Windows Agents Quibble Liability for Hardware Fault - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows Agents Quibble Liability for Hardware Fault - Linux ; Linux keeps man from receiving warranty repairs Business and Law By Rick C. Hodgin tgdaily Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:30 http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33819/118/ London, England - A British company called PC World has denied a repair request on a physical case defect ...

  1. Windows Agents Quibble Liability for Hardware Fault

    Linux keeps man from receiving warranty repairs

    Business and Law
    By Rick C. Hodgin
    tgdaily
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:30

    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33819/118/

    London, England - A British company called PC World has denied a repair
    request on a physical case defect for an Acer notebook only because it had
    Linux installed on it. The owner is currently seeking legal advice and
    has contacted a local CAB (citizen's advice bureau) to make sure PC World
    is not acting improperly. His notebook remains unrepaired.

    When 25-yr old Morris took his five month old notebook back to the same
    retail store he bought it from for warranty repairs, he expected it to be
    fixed promptly. Purchased with cash on March 29, the notebook came with
    the standard one-year manufacturer's warranty which included hardware.
    The notebook is an Acer Aspire 9301AWSMi with a 17" display and is powered
    by a single-core AMD Turion processor. It originally came with Windows
    Vista Home Premium installed, though he's now installed Sabayon/Gentoo.

    He was having a problem with the screen's left hinge. It was broken
    internally and a small crack has formed in the case. He owned a similar
    notebook previously with the same problem. The defect caused the crack to
    grow to the point where it eventually caused his notebook to completely
    fail. Morris believes this crack will also spread, causing the machine to
    eventually fail.

    When two PC World technicians looked at his machine they agreed the hinge
    was broken and needed repair. In fact, they even told Morris this hinge
    problem is a very common issue with notebooks. He then expected them to
    take the unit away and repair it. But that's not what happened.

    They told him it couldn't be repaired because it had Linux on it. Linux
    installations are not covered by warranty requests. He was told in no
    uncertain terms that Linux was the exact reason he would not be receiving
    any warranty service. He was told this by two separate technicians and,
    after being denied and asking to speak the manager, the notebook still
    remains unrepaired.

    This story was originally posted yesterday and has already sent
    shock-waves across the Internet. The idea that a known hardware defect
    could not be repaired because of an owners choice to install an alternate
    OS is really something. Especially when Morris tells TG Daily he was not
    informed at the time of sale that installing an alternate OS would void
    the warranty.

    A follow-up post was made today by Morris indicating he's received
    countless emails offering advice and support on how best to proceed. He
    informed TG Daily that although he's currently unemployed, he is in the
    process of seeking legal advice. He's also contacted a local citizen's
    action bureau but has not received a response yet.

    The owner's position is really very simple. Hardware failures, and
    specifically those which are known to be common like hinge problems,
    should not be denied because of any software installed. And especially so
    when that software would have no bearing on the defect manifesting itself
    through normal use. Linux did not contribute to this problem as it
    would've also happened if any OS was installed. And yet, PC world is
    denying warranty service for that reason.

    It had been suggested to him that he temporarily re-install Vista to get
    the machine repaired, then go back to Linux. However, he informed TG
    Daily that it's now been logged in their system that he has Linux
    installed. As such, his warranty options are gone.

    The two PC World technicians who helped Morris agreed that the Linux
    policy was unbelievable. They even laughed about it in a sort of "we're
    with you, man. Nothing personal, it's just policy, you know" type of way.
    And yet Morris now sits with a notebook continuing to grow worse through
    normal use. It may eventually fail as his previous notebook did. And if
    it does, based on PC World's Linux policy, he'll be left out in the cold
    with only a broken notebook and bad memories of PC World to comfort him.

    Morris has promised to keep TG Daily posted for any relevant developments.
    PC World is a sister company with Currys and other UK based retailers out
    of London.

  2. Re: Windows Agents Quibble Liability for Hardware Fault

    "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    > Linux keeps man from receiving warranty repairs
    >
    > Business and Law
    > By Rick C. Hodgin
    > tgdaily
    > Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:30
    >
    > http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33819/118/
    >
    > London, England - A British company called PC World has denied a repair
    > request on a physical case defect for an Acer notebook only because it had
    > Linux installed on it. The owner is currently seeking legal advice and
    > has contacted a local CAB (citizen's advice bureau) to make sure PC World
    > is not acting improperly. His notebook remains unrepaired.

    This doesn't seem fair. Whether it's Windows, Linux, DOS or OS2 a broken
    hinge ought to be covered by warrantee regardless of what OS is on there.

    Side note - Didn't I see all sorts of posts here a while back how Acer is
    now a "friend" of Linux and how the CEO is bad mouthing Microsoft? If so...
    how is this even plausible.

