[News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3! - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3! - Linux ; Trolltech to adopt GPL 3 for Qt ,----[ Quote ] | Trolltech CEO Haavard Nord announced today at the KDE developer conference | that the company's cross-platform open source Qt application development | toolkit will be released under the GPL ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    Trolltech to adopt GPL 3 for Qt

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Trolltech CEO Haavard Nord announced today at the KDE developer conference
    | that the company's cross-platform open source Qt application development
    | toolkit will be released under the GPL 3. This move, which comes shortly
    | after the release of KDE 4.0 (watch for our review on Sunday night), will
    | allow the open source desktop environment to adopt the new version of the
    | GPL.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...t-gpl-3-for-qt

    Hey, Peter, you're still using KDE, right? Preparing to become what you
    call "hippies"? :-) Trolltech is a respectable and successful company and it
    chose the GPLv3.

    Related:

    GPL v3 Year in Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We welcome 2008 with open arms as we say goodbye to 2007. Looking back, since
    | the release of the GPL v3, the license has grow quickly and consistently
    `----

    http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2007/12/gpl...in-review.html

    Free Software Foundation Releases GNU Affero General Public License Version 3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Free Software Foundation (FSF) today published the GNU Affero General
    | Public License version 3 (GNU AGPLv3). This is a new license; it is based on
    | version 3 of the GNU General Public License (GNU GPLv3), but has an
    | additional term to allow users who interact with the licensed software over a
    | network to receive the source for that program. By publishing this license,
    | the FSF aims to foster user and development communities around
    | network-oriented free software. ¬* ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.fsf.org/agplv3-pr

    A Quick Guide to GPLv3

    http://www.fsf.org/licensing/license...ide-gplv3.html

    Mark Webbink On: GPLv3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This week Mark Webbink, former Red Hat General Counsel discusses the GPLv3
    | and talks about the limits of sharing, the mellowing out of Linus Torvalds, ¬*
    | and issues with the LGPLv3.
    `----

    http://truthhappens.redhatmagazine.c...plv3/#comments

    Sun tiptoes into GPLv3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sun Microsystems will release its xVM Ops Center virtualisation management
    | application under the General Public Licence version 3 (GPLv3), the company
    | revealed at the Oracle OpenWorld conference in San Francisco. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...-tiptoes-gplv3

    Why does Microsoft seem scared of GPLv3?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is extremely keen to avoid "legal debate" over whether its recent
    | partnerships with Linux firms such as Novell, Xandros, and Linspire, mean
    | Redmond must assume any of the new licenses' legal obligations. ¬*
    `----

    FSF Says GPLv3 Means Microsoft Patent Protection for All

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's covenant not to sue users of Novell's SUSE Linux
    | Enterprise will be extended to all General Public License v3
    | users as soon as Novell includes GPLv3 code within its Linux
    | distribution, according to the Free Software Foundation.
    `----

    http://www.computerwire.com/industri...5-9939E5829EFC

  2. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    > Trolltech to adopt GPL 3 for Qt
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Trolltech CEO Haavard Nord announced today at the KDE developer conference
    >| that the company's cross-platform open source Qt application development
    >| toolkit will be released under the GPL 3. This move, which comes shortly
    >| after the release of KDE 4.0 (watch for our review on Sunday night), will
    >| allow the open source desktop environment to adopt the new version of the
    >| GPL.
    > `----
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...t-gpl-3-for-qt
    >
    > Hey, Peter, you're still using KDE, right? Preparing to become what you
    > call "hippies"? :-) Trolltech is a respectable and successful company and it
    > chose the GPLv3.

    Now now, Roy, you're trolling Peter deliberately .

    Now quit fightin'. I love ya both, I mean it, now get outta here!

    --
    Only two groups of people fall for flattery -- men and women.

  3. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    ____/ Linonut on Saturday 19 January 2008 16:46 : \____

    >> Trolltech to adopt GPL 3 for Qt
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Trolltech CEO Haavard Nord announced today at the KDE developer conference
    >>| that the company's cross-platform open source Qt application development
    >>| toolkit will be released under the GPL 3. This move, which comes shortly
    >>| after the release of KDE 4.0 (watch for our review on Sunday night), will
    >>| allow the open source desktop environment to adopt the new version of the
    >>| GPL.
    >> `----

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...t-gpl-3-for-qt

    >> Hey, Peter, you're still using KDE, right? Preparing to become what you
    >> call "hippies"? :-) Trolltech is a respectable and successful company and it
    >> chose the GPLv3.

    > Now now, Roy, you're trolling Peter deliberately .

    I added a smiley to ensure I don't get the classic "Idiot." reply.

    > Now quit fightin'. I love ya both, I mean it, now get outta here!

