[News] Wired Takes a Look at 'Linux-based iPod' from Germany - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Wired Takes a Look at 'Linux-based iPod' from Germany - Linux ; Review: Haier Ibiza Rhapsody 30GB Rocks Us With Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The Ibiza's iPod knock-off aesthetics hide one of the most innovative | attempts at a media player in years. Paired with a Rhapsody To-Go music | subscription ...

  1. [News] Wired Takes a Look at 'Linux-based iPod' from Germany

    Review: Haier Ibiza Rhapsody 30GB Rocks Us With Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Ibiza's iPod knock-off aesthetics hide one of the most innovative
    | attempts at a media player in years. Paired with a Rhapsody To-Go music
    | subscription ($15/month), the Linux-based player lets you access Rhapsody's
    | full content library from any Wi-Fi hotspot.
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...-haier-ib.html

    Recent:

    A Linux-powered iPhone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The most interesting part on Wired magazine's revelation was during iPhone’s
    | software development. On a very tight deadline to finish the iPhone right on
    | time, Apple software engineers looked carefully at Linux, since it had
    | * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | already been rewritten for use on mobile phones. But, Linux on iPhone was
    | denied by Steve Jobs for the reason that he do not want to utilize someone
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | else’s software. Just imagine the endless possibilities had Steve agreed. It
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | would have been a big break for Linux, and iPhone could have been a much more
    | powerful and smarter mobile device. It would have been a jaw-dropping
    | combination of beauty and brains. * * * *
    |
    | Since Linux powered iPhone is now far from reality, I have here some photos
    | of make-believe iPhone running with a GNOME desktop and with a Firefox web
    | browser. *
    `----

    http://junauza.blogspot.com/2008/01/...ed-iphone.html

  2. Re: [News] Wired Takes a Look at 'Linux-based iPod' from Germany

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 02:58:08 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Review: Haier Ibiza Rhapsody 30GB Rocks Us With Linux

    Actually it's another Linux hack that will go no place.

  3. Re: [News] Wired Takes a Look at 'Linux-based iPod' from Germany

    In article <1357753.FY1NeZIKfW@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Review: Haier Ibiza Rhapsody 30GB Rocks Us With Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The Ibiza's iPod knock-off aesthetics hide one of the most innovative
    > | attempts at a media player in years. Paired with a Rhapsody To-Go music
    > | subscription ($15/month), the Linux-based player lets you access Rhapsody's
    > | full content library from any Wi-Fi hotspot.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...-haier-ib.html

    $300 for 30 GB. The 80 GB iPod classic is $249.

    2.75 hours battery life for video. 5 hours for the iPod.

    Cut the price in half and it has a decent chance. It has a couple nice
    features, but not enough to justify $50 more than an iPod that has more
    than twice the capacity and better battery life.

    > Recent:
    >
    > A Linux-powered iPhone
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The most interesting part on Wired magazine's revelation was during
    > | iPhone’s
    > | software development. On a very tight deadline to finish the iPhone right
    > | on
    > | time, Apple software engineers looked carefully at Linux, since it had
    > | * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > | already been rewritten for use on mobile phones. But, Linux on iPhone was
    > | denied by Steve Jobs for the reason that he do not want to utilize someone
    > | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > | else’s software. Just imagine the endless possibilities had Steve agreed.
    > | It
    > | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > | would have been a big break for Linux, and iPhone could have been a much
    > | more
    > | powerful and smarter mobile device. It would have been a jaw-dropping
    > | combination of beauty and brains. * *

    How would Linux have been more powerful? The iPhone has an embedded
    version of OS X. What can Linux do that OS X can't do?
    * *
    --
    --Tim Smith

  4. Re: [News] Wired Takes a Look at 'Linux-based iPod' from Germany

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 23:32:02 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <1357753.FY1NeZIKfW@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Review: Haier Ibiza Rhapsody 30GB Rocks Us With Linux
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The Ibiza's iPod knock-off aesthetics hide one of the most innovative
    >>| attempts at a media player in years. Paired with a Rhapsody To-Go music
    >>| subscription ($15/month), the Linux-based player lets you access Rhapsody's
    >>| full content library from any Wi-Fi hotspot.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...-haier-ib.html

