Federal Employment Office switches to Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Federal Employment Office switches to Linux - Linux ; http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218 Well, just 13.000 computers, our resident astroturfer Hadron Quark will claim. Certainly nothing worth mentioning, right, Hadron? -- A NT server can be run by idiots and usually is...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 93

  1. Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    --
    A NT server can be run by idiots and usually is

  2. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218
    >
    > Well, just 13.000 computers, our resident astroturfer Hadron Quark will
    > claim. Certainly nothing worth mentioning, right, Hadron?

    More telling:

    The BA explained that the migration was necessary because, "The
    previous combination of Windows NT and Internet Explorer could no
    longer keep pace with technological developments in how current media
    content is displayed and was not up to the demands of modern
    hardware." In making the switch, the decision for Linux was based on
    cost and security considerations.

    --
    If God had intended Man to Watch TV, He would have given him Rabbit Ears.

  3. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218
    >>
    >> Well, just 13.000 computers, our resident astroturfer Hadron Quark will
    >> claim. Certainly nothing worth mentioning, right, Hadron?

    > More telling:
    >
    > The BA explained that the migration was necessary because, "The
    > previous combination of Windows NT and Internet Explorer could no
    > longer keep pace with technological developments in how current media
    > content is displayed and was not up to the demands of modern
    > hardware." In making the switch, the decision for Linux was based on
    > cost and security considerations.

    And this little tidbit:

    /quote
    On the one hand, implementing Linux carried no licencing costs, on the other
    hand migrating the clients enabled standardised automation and maintenance
    procedures, since the BA servers also run Linux. Another plus are the
    flexible configuration possibilities with Linux.
    /unquote

    Now Hadron Quark will bully his way in again, screaming that we aren't
    talking servers.
    No, we aren't. This time. They use linux servers. *And* they use linux
    desktops. 13.000 of them

    Certainly no "company" Hadron Quark has ever seen would implement something
    like that. Not in germany, not nowhere else. Certainly not Munich or
    Schwäbisch Hall. Or the german police. Or the german "Bundestag". Or the
    german armed forces. It is just a hoax, and we should all prepare the
    tinfoil

    If that lying cretin could just see how ridiculous his claims are, and how
    they contradict everything he is astroturfing for (MS, naturally)
    --
    If you're right 90% of the time, why quibble about the remaining 3%?

  4. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Tuesday 22 January 2008 22:29 : \____

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218
    >>>
    >>> Well, just 13.000 computers, our resident astroturfer Hadron Quark will
    >>> claim. Certainly nothing worth mentioning, right, Hadron?

    >> More telling:
    >>
    >> The BA explained that the migration was necessary because, "The
    >> previous combination of Windows NT and Internet Explorer could no
    >> longer keep pace with technological developments in how current media
    >> content is displayed and was not up to the demands of modern
    >> hardware." In making the switch, the decision for Linux was based on
    >> cost and security considerations.
    >>

    > And this little tidbit:
    >
    > /quote
    > On the one hand, implementing Linux carried no licencing costs, on the other
    > hand migrating the clients enabled standardised automation and maintenance
    > procedures, since the BA servers also run Linux. Another plus are the
    > flexible configuration possibilities with Linux.
    > /unquote
    >
    > Now Hadron Quark will bully his way in again, screaming that we aren't
    > talking servers.
    > No, we aren't. This time. They use linux servers. *And* they use linux
    > desktops. 13.000 of them
    >
    > Certainly no "company" Hadron Quark has ever seen would implement something
    > like that. Not in germany, not nowhere else. Certainly not Munich or
    > Schwäbisch Hall. Or the german police. Or the german "Bundestag". Or the
    > german armed forces. It is just a hoax, and we should all prepare the
    > tinfoil
    >
    > If that lying cretin could just see how ridiculous his claims are, and how
    > they contradict everything he is astroturfing for (MS, naturally)

    I saw this earlier and it's good news indeed. Don't let the trolls use the Big
    Lie and take this reality away because no single company is there to /boast/
    the migration and push it to the press (it's OpenSUSE 10.1 as I understand it,
    not SLED).

