[News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early - Linux ; Inside Source Reveal the Truth About Xbox 360 "Red Ring of Death" Failures ,----[ Quote ] | It's around 30%, and all will probably fail early. This quarter they are | expecting 1 M failures, most of those Xenons. Some ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    Inside Source Reveal the Truth About Xbox 360 "Red Ring of Death" Failures

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's around 30%, and all will probably fail early. This quarter they are
    | expecting 1 M failures, most of those Xenons. Some of those are repeat
    | failures.
    `----

    http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives...h_failures.php

    The COLA trolls ridiculed those who claimed 30%. Monopoly boot lickers and
    pathetic liars -- that's what the trolls are. The same goes for back doors in
    Windows, which are /well/ beyond proven.

    XBox360 has been one BIG GIGANTIC fiasco which lost Microsoft several
    $billions. Heads were rolling, too. The links below prove it all.

    Related:

    Microsoft Admits *ALL* Xbox360's Are Defective

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Though Robbie Bach, head of Microsoft's Xbox360 Division refused to elaborate
    | on the issue, the general consensus is that it's one of botched thermal
    | design management and inadequate dissipation of heat leading to component
    | failure.
    `----

    http://www.fastsilicon.com/latest-ne...html?Itemid=60

    Insider Trading Hasn't Affect Microsoft Stock - Yet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MarketWatch.com reports that Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's
    | Entertainment and Devices division, sold $6.2 million of Microsoft
    | stock just prior to announcing that Microsoft was going to have to
    | extend XBox 360 warranties to three years because of extensive
    | failures. The filings note that this was not part of any
    | scheduled diversification or selling program; this was a
    | conscious, unscheduled sale by the guy in charge of releasing
    | news that could affect the value of Microsoft stock.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Insider trading is a very serious violation of the law; just
    | ask Martha Stewart, who served five months in prison for
    | avoiding losses of $43,000 through trades that just had suspicious
    | timing (no insider trading was actually proven). This is $6.3
    | million that went straight into Robbie Bach's pocket.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...7_id.html?.v=1

    Peter Moore's parting pledge for Microsoft games an empty promise?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now that we know Mr Moore has departed for greener multi-million dollar
    | pastures as the head of the powerful sports games division at Electronic
    | Arts, the question is was his promise of a profitable games business at
    | Microsoft simply the parting words of a man who knew he would not be around
    | to be held accountable for them? * *
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?o...98&Itemid=1023

    Microsoft: XBox 360 Price Drop Won't Fix Broken Strategy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So in the end, it doesn’t matter if the 360 is $50 or even $100 less.
    | Ultimately, the price cut will just reveal how niche the system has become.
    |
    | Exactly. Come on, guys. The blogosphere, be it the guys at GigaOM, Chris
    | Kohler at Wired Game I Life or myself, have come up with some pretty rational
    | approaches for how you can get it together. Unfortunately, however, our
    | protestations seem to fall on deaf ears. Best of luck with your "winning
    | strategy." I guess you know best.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...5_id.html?.v=1

    XBLA's Ross Erickson leaves Microsoft, heads over to Sierra Online

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Of course, this follows XBLA General Manager Greg Canessa's
    | departure a couple weeks back. While having two of the most
    | senior Xbox Live Arcade execs jump ship in a two week time
    | span after a particularly long string of subpar Wednesdays
    | -- nothing, Ms. Pac-Man, Lumines add-on, nothing, Root Beer
    | Tapper, Paperboy, nothing -- might seem to imply certain
    | disaster, Ross insisted that he and Greg's decided to
    | leave under entirely different circumstances.
    `----

    http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/20/xb...o-sierra-onli/
    http://tinyurl.com/25s6he

    XBLA main man jumps ship

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In somewhat surprising news, Greg Canessa, the big guy behind
    | Xbox Live Arcade, has left the Microsoft compound for PopCap Games.
    `----

    http://www.destructoid.com/xbla-main...ip-29716.phtml

    Japanese Thermal Expert Examines Xbox 360, Figures Out What's Wrong (Hint:
    Everything)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Because Microsoft will never admit to any possible overheating problems with
    | their beloved Xbox 360 design, Japanese-based Nikkei hired a thermal design
    | expert to come examine the console. They looked at two—one made in 2005 and
    | one repaired in May 2007. *
    `----