    It's all about choice as freedom (as long as you don't take my choice and
    freedom away from me).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | #FFFFFFF4 ADD &R1, "9999999", &BankAccount
    roy pts/2 cg093a.halls.man Fri Jan 18 17:22 still logged in

  4. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    Roy Schestowitz writes:

    > ____/ Linonut on Saturday 19 January 2008 16:46 : \____
    >
    >> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Trolltech to adopt GPL 3 for Qt
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...t-gpl-3-for-qt
    >>>
    >>> Hey, Peter, you're still using KDE, right? Preparing to become what you
    >>> call "hippies"? :-) Trolltech is a respectable and successful company and it
    >>> chose the GPLv3.

    >> Now now, Roy, you're trolling Peter deliberately .

    > I added a smiley to ensure I don't get the classic "Idiot." reply.
    >
    >> Now quit fightin'. I love ya both, I mean it, now get outta here!

    > It's all about choice as freedom (as long as you don't take my choice and
    > freedom away from me).

    And yet it was you scurrilously threatening Tim Smith with the Police
    for "stalking" you. My god! Does your hypocrisy know no bounds? If want
    to be worried about "stalking" you need to worry about Marti. I shink
    shat he ish een luv wish ewe.

  5. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:09:18 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >
    >> ____/ Linonut on Saturday 19 January 2008 16:46 : \____
    >>
    >>> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...t-gpl-3-for-qt

    >>> Now now, Roy, you're trolling Peter deliberately .

    >> I added a smiley to ensure I don't get the classic "Idiot." reply.
    >>
    >>> Now quit fightin'. I love ya both, I mean it, now get outta here!

    >> It's all about choice as freedom (as long as you don't take my choice and
    >> freedom away from me).

    > And yet it was you scurrilously threatening Tim Smith with the Police
    > for "stalking" you. My god! Does your hypocrisy know no bounds? If want
    > to be worried about "stalking" you need to worry about Marti. I shink
    > shat he ish een luv wish ewe.

    What erroneous thoughts give you that silly idea?

    --
    Kier

  6. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    Kier writes:

    > On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:09:18 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Linonut on Saturday 19 January 2008 16:46 : \____

    >>> http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...t-gpl-3-for-qt

    >>> I added a smiley to ensure I don't get the classic "Idiot." reply.

    >>> It's all about choice as freedom (as long as you don't take my choice and
    >>> freedom away from me).

    >> And yet it was you scurrilously threatening Tim Smith with the Police
    >> for "stalking" you. My god! Does your hypocrisy know no bounds? If want
    >> to be worried about "stalking" you need to worry about Marti. I shink
    >> shat he ish een luv wish ewe.

    > What erroneous thoughts give you that silly idea?

    Let's see :

    attracted to same sex: check
    member of minority underground movement : check (both of them).
    liable to mindless outbursts : check (both of them)
    makes posters of Roy : check

    All to their own mind you and I wish them well :-;

  7. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    "Kier" schreef in bericht
    newsan.2008.01.19.18.13.02.617139@tiscali.co.uk...
    > On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:09:18 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Linonut on Saturday 19 January 2008 16:46 : \____

    >>> http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...t-gpl-3-for-qt

    >>> I added a smiley to ensure I don't get the classic "Idiot." reply.

    >>> It's all about choice as freedom (as long as you don't take my choice
    >>> and
    >>> freedom away from me).

    >> And yet it was you scurrilously threatening Tim Smith with the Police
    >> for "stalking" you. My god! Does your hypocrisy know no bounds? If want
    >> to be worried about "stalking" you need to worry about Marti. I shink
    >> shat he ish een luv wish ewe.

    > What erroneous thoughts give you that silly idea?

    Obvious, huh! His gay lovers are on that Hackwerk pic!
    http://bp0.blogger.com/_dQCKkApAq-Q/...ackwerk2_2.png

    > --
    > Kier

  8. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    Hey Linonut silly, *of course* the GPLv3 is a better tool (than GPLv2)
    to bluff the customers into buying proprietary Trolltech's licenses.

    http://trolltech.com/products/qt/licenses/licensing

    "The Qt Commercial License is the correct license to use for the
    development of proprietary, commercial software with Qt or Qt Jambi."

    Pretty much the same business model as MySQL.

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "Plaintiffsí copyrights are unique and valuable property whose market
    value is impossible to assess"

    -- SOFTWARE FREEDOM LAW CENTER, INC.

  9. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    "Clogwog" writes:

    > "Kier" schreef in bericht
    > newsan.2008.01.19.18.13.02.617139@tiscali.co.uk...

    >>> And yet it was you scurrilously threatening Tim Smith with the Police
    >>> for "stalking" you. My god! Does your hypocrisy know no bounds? If want
    >>> to be worried about "stalking" you need to worry about Marti. I shink
    >>> shat he ish een luv wish ewe.

