Federal Employment Office switches to Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Federal Employment Office switches to Linux - Linux ; On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:14:51 -0700, Snit wrote: > "Rick" stated in post > 13pmmjti25g3238@news.supernews.com on 1/26/08 9:06 AM: > >>> Arbitrary file extensions, other than the fp7 which is a FileMaker Pro >>> file. The others are actually ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 93 of 93

  1. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:14:51 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13pmmjti25g3238@news.supernews.com on 1/26/08 9:06 AM:
    >
    >>> Arbitrary file extensions, other than the fp7 which is a FileMaker Pro
    >>> file. The others are actually the same file renamed.

    >> Are you saying that all the files are the same file, but with different
    >> file extensions?

    > Clearly. Why do you have to ask what you were just told?

    I wanted to be sure.

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    "Rick" stated in post 13pmpjqkjc5pf1a@news.supernews.com
    on 1/26/08 9:57 AM:

    >>> Are you saying that all the files are the same file, but with different
    >>> file extensions?

    >> Clearly. Why do you have to ask what you were just told?

    > I wanted to be sure.

    My original comments were not enough for you to be sure?

    --
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
    conscientious stupidity. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

  3. Re: Snit and file extensions

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:08:41 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13pmpjqkjc5pf1a@news.supernews.com on 1/26/08 9:57 AM:

    >>> Clearly. Why do you have to ask what you were just told?

    >> I wanted to be sure.

    > My original comments were not enough for you to be sure?

    No.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: Snit and file extensions

    "Rick" stated in post 13pmr44i2l6n594@news.supernews.com
    on 1/26/08 10:23 AM:

    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:08:41 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> 13pmpjqkjc5pf1a@news.supernews.com on 1/26/08 9:57 AM:

    >>> I wanted to be sure.

    >> My original comments were not enough for you to be sure?

    > No.

    Thanks for the admission.

    --
    If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law.
    Roy Santoro, Psycho Proverb Zone (http://snipurl.com/BurdenOfProof)

  5. Re: Snit and file extensions

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:32:41 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13pmr44i2l6n594@news.supernews.com on 1/26/08 10:23 AM:
    >
    >> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:08:41 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 13pmpjqkjc5pf1a@news.supernews.com on 1/26/08 9:57 AM:

    >>> My original comments were not enough for you to be sure?

    >> No.

    > Thanks for the admission.

    What "admission"? I merely agreed your original comments were not enough
    for you to be sure. I wanted to be sure. What is there to admit to?

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: Snit and file extensions

    "Rick" stated in post 13pms95gin5fqd6@news.supernews.com
    on 1/26/08 10:43 AM:

    >>> No.

    >> Thanks for the admission.

    > What "admission"?

    Yours!

    --
    God made me an atheist - who are you to question his authority?

  7. Re: Snit and file extensions

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:51:41 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13pms95gin5fqd6@news.supernews.com on 1/26/08 10:43 AM:

    >>> Thanks for the admission.

    >> What "admission"?

    > Yours!

    What "admission"?

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: Snit and file extensions

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:51:41 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13pms95gin5fqd6@news.supernews.com on 1/26/08 10:43 AM:

    >>> Thanks for the admission.

    >> What "admission"?

    > Yours!

    Oops, I forgot to replace you dishonest snippage:

    What "admission"? I merely agreed your original comments were not enough
    for you to be sure. I wanted to be sure. What is there to admit to?

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Snit and file extensions

    "Rick" stated in post 13pmt4e8588u3a1@news.supernews.com
    on 1/26/08 10:57 AM:

    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:51:41 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> 13pms95gin5fqd6@news.supernews.com on 1/26/08 10:43 AM:

    >>> What "admission"?

    >> Yours!

    > What "admission"?

    Yours!