    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/microsoft...ing-286400.php

    Lawsuit claims Xbox 360s scratch discs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Filed on Monday in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of
    | Florida, the suit claims that Xbox 360s scratch game discs, making them
    | unusable. Thousands of people have been affected by and have complained to
    | Microsoft about the problem, the suit claims. *
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/90093

    Microsoft admits scratch problem with Xbox 360

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There hasn't been much discussion on the fact that the problem exists
    | by consumers, but untill now Microsoft has always somewhat denied the
    | problem and never proposed a solution.
    |
    | The Dutch television show Kassa, which deals with customer complaints,
    | has been nagging Microsoft about this problem for several weeks, they
    | did tests with Xbox360 setups and filmed (and proofed) that the Xbox360
    | is indeed responsible for scratching game discs, when not moved, placed
    | on a stable table and under the best possible conditions.
    |
    | [...]
    |

    | The television show also reported that while this issue is now an issue
    | in the Netherlands (it is also widely covered in regular news), it
    | could become a global problem for Microsoft in the future. Therefore
    | I would recommend anyone who is facing the same problem to contact
    | their local Microsoft office and point them to this article.
    `----

    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Microso...-Xbox-360.html

    European commission investigates XBOX 360 failures

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It seems that Microsoft can't catch a break these days what with
    | Vista still failing miserably and apparently so are XBOX 360's.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | There are upwards of 1,000 complaints from the Netherlands alone
    | which is going up every day. The commissioner not only wants
    | answers from Microsoft Europe but from other markets as well
    | and a bulleted list of all issues and problems known in
    | those markets.
    `----

    http://gamer.blorge.com/2007/06/01/e...-360-failures/

    WARNING :- avoid VGCHARTS and NEOGAF

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | They are being financed by MS to make 360 look good to gullible people.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | NEOGAF :-
    | another Flaming and misleading gaming forum run by 2 previous MS employees.
    | This is the forum where you have people posting "360 is the last stand for
    | RPG in JAPAN" , "x360 kills ps3 in JAPAN" and getting away with it.
    `----

    http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=121309

    Microsoft facing $1bn Xbox bill

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft, has not revealed how many of its machines have suffered the
    | problem, but said the number was "bigger than we are comfortable with."
    `----

    Microsoft lied about scaling chips they promised:

    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=42164

    Owner of eight failed Xbox 360 explains failures

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And although console gamers usually don’t come with the geeky and
    | techie know-how of Banzai Runner hobbyists, an owner of eight failed
    | Xbox 360s finally tapped into his inner geek and got the problem of
    | the Xbox 360 issues down pat.
    `----

    http://www.kilegates.com/owner-of-ei...ains-failures/

    30% failure rate haunts Xbox 360 image

    | A recent query put to an Australian game retailer puts the figure at a
    | 30% return rate.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?o...77&Itemid=1063

    A Tale of 11 Broken Xbox 360s

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "I can't comment on failure rates, because it's just not something - it's
    | a moving target. What this consumer should worry about is the way that
    | we've treated him. Y'know, things break, and if we've treated him well
    | and fixed his problem, that's something that we're focused on right
    | now."
    |
    | * *-- Peter Moore [of Microsoft] on Xbox 360 failure rates
    `----

