Federal Employment Office switches to Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Federal Employment Office switches to Linux - Linux ; "William Poaster" wrote news:hadm65-9s8.ln1@leafnode.archimedes.eu... > thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote: > >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote: >>> >>> So who is paying you Roy Schestowitz, to post all of this libelous, >>> without proof, stuff concerning Novell, Microsoft and so forth? >>> It's obvious ...

  1. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    "William Poaster" wrote
    > thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>>
    >>> So who is paying you Roy Schestowitz, to post all of this libelous,
    >>> without proof, stuff concerning Novell, Microsoft and so forth?
    >>> It's obvious you have some sponsorship in this mission to discredit.

    >> OK, I admit it, its me... I am paying Roy to post in COLA.

    > No, *I'm* paying Roy to post in COLA!
    >
    > Anyone else?

    It's 7 who's paying Roy to go on spamming! and M$ is paying me for every
    troll poast to cola, even the ones I'm not responsible for!

  2. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    "chrisv" writes:

    > "William Poaster" wrote
    >> thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    >>> OK, I admit it, its me... I am paying Roy to post in COLA.

    >> No, *I'm* paying Roy to post in COLA!
    >>
    >> Anyone else?

    > It's 7 who's paying Roy to go on spamming! and M$ is paying me for
    > every troll poast to cola, even the ones I'm not responsible for!

  3. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >It's 7 who's paying Roy to go on

    Ignore the forger.

  4. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    Snit wrote:
    [ gratuitious deletia ...]

    >> Of course I am paying him in bogo-dollars, which due to their open source
    >> nature can be legally replicated and copied as often as one likes, which makes
    >> it difficult to define an exchange rate with other currencies.

    > Hmmm, interesting idea...

    Actually, considering the way the US dollar is dropping, I'm thinking
    it is not much different than a bogo-dollar. :-/

    > I have been trying to get people to talk about Linux's ease of use features,
    > especially Ubuntu's. I have not had much successes... seems people do not
    > really want to talk about Linux.

    What the heck, I'll give it go.

    First off, I like how Ubuntu organizes its menus, particularly the
    organization of Applications into functional groups and the placement
    of Add/Remove prominently in the list to make customization easier.
    The arrangement of applications in the software repositories follows
    the same model, so apps end up where you expect in the menu when you
    install. I find this much more intuitive than the way Windows does
    it.

    Ubuntu comes with commonly used apps preinstalled, and puts icons for
    the most widely used (Email, Firefox, and OpenOffice) up in the top
    panel for easy launching.

    If you click on content that you don't have a codec or app for,
    Ubuntu will prompt if you would like to download and install the
    appropriate software. This was a very nice enhancement that 7.10
    brought to the table.

    Administrative tasks are nicely arranged in the System menu. The
    GUI tools for admin tasks work very well, are more intuitive than
    earlier generations, and preserve correct use of the text
    configuration files so remote admin over SSH is still possible.
    I'm a command line hack from way back, but I've forced myself to use
    just the GUI tools to better evaluate the current state of desktop
    Linux, and I've yet to find any common admin task I cannot do with
    an intuitive clicky app.

    Since I know you are a Mac fan, and I use a Mac also, I'll try to
    make some comparisons.

    Generally, I like the default OSX interface, particularly the
    Doc for launching apps. When I want to find an app that is not
    already in the doc, however, it seems a bit less intuitive than
    the Ubuntu Applications menu. Also, I've never been completely
    comfortable with the default Mac behavior of always placing the
    current in-focus application's menu at the top of the desktop
    rather than on the app's main window. This can cause brief
    confusion if I've accidently clicked on the desktop, causing
    the finder menu to be active instead of my app. Of course I
    realize that someone used to the Mac way of doing things
    probably finds the other model equally annoying.

    Of course what the Mac really has going for it is a great suite
    of consumer applications with consistent UI design and cross app
    integration. Apple did the right thing early on when they
    published style guides for their app writers. Ubuntu has done a
    great job collecting together and enhancing a good set of well
    integrated apps. If you stick with apps flagged as 'works well
    with Ubuntu' in the repositories, you will also have pretty
    consistent experience. Of course the repositories are also full
    of a lot of other cool software that is not so consistent. That
    is where Linux starts to receive its 'rough around the edges'
    reputation.