  3. Re: Windows Agents Quibble Liability for Hardware Fault

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:36:27 -0400, SgtMajor Gansevoort wrote:

    > "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    >> Linux keeps man from receiving warranty repairs
    >>
    >> Business and Law
    >> By Rick C. Hodgin
    >> tgdaily
    >> Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:30
    >>
    >> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33819/118/
    >>
    >> London, England - A British company called PC World has denied a repair
    >> request on a physical case defect for an Acer notebook only because it had
    >> Linux installed on it. The owner is currently seeking legal advice and
    >> has contacted a local CAB (citizen's advice bureau) to make sure PC World
    >> is not acting improperly. His notebook remains unrepaired.

    > This doesn't seem fair. Whether it's Windows, Linux, DOS or OS2 a broken
    > hinge ought to be covered by warrantee regardless of what OS is on there.
    >
    > Side note - Didn't I see all sorts of posts here a while back how Acer is
    > now a "friend" of Linux and how the CEO is bad mouthing Microsoft? If so...
    > how is this even plausible.

    Update: PC World have now decided to do the decent thing.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...nux/print.html

    But why was it necessary to go through the hassle in the first place?

    Answer: because M$ are scared stiff of losing sales to a superior system.

    So much for freedom of choice.

    So much for the claim that, given freedom of choice, most would choose
    Windows.

  4. Re: Windows Agents Quibble Liability for Hardware Fault

    "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:36:27 -0400, SgtMajor Gansevoort wrote:
    >
    >> "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    >>> Linux keeps man from receiving warranty repairs
    >>>
    >>> Business and Law
    >>> By Rick C. Hodgin
    >>> tgdaily
    >>> Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:30
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33819/118/
    >>>
    >>> London, England - A British company called PC World has denied a repair
    >>> request on a physical case defect for an Acer notebook only because it
    >>> had
    >>> Linux installed on it. The owner is currently seeking legal advice and
    >>> has contacted a local CAB (citizen's advice bureau) to make sure PC
    >>> World
    >>> is not acting improperly. His notebook remains unrepaired.

    >> This doesn't seem fair. Whether it's Windows, Linux, DOS or OS2 a broken
    >> hinge ought to be covered by warrantee regardless of what OS is on there.
    >>
    >> Side note - Didn't I see all sorts of posts here a while back how Acer is
    >> now a "friend" of Linux and how the CEO is bad mouthing Microsoft? If
    >> so...
    >> how is this even plausible.
    >>

    > Update: PC World have now decided to do the decent thing.
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...nux/print.html
    >
    > But why was it necessary to go through the hassle in the first place?

    Because people who work at PC World aren't allowed to think. They can only
    follow policy.

    > Answer: because M$ are scared stiff of losing sales to a superior system.

    Errr - yeah. That must be it. I'm sure that the service tech at PC World did
    a conference call with Ballmer and Gates to get super-secret approval to fix
    the hinge and they turned him down. Clearly the service tech's actions at PC
    World are the direct result of Microsoft telling him what to do.

    > So much for freedom of choice.
    >
    > So much for the claim that, given freedom of choice, most would choose
    > Windows.

    Most do choose Windows.

  5. Re: Windows Agents Quibble Liability for Hardware Fault

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:49:16 -0400, SgtMajor Gansevoort wrote:

    >> So much for freedom of choice.
    >>
    >> So much for the claim that, given freedom of choice, most would choose
    >> Windows.

    > Most do choose Windows.

    They do not choose Windows. They 'choose' hardware that, thanks to an
    exclusive agreement between M$ and the dealer/manufacturer, has Windows
    installed. In a retail environment where there is no alternative being
    offered, because (again) of the exclusive agreement between M$ and the
    dealer/manufacturer. It is a corrupt cartel, and should be dealt with by
    law in the interest of free competition and free trade.

    Retailers who get into this kind of agreement should be put out of
    business by law, together with their sponsors.

  6. Re: Windows Agents Quibble Liability for Hardware Fault

    SgtMajor Gansevoort wrote:

    > "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:36:27 -0400, SgtMajor Gansevoort wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Robin T Cox" wrote in message

    > >> This doesn't seem fair. Whether it's Windows, Linux, DOS or OS2 a
    > >> broken hinge ought to be covered by warrantee regardless of what
    > >> OS is on there.
    > >>
    > >> Side note - Didn't I see all sorts of posts here a while back how
    > >> Acer is now a "friend" of Linux and how the CEO is bad mouthing
    > >> Microsoft? If so...
    > >> how is this even plausible.
    > >>

    > > Update: PC World have now decided to do the decent thing.
    > >
    > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...nux/print.html
    > >
    > > But why was it necessary to go through the hassle in the first
    > > place?

    > Because people who work at PC World aren't allowed to think. They can
    > only follow policy.
    >

    > > Answer: because M$ are scared stiff of losing sales to a superior
    > > system.

    > Errr - yeah. That must be it. I'm sure that the service tech at PC
    > World did a conference call with Ballmer and Gates to get

    Actually no. Conference calls aren't necessary because when you "sign
    on" to be a Winblows reseller at levels that get you the big discounts
    you must sign an agreement whereby you have to refuse to support other
    operating systems in any way shape or form. That's one of the big
    reasons MicroSloth is in deep hot water with the monopoly police.

    CrApple's contract is even worse tha Micro$loth's by the way, and if
    CrApple ever gains the market share Micro$loth has they'll be bathing
    in even hotter water.

    > super-secret approval to fix the hinge and they turned him down.
    > Clearly the service tech's actions at PC World are the direct result
    > of Microsoft telling him what to do.
    >

    > > So much for freedom of choice.
    > >
    > > So much for the claim that, given freedom of choice, most would
    > > choose Windows.

    > Most do choose Windows.

    Total bull****. Most don't HAVE a choice because their machines come
    pre-installed with Winblows and other operating systems aren't even on
    the menu.

    Thankfully, a few mainstream hardware peddlers like Dell have thumbed
    their noses at Micro$loth's illegal business model and decided to sell
    and support both. As a consequence, Linux is gradually gaining ground
    on the 300 pound Micro$loth gorilla. And Micro$sloth and all it's cult
    members are trembling with fear.

  7. Re: Windows Agents Quibble Liability for Hardware Fault

    ____/ Robin T Cox on Thursday 13 September 2007 18:24 : \____

    > Linux keeps man from receiving warranty repairs
    >
    > Business and Law
    > By Rick C. Hodgin
    > tgdaily
    > Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:30
    >
    > http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33819/118/

    They have begun pretending there was "some kind of a terrible mistake".. same
    as Compaq/H-P when they realise what happens when you snub Linux.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL'd Othello: http://othellomaster.com

  8. Re: Windows Agents Quibble Liability for Hardware Fault

    "Anonymous Sender" wrote in message
    news:b006d88d61683010ec7aadd03585220a@remailer.met acolo.com...
    > SgtMajor Gansevoort wrote:
    >

    >> "Robin T Cox" wrote in message

    >> > Update: PC World have now decided to do the decent thing.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...nux/print.html
    >> >
    >> > But why was it necessary to go through the hassle in the first
    >> > place?

    >> Because people who work at PC World aren't allowed to think. They can
    >> only follow policy.
    >>

    >> > Answer: because M$ are scared stiff of losing sales to a superior
    >> > system.

    >> Errr - yeah. That must be it. I'm sure that the service tech at PC
    >> World did a conference call with Ballmer and Gates to get

    > Actually no. Conference calls aren't necessary because when you "sign
    > on" to be a Winblows reseller at levels that get you the big discounts
    > you must sign an agreement whereby you have to refuse to support other
    > operating systems in any way shape or form. That's one of the big
    > reasons MicroSloth is in deep hot water with the monopoly police.

    So your claim is that they couldn't fix it because they signed agreements
    that don't allow them to fix computers or "support other operating systems
    in any way shape or form" with anything other than Windows on them. Then how
    do you explain the reversal of *their* policy because now it appears they
    will fix the computer? Did they get special permission from Microsoft or did
    the Service Tech take it upon himself to break his companies contract with
    Microsoft?

    > CrApple's contract is even worse tha Micro$loth's by the way, and if
    > CrApple ever gains the market share Micro$loth has they'll be bathing
    > in even hotter water.
    >

    >> super-secret approval to fix the hinge and they turned him down.
    >> Clearly the service tech's actions at PC World are the direct result
    >> of Microsoft telling him what to do.
    >>

    >> > So much for freedom of choice.
    >> >
    >> > So much for the claim that, given freedom of choice, most would
    >> > choose Windows.

    >> Most do choose Windows.

    > Total bull****. Most don't HAVE a choice because their machines come
    > pre-installed with Winblows and other operating systems aren't even on
    > the menu.
    >
    > Thankfully, a few mainstream hardware peddlers like Dell have thumbed
    > their noses at Micro$loth's illegal business model and decided to sell
    > and support both. As a consequence, Linux is gradually gaining ground
    > on the 300 pound Micro$loth gorilla. And Micro$sloth and all it's cult
    > members are trembling with fear.

    But a couple of paragraphs ago you said that: "to be a Winblows reseller at
    levels that get you the big discounts you must sign an agreement whereby you
    have to refuse to support other operating systems in any way shape or form."
    So obviously that was total BS because Dell, HP, IBM etc all offer linux
    computers.

    Which is it flyer? Get your story straight because you're not making any
    sense.