    Nortel might move all staff to Linux as well. That was reported just yesterday.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
    Swap: 1510068k total, 334764k used, 1175304k free, 65252k cached

  5. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:15:41 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218
    >
    > Well, just 13.000 computers, our resident astroturfer Hadron Quark will
    > claim. Certainly nothing worth mentioning, right, Hadron?

    Is this migration going to take 13 years like the Munich Windows to Linux
    migration is taking?

  6. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 01:15:18 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Tuesday 22 January 2008 22:29 : \____
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> More telling:
    >>>
    >>> The BA explained that the migration was necessary because, "The
    >>> previous combination of Windows NT and Internet Explorer could no
    >>> longer keep pace with technological developments in how current media
    >>> content is displayed and was not up to the demands of modern
    >>> hardware." In making the switch, the decision for Linux was based on
    >>> cost and security considerations.
    >>>

    >> And this little tidbit:
    >>
    >> /quote
    >> On the one hand, implementing Linux carried no licencing costs, on the other
    >> hand migrating the clients enabled standardised automation and maintenance
    >> procedures, since the BA servers also run Linux. Another plus are the
    >> flexible configuration possibilities with Linux.
    >> /unquote
    >>
    >> Now Hadron Quark will bully his way in again, screaming that we aren't
    >> talking servers.
    >> No, we aren't. This time. They use linux servers. *And* they use linux
    >> desktops. 13.000 of them
    >>
    >> Certainly no "company" Hadron Quark has ever seen would implement something
    >> like that. Not in germany, not nowhere else. Certainly not Munich or
    >> Schwäbisch Hall. Or the german police. Or the german "Bundestag". Or the
    >> german armed forces. It is just a hoax, and we should all prepare the
    >> tinfoil
    >>
    >> If that lying cretin could just see how ridiculous his claims are, and how
    >> they contradict everything he is astroturfing for (MS, naturally)

    > I saw this earlier and it's good news indeed.

    Why do you feel the need to one up posters all the time Roy?
    You do it on digg, propeller and here in COLA and it's quite irritating as
    well as crass and in poor taste.

  7. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Tuesday 22 January 2008 22:29 : \____
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> More telling:
    >>>
    >>> The BA explained that the migration was necessary because, "The
    >>> previous combination of Windows NT and Internet Explorer could no
    >>> longer keep pace with technological developments in how current media
    >>> content is displayed and was not up to the demands of modern
    >>> hardware." In making the switch, the decision for Linux was based on
    >>> cost and security considerations.
    >>>

    >> And this little tidbit:
    >>
    >> /quote
    >> On the one hand, implementing Linux carried no licencing costs, on the
    >> other
    >> hand migrating the clients enabled standardised automation and
    >> maintenance
    >> procedures, since the BA servers also run Linux. Another plus are the
    >> flexible configuration possibilities with Linux.
    >> /unquote
    >>
    >> Now Hadron Quark will bully his way in again, screaming that we aren't
    >> talking servers.
    >> No, we aren't. This time. They use linux servers. *And* they use linux
    >> desktops. 13.000 of them
    >>
    >> Certainly no "company" Hadron Quark has ever seen would implement
    >> something
    >> like that. Not in germany, not nowhere else. Certainly not Munich or
    >> Schwäbisch Hall. Or the german police. Or the german "Bundestag". Or the
    >> german armed forces. It is just a hoax, and we should all prepare the
    >> tinfoil
    >>
    >> If that lying cretin could just see how ridiculous his claims are, and
    >> how
    >> they contradict everything he is astroturfing for (MS, naturally)

    > I saw this earlier and it's good news indeed. Don't let the trolls use the
    > Big
    > Lie and take this reality away because no single company is there to
    > /boast/
    > the migration and push it to the press (it's OpenSUSE 10.1 as I understand
    > it,
    > not SLED).

    Is OPENSuse (possibly poisoned) under the same Microsoft licensing agreement
    that Microsoft reached with Novell concerning SUSE?

    jim

  8. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:15:41 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218
    >>
    >> Well, just 13.000 computers, our resident astroturfer Hadron Quark will
    >> claim. Certainly nothing worth mentioning, right, Hadron?

