Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista - Linux

This is a discussion on Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista - Linux ; I have an existing Dual Core Intel system I would like to set up with a dual boot option of Ubuntu. Does Ubuntu support Dual Core Intel chips? How easy is it to install Ubuntu for a dual boot scenario ...

  1. Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista

    I have an existing Dual Core Intel system I would like to set up with
    a dual boot option of Ubuntu.

    Does Ubuntu support Dual Core Intel chips?

    How easy is it to install Ubuntu for a dual boot scenario after M$
    Vista is already installed? Is this supported from the latest install
    version of Ubuntu (with a partitioning option and formatting available
    during the install), or would I need to partition and format prior to
    trying to install Ubuntu?

    I've installed and used Red Hat and Slackware in dual boot scenarios
    in the past with Windows (95, NT and XP), but this will be my first
    shot at Ubuntu with Vista. Just thought I would post here for any
    suggestions from others before I leap into the fray.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

    - Scott

  2. Re: Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:48:10 -0700, rational.cognition wrote:

    > I have an existing Dual Core Intel system I would like to set up with
    > a dual boot option of Ubuntu.
    >
    > Does Ubuntu support Dual Core Intel chips?

    Yes.

    > How easy is it to install Ubuntu for a dual boot scenario after M$
    > Vista is already installed? Is this supported from the latest install
    > version of Ubuntu (with a partitioning option and formatting available
    > during the install), or would I need to partition and format prior to
    > trying to install Ubuntu?

    It is trivial. During the install you will be given several choices - one
    of them is to set up your own partitioning scheme. I tend to do the
    partitioning beforehand using the Gparted Live CD, but you can do it
    during the install.

    It will detect installed OS's and set up the dual boot automagically.

    > I've installed and used Red Hat and Slackware in dual boot scenarios
    > in the past with Windows (95, NT and XP), but this will be my first
    > shot at Ubuntu with Vista. Just thought I would post here for any
    > suggestions from others before I leap into the fray.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
    >
    > - Scott

  3. Re: Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, rational.cognition@gmail.com

    wrote
    <1189698490.315680.264530@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>:

    > I have an existing Dual Core Intel system I would like to set up with
    > a dual boot option of Ubuntu.
    >
    > Does Ubuntu support Dual Core Intel chips?

    Define "support". Presumably, the dual cores will execute
    any 386-compatible instruction (-mcpu=386), but may not
    run optimally.

    > How easy is it to install Ubuntu for a dual boot scenario after M$
    > Vista is already installed? Is this supported from the latest install
    > version of Ubuntu (with a partitioning option and formatting available
    > during the install), or would I need to partition and format prior to
    > trying to install Ubuntu?

    On XP one can run ntfsresize to shrink the one and only partition
    given on most OEM installations. I don't know if one can still use
    ntfsresize on Vista's version of NTFS.

    > I've installed and used Red Hat and Slackware in dual boot scenarios
    > in the past with Windows (95, NT and XP), but this will be my first
    > shot at Ubuntu with Vista. Just thought I would post here for any
    > suggestions from others before I leap into the fray.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

    When in doubt, take a LiveDisc and do a physical backup. :-)
    Ideally, one would simply do an NFS mount of another machine
    and then transfer a compressed image:

    # dd if=/dev/hda | gzip > /mnt/somewhere/backup.gz

    Should anything go wrong, one can restore the disk:

    # gunzip < /mnt/somewhere/backup.gz | dd of=/dev/hda

    This is of course a physical backup; any badspots on the
    disk will cause problems. (Modern disks aren't too bad
    in that area, though -- especially brand new ones.) Of
    course, not everyone has a second machine with lots of
    disk space handy, either.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
    bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false; return h;}

  4. Re: Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista

    rational.cognition@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have an existing Dual Core Intel system I would like to set up with
    > a dual boot option of Ubuntu.
    >
    > Does Ubuntu support Dual Core Intel chips?

    Absolutely! Your dual core should be detected and the optimized "SMP"
    kernel installed by default. There's also some post-install tweaks you
    can do, like this .bashrc addition if you compile software from source
    packages...

    export MAKEFLAGS="-j`ls -1 /sys/devices/system/cpu | wc -l`"

    > How easy is it to install Ubuntu for a dual boot scenario after M$

    Trivially easy. The installer provides multiple options with brief,
    but clear and concise explanations of what each one is, and there's
    intuitive graphical tools to help you implement your decsions. There's
    also an extensive local and on line help system available from within
    the LiveCD environment if you'd like more detailed information.

    > Vista is already installed? Is this supported from the latest install
    > version of Ubuntu (with a partitioning option and formatting available
    > during the install), or would I need to partition and format prior to
    > trying to install Ubuntu?

