[News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early - Linux ; On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:30:12 +0100, Hadron wrote: > Moshe Goldfarb writes: > >> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:05:04 +0100, Hadron wrote: >> >> >>> You do know why there is this price discrepancy don't you? No? Well, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:30:12 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:05:04 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >>

    >>> You do know why there is this price discrepancy don't you? No? Well, no
    >>> surprise there. Try searching here http://www.iuron.com

    >> WTF is that iuron thing?

    > Roy has designed a prototype for a search engine to dethrone Google. But
    > it appears the bearded masses haven't time to implement his vision just
    > yet.
    >
    > Maybe Marti could ask his other OSS "heroes" to help Roy? I'm sure "Mad
    > dog" Hall could give his design a good once over.
    >
    > I am particularly impressed by the UI "prototype. Really. Don't laugh:
    >
    > http://iuron.com/search/

    It appears Roy Schestowitz has found a new career as a paid spammer so he
    has to put that other thing on the back burner.
    I thought it was a joke at first.

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    Arland Fritz espoused:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:tOrlj.57961$vt2.21430@bignews8.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>* Tiki Weatherbee peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Yet another COLA idiot who spews made up bull**** as if it were fact. You
    >>> and Roy Schestowitz are surely buddies.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...120132150.html
    >>>
    >>> [quote]
    >>> Playstation 3 20-Gig:
    >>> Manufacture cost = $805.85
    >>> Sale price = $499
    >>> Difference = $306.85 LOSS
    >>>
    >>> Playstation 3 60-Gig
    >>> Manufacture cost = $840.35
    >>> Sale price = $599
    >>> Difference = $241.35 LOSS
    >>>
    >>> XBox 360 20-Gig
    >>> Manufacture cost = $323
    >>> Sale price = $399
    >>> Difference = $75.70 *PROFIT*
    >>>
    >>> [-quote]

    >> Odd. Sony pays $125 for an optical drive, MS pays $20.

    > One is a BluRay drive. The other is a commodity DVD drive.

    Nope, the figures above are utterly misleading, as they clearly show
    zero comprehension of production economics. Furthermore, MS is buying
    extremely expensive HD-DVD drives, these are expensive because nobody is
    buying them. Apart from MS, of course. Still further problems, it's
    the late addition of the HD-DVD drive which resulted in the removal of a
    critical heatsink.

    This heatsink is what causes Xbox360s to overheat and set on fire. That
    being the lack of the heatsink.

    Anyone who *ever* posts a fixed charge against a mass-produced object
    doesn't understand production economics.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    > Arland Fritz espoused:
    >>
    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> news:tOrlj.57961$vt2.21430@bignews8.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>>* Tiki Weatherbee peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Odd. Sony pays $125 for an optical drive, MS pays $20.

    >> One is a BluRay drive. The other is a commodity DVD drive.
    >>

    > Nope, the figures above are utterly misleading, as they clearly show
    > zero comprehension of production economics.

    So you're an expert in production economics?

    > Furthermore, MS is buying extremely expensive HD-DVD drives,
    > these are expensive because nobody is buying them.

    Do give Microsoft a call and tell them they are foolishly wasting millions
    of dollars. Seeing how utterly incompetent their purchases are they will
    probably give you a few $10's of millions for the suggestion.

    > Apart from MS, of course. Still further problems, it's
    > the late addition of the HD-DVD drive which resulted in the removal of a
    > critical heatsink.

    I never realized you were there during the design meeting when this change
    was approved.

    > This heatsink is what causes Xbox360s to overheat and set on fire. That
    > being the lack of the heatsink.

    Out of the 10's of millions that were sold, how many exactly caught on fire?

    > Anyone who *ever* posts a fixed charge against a mass-produced object
    > doesn't understand production economics.

    Obviously you don't seem to understand production economics either. Surely
    you are not foolish enough to suggest that you know more about this topic
    than a company like Microsoft.