    > Is this migration going to take 13 years like the Munich Windows to Linux
    > migration is taking?

    What about "Shortly after switching all of its 13,000 public internet
    information workstations from Windows NT to Linux, the Federal Employment
    Office (BA) issued an interim report" was too difficult for you, flatfish?

    That pesky difficult to understand "after" perhaps?

    Gods, you are really a pathetic idiot
    --
    The Day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably
    the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

  9. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:05:26 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > What about "Shortly after switching all of its 13,000 public internet

    I see no mention of a time line.
    To some people, 13 years is a short time.
    Munich in particular.

  10. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:05:26 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >

    >> What about "Shortly after switching all of its 13,000 public internet
    >>

    > I see no mention of a time line.
    > To some people, 13 years is a short time.
    > Munich in particular.

    Flatfish, you are truly pathetic stupid

    They have *already* switched, you moron

    You share that extremely poor reading comprehension with Hadron Quark, the
    only other existing "true linux advocate" besides you

    Seems being extremely stupid and dishonest is a trait among you twits
    --
    Any idiot can run XP. And usually does.

  11. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    ____/ jim on Wednesday 23 January 2008 04:29 : \____

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Tuesday 22 January 2008 22:29 : \____

    >>> And this little tidbit:
    >>>
    >>> /quote
    >>> On the one hand, implementing Linux carried no licencing costs, on the
    >>> other
    >>> hand migrating the clients enabled standardised automation and
    >>> maintenance
    >>> procedures, since the BA servers also run Linux. Another plus are the
    >>> flexible configuration possibilities with Linux.
    >>> /unquote
    >>>
    >>> Now Hadron Quark will bully his way in again, screaming that we aren't
    >>> talking servers.
    >>> No, we aren't. This time. They use linux servers. *And* they use linux
    >>> desktops. 13.000 of them
    >>>
    >>> Certainly no "company" Hadron Quark has ever seen would implement
    >>> something
    >>> like that. Not in germany, not nowhere else. Certainly not Munich or
    >>> Schwäbisch Hall. Or the german police. Or the german "Bundestag". Or the
    >>> german armed forces. It is just a hoax, and we should all prepare the
    >>> tinfoil
    >>>
    >>> If that lying cretin could just see how ridiculous his claims are, and
    >>> how
    >>> they contradict everything he is astroturfing for (MS, naturally)

    >> I saw this earlier and it's good news indeed. Don't let the trolls use the
    >> Big
    >> Lie and take this reality away because no single company is there to
    >> /boast/
    >> the migration and push it to the press (it's OpenSUSE 10.1 as I understand
    >> it,
    >> not SLED).

    > Is OPENSuse (possibly poisoned) under the same Microsoft licensing agreement
    > that Microsoft reached with Novell concerning SUSE?

    There is a more accurate assessment of this in Groklaw (search for "pledge to
    opensuse developers"), but the impression that I get is that Microsoft puts of
    them sheep in the same pen. OpenSUSE is merely helping Novell build SLES and
    SLED, which are just Microsoft cash cows.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K

  12. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ jim on Wednesday 23 January 2008 04:29 : \____

    < snip >

    >> Is OPENSuse (possibly poisoned) under the same Microsoft licensing
    >> agreement that Microsoft reached with Novell concerning SUSE?

    > There is a more accurate assessment of this in Groklaw (search for "pledge
    > to opensuse developers"), but the impression that I get is that Microsoft
    > puts of them sheep in the same pen. OpenSUSE is merely helping Novell
    > build SLES and SLED, which are just Microsoft cash cows.

    Roy, they are *not* MS cash cows.
    Novell has a net profit from that agreement with MS

    You might disagree with their stance, but fact is that companies thinking of
    using linux tend to think rather different about that matter. They prefer
    dealing with Novell precisely because they interoperate with MS
    --
    If you're right 90% of the time, why quibble about the remaining 3%?