    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160603

    Microsoft deletes mass Xbox 360 crashing claims from Forza 2 forums

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In what appears to be an effort to conceal the over 900 replies gamers
    | provided on the official Forzamotorsport.net forums about Forza Motorsport 2
    | crashing on the Xbox 360, Microsoft has deleted the long thread, now stating
    | that it’s “exclusive content for registered forum users” only. However, the
    | thread was removed entirely, even to registered members. * *
    `----

    http://gamerush.zoomshare.com/files/...orums_News.htm

    Anecdotal: Microsoft low on Xbox 360 coffins

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For the most part, we've given up on reporting every single time
    | one of our colleagues in the gaming press has an Xbox 360 die on
    | them. Frankly, we'd be writing a piece every couple weeks. A
    | brilliant recent example was the Weekly Geek Show's Xbox 360,
    | which we covered, died again in late May. Exactly one month
    | and six days after being "repaired." But, like Peter Moore
    | asked of all of us, we shouldn't focus on the failure rate
    | of Xbox 360s, but on the service in repairing them. And so,
    | we have the story of Officer Craig Ravitch of the New York
    | Police Department.
    `----

    http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/06/an...x-360-coffins/
    http://tinyurl.com/28qx3b

    Gamers Say Microsoft Understates Xbox Problems

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | An insider from Electronic Arts, Inc. is saying that the failure rate
    | of Microsoft's Xbox 360 gaming console is actually ten times higher than
    | what Microsoft spokespeople have admitted.
    |
    | Game Daily BIZ, a gaming industry publication, reported that the
    | anonymous source tallied that of the 300 consoles EA has received,
    | 30-50 percent of them have failed.
    `----

    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0..._gamers02.html

    Gears of War disc errors - why the hell is no one covering this?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So, we're all just 'unlucky' Mark? Thanks for that. I'm happy for you
    | and your console, but what about us? Where are we supposed to turn to
    | for help and support? Microsoft wasn't very helpful (ref #102-379-2964)
    | any of the times I've called them (I think it's up to three now for the
    | same issue - perhaps I'll call again today and check on an update).
    |
    | All I know is that if I see that dreaded error message again on my new
    | 360 I am going to go absolutely ballistic!!!
    `----

    http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=...UserId=5551391

    What is the real failure rate of the Xbox 360?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We asked Game, one of the largest console retailers in the UK.
    | "That's not information we're able to give out. It's commercially
    | sensitive," it said. As for Microsoft, in the early days after the
    | console's 2005 launch it claimed that failure rates were no higher
    | than an industry average of between 3% and 5%. That now seems
    | wildly optimistic.
    |
    | Last month, its vice-president of entertainment, Peter Moore,
    | refused to answer the question, telling the Mercury News: "I
    | can't comment on failure rates." According to Moore, if someone
    | has a faulty console they should worry about the customer service.
    `----

    http://technology.guardian.co.uk/wee...091221,00.html

    360 failure rates at 61%?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Over at XBox 360 Gamer they have refused to buy Microsoft?s claimed
    | 4-5% failure rates and instead opted to create their own poll which
    | yielded shocking results. At the time of writing there have been
    | 3780 submissions and 2355 comments resulting in claimed failure
    | rates of 61%.
    |
    | There is no avoiding the fact that there is likely to be a negative
    | skew to the poll, angry gamers are more likely to vent than satisfied
    | gamers. That said 61% is a huge number and even if its half that 30%
    | is a far cry from the 4-5% Microsoft would like us to believe.
    `----

    http://www.quicksavejunkie.com/2007/...e-rates-at-61/

    Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against MS For Bricked 360s

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to Gamespot, the suit seeks a minimum of $10 million in
    | damages, depending on how MS decides to defend itself.
    `----

    http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/law/cla...60s-220250.php

    Numerous Reports, November 30 Xbox 360 Update Is Bricking Consoles

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some consoles are being bricked by Thursday's dashboard update.
    | Issues range from freezing, red ring of death and VGA adapterm
    | alfunction. Microsoft isn't acknowledging the issue and billing
    | $140 for repairs.
    `----

    http://digg.com/gaming_news/Numerous...cking_Consoles

    Update brick your 360? Speak up

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since yesterday's update, there are numerous reports about 360s
    | being bricked. Some people suspect that this is being done by
    | Microsoft intentionally to stop modders and hackers. Xbox Scene
    | thinks it has more to do with certain combinations of hardware
    | and firmware.
    `----