    In summary, I like both OSX and Linux, but I definitely prefer
    Linux. I don't hesitate to recommend a Mac to someone if they
    are looking to do some major multi-media content creation and
    need professional grade tools, but I always recommend people
    give Ubuntu a try if they just need a rock solid Internet
    surfing station or just need to do a bit of word processing.
    It particularly makes sense if they already have an older
    Windows box sitting around that they can re-task.

    Cheers,

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  5. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:38:52 -0600, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    > Snit wrote:
    > [ gratuitious deletia ...]
    >>
    >>> Of course I am paying him in bogo-dollars, which due to their open source
    >>> nature can be legally replicated and copied as often as one likes, which makes
    >>> it difficult to define an exchange rate with other currencies.

    >> Hmmm, interesting idea...

    > Actually, considering the way the US dollar is dropping, I'm thinking
    > it is not much different than a bogo-dollar. :-/

    Not too far fetched a concept.

    >> I have been trying to get people to talk about Linux's ease of use features,
    >> especially Ubuntu's. I have not had much successes... seems people do not
    >> really want to talk about Linux.

    > What the heck, I'll give it go.
    >
    > First off, I like how Ubuntu organizes its menus, particularly the
    > organization of Applications into functional groups and the placement
    > of Add/Remove prominently in the list to make customization easier.
    > The arrangement of applications in the software repositories follows
    > the same model, so apps end up where you expect in the menu when you
    > install. I find this much more intuitive than the way Windows does
    > it.

    I agree with this.
    Much better than Suse which has things scattered all over the place.

    > Ubuntu comes with commonly used apps preinstalled, and puts icons for
    > the most widely used (Email, Firefox, and OpenOffice) up in the top
    > panel for easy launching.

    Agree again.

    > If you click on content that you don't have a codec or app for,
    > Ubuntu will prompt if you would like to download and install the
    > appropriate software. This was a very nice enhancement that 7.10
    > brought to the table.

    I didn't notice this but I will take your word for it.
    Good feature.

    > Administrative tasks are nicely arranged in the System menu. The
    > GUI tools for admin tasks work very well, are more intuitive than
    > earlier generations, and preserve correct use of the text
    > configuration files so remote admin over SSH is still possible.
    > I'm a command line hack from way back, but I've forced myself to use
    > just the GUI tools to better evaluate the current state of desktop
    > Linux, and I've yet to find any common admin task I cannot do with
    > an intuitive clicky app.

    This is more important than many Linux users will admit.
    Yes SSH, samba,wine etc is great but when the built in firewall, or
    configuration is not set up to deal with it and it tanks, the user,
    especially a new user, gets pissed off.

    Windows is not immune from this either BTW as online gamers will tell you.
    But it's easier under Windows because the instructions are simple and you
    don't have to wade through instructions for many. many different versions
    like you do with Linux (distributions).

    snip---I don't use OSX.

    > In summary, I like both OSX and Linux, but I definitely prefer
    > Linux. I don't hesitate to recommend a Mac to someone if they
    > are looking to do some major multi-media content creation and
    > need professional grade tools, but I always recommend people
    > give Ubuntu a try if they just need a rock solid Internet
    > surfing station or just need to do a bit of word processing.
    > It particularly makes sense if they already have an older
    > Windows box sitting around that they can re-task.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Thad

    I am suggesting to most noobs I deal with that are interested in multimedia
    that it would be wise to check out the Mac platform because Vista is
    certainly having sever growing pains in that area.

  6. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    "thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com" stated
    in post sj9n65-1fv.ln1@tux.glaci.com on 1/24/08 1:38 PM:

    > Snit wrote:
    > [ gratuitious deletia ...]
    >>
    >>> Of course I am paying him in bogo-dollars, which due to their open source
    >>> nature can be legally replicated and copied as often as one likes, which
    >>> makes
    >>> it difficult to define an exchange rate with other currencies.

    >> Hmmm, interesting idea...

    > Actually, considering the way the US dollar is dropping, I'm thinking
    > it is not much different than a bogo-dollar. :-/

    How much bogo-debt is there?

    >> I have been trying to get people to talk about Linux's ease of use features,
    >> especially Ubuntu's. I have not had much successes... seems people do not
    >> really want to talk about Linux.

    > What the heck, I'll give it go.

    Thank you. Sincerely appreciate it.

    > First off, I like how Ubuntu organizes its menus, particularly the
    > organization of Applications into functional groups and the placement
    > of Add/Remove prominently in the list to make customization easier.
    > The arrangement of applications in the software repositories follows
    > the same model, so apps end up where you expect in the menu when you
    > install. I find this much more intuitive than the way Windows does
    > it.

    Agreed - and with OS X your apps get "plopped" into an applications folder
    with no alias/shortcut made (in most cases). Not as big of a deal as it
    might be in other OSs, considering the dock and that most apps in OS X are
    represented by a single icon that contains the executable plus all requited
    "supporting" files, but it is still a pain for many users - especially in
    the group I have been looking at. Still, I would say Ubuntu handles this in
    a way that is different than either OS X or Windows and it has its benefits.

    The downside of the Ubuntu way is that not all apps get put into the menu by
    default... you can have many apps on your machine and not know it unless you
    do more digging than the general user is likely to do.

    > Ubuntu comes with commonly used apps preinstalled, and puts icons for
    > the most widely used (Email, Firefox, and OpenOffice) up in the top
    > panel for easy launching.

    Yes... and that is pretty cool. Also shows its focus... other OSs seem to
    have a somewhat broader focus.

    > If you click on content that you don't have a codec or app for,
    > Ubuntu will prompt if you would like to download and install the
    > appropriate software. This was a very nice enhancement that 7.10
    > brought to the table.

    I did not know about that one... that is cool... and a good example of ease
    of use.

    > Administrative tasks are nicely arranged in the System menu. The
    > GUI tools for admin tasks work very well, are more intuitive than
    > earlier generations, and preserve correct use of the text
    > configuration files so remote admin over SSH is still possible.
    > I'm a command line hack from way back, but I've forced myself to use
    > just the GUI tools to better evaluate the current state of desktop
    > Linux, and I've yet to find any common admin task I cannot do with
    > an intuitive clicky app.

    I wonder how a non-techie would do...

    > Since I know you are a Mac fan, and I use a Mac also, I'll try to
    > make some comparisons.

    Thank you.

    > Generally, I like the default OSX interface, particularly the
    > Doc for launching apps. When I want to find an app that is not
    > already in the doc, however, it seems a bit less intuitive than
    > the Ubuntu Applications menu.

    Agreed - though Go > Applications is pretty easy there are often so many in
    the folder that it can be a challenge... and the average user would get
    overwhelmed. This is made worse if the names or the icons are not
    descriptive. Also, on the topic of the dock, icons can be removed too
    easily - by accident even.

    > Also, I've never been completely comfortable with the default Mac behavior of
    > always placing the current in-focus application's menu at the top of the
    > desktop rather than on the app's main window. This can cause brief confusion
    > if I've accidently clicked on the desktop, causing the finder menu to be
    > active instead of my app. Of course I realize that someone used to the Mac
    > way of doing things probably finds the other model equally annoying.

    For new users the problem is that they get confused as to what app they are
    in. In the past the trade off was that the Mac menu could be used more
    quickly with its effective infinite height... studies have shown this. I am
    not sure, though, that as resolutions grow and, especially, as dual (and
    more) monitors become more common that the advantages outweigh the distance
    to the menu. Oh, and another benefit is even for small windows the menu
    need not wrap - and you can have a menu without a window at all. Still, the
    advantages are likely not weighted in favor of the Mac way as strongly as
    they once were.

    > Of course what the Mac really has going for it is a great suite
    > of consumer applications with consistent UI design and cross app
    > integration. Apple did the right thing early on when they
    > published style guides for their app writers. Ubuntu has done a
    > great job collecting together and enhancing a good set of well
    > integrated apps. If you stick with apps flagged as 'works well
    > with Ubuntu' in the repositories, you will also have pretty
    > consistent experience. Of course the repositories are also full
    > of a lot of other cool software that is not so consistent. That
    > is where Linux starts to receive its 'rough around the edges'
    > reputation.

    From memory there is plenty of software that is KDE based that is shown as
    working well with Ubuntu. I will have to double check that. If not then my
    comments (elsewhere) about this weakness are at least somewhat mitigated.
    Still, when folks like Rick claim to be knowledgeable about Linux and
    suggest that new / non-techie users get Amarok for Ubuntu it shows there is
    confusion even in the more advanced users.

    > In summary, I like both OSX and Linux, but I definitely prefer Linux. I don't
    > hesitate to recommend a Mac to someone if they are looking to do some major
    > multi-media content creation and need professional grade tools, but I always
    > recommend people give Ubuntu a try if they just need a rock solid Internet
    > surfing station or just need to do a bit of word processing. It particularly
    > makes sense if they already have an older Windows box sitting around that they
    > can re-task.

    Thank you - best post on Ubuntu ease of use I have seen and I appreciate it.

    I think one difference between the two, at least for the users I have been
    focusing on, is that Ubuntu's focus is on the things you list: word
    processing and web/email. OS X is, if anything, a bit less focused on word
    processing but also is focused on web and email... and also on multimedia
    with iLife and the like. For the novice / non-techie OS X likely offers
    more (in general) but for the more advanced user the Linux environment
    offers a *lot* for a very low price (generally free, not including
    hardware).

    Again, thank you. I really appreciate seeing at least one person in COLA
    can actually advocate Linux when asked to.

    --
    "Uh... ask me after we ship the next version of Windows [laughs] then I'll
    be more open to give you a blunt answer." - Bill Gates

  7. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    "Moshe Goldfarb" stated in post
    3o4v6tdgoiaa$.hf3366nfsgrk.dlg@40tude.net on 1/24/08 2:03 PM:

    > On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:38:52 -0600, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:
    >> [ gratuitious deletia ...]

    >>> Hmmm, interesting idea...

    >> Actually, considering the way the US dollar is dropping, I'm thinking
    >> it is not much different than a bogo-dollar. :-/

    > Not too far fetched a concept.
    >
    >>> I have been trying to get people to talk about Linux's ease of use features,
    >>> especially Ubuntu's. I have not had much successes... seems people do not
    >>> really want to talk about Linux.

    >> What the heck, I'll give it go.
    >>
    >> First off, I like how Ubuntu organizes its menus, particularly the
    >> organization of Applications into functional groups and the placement
    >> of Add/Remove prominently in the list to make customization easier.
    >> The arrangement of applications in the software repositories follows
    >> the same model, so apps end up where you expect in the menu when you
    >> install. I find this much more intuitive than the way Windows does
    >> it.

    > I agree with this.
    > Much better than Suse which has things scattered all over the place.
    >
    >> Ubuntu comes with commonly used apps preinstalled, and puts icons for
    >> the most widely used (Email, Firefox, and OpenOffice) up in the top
    >> panel for easy launching.

    > Agree again.
    >
    >> If you click on content that you don't have a codec or app for,
    >> Ubuntu will prompt if you would like to download and install the
    >> appropriate software. This was a very nice enhancement that 7.10
    >> brought to the table.

    > I didn't notice this but I will take your word for it.
    > Good feature.
    >
    >> Administrative tasks are nicely arranged in the System menu. The
    >> GUI tools for admin tasks work very well, are more intuitive than
    >> earlier generations, and preserve correct use of the text
    >> configuration files so remote admin over SSH is still possible.
    >> I'm a command line hack from way back, but I've forced myself to use
    >> just the GUI tools to better evaluate the current state of desktop
    >> Linux, and I've yet to find any common admin task I cannot do with
    >> an intuitive clicky app.

    > This is more important than many Linux users will admit.
    > Yes SSH, samba,wine etc is great but when the built in firewall, or
    > configuration is not set up to deal with it and it tanks, the user,
    > especially a new user, gets pissed off.
    >
    > Windows is not immune from this either BTW as online gamers will tell you.
    > But it's easier under Windows because the instructions are simple and you
    > don't have to wade through instructions for many. many different versions
    > like you do with Linux (distributions).
    >
    > snip---I don't use OSX.

    OS X is the king at making things types of things easy... but they sometimes
    leave off settings that they likely should at least have in an advanced tab.

    >> In summary, I like both OSX and Linux, but I definitely prefer
    >> Linux. I don't hesitate to recommend a Mac to someone if they
    >> are looking to do some major multi-media content creation and
    >> need professional grade tools, but I always recommend people
    >> give Ubuntu a try if they just need a rock solid Internet
    >> surfing station or just need to do a bit of word processing.
    >> It particularly makes sense if they already have an older
    >> Windows box sitting around that they can re-task.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Thad

    > I am suggesting to most noobs I deal with that are interested in multimedia
    > that it would be wise to check out the Mac platform because Vista is
    > certainly having sever growing pains in that area.

    Agreed... and even for "noobs" that do not have such an interest they often
    end up wanting to work with a digital camera or even video and then share
    those things in movies with music and the like... and burn DVDs or post to
    the web.

    --
    "If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."
    - Anatole France

  8. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    >**** wrote:
    >>
    >> I have been trying to get people to talk about Linux's ease of use features,
    >> especially Ubuntu's. I have not had much successes... seems people do not
    >> really want to talk about Linux.

    You mean "seems people do not really want to talk about Linux with
    ****head trolls", right, ****?

    Everyone would be well-advised to plonk you, as I have.

  9. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > I am suggesting to most noobs I deal with that are interested in multimedia
    > that it would be wise to check out the Mac platform because Vista is
    > certainly having sever growing pains in that area.

    Yes, I would love to be able to recommend Linux as a video editing
    system, but it honestly is not quite there yet. Ubuntu Studio
    shows great potential, but a few of the apps (like Cinelerra) still
    need some rough edges nocked off before they are ready for the
    average user. Still, as with mast things Linux, the pace of
    improvement is impressive.

    Hey, thats two posts I've seen from you now that lean more toward
    advocacy than trollishness... did someone hijack your nym?

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  10. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    > Snit wrote:
    >
    >> I have been trying to get people to talk about Linux's ease of use
    >> features, especially Ubuntu's. I have not had much successes... seems
    >> people do not really want to talk about Linux.

    Oh, people want to talk about it allright.
    But not with dishonest swine like Michael Glasser (Snot)

    The main reason naturally being that he doesn't want to "discuss". He wants
    to troll and to antagonize people

    The other reason: Snot knows absolutely nothing about linux and is therefore
    the least qualified person on earth to "discuss" about it
    --
    Try to be the best of whatever you are, even if what you are is
    no good.

  11. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:45:30 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have been trying to get people to talk about Linux's ease of use
    >>> features, especially Ubuntu's. I have not had much successes... seems
    >>> people do not really want to talk about Linux.

    > Oh, people want to talk about it allright.
    > But not with dishonest swine like Michael Glasser (Snot)
    >
    > The main reason naturally being that he doesn't want to "discuss". He wants
    > to troll and to antagonize people
    >
    > The other reason: Snot knows absolutely nothing about linux and is therefore
    > the least qualified person on earth to "discuss" about it

    Your description sounds more like Roy Schestowitz or Mark Kent.
    Especially the last paragraph.

  12. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:45:07 -0600, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >> I am suggesting to most noobs I deal with that are interested in multimedia
    >> that it would be wise to check out the Mac platform because Vista is
    >> certainly having sever growing pains in that area.

    > Yes, I would love to be able to recommend Linux as a video editing
    > system, but it honestly is not quite there yet. Ubuntu Studio
    > shows great potential, but a few of the apps (like Cinelerra) still
    > need some rough edges nocked off before they are ready for the
    > average user. Still, as with mast things Linux, the pace of
    > improvement is impressive.
    >
    > Hey, thats two posts I've seen from you now that lean more toward
    > advocacy than trollishness... did someone hijack your nym?
    >
    > Thad

    Nope.
    People who are REAL Linux advocates, not paid shills, get reasonable dialog
    from me.

  13. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    It is recommended that you keep your head attached to your spine at all times.

  14. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:33:20 -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:01:23 -0500,
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> No, *I'm* paying Roy to post in COLA!
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else?

    >> I gave Roy a Vista laptop for posting in COLA.
    >>

    > you hate him that much?

    Good one!

  15. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    On 2008-01-24, William Poaster claimed:
    > thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>>
    >>> So who is paying you Roy Schestowitz, to post all of this libelous,
    >>> without proof, stuff concerning Novell, Microsoft and so forth?
    >>> It's obvious you have some sponsorship in this mission to discredit.

    >> OK, I admit it, its me... I am paying Roy to post in COLA.

    > No, *I'm* paying Roy to post in COLA!
    >
    > Anyone else?

    *YOU* are?? I thought /I/ had an exclusive agreement that he would
    _only_ do /my/ bidding!

    --
    A girlfriend may be a free trial, but you get a life sentence.

  16. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    On 2008-01-24, Linonut claimed:
    > * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    >>> OK, I admit it, its me... I am paying Roy to post in COLA.

    >> No, *I'm* paying Roy to post in COLA!
    >>
    >> Anyone else?

    > I gave Roy a Vista laptop for posting in COLA.

    Yeah!? Well, I took the Vista laptop _away_ from Roy if he'd keep
    posting in COLA.

    --
    Medical science *still* cannot cure stupidity.

  17. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:24:10 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-01-24, Linonut claimed:
    >> * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> No, *I'm* paying Roy to post in COLA!
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else?

    >> I gave Roy a Vista laptop for posting in COLA.

    > Yeah!? Well, I took the Vista laptop _away_ from Roy if he'd keep
    > posting in COLA.

    And I gave him a Thinkpad running Linux if he would continue posting in
    COLA.

    Why?

    Think about it.

  18. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    "Moshe Goldfarb" stated in post
    bxf04fr3u3by.dmtqek7c3h3j$.dlg@40tude.net on 1/24/08 2:49 PM:

    > On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:45:30 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    >> Oh, people want to talk about it allright.
    >> But not with dishonest swine like Michael Glasser (Snot)
    >>
    >> The main reason naturally being that he doesn't want to "discuss". He wants
    >> to troll and to antagonize people
    >>
    >> The other reason: Snot knows absolutely nothing about linux and is therefore
    >> the least qualified person on earth to "discuss" about it

    > Your description sounds more like Roy Schestowitz or Mark Kent.
    > Especially the last paragraph.

    The funny thing is Thad gave a very good response... from my response back
    to him:

    Thank you - best post on Ubuntu ease of use I have seen and
    I appreciate it.

    He was insightful, educational, polite, and - gasp! - actually advocated
    Linux... in other words he is a better man than Peter. Oh well.

    --
    Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid: humans are incredibly
    slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful beyond

  19. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:34:23 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb" stated in post
    > bxf04fr3u3by.dmtqek7c3h3j$.dlg@40tude.net on 1/24/08 2:49 PM:

    >>> Oh, people want to talk about it allright.
    >>> But not with dishonest swine like Michael Glasser (Snot)
    >>>
    >>> The main reason naturally being that he doesn't want to "discuss". He wants
    >>> to troll and to antagonize people
    >>>
    >>> The other reason: Snot knows absolutely nothing about linux and is therefore
    >>> the least qualified person on earth to "discuss" about it

    >> Your description sounds more like Roy Schestowitz or Mark Kent.
    >> Especially the last paragraph.

    > The funny thing is Thad gave a very good response... from my response back
    > to him:
    >
    > Thank you - best post on Ubuntu ease of use I have seen and
    > I appreciate it.
    >
    > He was insightful, educational, polite, and - gasp! - actually advocated
    > Linux... in other words he is a better man than Peter. Oh well.

    Thad seems to be a sincere Linux advocate with insight and opinions that
    maybe I don't agree with totally, but they are expressed in a polite
    manner.

    The rest of the tripe in this group could learn from him.

    FWIW Linonut used to be like that but he has become Roy's shill as of late.

  20. Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    "Moshe Goldfarb" stated in post
    45d3o481t80x.1j0y1107kaxl8.dlg@40tude.net on 1/24/08 6:39 PM:

    > On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:34:23 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb" stated in post
    >> bxf04fr3u3by.dmtqek7c3h3j$.dlg@40tude.net on 1/24/08 2:49 PM:

    >>> Your description sounds more like Roy Schestowitz or Mark Kent.
    >>> Especially the last paragraph.

    >> The funny thing is Thad gave a very good response... from my response back
    >> to him:
    >>
    >> Thank you - best post on Ubuntu ease of use I have seen and
    >> I appreciate it.
    >>
    >> He was insightful, educational, polite, and - gasp! - actually advocated
    >> Linux... in other words he is a better man than Peter. Oh well.

    > Thad seems to be a sincere Linux advocate with insight and opinions that
    > maybe I don't agree with totally, but they are expressed in a polite
    > manner.
    >
    > The rest of the tripe in this group could learn from him.

    It would be great if they did but it has not been shown that they "could".

    > FWIW Linonut used to be like that but he has become Roy's shill as of late.

    I do not get why one person becomes another's shill... but I have seen that
    in CSMA as well... people who on their own might be somewhat reasonable
    become shills for known liars and trolls... even trying to defend their ever
    changing and growing lies - while completely unable to even keep track of
    the same. It is baffling... one of the "charms" of Usenet.

    --
    Do you ever wake up in a cold sweat wondering what the world would be
    like if the Lamarckian view of evolutionary had ended up being accepted