  13. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 23 January 2008 08:31 : \____

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:05:26 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >>

    >>> What about "Shortly after switching all of its 13,000 public internet
    >>>

    >> I see no mention of a time line.
    >> To some people, 13 years is a short time.
    >> Munich in particular.

    > Flatfish, you are truly pathetic stupid
    >
    > They have *already* switched, you moron
    >
    > You share that extremely poor reading comprehension with Hadron Quark, the
    > only other existing "true linux advocate" besides you
    >
    > Seems being extremely stupid and dishonest is a trait among you twits

    He'll just say it again and again hoping that someone will start to believe the
    lies. That's why I never see his posts here and elsewhere (where blocklists
    are available).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "These characters were randomly picked"
    09:00:02 up 4 days, 18:40, 3 users, load average: 1.44, 1.36, 1.60

  14. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 23 January 2008 08:57 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ jim on Wednesday 23 January 2008 04:29 : \____
    >>

    > < snip >
    >
    >>> Is OPENSuse (possibly poisoned) under the same Microsoft licensing
    >>> agreement that Microsoft reached with Novell concerning SUSE?

    >> There is a more accurate assessment of this in Groklaw (search for "pledge
    >> to opensuse developers"), but the impression that I get is that Microsoft
    >> puts of them sheep in the same pen. OpenSUSE is merely helping Novell
    >> build SLES and SLED, which are just Microsoft cash cows.
    >>

    > Roy, they are *not* MS cash cows.
    > Novell has a net profit from that agreement with MS
    >
    > You might disagree with their stance, but fact is that companies thinking of
    > using linux tend to think rather different about that matter. They prefer
    > dealing with Novell precisely because they interoperate with MS

    Okay, I won't argue with you on this subject, but I *do* hope that you are
    aware of the fact that for each sale of SLED and SLES Microsoft *does* get
    paid. The deal with Novell made it explicit that the payment is for software
    patents, which are illegal in Germany.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
    Cpu(s): 24.3%us, 3.9%sy, 1.0%ni, 66.9%id, 3.4%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.2%si, 0.0%st

  15. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 23 January 2008 08:57 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ____/ jim on Wednesday 23 January 2008 04:29 : \____
    >>>

    >> < snip >

    >>> There is a more accurate assessment of this in Groklaw (search for
    >>> "pledge to opensuse developers"), but the impression that I get is that
    >>> Microsoft puts of them sheep in the same pen. OpenSUSE is merely helping
    >>> Novell build SLES and SLED, which are just Microsoft cash cows.
    >>>

    >> Roy, they are *not* MS cash cows.
    >> Novell has a net profit from that agreement with MS
    >>
    >> You might disagree with their stance, but fact is that companies thinking
    >> of using linux tend to think rather different about that matter. They
    >> prefer dealing with Novell precisely because they interoperate with MS

    > Okay, I won't argue with you on this subject, but I *do* hope that you are
    > aware of the fact that for each sale of SLED and SLES Microsoft *does*
    > get paid. The deal with Novell made it explicit that the payment is for
    > software patents, which are illegal in Germany.

    Well, when will you start to be correct about that Novell/MS deal?

    Because that dribble above certainly is *not*
    --
    Tact, n.:
    The unsaid part of what you're thinking.

  16. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ jim on Wednesday 23 January 2008 04:29 : \____
    >>

    > < snip >
    >
    >>> Is OPENSuse (possibly poisoned) under the same Microsoft licensing
    >>> agreement that Microsoft reached with Novell concerning SUSE?

    >> There is a more accurate assessment of this in Groklaw (search for "pledge
    >> to opensuse developers"), but the impression that I get is that Microsoft
    >> puts of them sheep in the same pen. OpenSUSE is merely helping Novell
    >> build SLES and SLED, which are just Microsoft cash cows.
    >>

    > Roy, they are *not* MS cash cows.
    > Novell has a net profit from that agreement with MS
    >
    > You might disagree with their stance, but fact is that companies thinking of
    > using linux tend to think rather different about that matter. They prefer
    > dealing with Novell precisely because they interoperate with MS

    Peter Köhlmann you little running bitch, you can run you little bitch
    with your lip services, but you can't hide.

