[News] Microsoft's Hotmail Snubs Free Software, GNU/Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft's Hotmail Snubs Free Software, GNU/Linux - Linux ; Hotmail doesn't work with Firefox 2.0: Microsoft answers to Linux users "Switch to Outlook Express" ,----[ Quote ] | I’m the increasingly discontent owner of an Hotmail account (don’t laught, I | subscribed back when Hotmail wasn’t owned by Microsoft). ...

  1. [News] Microsoft's Hotmail Snubs Free Software, GNU/Linux

    Hotmail doesn't work with Firefox 2.0: Microsoft answers to Linux users "Switch
    to Outlook Express"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I’m the increasingly discontent owner of an Hotmail account (don’t laught, I
    | subscribed back when Hotmail wasn’t owned by Microsoft). Recently, in order
    | to compete with Google on the Web, Hotmail’s interface was overhauled: it now
    | has a “classic” interface, which works reasonably well but is still rather
    | limited, and a supposedly “Full” interface that should make it the equal of
    | sites like Google Apps and Yahoo Mail/Calendar/etc.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...with_firefox_2

    Related:

    Hotmail engine overhaul

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The redesign effort, even its more ambitious aspects, is not
    | a total wash, however.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | With Hotmail, Microsoft was at the end of its development rope.
    | Every new feature basically had to be "hacked" into the code.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6...ml?tag=st.next

    A Hybrid Approach to E-Mail: The Best of Both Worlds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Given corporations' existing investments and their potential need to
    | support additional Microsoft Exchange-compatible applications in the
    | future, this hybrid open/proprietary approach will only work if it
    | allows users to drop in an e-mail server without making changes to
    | desktops or infrastructure.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | A better approach employs a product that is compatible at the
    | network-protocol level with the existing infrastructure. Outlook
    | on the desktop will "think" it is talking to Exchange when it is
    | really talking to the new Linux e-mail server, and end users do
    | not know they are on a different server. IT professionals get a
    | Linux e-mail server with higher performance, that uses lower-cost
    | storage, and that works with existing datacenter applications such
    | as Active Directory.
    `----

    Hotmail's antispam measures snuff out legit emails, too

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Hotmail users and email server admins, beware: you may be unknowingly
    | caught in the crossfire of Microsoft's war on spam. Unintended
    | casualties include legitimate emails from domains with
    | well-established reputations, which are systematically blocked
    | with absolutely no notice and little recourse.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05...friendly_fire/

    Hotmail still riddled with spam

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has admitted that up to 98 per cent of messages sent to
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | Hotmail addresses are spam.
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The findings will disappoint Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, who
    | predicted at the 2004 Davos World Economic Forum that spam would
    | be "eliminated" within two years.
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...ed-spam-admits

    It’s ME vs. MICROSOFT - Who Will Win ?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now, the only problem with #1 is that IT DOES NOT WORK. When Microsoft
    | blackholes your email, or bounces it with “550 Your e-mail was rejected for
    | policy reasons on this gateway.“, no amount of client whitelisting is going
    | to help (I tried it). This leaves me with option #2 - well I say “F-You
    | Microsoft, I’m not paying for YOUR STUPID MISTAKES!”
    `----

    http://success.grownupgeek.com/index...-who-will-win/

    If Intent Can Be Proven, Microsoft Could Face Millions Of Mail Fraud Charges

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The final results bore out the "conventional wisdom." If emails were donuts,
    | Hotmail would be HomerSimpsonMail. I don't need to reiterate the figures,
    | there they are in blue and red. But for a Hotmail account to destroy up to
    | 81% of all emails with attachments prior to their delivery to a "generic" ISP
    | email account is nothing short of absurd, as these Hotmail accounts were not
    | the free variety, but the fully paid ones. Compare those figures to the ones
    | where the generic ISP email accounts exchanged emails with attachments and
    | you will clearly see the difference. The worst performance was in making 2%
    | Vanish.
    `----

    http://hubpages.com/hub/Hotmail_Fail...achment_Emails

    Botnet army' behind tenfold rise in 'attachment' spam

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "No one but the spam group knows how many PCs they can control with this
    | spambot, it is assumed to be a high five figure number. If each of the PCs is
    | instructed to send 200-300 spam messages containing a PDF attachment the
    | spammers can send hundreds or millions of spam messages in a day - equivalent
    | to 25 percent of all spam sent on a given day."
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/index.php?opti...66&Itemid=1054

    Vista: What To Do When You Cannot Delete a Message in Windows Mail

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A number of users are experiencing problems with Windows Mail and
    | deleting messages from the Inbox and Outbox. The message will first
    | become unviewable in the reading pane and will then generate an
    | error when you try to delete it.
    `----

    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2270/...n_windows_mail

    Microsoft looking into Hotmail, Messenger problems

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft engineers were looking into problems with Windows Live
    | Hotmail and Live Messenger on Thursday after users reported
    | problems getting onto the services.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6175597.html

    Microsoft shipped OneCare unfinished?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since shipping in May, OneCare has failed industry tests and exposed
    | users to attack because of a security flaw in the antivirus engine.
    | The application also incorrectly flagged Gmail as a virus and in some
    | cases quarantined or even deleted complete in-boxes when a single
    | e-mail was laden with a virus.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-616...0-20&subj=news

    Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
    | average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
    | could find it here.
    |
    | Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
    | because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the
    | real digital inequities in the world.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft's Hotmail Snubs Free Software, GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Hotmail doesn't work with Firefox 2.0: Microsoft answers to Linux users "Switch
    > to Outlook Express"
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| I?m the increasingly discontent owner of an Hotmail account (don?t laught, I
    >| subscribed back when Hotmail wasn?t owned by Microsoft). Recently, in order
    >| to compete with Google on the Web, Hotmail?s interface was overhauled: it now
    >| has a ?classic? interface, which works reasonably well but is still rather
    >| limited, and a supposedly ?Full? interface that should make it the equal of
    >| sites like Google Apps and Yahoo Mail/Calendar/etc.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...with_firefox_2

    Since anything up to 50% of people are using Firefox, Microsoft are
    essentially eliminating themselves from a massive potential userbase.
    Any normal company would never consider taking such short-sighted
    action. Microsoft still seem to be chasing the "monopoly" dream, which
    I believe is now going to elude them forever.

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft's Hotmail Snubs Free Software, GNU/Linux

    "Mark Kent" schreef in bericht
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Hotmail doesn't work with Firefox 2.0: Microsoft answers to Linux users
    >> "Switch
    >> to Outlook Express"
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| I?m the increasingly discontent owner of an Hotmail account (don?t
    >>laught, I
    >>| subscribed back when Hotmail wasn?t owned by Microsoft). Recently, in
    >>order
    >>| to compete with Google on the Web, Hotmail?s interface was overhauled:
    >>it now
    >>| has a ?classic? interface, which works reasonably well but is still
    >>rather
    >>| limited, and a supposedly ?Full? interface that should make it the equal
    >>of
    >>| sites like Google Apps and Yahoo Mail/Calendar/etc.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...with_firefox_2

    > Since anything up to 50% of people are using Firefox,

    Mark Kent is lying again, his lies go on and on and on.........
    December 2007 Firefox 36.3%
    Meet this liar:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...kent-liar.html

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft's Hotmail Snubs Free Software, GNU/Linux

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 25 January 2008 16:12 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Hotmail doesn't work with Firefox 2.0: Microsoft answers to Linux users
    >> "Switch to Outlook Express"
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| I?m the increasingly discontent owner of an Hotmail account (don?t laught,
    >>| I subscribed back when Hotmail wasn?t owned by Microsoft). Recently, in
    >>| order to compete with Google on the Web, Hotmail?s interface was
    >>| overhauled: it now has a ?classic? interface, which works reasonably well
    >>| but is still rather limited, and a supposedly ?Full? interface that should
    >>| make it the equal of sites like Google Apps and Yahoo Mail/Calendar/etc.
    >> `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...with_firefox_2

    > Since anything up to 50% of people are using Firefox, Microsoft are
    > essentially eliminating themselves from a massive potential userbase.
    > Any normal company would never consider taking such short-sighted
    > action. Microsoft still seem to be chasing the "monopoly" dream, which
    > I believe is now going to elude them forever.

    They lose $billions in their online division, IIRC. Microsoft is hurting and
    the financial figures are a case of bluffing. I'll post something about this
    shortly.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | BadVista? I guess it makes Vista a dog.
    23:20:01 up 1 day, 9:14, 3 users, load average: 0.63, 1.47, 1.79

  5. Re: [News] Microsoft's Hotmail Snubs Free Software, GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 25 January 2008 16:12 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Hotmail doesn't work with Firefox 2.0: Microsoft answers to Linux users
    >>> "Switch to Outlook Express"
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...with_firefox_2
    >>
    >> Since anything up to 50% of people are using Firefox, Microsoft are
    >> essentially eliminating themselves from a massive potential userbase.
    >> Any normal company would never consider taking such short-sighted
    >> action. Microsoft still seem to be chasing the "monopoly" dream, which
    >> I believe is now going to elude them forever.

    > They lose $billions in their online division, IIRC. Microsoft is hurting and
    > the financial figures are a case of bluffing. I'll post something about this
    > shortly.

    Sooner or later they will not be able to continue with share buy-backs,
    and the poor state of their businesses will start to become clear. At
    that point, I expect that they will reorganise, so that it becomes
    impossible to determine what's really going on.

  6. Re: [News] Microsoft's Hotmail Snubs Free Software, GNU/Linux

    ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 26 January 2008 09:54 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 25 January 2008 16:12 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...with_firefox_2

    >>> Since anything up to 50% of people are using Firefox, Microsoft are
    >>> essentially eliminating themselves from a massive potential userbase.
    >>> Any normal company would never consider taking such short-sighted
    >>> action. Microsoft still seem to be chasing the "monopoly" dream, which
    >>> I believe is now going to elude them forever.

    >> They lose $billions in their online division, IIRC. Microsoft is hurting and
    >> the financial figures are a case of bluffing. I'll post something about this
    >> shortly.
    >>

    > Sooner or later they will not be able to continue with share buy-backs,
    > and the poor state of their businesses will start to become clear. At
    > that point, I expect that they will reorganise, so that it becomes
    > impossible to determine what's really going on.

    There are the dividends too. I posted about it in BN. They are bluffing like
    there's no tomorrow. Several people are aware of this.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Signature pending approval"
    roy pts/4 cg093a.halls.man Mon Jan 28 02:01 still logged in

  7. Re: [News] Microsoft's Hotmail Snubs Free Software, GNU/Linux

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:40:28 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > There are the dividends too. I posted about it in BN. They are bluffing like
    > there's no tomorrow. Several people are aware of this.

    More statements without proof.

+ Reply to Thread