    --
    When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how
    to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not

  10. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:55:32 -0600, thad05 wrote:

    > Kier wrote:
    >> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:14:46 -0600, thad05 wrote:
    >>
    >>> thad@pavlov:~/Music/Tool/Undertow$ file Undertow.mp3
    >>> Undertow.mp3: Audio file with ID3 version 22.0 tag, MP3 encoding

    >> Like your taste in music, Thad :-) Tool is one of my favourite bands.

    > Yes, I really like Tool, not just for their Music but also the
    > great stop motion work by Adam Jones. My tastes are actually rather
    > diverse and at times eclectic, Ranging from classic blues to fringe
    > techno and even the occasional obscure Internet phenomenon like
    > Lemon Demon. I've a steamer trunk full of CDs that I've ripped
    > down to MP3s on house jukebox.

    I like classical, as well as industrial and other types of seriously heavy
    metal, but I also enjoy Brit-Pop type bands, R.E.M, Pearl Jam, Rush, ELP
    and some other old stuff. I'm not much interested in today's chart music,
    it, to coin a word, sucks.

    > The jukebox is actually a casemod of sorts. It is floor standing, about
    > the size and shape of classic Wurlitzer jukebox but formed of glossy
    > black fiberglass and epoxy resin... sort of H.R. Giger meets Wurlitzer.
    > It has a touchscreen interface with a custom app for flipping through
    > and selecting music. It runs on Linux of course.

    Sounds extremely cool. I just rip stuff and play it through a mini-hifi.
    My hearing ain't what it used to be :-)

    > I think I'm going to make my next casemod / mp3 player look like an
    > antique radio.

    Wish I had the skill and patience for that kind of thing.

    --
    Kier

  11. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218
    >
    > Well, just 13.000 computers, our resident astroturfer Hadron
    > Quark will claim. Certainly nothing worth mentioning, right,
    > Hadron?

    You have high hopes for Tokyo Rose advocate and anti-matter Robin
    Hood Hadron, friend of trolls, basher of advocates, don't you. :-)

    13,000 PC's is a considerable win when a government office gives
    up the ghost on Microsoft, isn't it? The thing is that because
    it is an office of public trust, chances are it will take a while
    before they consider going back.

    The alternatives, Linux, BSD Unix, variants, Apple are winning
    little by little here and there. This is another small win for
    Linux, which adds up to the big picture.

    Linux is here to stay, no doubt.

    Several days ago I got VLC media player up and running in Ubuntu
    on my venerable Dell C600 laptop. It has an 850 MHz Intel mobile
    processor and 512 MB 100 MHz FSB RAM. I purchased "Open Season",
    an amusing Columbia Pictures/Sony Animations DVD, full screen
    version.

    It looked great on the 14.1" laptop screen, played smoothly,
    fantastic.

    It was great, very humorous, very entertaining. The animals
    declaring open season on the hunters as revenge is a reminder of
    advocates fighting back against the astroturfing proprietary paid
    posters in this forum.

    I could imagine which advocates would represent the different
    cartoon characters in the movie. However playing the devil's
    advocate, what Wintroll would represent Shaw? And the rabbits?

    --
    HPT

  12. Re: Snit and file extensions

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 11:00:09 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 13pmt4e8588u3a1@news.supernews.com on 1/26/08 10:57 AM:
    >
    >> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:51:41 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 13pms95gin5fqd6@news.supernews.com on 1/26/08 10:43 AM:

    >>> Yours!

    >> What "admission"?

    > Yours!

    What "admission"?
    I can do this as long as you can.

    --
    Rick

  13. Re: Snit and file extensions

    "Rick" stated in post 13pn2md2f7gg9fb@news.supernews.com
    on 1/26/08 12:32 PM:

    >>> What "admission"?

    >> Yours!

    > What "admission"?
    > I can do this as long as you can.

    Longer... you simply can run away from facts longer than I can point them
    out.

    In any case, I sincerely appreciate your admission that when reading this
    text:

    Arbitrary file extensions, other than the fp7 which is a
    FileMaker Pro file. The others are actually the same file
    renamed.

    You could not understand it well enough to tell if the other files were "the