    http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/11...-360-speak-up/

    Autoupdate killed my 360!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I was fine yesterday gaming with the VGA cable but after getting
    | the autoupdate today, I get a black screen. Does Microsoft test
    | these things? My connection to the TV didn't change yet its
    | screwed. Thanks for nothing Microsoft.
    `----

    http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=489979

    Loot: Redmond, We Have a Problem, Or, What's Wrong With the Xbox 360

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At this point, Former becomes impassioned. That's not fair, he says;
    | we always saw this as a long-term venture. To which we reply that we
    | were talking about the original Xbox, and while other divisions of
    | the company throw off more profits in a single quarter than the
    | entire $5 billion or so lost in the home and entertainment division
    | * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | to date, the fact remains that, as we take-our-word-for-it predicted,
    | the Xbox group has been spectacularly unprofitable for Microsoft.
    | Hence, our heretofore unpublished Vietnam analogy. The rest of the
    | night is a blur, but we digress.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The worst case scenario for Microsoft, then, is one in which the Xbox
    | 360's bid for the mass market is blocked by the Wii for the next two to
    | three years, at which point the aging and underpowered Wii gives way
    | to a cheaper-than-it-is-now PS3 with a selection of AAA titles that's
    | far wider than what the PS3 has at the moment; new installments of
    | Playstation's own popular and casual-leaning games; and a slew of
    | new franchises from Sony's much-larger studio operation.
    `----

    http://ncroal.talk.newsweek.com/default.asp?item=533168

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All UnitsDied Early

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 04:35:15 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Inside Source Reveal the Truth About Xbox 360 "Red Ring of Death"
    > Failures
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | It's around 30%, and all will probably fail early. This quarter
    > | they are expecting 1 M failures, most of those Xenons. Some of
    > | those are repeat failures.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives...h_failures.php
    >
    > The COLA trolls ridiculed those who claimed 30%. Monopoly boot
    > lickers and pathetic liars -- that's what the trolls are. The same
    > goes for back doors in Windows, which are /well/ beyond proven.
    >
    > XBox360 has been one BIG GIGANTIC fiasco which lost Microsoft
    > several $billions. Heads were rolling, too. The links below prove it
    > all.

    My son in law has had to return his 3 times. First time he took it to
    the shop he bought it from and was told he had to send it back to
    Microsoft via DHL or some such service. Each time it tooks weeks even
    though it was under warranty.

    I'm glad to see the PS3 doing well. It is still expensive but when you
    consider it has a blue-ray drive, will run Linux and is truly state of
    the art in games consoles the xbox360 already looks old.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    Tappit Hen writes:

    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 04:35:15 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Inside Source Reveal the Truth About Xbox 360 "Red Ring of Death"
    >> Failures
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | It's around 30%, and all will probably fail early. This quarter
    >> | they are expecting 1 M failures, most of those Xenons. Some of
    >> | those are repeat failures.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives...h_failures.php
    >>
    >> The COLA trolls ridiculed those who claimed 30%. Monopoly boot
    >> lickers and pathetic liars -- that's what the trolls are. The same
    >> goes for back doors in Windows, which are /well/ beyond proven.
    >>
    >> XBox360 has been one BIG GIGANTIC fiasco which lost Microsoft
    >> several $billions. Heads were rolling, too. The links below prove it
    >> all.

    > My son in law has had to return his 3 times. First time he took it to
    > the shop he bought it from and was told he had to send it back to
    > Microsoft via DHL or some such service. Each time it tooks weeks even
    > though it was under warranty.
    >
    > I'm glad to see the PS3 doing well. It is still expensive but when you
    > consider it has a blue-ray drive, will run Linux and is truly state of
    > the art in games consoles the xbox360 already looks old.

    Actually no. As far as playing video games go, there is very little
    difference between the XBox360 and the PS3. I too was surprised.

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer

    wrote
    on Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:22:41 +0000
    <32ff65-m9d.ln1@sky.matrix>:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >
    >> It sounds like what you might call a "Bungie jump".

    > [groan]

    Could be worse. A "jakes" is a form of outhouse or pit toilet.

    ;-)

    (And yes, it had to be said, in case anyone else brought it up.)

    Just to be bizarre, Wikipedia has an entry for
    Ralph Leonard, AP, Carlton "Jubel" Jakes
    when one types in
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakes .

    Q: Where did you want to go today?
    A: Not there, thank you.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. When it absolutely, positively, has to crash.

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    Tiki Weatherbee wrote:

    >Yet another

    *plonk*

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    * Tiki Weatherbee peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Yet another COLA idiot who spews made up bull**** as if it were fact. You
    > and Roy Schestowitz are surely buddies.
    >
    > http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...120132150.html
    >
    > [quote]
    > Playstation 3 20-Gig:
    > Manufacture cost = $805.85
    > Sale price = $499
    > Difference = $306.85 LOSS
    >
    > Playstation 3 60-Gig
    > Manufacture cost = $840.35
    > Sale price = $599
    > Difference = $241.35 LOSS
    >
    > XBox 360 20-Gig
    > Manufacture cost = $323
    > Sale price = $399
    > Difference = $75.70 *PROFIT*
    >
    > [-quote]

    Odd. Sony pays $125 for an optical drive, MS pays $20.
    Sony pays $500 for the mobo, MS pays $204.
    Sonly pays $40 for manufacturing costs, MS pays $6.

    Somebody's chintzing on the parts here.

    Or the company that does the "measurements" is suspect:

    http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/isuppli

    iSuppli
    Thursday, 26 July 2007

    iSuppli is a "market intelligence" company which, every
    time Apple releases a major new product, rips one apart and generates
    an estimated "bill of materials" for the costs of its
    components. Their estimates always seem to conclude that Apple is
    generating extraordinarily high profit margins, often in excess of 50
    percent. They issue press releases trumpeting their research, which
    are then parroted in "Look at Apple's crazy high profit
    margins!" stories all over the press.

    I'm calling bull****.

    Take, for example, their report on the iPhone, which claimed a $599 8
    GB iPhone costs Apple just $280 to produce. One problem with this is
    that they released this report in January, based not on a tear-down
    of an actual iPhone, but simply based on what they guessed was inside
    one.

    In early July, they took some actual iPhones apart, and, surprise
    surprise, concluded they were pretty much spot-on back in January,
    with Apple earning margins of 55 percent. Holy Kreskin!

    With amazing margins like this, no wonder several dozen news sites
    picked up the story, often with the emphasis that the iPhone is
    overpriced.

    Sound familiar, Tiki?

    --
    Children are unpredictable. You never know what inconsistency they're
    going to catch you in next.

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:tOrlj.57961$vt2.21430@bignews8.bellsouth.net. ..
    >* Tiki Weatherbee peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Yet another COLA idiot who spews made up bull**** as if it were fact. You
    >> and Roy Schestowitz are surely buddies.
    >>
    >> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...120132150.html
    >>
    >> [quote]
    >> Playstation 3 20-Gig:
    >> Manufacture cost = $805.85
    >> Sale price = $499
    >> Difference = $306.85 LOSS
    >>
    >> Playstation 3 60-Gig
    >> Manufacture cost = $840.35
    >> Sale price = $599
    >> Difference = $241.35 LOSS
    >>
    >> XBox 360 20-Gig
    >> Manufacture cost = $323
    >> Sale price = $399
    >> Difference = $75.70 *PROFIT*
    >>
    >> [-quote]

    > Odd. Sony pays $125 for an optical drive, MS pays $20.

    One is a BluRay drive. The other is a commodity DVD drive.

    > Sony pays $500 for the mobo, MS pays $204.

    One is a low volume mobo with cell processors. The other uses standard Intel
    processors.

    > Sonly pays $40 for manufacturing costs, MS pays $6.

    One is a simpler unit that is easier to automate assembly. The other is more
    complicated and requires more manual assembly.

    > Somebody's chintzing on the parts here.

    Somebody doesn't understand that a basic DVD drive costs a hell of a lot
    less than a BluRay drive.

    > Or the company that does the "measurements" is suspect:

    Or the person making the "suspect" claims is ignorant.

    > http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/isuppli
    >
    > iSuppli
    > Thursday, 26 July 2007
    >
    > iSuppli is a "market intelligence" company which, every
    > time Apple releases a major new product, rips one apart and generates
    > an estimated "bill of materials" for the costs of its
    > components. Their estimates always seem to conclude that Apple is
    > generating extraordinarily high profit margins, often in excess of 50
    > percent. They issue press releases trumpeting their research, which
    > are then parroted in "Look at Apple's crazy high profit
    > margins!" stories all over the press.
    >
    > I'm calling bull****.

    Everyone sees ignorance on your part.

    > Take, for example, their report on the iPhone, which claimed a $599 8
    > GB iPhone costs Apple just $280 to produce. One problem with this is
    > that they released this report in January, based not on a tear-down
    > of an actual iPhone, but simply based on what they guessed was inside
    > one.
    >
    > In early July, they took some actual iPhones apart, and, surprise
    > surprise, concluded they were pretty much spot-on back in January,
    > with Apple earning margins of 55 percent. Holy Kreskin!
    >
    > With amazing margins like this, no wonder several dozen news sites
    > picked up the story, often with the emphasis that the iPhone is
    > overpriced.
    >
    > Sound familiar, Tiki?

    Does what sound familiar? That like most "advocates" you have no clue what
    you're talking about but like to toss out unsubstantiated conspiracy
    theories.

    Unfortunately this is all to familiar.

    > --
    > Children are unpredictable. You never know what inconsistency they're
    > going to catch you in next.
    > -- Franklin P. Jones

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:
    > Odd. Sony pays $125 for an optical drive, MS pays $20.

    Not odd at all. The Sony drive is a Blu-Ray drive. The MS drive is a
    DVD drive.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    In article <47963ffb$0$26076$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    "Arland Fritz" wrote:
    > > Sony pays $500 for the mobo, MS pays $204.

    > One is a low volume mobo with cell processors. The other uses standard Intel
    > processors.

    Huh? XBox360 uses an IBM processor based on the PPC architecture. It
    is a custom part made for Microsoft, featuring three dual-threaded
    cores. You've confused it with the XBox, which was a commodity x86.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    "Tim Smith" wrote in message
    > In article <47963ffb$0$26076$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    > "Arland Fritz" wrote:
    >> > Sony pays $500 for the mobo, MS pays $204.

    >> One is a low volume mobo with cell processors. The other uses standard
    >> Intel
    >> processors.

    > Huh? XBox360 uses an IBM processor based on the PPC architecture. It
    > is a custom part made for Microsoft, featuring three dual-threaded
    > cores.

    How would you explain the price difference in the mobos?

    > You've confused it with the XBox, which was a commodity x86.

    Maybe. I don't follow gaming consoles that closely but I clearly confused it
    with something else.

  11. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    http://www.ripten.com/2007/07/03/fai...3-less-than-1/

    > And again:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_36...nical_problems
    >
    > And again, and again, and again:
    >
    > http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160603
    >
    > Until finally it bursts into flames:
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/23/xbox_blaze/
    >
    > Burns your house down, then kills your baby:
    >
    > http://slated.org/microsoft_kills_baby

    Damn! I just spit beer all over my monitor.... Good Post! Excellent!

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  12. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    > In article ,
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> Odd. Sony pays $125 for an optical drive, MS pays $20.

    > Not odd at all. The Sony drive is a Blu-Ray drive. The MS drive is a
    > DVD drive.

    My bad. The article called them all DVD drives, I think.

    --
    Acceptance testing:
    An unsuccessful attempt to find bugs.

  13. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    * Arland Fritz peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > How would you explain the price difference in the mobos?

    No Tiki no washee

    --
    Real Programmers don't eat quiche. They eat Twinkies and Szechwan food.

  14. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    In article <47964a51$0$25978$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    > > Huh? XBox360 uses an IBM processor based on the PPC architecture. It
    > > is a custom part made for Microsoft, featuring three dual-threaded
    > > cores.

    > How would you explain the price difference in the mobos?

    Could just be age. The numbers from iSupply were for when PS3 just came
    out. I think the XBox360 ones were for about a year after it had been
    out.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  15. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    On 2008-01-22, Linonut claimed:

    > Sound familiar, Tiki?

    When I was growing up, we called male genitalia "tiki".

    --
    You will pay for your sins. If you have already paid,
    please disregard this message.

  16. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    Jerry McBride writes:

    > [H]omer wrote:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> Odd. Sony pays $125 for an optical drive, MS pays $20.
    >>> Sony pays $500 for the mobo, MS pays $204.
    >>> Sonly pays $40 for manufacturing costs, MS pays $6.
    >>>
    >>> Somebody's chintzing on the parts here.

    >> Maybe that's why the exb0rks scratches discs:
    >>
    >> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rlQYkaXv8RU
    >>
    >> Then overheats:
    >>
    >> http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...xbox_suit.html
    >>
    >> Then crashes
    >>
    >> http://editorials.teamxbox.com/xbox/...g-of-Death/p1/
    >>
    >> Then breaks:
    >>
    >> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=56-gQq62Hyc
    >>
    >> Again:
    >>

    > http://www.ripten.com/2007/07/03/fai...3-less-than-1/
    >>
    >> And again:
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_36...nical_problems
    >>
    >> And again, and again, and again:
    >>
    >> http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160603
    >>
    >> Until finally it bursts into flames:
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/23/xbox_blaze/
    >>
    >> Burns your house down, then kills your baby:
    >>
    >> http://slated.org/microsoft_kills_baby
    >>

    > Damn! I just spit beer all over my monitor.... Good Post! Excellent!

    No you didn't. Don't listen to Omer's lies and bull****.

  17. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    Linonut writes:

    > * Tiki Weatherbee peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Yet another COLA idiot who spews made up bull**** as if it were fact. You
    >> and Roy Schestowitz are surely buddies.
    >>
    >> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...120132150.html
    >>
    >> [quote]
    >> Playstation 3 20-Gig:
    >> Manufacture cost = $805.85
    >> Sale price = $499
    >> Difference = $306.85 LOSS
    >>
    >> Playstation 3 60-Gig
    >> Manufacture cost = $840.35
    >> Sale price = $599
    >> Difference = $241.35 LOSS
    >>
    >> XBox 360 20-Gig
    >> Manufacture cost = $323
    >> Sale price = $399
    >> Difference = $75.70 *PROFIT*
    >>
    >> [-quote]

    > Odd. Sony pays $125 for an optical drive, MS pays $20.

    Liarnut, I have told you before to read the details before replying.

    You do know why there is this price discrepancy don't you? No? Well, no
    surprise there. Try searching here http://www.iuron.com

  18. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    Linonut writes:

    > * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>> Odd. Sony pays $125 for an optical drive, MS pays $20.

    >> Not odd at all. The Sony drive is a Blu-Ray drive. The MS drive is a
    >> DVD drive.

    > My bad. The article called them all DVD drives, I think.

    But yet again you come piling in with comments about something you know
    NOTHING about. It's why you're known as Liarnut.

  19. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:05:04 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > You do know why there is this price discrepancy don't you? No? Well, no
    > surprise there. Try searching here http://www.iuron.com

    WTF is that iuron thing?

  20. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:05:04 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> You do know why there is this price discrepancy don't you? No? Well, no
    >> surprise there. Try searching here http://www.iuron.com

    > WTF is that iuron thing?

    Roy has designed a prototype for a search engine to dethrone Google. But
    it appears the bearded masses haven't time to implement his vision just
    yet.

    Maybe Marti could ask his other OSS "heroes" to help Roy? I'm sure "Mad
    dog" Hall could give his design a good once over.

    I am particularly impressed by the UI "prototype. Really. Don't laugh:

    http://iuron.com/search/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast