Confirmed: Microsoft is fiddling with system files without permission - Linux

This is a discussion on Confirmed: Microsoft is fiddling with system files without permission - Linux ; Update: After checking a system set not to automatically update I can confirm that this stealth update is real. [To rest of the article reflects his earlier understanding, in which he was not sure that the update was real.] If ...

  1. Confirmed: Microsoft is fiddling with system files without permission

    Update: After checking a system set not to automatically update I can
    confirm that this stealth update is real.

    [To rest of the article reflects his earlier understanding, in which
    he was not sure that the update was real.]

    If this turns out to be true, it has some very serious (and
    disturbing) implications:

    Microsoft Corp. has started updating files on computers running
    Windows XP and Vista, even when users have explicitly disabled the
    operating systems' automatic update feature, researchers said today.

    [XP and Vista do the update without notification. List of files
    supplied.]
    [Serious betrayal, will lead to all kinds of trouble.]

    On top of that, it paves the way for companies to make silent updates
    to technologies such as DRM and anti-piracy features.

    Microsoft needs to address this issue and address it fast because the
    fallout from this could be very damaging.

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=774

  2. Re: Confirmed: Microsoft is fiddling with system files without permission

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Microsoft Corp. has started updating files on computers running
    > Windows XP and Vista, even when users have explicitly disabled the
    > operating systems' automatic update feature, researchers said today.

    One more reason not have Windows any where near You or Your network.

    --
    Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas (gamaral)
    # Free & Open-source Software Advocate

  3. Re: Confirmed: Microsoft is fiddling with system files without permission

    ____/ Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas on Thursday 13 September 2007 18:44 :
    \____

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft Corp. has started updating files on computers running
    >> Windows XP and Vista, even when users have explicitly disabled the
    >> operating systems' automatic update feature, researchers said today.

    Didn't you hear? Microsoft knows better than the owner of the PC. When Windows
    is installed, the user, who paid for a licence to use the software, is no
    longer in control of the PC.

    > One more reason not have Windows any where near You or Your network.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL'd Othello: http://othellomaster.com