    Best plan is to download the latest stable Desktop ISO. Thats 7.04
    "Feisty Fawn" at the moment. The beta 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon" is also
    available, and impressively stable for a beta if you like to live on
    the bleeding edge. ;0)

    Burn the CD, reboot to that CD, and you're magically transported into a
    full working (albeit slow because it's running from the CD) version of
    Feisty. In the menus you'll find everything you need. The standard
    partitioning tool is labeled "GNOME Partition Editor", in the "System >
    Administration" menu on the LiveCD if memory serves. There's also
    something along the lines of "Install Ubuntu" in there somewhere that
    will take you to the install process proper and walk you though the
    process of partitioning according to several basic strategies, or allow
    you to customize at will.

    > I've installed and used Red Hat and Slackware in dual boot scenarios
    > in the past with Windows (95, NT and XP), but this will be my first
    > shot at Ubuntu with Vista. Just thought I would post here for any
    > suggestions from others before I leap into the fray.

    Things are advancing quickly, and Ubuntu is at the lead in this respect.
    I have no doubt at all the process of setting up a dual boot will be
    painless, and a real pleasant surprise for someone like you who has
    done it the "hard way" in the past.

  5. Re: Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista

    In article <4d5efc6fb5ff05fbd00cbd142fcb193b@remailer.paranoic i.org>,
    Anonymous says...

    > > Does Ubuntu support Dual Core Intel chips?

    > Absolutely! Your dual core should be detected and the optimized "SMP"
    > kernel installed by default.

    Didn't with my AMD X2 4800 in Ubuntu or MEPIS.

    --
    Conor

    I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

  6. Re: Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista

    Barmy Bob. wrote:

    > In article <4d5efc6fb5ff05fbd00cbd142fcb193b@remailer.paranoic i.org>,
    > Anonymous says...
    >
    >> > Does Ubuntu support Dual Core Intel chips?

    >> Absolutely! Your dual core should be detected and the optimized "SMP"
    >> kernel installed by default.

    > Didn't with my AMD X2 4800 in Ubuntu or MEPIS.

    Yeah, but you have no idea what you are doing.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  7. Re: Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 00:36:15 +0100, Barmy Bob. wrote:

    > In article <4d5efc6fb5ff05fbd00cbd142fcb193b@remailer.paranoic i.org>,
    > Anonymous says...
    >
    >> > Does Ubuntu support Dual Core Intel chips?

    >> Absolutely! Your dual core should be detected and the optimized "SMP"
    >> kernel installed by default.

    > Didn't with my AMD X2 4800 in Ubuntu or MEPIS.

    What did you do? Works fine on my AMD X2 4800:

    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ uname -a
    Linux ubuntu 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP Sun Apr 15 06:17:24 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/issue
    Ubuntu 7.04 \n \l

    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 15
    model : 35
    model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 1000.000
    cache size : 1024 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 2
    core id : 0
    cpu cores : 2
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy
    bogomips : 2011.00
    TLB size : 1024 4K pages
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    power management: ts fid vid ttp

    processor : 1
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 15
    model : 35
    model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 1000.000
    cache size : 1024 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 2
    core id : 1
    cpu cores : 2
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy
    bogomips : 2011.00
    TLB size : 1024 4K pages
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    power management: ts fid vid ttp

    Bug

  8. Re: Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista

    In article , bugbuster
    says...
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 00:36:15 +0100, Barmy Bob. wrote:
    >
    > > In article <4d5efc6fb5ff05fbd00cbd142fcb193b@remailer.paranoic i.org>,
    > > Anonymous says...

    > >> Absolutely! Your dual core should be detected and the optimized "SMP"
    > >> kernel installed by default.

    > > Didn't with my AMD X2 4800 in Ubuntu or MEPIS.

    > What did you do? Works fine on my AMD X2 4800:

    Fresh install. I have no idea why it didn't. It's running the SMP
    kernel fine after a little tinkering with GRUB to set it as the
    default. The SMP kernel was listed but for some reason it wasn't placed
    as the default.

    Damned if I know why. The little time it took to resolve it doesn't
    make me feel like delving into why it happened.

    --
    Conor

    I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

  9. Re: Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista

    On Sep 13, 3:52 pm, Anonymous wrote:
    > rational.cognit...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I have an existing Dual Core Intel system I would like to set up with
    > > a dual boot option of Ubuntu.

    > > Does Ubuntu support Dual Core Intel chips?

    > Absolutely! Your dual core should be detected and the optimized "SMP"
    > kernel installed by default. There's also some post-install tweaks you
    > can do, like this .bashrc addition if you compile software from source
    > packages...
    >
    > export MAKEFLAGS="-j`ls -1 /sys/devices/system/cpu | wc -l`"
    >

    > > How easy is it to install Ubuntu for a dual boot scenario after M$

    > Trivially easy. The installer provides multiple options with brief,
    > but clear and concise explanations of what each one is, and there's
    > intuitive graphical tools to help you implement your decsions. There's
    > also an extensive local and on line help system available from within
    > the LiveCD environment if you'd like more detailed information.
    >
    > > Vista is already installed? Is this supported from the latest install
    > > version of Ubuntu (with a partitioning option and formatting available
    > > during the install), or would I need to partition and format prior to
    > > trying to install Ubuntu?