    >> What erroneous thoughts give you that silly idea?

    > Obvious, huh! His gay lovers are on that Hackwerk pic!
    > http://bp0.blogger.com/_dQCKkApAq-Q/...ackwerk2_2.png

    *shudder*

    It's a bit like that chappy in Bodyguard with all the pictures of
    Whitney in his "secret room" or that guy who likes dressing up in
    women's skin in Silence Of The Lambs.

    "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again"

    Brrrr...

  10. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    "Hadron" schreef in bericht
    > "Clogwog" writes:
    >
    >> "Kier" schreef in bericht
    >> newsan.2008.01.19.18.13.02.617139@tiscali.co.uk...

    >>> What erroneous thoughts give you that silly idea?

    >> Obvious, huh! His gay lovers are on that Hackwerk pic!
    >> http://bp0.blogger.com/_dQCKkApAq-Q/...ackwerk2_2.png

    > *shudder*
    >
    > It's a bit like that chappy in Bodyguard with all the pictures of
    > Whitney in his "secret room" or that guy who likes dressing up in
    > women's skin in Silence Of The Lambs.
    >
    > "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again"
    >
    > Brrrr...

    It's pretty inspiring though, I finished that pic with Roy & Mark. They are
    just like Ernie & Bert from our Dutch Sesamstraat (
    http://www.sesamstraat.nl/frameset/k.../overzicht.htm ). Bert is
    always parroting Ernie ;-)
    http://www.angelfire.com/psy/doctorbill/Hacwerk2_3.jpg

  11. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:23:31 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Kier writes:

    >>> And yet it was you scurrilously threatening Tim Smith with the Police
    >>> for "stalking" you. My god! Does your hypocrisy know no bounds? If want
    >>> to be worried about "stalking" you need to worry about Marti. I shink
    >>> shat he ish een luv wish ewe.

    >> What erroneous thoughts give you that silly idea?

    > Let's see :
    >
    > attracted to same sex: check

    So? Roy isn't gay, even if Marti is, and even if both were gay that
    doesn't mean they have any attraction, nor does it prove you silly
    stalking nonsense.

    > member of minority underground movement : check (both of them).

    So? Bot you and I are also members of that movement - you are supposed to
    be a Linux advocate, aren't you?

    > liable to mindless outbursts : check (both of them)

    Not so. That's how you like to spin it.

    > makes posters of Roy : check

    No, of those people in the FOSS movement he admires. Get your facts right.

    > All to their own mind you and I wish them well :-;

    No, you don't, or you'd keep your mouth shut and your inuendo to yourself.

    --
    Kier

  12. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    * Alexander Terekhov peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Hey Linonut silly, *of course* the GPLv3 is a better tool (than GPLv2)
    > to bluff the customers into buying proprietary Trolltech's licenses.
    >
    > http://trolltech.com/products/qt/licenses/licensing
    >
    > "The Qt Commercial License is the correct license to use for the
    > development of proprietary, commercial software with Qt or Qt Jambi."
    >
    > Pretty much the same business model as MySQL.

    I see you've graduated to a version 3 troll now.

    One problem with you, dude, is your posts are too mushy to get anything
    across.

    --
    Error in operator: add beer

  13. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:10:54 +0000, Kier wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:23:31 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Kier writes:

    >>> What erroneous thoughts give you that silly idea?

    >> Let's see :
    >>
    >> attracted to same sex: check

    > So? Roy isn't gay, even if Marti is, and even if both were gay that
    > doesn't mean they have any attraction, nor does it prove you silly
    > stalking nonsense.

    How do you know that Roy isn't gay?
    (Not that it matters BTW)

    >> member of minority underground movement : check (both of them).

    > So? Bot you and I are also members of that movement - you are supposed to
    > be a Linux advocate, aren't you?
    >
    >> liable to mindless outbursts : check (both of them)

    > Not so. That's how you like to spin it.
    >
    >> makes posters of Roy : check

    > No, of those people in the FOSS movement he admires. Get your facts right.
    >

    >> All to their own mind you and I wish them well :-;

    > No, you don't, or you'd keep your mouth shut and your inuendo to yourself.

    Ooooo I love it when you talk dirty!

  14. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    Hadron wrote:

    > "Clogwog" writes:
    >
    >> "Kier" schreef in bericht
    >> newsan.2008.01.19.18.13.02.617139@tiscali.co.uk...

    trolltech-to-adopt-gpl-3-for-qt

    >>> What erroneous thoughts give you that silly idea?

