Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date? - Linux

This is a discussion on Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date? - Linux ; Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date? A specific item or device is preferred. So something like 'embedded devices' would be too broad and general of an answer. My vote is the Tivo. While something like the ...

  1. Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date?

    Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date?

    A specific item or device is preferred. So something like 'embedded devices'
    would be too broad and general of an answer.

    My vote is the Tivo.

    While something like the PS3 (and XBox) *can* run Linux... they normally
    *don't* run Linux by default.

  2. Re: Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date?

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:47:26 -0500, Arland Fritz wrote:

    > Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date?

    The mobile phone.

  3. Re: Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date?

    Arland Fritz wrote:

    > Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date?
    >
    > A specific item or device is preferred. So something like 'embedded
    > devices' would be too broad and general of an answer.
    >
    > My vote is the Tivo.
    >
    > While something like the PS3 (and XBox) *can* run Linux... they normally
    > *don't* run Linux by default.

    Micoshaft's Pista and Appil Computer's OS ex.

    They all have most of the features that Linux has had for eons.
    see www.youtube.com and search for beryl and compiz to
    see what I mean.

  4. Re: Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date?

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:47:26 -0500, Arland Fritz wrote:

    > Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date?
    >
    > A specific item or device is preferred. So something like 'embedded devices'
    > would be too broad and general of an answer.
    >
    > My vote is the Tivo.
    >
    > While something like the PS3 (and XBox) *can* run Linux... they normally
    > *don't* run Linux by default.

    Mobile Phone.

  5. Re: Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date?

    On Jan 25, 1:47 pm, "Arland Fritz" wrote:
    > Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date?

    > A specific item or device is preferred. So something like 'embedded devices'
    > would be too broad and general of an answer.

    > My vote is the Tivo.

    I would agree. Linux powers quite a few DVRs, and most others are
    running on other UNIX variants. TiVo has a wide appeal to a mass
    market, and has become a verb. When someone says "I need to TiVo
    that", it's a good sign of success.

    Other good candidates would be WiFi hubs, since they are practically
    everywhere, but they are not as visible as the TiVo boxes.

  6. Re: Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date?

    7 wrote:
    > Arland Fritz wrote:
    >
    >> Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date?
    >>
    >> A specific item or device is preferred. So something like 'embedded
    >> devices' would be too broad and general of an answer.
    >>
    >> My vote is the Tivo.
    >>
    >> While something like the PS3 (and XBox) *can* run Linux... they normally
    >> *don't* run Linux by default.

    > Micoshaft's Pista and Appil Computer's OS ex.
    >
    > They all have most of the features that Linux has had for eons.
    > see www.youtube.com and search for beryl and compiz to
    > see what I mean.

    The most un-successful Linux device would be a walking 7. She runs Linux
    be default. She has an embedded Linux solution in her pea brain. It's a
    total disaster, a botched operation that went terribly wrong.

  7. Re: Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date?

    "[H]omer" wrote in message news:ngsp65-v1r.ln1@sky.matrix...
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Robin T Cox spake thusly:
    >> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:47:26 -0500, Arland Fritz wrote:

    >>> Poll - What's the most successful Linux device to date?

    >> The mobile phone.

    > Good answer.

    So how exactly can any consumer tell if their cell phone is running linux?

    Will cell phones tell people about linux in any way, shape or form? I doubt
    it.