Re: The bogus argument: "My time isn't free" - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: The bogus argument: "My time isn't free" - Linux ; On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:32:15 -0400, amicus_curious enriched the world with this: > "Richard Rasker" wrote in message [big snip] >> So? People pay me to install Linux. And if they ask me whether they >> should buy a ...

  1. Re: The bogus argument: "My time isn't free"

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:32:15 -0400, amicus_curious enriched the world with
    this:

    > "Richard Rasker" wrote in message

    [big snip]

    >> So? People pay me to install Linux. And if they ask me whether they
    >> should buy a new computer, I give an honest answer, based on what they
    >> want from their computer. Most of the time, the answer is "no".
    >> Although I usually advise to get a bit more RAM (older Windows XP
    >> machines often have a mere 64 or 128MB), and perhaps a spiffier
    >> graphics card.
    >>

    > We have already established where your self-interest lies. "Pay me now
    > or pay me later" is a popular sales tactic. How much do you charge for
    > this service?

    I charge $20 for an installation + configuration, when people bring their
    stuff over here.

    > What is your profit on the RAM chips and graphics adapter?

    Zero, because I only tell people what they should buy, and (sometimes)
    where to buy it. Neither do I charge for the minute or two it takes to
    install the hardware.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  2. Re: The bogus argument: "My time isn't free"

    On Sep 13, 8:04 am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:32:15 -0400, amicus_curious enriched the world with
    > this:
    >
    > > "Richard Rasker" wrote in message

    > [big snip]
    >
    > >> So? People pay me to install Linux. And if they ask me whether they
    > >> should buy a new computer, I give an honest answer, based on what they
    > >> want from their computer. Most of the time, the answer is "no".
    > >> Although I usually advise to get a bit more RAM (older Windows XP
    > >> machines often have a mere 64 or 128MB), and perhaps a spiffier
    > >> graphics card.

    > > We have already established where your self-interest lies. "Pay me now
    > > or pay me later" is a popular sales tactic. How much do you charge for
    > > this service?

    > I charge $20 for an installation + configuration, when people bring their
    > stuff over here.
    >
    > > What is your profit on the RAM chips and graphics adapter?

    > Zero, because I only tell people what they should buy, and (sometimes)
    > where to buy it. Neither do I charge for the minute or two it takes to
    > install the hardware.
    >
    > Richard Rasker
    > --http://www.linetec.nl/

+ Reply to Thread