    > $300 for 30 GB. The 80 GB iPod classic is $249.
    >
    > 2.75 hours battery life for video. 5 hours for the iPod.
    >
    > Cut the price in half and it has a decent chance. It has a couple nice
    > features, but not enough to justify $50 more than an iPod that has more
    > than twice the capacity and better battery life.

    Yet another example of a Linux device doing less and costing the consumer
    more.

    Cut the price 60 percent and it might have a chance.

    > How would Linux have been more powerful? The iPhone has an embedded
    > version of OS X. What can Linux do that OS X can't do?

    Suck up your time trying to make it, Linux, work, like a Hoover sucks up
    dirt?

  5. Re: [News] Wired Takes a Look at 'Linux-based iPod' from Germany

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Review: Haier Ibiza Rhapsody 30GB Rocks Us With Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The Ibiza's iPod knock-off aesthetics hide one of the most innovative
    > | attempts at a media player in years. Paired with a Rhapsody To-Go music
    > | subscription ($15/month), the Linux-based player lets you access
    > Rhapsody's
    > | full content library from any Wi-Fi hotspot.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...-haier-ib.html

    Consumers will surely be attracted to the Ibiza iPod "knock-off" the same
    way consumers like to buy those high quality Rolex knock-off watches.

    And since the "knock-off" costs more than the real thing but offers 50% less
    storage this "knock-off" is surely going to sell like hot-cakes because it
    runs LINUX. Consumers won't care that they're buying an expensive less
    capable "knock-off" from a company they've never heard of. They'll buy this
    instead of the iPod just because it runs LINUX.

    Email me when you get a chance. There's an inexpensive "knock-off" bridge
    that I can sell you for cheap.

  6. Re: [News] Wired Takes a Look at 'Linux-based iPod' from Germany

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Review: Haier Ibiza Rhapsody 30GB Rocks Us With Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The Ibiza's iPod knock-off aesthetics hide one of the most innovative
    > | attempts at a media player in years. Paired with a Rhapsody To-Go music
    > | subscription ($15/month), the Linux-based player lets you access
    > Rhapsody's
    > | full content library from any Wi-Fi hotspot.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...-haier-ib.html

    Consumers will surely be attracted to the Ibiza iPod "knock-off" the same
    way consumers like to buy those high quality Rolex knock-off watches.

    And since the "knock-off" costs more than the real thing but offers 50% less
    storage this "knock-off" is surely going to sell like hot-cakes because it
    runs LINUX. Consumers won't care that they're buying an expensive less
    capable "knock-off" from a company they've never heard of. They'll buy this
    instead of the iPod just because it runs LINUX.

    And if being a cheap expensive knock-off with a tiny screen isn't already
    bad enough. The SCARY number of crashes and lock-ups will definitely help
    bring in customers.

    TIRED Extremely scary cycle of repeated system crashes occurred once after a
    player lockup, but subsided. Tiny 2.5-inch screen and paltry 2.75 hours of
    video playback. Most videos need conversion for playback, with no support
    for DivX or XviD and very specific format requirements. No equalizer or
    playback options. Not Mac compatible

    Email me when you get a chance. There's an inexpensive "knock-off" bridge
    that I can sell you for cheap.

