Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles - Linux ; "Until recently, Linux PCs were about as easy to find in stores as a vinyl record. Now, personal computers with the Linux operating system pre-installed are becoming more readily available, thanks to new models from upstarts and established PC makers ...

  1. Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    "Until recently, Linux PCs were about as easy to find in stores as a
    vinyl record. Now, personal computers with the Linux operating system
    pre-installed are becoming more readily available, thanks to new models
    from upstarts and established PC makers -- and disappointment with
    Microsoft's new Windows Vista OS."

    http://www.informationweek.com/news/...cid=nl_IWK_BTL

  2. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:46:35 -0800, Philip wrote:

    > "Until recently, Linux PCs were about as easy to find in stores as a
    > vinyl record.

    Vinyl records are easy to find in stores.
    Linux PCs are not.

    You really must get out more Phillip.

  3. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > Vinyl records are easy to find in stores.

    Sure they are.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    Moshe Goldfarb :
    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:46:35 -0800, Philip wrote:
    >
    >> "Until recently, Linux PCs were about as easy to find in stores as a
    >> vinyl record.

    > Vinyl records are easy to find in stores.
    > Linux PCs are not.

    They don't need to be. Linux downloads are *legal*.

    --
    ANN JILLIAN'S HAIR makes LONI ANDERSON'S HAIR look like RICARDO
    MONTALBAN'S HAIR!

    www.websterscafe.com

  5. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 03:44:56 GMT, Handover Phist wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb :
    >> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:46:35 -0800, Philip wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Until recently, Linux PCs were about as easy to find in stores as a
    >>> vinyl record.

    >> Vinyl records are easy to find in stores.
    >> Linux PCs are not.

    > They don't need to be. Linux downloads are *legal*.

    I never knew you could download a Linux PC.
    Tell me how one accomplishes that?

  6. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    Moshe Goldfarb :
    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 03:44:56 GMT, Handover Phist wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb :

    >>> Vinyl records are easy to find in stores.
    >>> Linux PCs are not.

    >> They don't need to be. Linux downloads are *legal*.

    > I never knew you could download a Linux PC.
    > Tell me how one accomplishes that?

    IUt's likely you have an old box kicking around. Get Linux and load up.

    --
    Witch! Witch! They'll burn ya!
    -- Hag, "Tomorrow is Yesterday", stardate unknown

    www.websterscafe.com

  7. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:49:56 GMT, Handover Phist wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb :
    >> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 03:44:56 GMT, Handover Phist wrote:
    >>
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb :

    >>> They don't need to be. Linux downloads are *legal*.

    >> I never knew you could download a Linux PC.
    >> Tell me how one accomplishes that?

    > IUt's likely you have an old box kicking around. Get Linux and load up.

    You have not answered the question.
    Note, this is not about downloading Linux.
    It's about finding Linux PCs in stores.

    You have twisted the topic to fit your own agenda.

  8. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    RonB :
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> Vinyl records are easy to find in stores.

    > Sure they are.

    Actually, they are...

    --
    Of course a platonic relationship is possible -- but only between
    husband and wife.

    www.websterscafe.com

  9. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:54:56 GMT, Handover Phist wrote:

    > RonB :
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >>> Vinyl records are easy to find in stores.

    >> Sure they are.

    > Actually, they are...

    True.
    Vinyl is far from dead.
    The hip hoppers and audiophiles are still big vinyl fans.

  10. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    Handover Phist wrote:

    > RonB :
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >>> Vinyl records are easy to find in stores.

    >> Sure they are.

    > Actually, they are...

    You're talking about vinyl records, right? And you're talking about stores
    with *new* merchandise, right? Records you play on those archaic record
    playing contraptions of yesteryear?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  11. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    RonB wrote:

    > Handover Phist wrote:
    >
    >> RonB :

    >>> Sure they are.

    >> Actually, they are...

    > You're talking about vinyl records, right? And you're talking about stores
    > with *new* merchandise, right? Records you play on those archaic record
    > playing contraptions of yesteryear?

    Yes, they are available. Just not everwhere
    And not nearly as much choice as with CDs now, but still...
    --
    There are two kinds of people in this world: the kind that divides
    everybody into two kinds of people, and everybody else

  12. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Yes, they are available. Just not everwhere
    > And not nearly as much choice as with CDs now, but still...

    Pretty rare in this part of this country.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  13. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 01:28:12 -0600, RonB wrote:

    > Peter KŲhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, they are available. Just not everwhere
    >> And not nearly as much choice as with CDs now, but still...

    > Pretty rare in this part of this country.

    You need to remove yourself from your mother's basement.
    There is an entirely new world out there for you to see.

  14. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 01:28:12 -0600, RonB wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes, they are available. Just not everwhere
    >>> And not nearly as much choice as with CDs now, but still...

    >> Pretty rare in this part of this country.

    > You need to remove yourself from your mother's basement.
    > There is an entirely new world out there for you to see.

    Wrong. The choice of vinyl is mostly to certain music genres.
    If those are not sought after in certain areas, you are not likely to find
    them.

