Yoohoo! EU Commission! Are you watching? - Linux

This is a discussion on Yoohoo! EU Commission! Are you watching? - Linux ; PJ on latest Microsoft "philanthropy". Here's some repulsive news from Microsoft, in an article on Yahoo! News titled, "Microsoft pledges cash for IT in developing world" but which I would more accurately, I think, call, "Microsoft Finds New Way To ...

  1. Yoohoo! EU Commission! Are you watching?

    PJ on latest Microsoft "philanthropy".

    Here's some repulsive news from Microsoft, in an article on Yahoo!
    News titled, "Microsoft pledges cash for IT in developing world" but
    which I would more accurately, I think, call, "Microsoft Finds New Way
    To Be Anticompetitive":

    [In the announcement, MS will spend $235 million worldwide, but
    schools must use Windows...]

    "Microsoft is still working through some of the 'technical
    limitations' that remain in putting XP on the XO, the green PC from
    the One Laptop Per Child project, Ayala [MS spokesman] said."

    So, to compete with Microsoft, Linux needs to be able to spend 235
    million to buy a market? There are also some interesting details on
    deals being made in Russia, Mexico and Libya:

    [Details of Russia, Mexico and Libya deals...]

    Of course, they can't put that honking Vista on these laptops. So,
    it's XP forever, I guess, for the third world. Indeed the article says
    XP will be the supported platform on low-cost PCs such as the
    Classmate and Asus EEE, this despite the fact that Windows XP will
    stop being available to OEMs in June 2008 according to what I've seen
    announced. I hope those governments have figured out a plan on how
    they will upgrade someday. Hahahaha. Their only hope is if Microsoft
    can pick OLPC's brains fast and then figure out how to get a smaller
    footprint.

    [ Update: It's not just in the third world. A reader just sent me this
    link, about Microsoft offering Finland free Live.edu software for all
    Finnish schools, and the software enables "community features such as
    a discussion forum students can use to discuss with each other". Sort
    of like what XO meshing enables? More, if you can read Finnish.]

    So, bottom line? I read it as meaning that Microsoft would like to
    join Intel in killing off One Laptop Per Child's XO laptop, because it
    runs Linux on AMD, and because OLPC identified a new market in the
    third world, and monopolies are like the grave -- they never say,
    "Enough".

    Please remember this day, next time someone tells you how
    philanthropic Mr. Gates is. Monopolies these days not only crush
    competition, they're willing to crush a charity to make a buck. I
    would say any apparent cooperation with OLPC, therefore, is just for
    show, folks. Those "technical" difficulties won't be solved, I figure,
    until this new market is glutted with Microsoft on Intel Classmates
    and Asus EEE's, loaded with XP, that old-fashioned operating system,
    and none of their laptops can do for those children what the OLPC XO
    can do. P.S. Children don't need training to use an OLPC XO. It's
    designed to *not* need it. I hope OLPC patented everything before they
    show Microsoft a thing. For real. Otherwise, someday we'll be looking
    for prior art to overturn a Microsoft patent or two.

    Yoohoo, EU Commission! Are you watching these maneuvers?

  2. Re: Yoohoo! EU Commission! Are you watching?

    * nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > PJ on latest Microsoft "philanthropy".
    >
    > Here's some repulsive news from Microsoft, in an article on Yahoo!
    > News titled, "Microsoft pledges cash for IT in developing world" but
    > which I would more accurately, I think, call, "Microsoft Finds New Way
    > To Be Anticompetitive":
    >
    > [In the announcement, MS will spend $235 million worldwide, but
    > schools must use Windows...]
    >
    > [Details of Russia, Mexico and Libya deals...]
    >
    > [ Update: It's not just in the third world. A reader just sent me this
    > link, about Microsoft offering Finland free Live.edu software for all
    > Finnish schools, and the software enables "community features such as
    > a discussion forum students can use to discuss with each other". Sort
    > of like what XO meshing enables? More, if you can read Finnish.]
    >
    > Yoohoo, EU Commission! Are you watching these maneuvers?
    >

    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...80123114324664

    It's the next step in Microsoft's Project Reach-Around.

    --
    Since it is difficult to join them together, it is safer to be feared than to
    be loved when one of the two must be lacking.

  3. Re: Yoohoo! EU Commission! Are you watching?

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Wednesday 23 January 2008 23:30 : \____

> [...]
    >
    > Please remember this day, next time someone tells you how
    > philanthropic Mr. Gates is. Monopolies these days not only crush
    > competition, they're willing to crush a charity to make a buck. I
    > would say any apparent cooperation with OLPC, therefore, is just for
    > show, folks. Those "technical" difficulties won't be solved, I figure,
    > until this new market is glutted with Microsoft on Intel Classmates
    > and Asus EEE's, loaded with XP, that old-fashioned operating system,
    > and none of their laptops can do for those children what the OLPC XO
    > can do. P.S. Children don't need training to use an OLPC XO. It's
    > designed to *not* need it. I hope OLPC patented everything before they
    > show Microsoft a thing. For real. Otherwise, someday we'll be looking
    > for prior art to overturn a Microsoft patent or two.
    >
    > Yoohoo, EU Commission! Are you watching these maneuvers?

    Nothing new here really. I gave her some more examples. Microsoft even tries to
    derail Linux in Kerala.

    Gates' charity is just a proxy bank account for Microsoft. It does a few good
    things, too.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "I don’t understand how IE is going to win. The current path is simply to copy
    everything that Netscape does packaging and product wise."

    --Jim Allchin, Microsoft

+ Reply to Thread