray movie sales and PS3 game sales are pretty low,
    the answer would be "neither". The correct answer is "massive price
    cuts".

    --
    --Tim Smith

  4. Re: [News] Sony CEO: "PS3 Has Now Gone Past XBox on the Christmas Market"

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:03:28 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <1835597.D2fBBuKt6V@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Is it games or Blu-Ray driving the PS3 resurgence?

    > Well, since both Blu-Ray movie sales and PS3 game sales are pretty low,
    > the answer would be "neither". The correct answer is "massive price
    > cuts".

    According to Mark Kent and Roy Schestowitz, PS3 sales are soaring.

  5. Re: [News] Sony CEO: "PS3 Has Now Gone Past XBox on the Christmas Market"

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:03:28 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article <1835597.D2fBBuKt6V@schestowitz.com>,
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Is it games or Blu-Ray driving the PS3 resurgence?

    >> Well, since both Blu-Ray movie sales and PS3 game sales are pretty low,
    >> the answer would be "neither". The correct answer is "massive price
    >> cuts".

    > According to Mark Kent and Roy Schestowitz, PS3 sales are soaring.

    It's a complete flop compared to expectations unfortunately. I think
    word got out that Mark Kent "advocated" it and people ran screaming off.

  6. Re: [News] Sony CEO: "PS3 Has Now Gone Past XBox on the Christmas Market"

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 21:16:40 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:
    >
    >> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:03:28 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> Well, since both Blu-Ray movie sales and PS3 game sales are pretty low,
    >>> the answer would be "neither". The correct answer is "massive price
    >>> cuts".

    >> According to Mark Kent and Roy Schestowitz, PS3 sales are soaring.

    > It's a complete flop compared to expectations unfortunately. I think
    > word got out that Mark Kent "advocated" it and people ran screaming off.

    That would do it for me.
    Between him and Kelsey, I don't know which one is the bigger idiot.
    Those 2 could screw up walking.

+ Reply to Thread