    Back your **** up boy --- back your **** up with some kind of documented
    proof. You don't have your finger on the pulse of IT in no way, shape or
    form do you have it.

    You are an expert's expert on a whole lot of things ain't you boy with
    that Superman cape with the big *L* on the cape on your back and the
    *L* on your chest in your mind, boy.

    You are so totally ****ed-up. You are Peter Köhlmann, a travesty.

  17. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    Cross Posting HO wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ____/ jim on Wednesday 23 January 2008 04:29 : \____
    >>>

    >> < snip >

    >>> There is a more accurate assessment of this in Groklaw (search for
    >>> "pledge to opensuse developers"), but the impression that I get is that
    >>> Microsoft puts of them sheep in the same pen. OpenSUSE is merely helping
    >>> Novell build SLES and SLED, which are just Microsoft cash cows.
    >>>

    >> Roy, they are *not* MS cash cows.
    >> Novell has a net profit from that agreement with MS
    >>
    >> You might disagree with their stance, but fact is that companies thinking
    >> of using linux tend to think rather different about that matter. They
    >> prefer dealing with Novell precisely because they interoperate with MS

    > Peter Köhlmann you little running bitch, you can run you little bitch
    > with your lip services, but you can't hide.
    >
    > Back your **** up boy --- back your **** up with some kind of documented
    > proof. You don't have your finger on the pulse of IT in no way, shape or
    > form do you have it.
    >
    > You are an expert's expert on a whole lot of things ain't you boy with
    > that Superman cape with the big *L* on the cape on your back and the
    > *L* on your chest in your mind, boy.
    >

    > You are so totally ****ed-up. You are Peter Köhlmann, a travesty.

    Idiot
    --
    It's sweet to be remembered, but it's often cheaper to be forgotten.

  18. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 23 January 2008 09:38 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 23 January 2008 08:57 : \____

    >>> < snip >

    >>> Roy, they are *not* MS cash cows.
    >>> Novell has a net profit from that agreement with MS
    >>>
    >>> You might disagree with their stance, but fact is that companies thinking
    >>> of using linux tend to think rather different about that matter. They
    >>> prefer dealing with Novell precisely because they interoperate with MS

    >> Okay, I won't argue with you on this subject, but I *do* hope that you are
    >> aware of the fact that for each sale of SLED and SLES Microsoft *does*
    >> get paid. The deal with Novell made it explicit that the payment is for
    >> software patents, which are illegal in Germany.
    >>

    > Well, when will you start to be correct about that Novell/MS deal?
    >
    > Because that dribble above certainly is *not*

    Well, then I'm glad I raised it because it is true. Which part of it do you
    believe to be incorrect?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
    11:20:04 up 4 days, 21:00, 3 users, load average: 1.90, 2.35, 2.44

  19. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 23 January 2008 09:38 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 23 January 2008 08:57 : \____

    >>> Okay, I won't argue with you on this subject, but I *do* hope that you
    >>> are
    >>> aware of the fact that for each sale of SLED and SLES Microsoft *does*
    >>> get paid. The deal with Novell made it explicit that the payment is for
    >>> software patents, which are illegal in Germany.
    >>>

    >> Well, when will you start to be correct about that Novell/MS deal?
    >>
    >> Because that dribble above certainly is *not*

    > Well, then I'm glad I raised it because it is true. Which part of it do
    > you believe to be incorrect?

    Which part do you believe to be correct? So far the only factual statement
    was that "software patents are illegal in Germany"

    The rest is bull****
    --
    Your conscience never stops you from doing anything. It just stops you
    from enjoying it.

  20. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Roy, they are *not* MS cash cows.
    > Novell has a net profit from that agreement with MS
    >
    > You might disagree with their stance, but fact is that companies thinking of
    > using linux tend to think rather different about that matter. They prefer
    > dealing with Novell precisely because they interoperate with MS

    One can always feel secure dealing with a local company that you know is
    backed by the local Don. You know He gets His cut, and nobody gets
    Hurt.

    --
    Default, n.:
    The hardware's, of course.