    Microsoft seems to be doing just fine with the XBox360. As a matter of fact
    in the past 3-months this division made a small tidy profit of about $357
    million dollars. Not to shabby for a company that you claim pays too much
    for their components and doesn't understand production economics.

    http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/...1476&Type=HTML

    [quote]
    Revenue = $3.06 Billion
    Operating Income = $357 Million

    EDD (Entertainment and Devices Division) revenue increased during the three
    and six months ended December 31, 2007, primarily due to increased Xbox 360
    platform sales. During the three months ended December 31, 2007, Xbox
    platform and PC game revenue increased $115 million or 5% primarily as a
    result of increased Xbox 360 video game sales, Xbox Live revenue, and Xbox
    360 accessory sales, partially offset by decreased Xbox 360 console sales.
    Xbox platform and PC game revenue increased $1.0 billion or 35% during the
    six months ended December 31, 2007, as a result of increased Xbox 360
    console sales, video game sales led by Halo 3, Xbox Live revenues, and Xbox
    360 accessory sales. We shipped 4.3 million and 6.1 million Xbox 360
    consoles in the second quarter and first half of fiscal year 2008,
    respectively, as compared to 4.4 million and 5.4 million Xbox 360 consoles
    in the second quarter and first half of fiscal year 2007, respectively.

    EDD operating income increased during the three months ended December 31,
    2007, primarily due to the increased revenue, decreased cost of revenue, and
    decreased sales and marketing expenses. Cost of revenue decreased $523
    million or 22% during the three months ended December 31, 2007, primarily
    driven by *** DECREASED Xbox 360 MANUFACTURING COSTS. *** Sales and
    marketing expenses decreased $81 million or 16%, reflecting a decline in
    Xbox 360 platform marketing expenses. EDD operating income increased during
    the six months ended December 31, 2007, primarily due to the increased
    revenue. Headcount-related expenses increased 17% and 14% during the three
    and six months ended December 31, 2007, respectively, reflecting a 4%
    increase in headcount and an increase in salaries and benefits for existing
    headcount, partially offset by decreased stock-based compensation expense.

    [-quote]

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    Arland Fritz espoused:

    > "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >> Arland Fritz espoused:
    >>>
    >>> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>> news:tOrlj.57961$vt2.21430@bignews8.bellsouth.net. ..

    >>> One is a BluRay drive. The other is a commodity DVD drive.
    >>>

    >> Nope, the figures above are utterly misleading, as they clearly show
    >> zero comprehension of production economics.

    > So you're an expert in production economics?

    If an expert is defined as knowing more than those to whom one speaks,
    then the answer is demonstrably yes, Gary, I do.

    How's the new nym going - fooled anyone yet? Gary?

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    Linonut espoused:
    > * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>> Odd. Sony pays $125 for an optical drive, MS pays $20.

    >> Not odd at all. The Sony drive is a Blu-Ray drive. The MS drive is a
    >> DVD drive.

    > My bad. The article called them all DVD drives, I think.

    The MS one is an HD-DVD, I believe?

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    On 2008-01-25, Mark Kent wrote:
    > Linonut espoused:
    >> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Not odd at all. The Sony drive is a Blu-Ray drive. The MS drive is a
    >>> DVD drive.

    >> My bad. The article called them all DVD drives, I think.
    >>

    > The MS one is an HD-DVD, I believe?

    Nope. A regular DVD. The HD-DVD is a external add-on.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All UnitsDied Early

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:42:56 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > urthermore, MS is buying
    > extremely expensive HD-DVD drives, these are expensive because nobody is
    > buying them.

    Why's no one else buying them? Anyhow, the optical drive in the Xbox 360
    isn't HD-DVD, that's an add-on which connects with USB cable.

    -Thufir

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    Thufir espoused:
    > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:42:56 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> urthermore, MS is buying
    >> extremely expensive HD-DVD drives, these are expensive because nobody is
    >> buying them.

    > Why's no one else buying them? Anyhow, the optical drive in the Xbox 360
    > isn't HD-DVD, that's an add-on which connects with USB cable.

    Ah, okay. They dropped heatsink for just a DVD drive? That is worse
    than I thought. I was trying to be charitable, hoping they'd dropped
    the heatsink for something worth the risk.

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 25 January 2008 16:42 : \____

    > Arland Fritz espoused:
    >>
    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> news:tOrlj.57961$vt2.21430@bignews8.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>>* Tiki Weatherbee peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Odd. Sony pays $125 for an optical drive, MS pays $20.

    >> One is a BluRay drive. The other is a commodity DVD drive.
    >>

    > Nope, the figures above are utterly misleading, as they clearly show
    > zero comprehension of production economics. Furthermore, MS is buying
    > extremely expensive HD-DVD drives, these are expensive because nobody is
    > buying them. Apart from MS, of course. Still further problems, it's
    > the late addition of the HD-DVD drive which resulted in the removal of a
    > critical heatsink.
    >
    > This heatsink is what causes Xbox360s to overheat and set on fire. That
    > being the lack of the heatsink.
    >
    > Anyone who *ever* posts a fixed charge against a mass-produced object
    > doesn't understand production economics.

    That's Scott Douglas you're replying to.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Have you hugged your penguin today?
    roy pts/2 cg093a.halls.man Thu Jan 24 17:44 still logged in

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 25 January 2008 16:42 : \____
    >
    >> Arland Fritz espoused:
    >>>
    >>> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>> news:tOrlj.57961$vt2.21430@bignews8.bellsouth.net. ..

    >>> One is a BluRay drive. The other is a commodity DVD drive.
    >>>

    >> Nope, the figures above are utterly misleading, as they clearly show
    >> zero comprehension of production economics. Furthermore, MS is buying
    >> extremely expensive HD-DVD drives, these are expensive because nobody is
    >> buying them. Apart from MS, of course. Still further problems, it's
    >> the late addition of the HD-DVD drive which resulted in the removal of a
    >> critical heatsink.
    >>
    >> This heatsink is what causes Xbox360s to overheat and set on fire. That
    >> being the lack of the heatsink.
    >>
    >> Anyone who *ever* posts a fixed charge against a mass-produced object
    >> doesn't understand production economics.

    > That's Scott Douglas you're replying to.

    I was fairly sure... we seem to have a renewed drive from all of our
    shills/trolls going on at the moment. Presumably they have been given
    instructions.

  11. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    > Arland Fritz espoused:
    >>
    >> "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >>> Arland Fritz espoused:

    >>> Nope, the figures above are utterly misleading, as they clearly show
    >>> zero comprehension of production economics.

    >> So you're an expert in production economics?
    >>

    > If an expert is defined as knowing more than those to whom one speaks,
    > then the answer is demonstrably yes, Gary, I do.
    >
    > How's the new nym going - fooled anyone yet? Gary?

    What I see here is that you were bitch-slapped and put into your place with
    undisputable facts. So you coward away like chicken-snot and resort to some
    lame attempt at playing the nym-card.

    No problem "production economics expert" Mark Kent. You are clearly an
    idiot who is unable to deal with facts.

  12. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    Rondo Goldshlag espoused:

    > "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >> Arland Fritz espoused:
    >>>
    >>> "Mark Kent" wrote in message

    >>> So you're an expert in production economics?
    >>>

    >> If an expert is defined as knowing more than those to whom one speaks,
    >> then the answer is demonstrably yes, Gary, I do.
    >>
    >> How's the new nym going - fooled anyone yet? Gary?

    > What I see

    Is that perhaps you are Scott Douglas and not Gary Stewart?

    Buy yourself a copy of the FT and a copy of the Economist. It'll help
    you no end.

  13. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    > Rondo Goldshlag espoused:
    >>
    >> "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >>> Arland Fritz espoused:

    >>> If an expert is defined as knowing more than those to whom one speaks,
    >>> then the answer is demonstrably yes, Gary, I do.
    >>>
    >>> How's the new nym going - fooled anyone yet? Gary?

    >> What I see

    > Is that perhaps you are Scott Douglas and not Gary Stewart?

    Is it perhaps you are completely insane "production economics expert" Mark
    Kent? Only a complete idiot would claim that Microsoft is collapsing.

    > Buy yourself a copy of the FT and a copy of the Economist.
    > It'll help you no end.

    Buy yourself some psychiatric therapy. It'll help you no end.

  14. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 26 January 2008 14:41 : \____

    > Rondo Goldshlag espoused:
    >>
    >> "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >>> Arland Fritz espoused:

    >>> If an expert is defined as knowing more than those to whom one speaks,
    >>> then the answer is demonstrably yes, Gary, I do.
    >>>
    >>> How's the new nym going - fooled anyone yet? Gary?

    >> What I see

    > Is that perhaps you are Scott Douglas and not Gary Stewart?
    >
    > Buy yourself a copy of the FT and a copy of the Economist. It'll help
    > you no end.

    You can drop everything from Teranews with the exception of Ghost. I think he's
    the only regular that posts from there.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"
    Tasks: 105 total, 1 running, 104 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  15. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox360 Insider - 30% of All Units Died Early

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 26 January 2008 14:41 : \____
    >
    >> Rondo Goldshlag espoused:
    >>>
    >>> "Mark Kent" wrote in message

    >>> What I see

    >> Is that perhaps you are Scott Douglas and not Gary Stewart?
    >>
    >> Buy yourself a copy of the FT and a copy of the Economist. It'll help
    >> you no end.

    > You can drop everything from Teranews with the exception of Ghost. I think he's
    > the only regular that posts from there.

    I don't really like to do that... but it might be sensible. Ghost is
    already marked up, anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2