    >> Obvious, huh! His gay lovers are on that Hackwerk pic!
    >> http://bp0.blogger.com/_dQCKkApAq-Q/...Bc/qV0KQv2iRqA

    s1600-h/Hackwerk2_2.png

    > *shudder*
    >
    > It's a bit like that chappy in Bodyguard with all the pictures of
    > Whitney in his "secret room" or that guy who likes dressing up in
    > women's skin in Silence Of The Lambs.
    >
    > "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again"
    >
    > Brrrr...

    Sounds like you and clog the duck fscker need to go on a date.
    Many happy romantic quacks to you both.
    Please don't post any more pictures or videos of your sordid encounters.
    No one is interested for any reason.

  15. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    "Moshe Goldfarb" schreef in bericht
    > On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:10:54 +0000, Kier wrote:

    >>> Let's see :
    >>>
    >>> attracted to same sex: check

    >> So? Roy isn't gay, even if Marti is, and even if both were gay that
    >> doesn't mean they have any attraction, nor does it prove you silly
    >> stalking nonsense.

    > How do you know that Roy isn't gay?
    > (Not that it matters BTW)
    >

    >>> member of minority underground movement : check (both of them).

    >> So? Bot you and I are also members of that movement - you are supposed to
    >> be a Linux advocate, aren't you?
    >>
    >>> liable to mindless outbursts : check (both of them)

    >> Not so. That's how you like to spin it.
    >>
    >>> makes posters of Roy : check

    >> No, of those people in the FOSS movement he admires. Get your facts
    >> right.
    >>

    >>> All to their own mind you and I wish them well :-;

    >> No, you don't, or you'd keep your mouth shut and your inuendo to
    >> yourself.

    > Ooooo I love it when you talk dirty!

    ROFL

  16. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer Kutloze Scheefgepoepte fraudulently wrote on behalf
    of micoshaft corporation:

    > And here we have it: another "thorough analysis" of the COLA regular and
    > linux advocate, "7".

    When you stop spliffing you will stop hallucinating
    and may be then you become able to join together words
    to write a semi meaningful sentence.

  17. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Trolltech to adopt GPL 3 for Qt
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Trolltech CEO Haavard Nord announced today at the KDE developer conference
    > | that the company's cross-platform open source Qt application development
    > | toolkit will be released under the GPL 3. This move, which comes shortly
    > | after the release of KDE 4.0 (watch for our review on Sunday night), will
    > | allow the open source desktop environment to adopt the new version of the
    > | GPL.
    > `----
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...t-gpl-3-for-qt

    The lame article (no reference to Roy) doesn't mention the commercial
    way of licensing Qt. Has that changed? It seems you still have to pay
    for a license if you want to use Qt to develop commercial software. Can
    anybody verify that?

    Hard to get comfortable with a product whose logo looks so much like a
    hammer and sickle.

  18. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    Matt writes:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Trolltech to adopt GPL 3 for Qt
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Trolltech CEO Haavard Nord announced today at the KDE developer
    >> conference | that the company's cross-platform open source Qt
    >> application development | toolkit will be released under the GPL
    >> 3. This move, which comes shortly | after the release of KDE 4.0
    >> (watch for our review on Sunday night), will | allow the open source
    >> desktop environment to adopt the new version of the | GPL. `----
    >>
    >> http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...t-gpl-3-for-qt

    > The lame article (no reference to Roy) doesn't mention the commercial
    > way of licensing Qt. Has that changed? It seems you still have to
    > pay for a license if you want to use Qt to develop commercial
    > software. Can anybody verify that?

    If you didn't how else would they have a CEO?

    (ps, what commercial apps? The secret bespoke ones that people like
    Liarnut develop?)

  19. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    Hadron wrote:
    > Matt writes:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Trolltech to adopt GPL 3 for Qt
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> conference | that the company's cross-platform open source Qt
    >>> application development | toolkit will be released under the GPL
    >>> 3. This move, which comes shortly | after the release of KDE 4.0
    >>> (watch for our review on Sunday night), will | allow the open source
    >>> desktop environment to adopt the new version of the | GPL. `----
    >>>
    >>> http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...t-gpl-3-for-qt

    >> The lame article (no reference to Roy) doesn't mention the commercial
    >> way of licensing Qt. Has that changed? It seems you still have to
    >> pay for a license if you want to use Qt to develop commercial
    >> software. Can anybody verify that?

    > If you didn't how else would they have a CEO?
    >
    > (ps, what commercial apps? The secret bespoke ones that people like
    > Liarnut develop?)

    Does Google Earth count?

  20. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    [H]omer wrote:

    >> Hard to get comfortable with a product whose logo looks so much like
    >> a hammer and sickle.

    > Somehow I think that if they were Communists, they wouldn't be selling
    > commercial licenses for profit. Having such a reaction to a mere logo is
    > quite irrational.

    Bless yore little ol' pea pickin' heart.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast