[News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture - Linux ; Lessig's last Free Culture talk, Stanford, Jan 31 ,----[ Quote ] | Last June, Larry announced that he was switching tacks. The problems of | copyright, he said, were a subset of the larger problem of corruption: | capture of ...

  1. [News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture

    Lessig's last Free Culture talk, Stanford, Jan 31

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Last June, Larry announced that he was switching tacks. The problems of
    | copyright, he said, were a subset of the larger problem of corruption:
    | capture of the regulatory process by special interests to the detriment of
    | society as a whole. So Larry was going to fight corruption instead.
    `----

    http://www.boingboing.net/2008/01/16...t-free-cu.html

    Copyright Extensions and ISP Filtering: Breaking EU Culture, One Amendment at a
    Time

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As you may recall, the European Parliament's forthcoming report on the
    | Cultural Industries has become the latest target of lobbying by the recording
    | industry. First, they attempted to insert language that advocated that
    | European ISPs filter and block their own users on the basis of suspected
    | infringement. As we explained to European Members of Parliament, such
    | policies would not only harm the privacy and security of Net users - they
    | would not even work to combat infringement. Like DRM, everyone would lose,
    | including the music industry and artists that IFPI seeks to protect.
    `----

    http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/01...amendment-time
    http://tinyurl.com/2sk3ux

    Related:

    Malls may not regulate content of free speech, says California Supreme Court

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While a mall has the right to regulate where and when a free speech activity
    | like leaflet distribution can take place, it cannot regulate what is said or
    | written, the California Supreme Court says in its ruling Monday. ¬*
    `----

    http://centralvalleybusinesstimes.co...s/001/?ID=7366

  2. Re: [News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:07:26 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    >> Lessig's last Free Culture talk, Stanford, Jan 31

    > Here's a great interview with Lessig on the subject:
    >
    > http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8

    God that guy is even more boring to listen to than Roy Schestowitz!

    Judge for yourself. Here is Roy Schestowitz:
    http://www.linux.com/feature/122470

    (Make certain to drink LOT'S of cafe before listening)

  3. Re: [News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture

    [H]omer espoused:

    >> Lessig's last Free Culture talk, Stanford, Jan 31

    > Here's a great interview with Lessig on the subject:
    >
    > http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8

    To take on Corruption is a brave, brave thing to do. I wish him the
    very best of luck.

  4. Re: [News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture

    ____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 20 January 2008 21:22 : \____

    > [H]omer espoused:
    >>
    >>> Lessig's last Free Culture talk, Stanford, Jan 31

    >> Here's a great interview with Lessig on the subject:
    >>
    >> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8
    >>

    > To take on Corruption is a brave, brave thing to do. I wish him the
    > very best of luck.

    Before he started this whole thing he was already attacked in his blog. He said
    this in that item titled "the next 10 years" (IIRC). As a professor, all the
    false accusations were damaging to him. I think he grew thick skin and it'll
    be interesting to see how much corruption he'll expose in years to come.
    Vis-a-vis corruption, the BBC's DG questioning (transcripts) is up on Groklaw
    now. Tough crowd.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: sheep outnumber people in NZ
    run-level 2 2008-01-18 14:24 last=

  5. Re: [News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 20 January 2008 21:22 : \____
    >
    >> [H]omer espoused:

    >>> Here's a great interview with Lessig on the subject:
    >>>
    >>> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8
    >>>

    >> To take on Corruption is a brave, brave thing to do. I wish him the
    >> very best of luck.

    > Before he started this whole thing he was already attacked in his blog. He said
    > this in that item titled "the next 10 years" (IIRC). As a professor, all the
    > false accusations were damaging to him. I think he grew thick skin and it'll
    > be interesting to see how much corruption he'll expose in years to come.
    > Vis-a-vis corruption, the BBC's DG questioning (transcripts) is up on Groklaw
    > now. Tough crowd.

    This is going to be a serious battle. Just consider how much is spent
    on having a shilcosystem for here, Digg and so on... look at the
    resources which were turned on groklaw. There are vested interests here
    with serious wealth, and they're going to fight in order to keep it.

  6. Re: [News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture

    "[H]omer" writes:

    >> Vis-a-vis corruption, the BBC's DG questioning (transcripts) is up on
    >> Groklaw now. Tough crowd.

    > Yes I just read it.
    >
    > The official figure for the iPlayer is now ... *£131 million*.

    You do realise that this is not just for the player?

    Probably not.

  7. Re: [News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture

    [H]omer espoused:

    >> Vis-a-vis corruption, the BBC's DG questioning (transcripts) is up on
    >> Groklaw now. Tough crowd.