    But you knew that, right, flatfish, and just wanted to be the agressive and
    dishonest asshole you really are
    --
    Warning: 10 days have passed since your last Windows reinstall.

  15. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    Moshe Goldfarb :
    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:49:56 GMT, Handover Phist wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb :

    >>> I never knew you could download a Linux PC.
    >>> Tell me how one accomplishes that?

    >> IUt's likely you have an old box kicking around. Get Linux and load up.

    > You have not answered the question.
    > Note, this is not about downloading Linux.
    > It's about finding Linux PCs in stores.

    You wont find Linux PC's in stores because it's too easy to get without
    having to go to the store and buy it. That's the point.

    > You have twisted the topic to fit your own agenda.

    Who doesn't?

    --
    A straw vote only shows which way the hot air blows.

    www.websterscafe.com

  16. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    RonB :
    > Handover Phist wrote:
    >
    >> RonB :

    >>> Sure they are.

    >> Actually, they are...

    > You're talking about vinyl records, right? And you're talking about stores
    > with *new* merchandise, right? Records you play on those archaic record
    > playing contraptions of yesteryear?

    I'm talking about vinyl, yes, and I'm talking new. Rush released Snakes
    And Arrows last year and I *believe* it's available on vinyl, although I
    have yet to get it. I'll take a look today (I'm up a bit late). I have
    one of those fnacy old record player contraptions on my crappy old 5.1
    surround system, but I usually play older tunes on the record player.
    New stuff is mixed for CDs and usually overpowered for volume. On some
    the clipping is horrendous and much of the sound that fills out the
    tunes is lost.

    --
    Did I SELL OUT yet??

    www.websterscafe.com

  17. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    * Handover Phist peremptorily fired off this memo:

    --
    Don't know what time I'll be back, Mom. Probably soon after she throws me out.

  18. Can't buy a Linux PC? Download and make it yourself

    Note subject change.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Handover Phist

    wrote
    on Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:14:56 GMT
    :
    > Moshe Goldfarb :
    >> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:49:56 GMT, Handover Phist wrote:
    >>
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb :

    >>> IUt's likely you have an old box kicking around. Get Linux and load up.

    >> You have not answered the question.
    >> Note, this is not about downloading Linux.
    >> It's about finding Linux PCs in stores.

    > You wont find Linux PC's in stores because it's too easy
    > to get without having to go to the store and buy it.
    > That's the point.

    Actually, Moshe was apparently referring to the notion
    of downloading the actual hardware. This is technically
    possible if one has an onsite silicon fab, a kit for
    making PC boards (not sure if those are sold anymore or
    not; nasty chemical stuff for copper etching), and a 3D
    plastic printer of some sort, though there is the issue
    of how one works with the transformers and fan motors.
    Best I can do there is outsource -- buy 'em prefab from
    various companies.

    Google coughed up
    http://www.capinc.com/pages/products...n3dprinter.cfm

    in particular. This looks more suited for the
    industrial prototyping market, of course.

    http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7165

    suggests a research unit that might evolve, given
    the right raw materials. One hopes the old units
    can be recycled.

    Popular Mechanics weighs in with a video on Hod Lipson's
    device, which looks a bit like a flatbed pen plotter only
    using a form of hardening plastic.

    http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...y/4224759.html

    It is open source, it turns out:

    http://fabathome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

    And of course if one wants to really get wacky, one can
    design or download the specs for one's own SSI CPU,
    somewhat along the lines of:

    http://www.homebrewcpu.org/

    though admittedly Linux won't run on this hardware -- yet.
    (No MMU.)

    Of course Moshe has confused the topic; the original
    concept mutated from "buying a Linux PC" to "Linux
    download" to "downloading a Linux PC" to "downloading
    Linux onto an old box kicking around".

    I can answer Moshe's question to some extent, though it's
    very dated info; I have seen a Linux PC, though at the time
    it was malfunctioning (or improperly set up; it was powered
    on and displayed some text) in a local Fry's Electronics.
    I have not seen one since.

    I've also seen a copy of Quake III for Linux. I'm a
    little sorry I didn't buy it. ;-)

    And of course one can always go online, with varying
    amounts of success.

    http://www.dell.com/
    On Dell: click on Desktops then pull down from the blue menu
    bar "Open Source PCs". Microsoft Windows XP and Vista only,
    for preinstalls; Ubuntu and FreeDOS install kits shipped
    with product, as far as I can tell.

    http://www.eracks.com/
    Worldwide shipping, as far as I can tell, though presumably
    non-US costs extra. I like their OS selection.

    http://www.ebuy.co.uk/
    UK area. Watch out for ebuy.com; it's a squatter search engine.
    This appears to be a competitor for www.ebay.co.uk.

    http://www.system76.com/
    US and Canadian shipping. Ubuntu only.

    or start browsing at

    http://www.linux.org/hardware/

    to find a list of, among other things, vendors, hardware
    components, and distributors.

    As usual, caveat emptor.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature/pedantry: Resource temporarily unavailable

  19. Re: Linux PC Models Multiply As Vista Struggles

    RonB writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> Vinyl records are easy to find in stores.

    > Sure they are.

    Err, they are. What's your point?

+ Reply to Thread