KDE Commit Digest - Issue 93 - 13th January 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Why add compositing support to KWin when Compiz is better?
|
| There can be different ideas about what better means, but regardless of that,
| the main aim of KWin is not to replace Compiz. Many users have asked for
| compositing support in KDE, and, as explained in "Why not Compiz?", the best
| way to achieve that is considered to be adding compositing support to KWin.
| KWin aims to provide compositing support, focusing on providing useful
| compositing features and basic visual effects, while keeping its other
| strengths.
|
| Here is a video, shown in Aaron Seigo's keynote at the KDE 4.0 Release Event
| (recorded by Korneliusz of jarzebski.pl), showing the new functionality of
| the KDE 4.0 KWin
`----

http://commit-digest.org/issues/2

Even KWin effects are better than one you find in Vista (arguably Leopard as
well).

Related:

KDE 4.0.0 - KWin Composite Showcast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrFz7IxXppU

KDE4 Desktop Effects (KWin Composite) Video Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve now updated to the latest openSUSE KDE4 Packages and got another video
| (first one being: KDE 4.0 RC1+ Video Tour) to add, and it’s one all about the
| new KDE 4.0 KWin composite; that is, the new desktop effects that will be
| available with KDE 4.0.
`----

http://francis.giannaros.org/blog/20...te-video-tour/

KDE Project Day at FOSS.IN/2007

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE will be participating at FOSS.IN/2007, India's premier FOSS event in
| Bangalore. KDE Project Day is this Wednesday 5th December.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1196683982/

Playing around with KWin 4

,----[ Quote ]
| The first one is of the PresentWindows effect and the second one is of the
| DesktopGrid effect
`----

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2007/...d-with-kwin-4/

Report: KDE at The Italian Linux Day 2007 in Rome

,----[ Quote ]
| On October 27th, KDE Italia attended the Italian Linux Day 2007 in Rome at
| the Tor Vergata University. Other cities had their Linux Day throughout Italy
| at the same time. For the people that have never attended to these kind of
| events, it is important to remember that the Italian Linux Day is a day
| dedicated to spreading Free and Open Source Software and specially the
| GNU/Linux Operating System and its software components such as KDE.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1194921052/

KWin improvements

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking of KWin crashes, we're planning to make KWin restart itself in such
| cases (just like Plasma or KRunner) and eventually turn off compositing so
| that you'd always have a usable window manager, even when compositing has
| some problems.
`----

http://rivolaks.blogspot.com/2007/09...rovements.html

KDE4 is very attractive for software service companies

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2913