[News] "Soviet Microsoft" Portrays GNU/Linux as Communism? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] "Soviet Microsoft" Portrays GNU/Linux as Communism? - Linux ; What's all the FUD about? ,----[ Quote ] | My favorite, classic FUD comes from Steve Ballmer. "There's no company called | Linux, there's barely a Linux road map. Yet Linux sort of springs organically | from the earth. And ...

  1. [News] "Soviet Microsoft" Portrays GNU/Linux as Communism?

    What's all the FUD about?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My favorite, classic FUD comes from Steve Ballmer. "There's no company called
    | Linux, there's barely a Linux road map. Yet Linux sort of springs organically
    | from the earth. And it had, you know, the characteristics of communism that
    | people love so very, very much about it." Here, Ballmer went to the route of
    | the American psyche. How many Americans, to this day, still cringe a little
    | in fear at the voicing of "communism"? If there's anyway to turn Americans
    | off from buying a Linux PC, it's to emblazon the image of a big, red, Soviet
    | Flag on the face of Linux, to conjure up an image of FIdel Castro reciting
    | his communist propaganda from a speech he'd written on his openoffice,org
    | word processor, to strike fear into our hearts at the thought of a Wisconsin
    | Senator named Joe McCarthy barging into our houses in the middle of the night
    | to send us away to prison for life because we owned an Ubuntu PC. I can't say
    | if this FUD actually worked; it was so preposterous, and so few people give
    | any credence to what Ballmer says anymore, that people might have just
    | laughed at it. But it does show the depths to which proprietary software
    | makers will go to keep the Linux and open source software threat out of their
    | wallets.
    `----

    http://linuxhow2.com/Feature_Article...FUD_about.html

    Related:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The New Soviet Union.
    | Microsoft isn't evil for being Microsoft, but because its leadership
    | values control above delivering good products or advancing the state
    | of the art. Rather than competing in the market, Microsoft's
    | leadership has pursued a strategy of repeatedly deceiving the market.
    | The result has been decades of productivity losses that negatively
    | impact the rest of the world's economy and distract humanity away from
    | technical achievement to instead fiddle with shoddy software that is
    | weak because it was developed outside of competitive pressure....
    |
    | However, the iron fist of resistance to outside ideas was as
    | destructive to the USSR as the inbreeding of royalty was to Europe's
    | empire nations before it. Microsoft is facing the same failure by
    | arrogantly pushing old strategies and ignoring the potential of open
    | source. Microsoft's anti-open rhetoric even sounds a lot like the
    | Soviet's view of free markets, laced with fear-based propaganda that
    | promises dire consequences for experimenting with the open source
    | ideas that are already proven to work outside of the Red Square of
    | Redmond....
    `----

    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/1...wer/#more-1347

  2. Re: [News] "Soviet Microsoft" Portrays GNU/Linux as Communism?

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 01:41:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > What's all the FUD about?

    Why don't *you* tell us, Roy Schestowitz, seeing as you are behind a good
    portion of it.

+ Reply to Thread