    > Best plan is to download the latest stable Desktop ISO. Thats 7.04
    > "Feisty Fawn" at the moment. The beta 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon" is also
    > available, and impressively stable for a beta if you like to live on
    > the bleeding edge. ;0)
    >
    > Burn the CD, reboot to that CD, and you're magically transported into a
    > full working (albeit slow because it's running from the CD) version of
    > Feisty. In the menus you'll find everything you need. The standard
    > partitioning tool is labeled "GNOME Partition Editor", in the "System >
    > Administration" menu on the LiveCD if memory serves. There's also
    > something along the lines of "Install Ubuntu" in there somewhere that
    > will take you to the install process proper and walk you though the
    > process of partitioning according to several basic strategies, or allow
    > you to customize at will.
    >
    > > I've installed and used Red Hat and Slackware in dual boot scenarios
    > > in the past with Windows (95, NT and XP), but this will be my first
    > > shot at Ubuntu with Vista. Just thought I would post here for any
    > > suggestions from others before I leap into the fray.

    > Things are advancing quickly, and Ubuntu is at the lead in this respect.
    > I have no doubt at all the process of setting up a dual boot will be
    > painless, and a real pleasant surprise for someone like you who has
    > done it the "hard way" in the past.

    Thank you for the excellent input/advice. That's why I enjoy these
    comp.os.* groups so much.

    I appreciate the information.

    Thanks again.

    - Scott

  10. Re: Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista

    Barmy Bob. wrote:

    > In article <4d5efc6fb5ff05fbd00cbd142fcb193b@remailer.paranoic i.org>,
    > Anonymous says...
    >
    > > > Does Ubuntu support Dual Core Intel chips?

    > > Absolutely! Your dual core should be detected and the optimized
    > > "SMP" kernel installed by default.

    > Didn't with my AMD X2 4800 in Ubuntu or MEPIS.

    You're lying, or you mucked something up via your own incompetence.

    I'd go with lying if I were you. It's less embarrassing that admitting
    you're so stump stupid you couldn't quite manage two of the easiest
    operating system installs on the face of the planet.

  11. Re: Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista

    Verily I say unto thee, that bugbuster spake thusly:
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 00:36:15 +0100, Barmy Bob. wrote:
    >
    >> In article <4d5efc6fb5ff05fbd00cbd142fcb193b@remailer.paranoic i.org>,
    >> Anonymous says...

    >>> Absolutely! Your dual core should be detected and the optimized "SMP"
    >>> kernel installed by default.

    >> Didn't with my AMD X2 4800 in Ubuntu or MEPIS.

    > What did you do? Works fine on my AMD X2 4800:

    Barmy flatty is a pathalogical liar. Just ignore it and it'll go away.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    18:43:16 up 36 days, 17:38, 0 users, load average: 0.03, 0.12, 0.20

  12. Re: Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:53:52 +0200, Cyberiade.it wrote:

    > Barfy Bob wrote:
    >
    >> Anonymous says...
    >> >
    >> > Absolutely! Your dual core should be detected and the optimized
    >> > "SMP" kernel installed by default.

    >> Didn't with my AMD X2 4800 in Ubuntu or MEPIS.

    > You're lying, or you mucked something up via your own incompetence.
    >
    > I'd go with lying if I were you. It's less embarrassing that admitting
    > you're so stump stupid you couldn't quite manage two of the easiest
    > operating system installs on the face of the planet.

    Conor (Barfy Bob) is a known idiot. I've tried various Linux distros on
    my year-old Core2 Duo, and all of them automatically ran the SMP kernel.

  13. Re: Ubuntu Dual Boot with M$ Vista

    Barmy Bob. wrote:

    > In article , bugbuster
    > says...
    > > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 00:36:15 +0100, Barmy Bob. wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article
    > > > <4d5efc6fb5ff05fbd00cbd142fcb193b@remailer.paranoic i.org>,
    > > > Anonymous says...

    > > > Didn't with my AMD X2 4800 in Ubuntu or MEPIS.

    > > What did you do? Works fine on my AMD X2 4800:
    > >

    > Fresh install. I have no idea why it didn't. It's running the SMP
    > kernel fine after a little tinkering with GRUB to set it as the
    > default. The SMP kernel was listed but for some reason it wasn't
    > placed as the default.

    You're a blatantly obvious liar.

    If the SMP kernel was installed it was set as default because Ubuntu
    doesn't install multiple kernels. It's next to impossible to get it to
    do so in fact without going to the alternate install CD and jumping
    through hoops. Hell, even before stable SMP support was the default you
    had to apt-get the extra kernel manually.

+ Reply to Thread