  7. Re: [News] Wired Takes a Look at 'Linux-based iPod' from Germany

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:55:11 -0500, Tito Benito wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> Review: Haier Ibiza Rhapsody 30GB Rocks Us With Linux
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The Ibiza's iPod knock-off aesthetics hide one of the most innovative
    >>| attempts at a media player in years. Paired with a Rhapsody To-Go music
    >>| subscription ($15/month), the Linux-based player lets you access
    >> Rhapsody's
    >>| full content library from any Wi-Fi hotspot.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...-haier-ib.html
    >>

    > Consumers will surely be attracted to the Ibiza iPod "knock-off" the same
    > way consumers like to buy those high quality Rolex knock-off watches.
    >
    > And since the "knock-off" costs more than the real thing but offers 50% less
    > storage this "knock-off" is surely going to sell like hot-cakes because it
    > runs LINUX. Consumers won't care that they're buying an expensive less
    > capable "knock-off" from a company they've never heard of. They'll buy this
    > instead of the iPod just because it runs LINUX.
    >
    > Email me when you get a chance. There's an inexpensive "knock-off" bridge
    > that I can sell you for cheap.

    But, but, but, it runs Linux so it HAS to be better.
    No?
    And because it runs Linux, people are going to pay double for less
    capability right?

    Sure...

    BTW Schestowitz and Mark Kent already "own" that bridge.
    They purchased it last year.
    haha!

  8. Re: [News] Wired Takes a Look at 'Linux-based iPod' from Germany

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:24:05 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > But, but, but, it runs Linux so it HAS to be better. No?
    > And because it runs Linux, people are going to pay double for less
    > capability right?

    Absolutely, the more pragmatic approach is to install Linux onto an iPod.

    -Thufir

  9. Re: [News] Wired Takes a Look at 'Linux-based iPod' from Germany

    On 2008-01-25, Thufir wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:24:05 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >

    >> But, but, but, it runs Linux so it HAS to be better. No?
    >> And because it runs Linux, people are going to pay double for less
    >> capability right?

    > Absolutely, the more pragmatic approach is to install Linux onto an iPod.

    How would that work in terms of format support?

    I would like to be able to use all of my media files with minimal fuss.
    A lot of my stuff wasn't originally generated with the intention of targeting
    an iPod. Some of my stuff predates ANY iPod infact.

    Been contemplating an Archos...

    --

    iTunes is not progressive. It's a throwback. |||
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  10. Re: [News] Wired Takes a Look at 'Linux-based iPod' from Germany

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:15:32 -0600, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-01-25, Thufir wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:24:05 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>

    >>> But, but, but, it runs Linux so it HAS to be better. No?
    >>> And because it runs Linux, people are going to pay double for less
    >>> capability right?

    >> Absolutely, the more pragmatic approach is to install Linux onto an iPod.

    > How would that work in terms of format support?
    >
    > I would like to be able to use all of my media files with minimal fuss.
    > A lot of my stuff wasn't originally generated with the intention of targeting
    > an iPod. Some of my stuff predates ANY iPod infact.
    >
    > Been contemplating an Archos...

    They're very good, if a mite expensive, but you can get large capacity
    versions, and they come in a variety of sizes from pocketable to
    half-brick :-) They are more for 'serious' use than carrying around all
    the time, IMO, but excellent media players - I have a 504 and there are
    wifi and touchscreen versions now.

    --
    Kier

  11. Re: [News] Wired Takes a Look at 'Linux-based iPod' from Germany

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 07:15:49 +0000, Kier wrote:

    >>> Absolutely, the more pragmatic approach is to install Linux onto an
    >>> iPod.

    >> How would that work in terms of format support?
    >>
    >> I would like to be able to use all of my media files with minimal
    >> fuss.
    >> A lot of my stuff wasn't originally generated with the intention of
    >> targeting an iPod. Some of my stuff predates ANY iPod infact.
    >>
    >> Been contemplating an Archos...

    > They're very good,

    I haven't done that, not having an iPod, so I'll have to suggest one of
    the linux/iPod groups through gmane for details.

    To my knowledge, it would the same as format support for most any other
    distro, perhaps even better. There are the usual legal problems with
    downloading codecs, of course.

    Aside from the legal question of whether or not to download the codecs, I
    understand that it's quite a smooth process. Was there a particular
    format you had in mind?

    -Thufir

+ Reply to Thread