    > Yes I just read it.
    >
    > The official figure for the iPlayer is now ... *£131 million*.
    >
    > .----
    >| We asked the BBC for clarification concerning the cost discrepancy.
    >| In a statement, the BBC said:
    >|
    >| The figures for the total estimated spend on the BBC's
    >| on-demand proposals are as follows:
    >|
    >| * £131 million was the forecast for the total cost to the
    >| BBC for its on-demand proposal over a five year period
    >| (start 2006/07). This includes rights costs and other
    >| operational and technical costs.
    >| * The £4.5 million discussed in November was the total
    >| spend at the time for the development of BBC iPlayer.
    >| * However, this figure now stands at £5.7 million. The
    >| increase is due to current year spend now being included
    >| in the figure.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...80120181708684

    Sh*t, what on earth were they thinking about? They have Dirac, an
    excellent, free codec of their own development, there is Helix out
    there, there is ogg.

    Also, experience shows that these figures are usually significantly
    underestimated, so it would likely have been much higher. Perhaps we've
    managed to stop one of the biggest licence-fee drains any BBC employees
    have ever come up with, and the biggest disaster so far for the
    untrustworthy trustees.

  8. Re: [News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom,Culture

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:38:07 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    >> Vis-a-vis corruption, the BBC's DG questioning (transcripts) is up on
    >> Groklaw now. Tough crowd.

    > Yes I just read it.
    >
    > The official figure for the iPlayer is now ... *£131 million*.

    Why lie?

    > .----
    > | We asked the BBC for clarification concerning the cost discrepancy.
    > | In a statement, the BBC said:
    > |
    > | The figures for the total estimated spend on the BBC's
    > | on-demand proposals are as follows:
    > |
    > | * £131 million was the forecast for the total cost to the
    > | BBC for its on-demand proposal over a five year period
    > | (start 2006/07). This includes rights costs and other
    > | operational and technical costs.
    > | * The £4.5 million discussed in November was the total
    > | spend at the time for the development of BBC iPlayer.
    > | * However, this figure now stands at £5.7 million. The
    > | increase is due to current year spend now being included
    > | in the figure.
    > `----

    As you quoted the article I thought you would have read it. How does
    £5.7 million become £131 million? The £131 million covers bandwidth
    costs for providing the service, data storage, rights costs, ... over
    a 5 year period (26.2 million / year). These costs would apply no
    matter what client the BBC chose.

    I'm as opposed to the MSBBC iplayer as both you and Mark are but lying
    isn't the way to win your argument. Suggesting that the £131 million
    is going into Microsoft's coffers is a lie.

  9. Re: [News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture

    ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 27 January 2008 19:10 : \____

    > For one thing, where is the /specific/ breakdown of precisely how much
    > the BBC has paid Microsoft?

    This is not the first time that they change definitions to escape the issue and
    then try to change the subject. Last week Groklaw caught some guy (partner, I
    think) referring to iPlayer as a success, but that person neglected to say
    that iPlayer was in fact huge failure and it was the Flash thingie that
    proved to be /EIGHT/ times more popular. Pay careful attention to this because
    the BBC /LIES/ when it says that Flash was always part of the plan and
    it /LIES/ when it calls the Flash thing "iPlayer".

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"
    Tasks: 105 total, 1 running, 104 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  10. Re: [News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture

    ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 27 January 2008 19:10 : \____

    > It is also interesting to note, that these streams are not encrypted
    > (and can be ripped), which raises the question of the BBC's claim, that
    > their "content providers" insistence that all content must be
    > "protected" with DRM was intractable. Obviously *that* was a lie too.

    Oh, I hit the reply button too fast. Now that I've read all the rest, the above
    is definitely worth adding as another big lie.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"
    12:00:01 up 3 days, 21:54, 2 users, load average: 0.50, 1.20, 1.34

  11. Re: [News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 27 January 2008 19:10 : \____
    >
    >> It is also interesting to note, that these streams are not encrypted
    >> (and can be ripped), which raises the question of the BBC's claim, that
    >> their "content providers" insistence that all content must be
    >> "protected" with DRM was intractable. Obviously *that* was a lie too.

    > Oh, I hit the reply button too fast. Now that I've read all the rest, the above
    > is definitely worth adding as another big lie.

    Considering that they broadcast this stuff en-clair on satellite and
    terrestrial tv and radio, it always was quite untrue. It was just "yet
    another excuse" that the BBC-Microsoft crowd could trot-out for their
    wasteage of £millions of licence-fee cash.