[News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3! - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3! - Linux ; ____/ Matt on Sunday 20 January 2008 22:46 : \____ > Hadron wrote: >> Matt writes: >> >>> Roy Schestowitz wrote: >>>> Trolltech to adopt GPL 3 for Qt >>>> >>>> ,----[ Quote ] >>>> | Trolltech CEO Haavard Nord ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

  1. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...t-gpl-3-for-qt
    >>> The lame article (no reference to Roy) doesn't mention the commercial
    >>> way of licensing Qt. Has that changed? It seems you still have to
    >>> pay for a license if you want to use Qt to develop commercial
    >>> software. Can anybody verify that?

    >> If you didn't how else would they have a CEO?
    >>
    >> (ps, what commercial apps? The secret bespoke ones that people like
    >> Liarnut develop?)

    > Does Google Earth count?

    We are using Qt almost exclusively in this department. It comes with excellent
    development tools. Back when I was programming with GTK and even use Glade to
    simplify things, it wasn't quite as good as Qt, but that was quite a long time
    and I haven't used GTK for years (it was 1.2 and 2.0 at the time).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "World ends in five minutes - please log out"
    Tasks: 104 total, 1 running, 102 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie

  2. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    Matt writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Matt writes:

    >>> The lame article (no reference to Roy) doesn't mention the commercial
    >>> way of licensing Qt. Has that changed? It seems you still have to
    >>> pay for a license if you want to use Qt to develop commercial
    >>> software. Can anybody verify that?

    >> If you didn't how else would they have a CEO?
    >>
    >> (ps, what commercial apps? The secret bespoke ones that people like
    >> Liarnut develop?)

    > Does Google Earth count?

    As one such app, yes. How many copies did you buy?

    Hands up all Linux users here who paid for the commercial version.

  3. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:08:36 GMT, Matt wrote:

    > I solved that problem years ago by filling the space under my bed with
    > crates full of old HUAC reports.
    >
    > You seem to have missed the irony that you are so much like McCarthy's
    > ghost in the way you without good reason repeatedly labeled me as a troll.
    >
    > I am not now, nor have I ever been ...

    That's funny...
    The problem with many of these so called Linux advocates is that they are
    on a mission, a religious mission, where they will take no prisoners.
    IOW you are either with them 100 percent or you are the enemy.

    This is an extremely dangerous method to employ especially when you don't
    have the ammunition and armor to sustain battle.

    A better approach, at this juncture in Linux's development, is to accept
    what you can get, build upon it and work slowly, patiently and thoroughly
    toward your goals.

    An example is Xandros, Novel, Linspire and hardware companies that DO write
    Linux drivers but keep them proprietary.

    These companies should be embraced instead of boycotted because they are
    increasing Linux's presence on the desktop.

    The radicals, like [Homer], Schestowitz and worst of all Mark Kent are not
    doing Linux much good with their hate and vitriol against companies that
    are in effect helping Linux.
    They are however, making the Linux community look like a bunch of nutcases.

  4. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:08:36 GMT, Matt wrote:
    >

    >> I solved that problem years ago by filling the space under my bed with
    >> crates full of old HUAC reports.
    >>
    >> You seem to have missed the irony that you are so much like McCarthy's
    >> ghost in the way you without good reason repeatedly labeled me as a troll.
    >>
    >> I am not now, nor have I ever been ...

    > That's funny...
    > The problem with many of these so called Linux advocates is that they are
    > on a mission, a religious mission, where they will take no prisoners.
    > IOW you are either with them 100 percent or you are the enemy.
    >
    > This is an extremely dangerous method to employ especially when you don't
    > have the ammunition and armor to sustain battle.
    >
    > A better approach, at this juncture in Linux's development, is to accept
    > what you can get, build upon it and work slowly, patiently and thoroughly
    > toward your goals.
    >
    > An example is Xandros, Novel, Linspire and hardware companies that DO write
    > Linux drivers but keep them proprietary.
    >
    > These companies should be embraced instead of boycotted because they are
    > increasing Linux's presence on the desktop.
    >
    > The radicals, like [Homer], Schestowitz and worst of all Mark Kent are not
    > doing Linux much good with their hate and vitriol against companies that
    > are in effect helping Linux.
    > They are however, making the Linux community look like a bunch of nutcases.

    Very well said.

    And yet only yesterday, Roy Kent was advocating patented closed source
    SW.

  5. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    [H]omer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Matt spake thusly:
    >
    >> You seem to have missed the irony that you are so much like
    >> McCarthy's ghost in the way you without good reason repeatedly
    >> labeled me as a troll.
    >>
    >> I am not now, nor have I ever been ...

    > I took you off the Troll list after your recent advocacy post.
    >
    > My "Reds under the beds" comment was just wry humour, as was your
    > reference to the soviet flag, I assume.

    Interesting. He's in my killfile, too... there must've been a reason,
    but I don't know what it was.

  6. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    Mark Kent wrote:
    > [H]omer espoused:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Matt spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> You seem to have missed the irony that you are so much like
    >>> McCarthy's ghost in the way you without good reason repeatedly
    >>> labeled me as a troll.
    >>>
    >>> I am not now, nor have I ever been ...

    >> I took you off the Troll list after your recent advocacy post.
    >>
    >> My "Reds under the beds" comment was just wry humour, as was your
    >> reference to the soviet flag, I assume.
    >>

    > Interesting. He's in my killfile, too... there must've been a reason,
    > but I don't know what it was.

    Feel free to put me back in your killfile.

  7. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:55:12 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Matt spake thusly:
    >
    >> You seem to have missed the irony that you are so much like
    >> McCarthy's ghost in the way you without good reason repeatedly
    >> labeled me as a troll.
    >>
    >> I am not now, nor have I ever been ...

    > I took you off the Troll list after your recent advocacy post.

    Wow!
    Does he get a rubber star or something?

    BTW when are you going to release the source code to that weekly stats
    script [Homer]?

    Hypocrite.

  8. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:34:25 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > [H]omer espoused:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Matt spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> You seem to have missed the irony that you are so much like
    >>> McCarthy's ghost in the way you without good reason repeatedly
    >>> labeled me as a troll.
    >>>
    >>> I am not now, nor have I ever been ...

    >> I took you off the Troll list after your recent advocacy post.
    >>
    >> My "Reds under the beds" comment was just wry humour, as was your
    >> reference to the soviet flag, I assume.
    >>

    > Interesting. He's in my killfile, too... there must've been a reason,
    > but I don't know what it was.

    You fscked up, that's the reason.
    You couldn't program a basic "do loop" and get it right Mark Kent.

    Maybe you should ask Willy 'filters' Poaster for some advice?

  9. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:11:42 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:08:36 GMT, Matt wrote:
    >>

    >>> I solved that problem years ago by filling the space under my bed with
    >>> crates full of old HUAC reports.
    >>>
    >>> You seem to have missed the irony that you are so much like McCarthy's
    >>> ghost in the way you without good reason repeatedly labeled me as a troll.
    >>>
    >>> I am not now, nor have I ever been ...

    >> That's funny...
    >> The problem with many of these so called Linux advocates is that they are
    >> on a mission, a religious mission, where they will take no prisoners.
    >> IOW you are either with them 100 percent or you are the enemy.
    >>
    >> This is an extremely dangerous method to employ especially when you don't
    >> have the ammunition and armor to sustain battle.
    >>
    >> A better approach, at this juncture in Linux's development, is to accept
    >> what you can get, build upon it and work slowly, patiently and thoroughly
    >> toward your goals.
    >>
    >> An example is Xandros, Novel, Linspire and hardware companies that DO write
    >> Linux drivers but keep them proprietary.
    >>
    >> These companies should be embraced instead of boycotted because they are
    >> increasing Linux's presence on the desktop.
    >>
    >> The radicals, like [Homer], Schestowitz and worst of all Mark Kent are not
    >> doing Linux much good with their hate and vitriol against companies that
    >> are in effect helping Linux.
    >> They are however, making the Linux community look like a bunch of nutcases.

    > Very well said.
    >
    > And yet only yesterday, Roy Kent was advocating patented closed source
    > SW.

    That's because they are hypocrites.

    Look at Roy Schestowitz over on digg asking someone to link to the article
    instead of to a 3rd party site.

    Huh?????

    What does Roy do all day?

    Hypocrite.

    Then we have [Homer] who fights tooth and nail against propriatary
    software, yet he won't release to source code to his stats program he
    foists on COLA once a week.

    Hypocrite.

    And the list goes on.

  10. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:17:53 GMT, Matt wrote:

    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >> [H]omer espoused:
    >>> Verily I say unto thee, that Matt spake thusly:

    >>> I took you off the Troll list after your recent advocacy post.
    >>>
    >>> My "Reds under the beds" comment was just wry humour, as was your
    >>> reference to the soviet flag, I assume.
    >>>

    >> Interesting. He's in my killfile, too... there must've been a reason,
    >> but I don't know what it was.
    >>

    > Feel free to put me back in your killfile.

    There is hope for you Matt.

  11. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    [H]omer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Matt spake thusly:
    >
    >> You seem to have missed the irony that you are so much like
    >> McCarthy's ghost in the way you without good reason repeatedly
    >> labeled me as a troll.
    >>
    >> I am not now, nor have I ever been ...

    > I took you off the Troll list after your recent advocacy post.

    That is an improvement.

    > My "Reds under the beds" comment was just wry humour, as was your
    > reference to the soviet flag,

    Point of information: the hammer and sickle is associated with
    International Communism, not just with the USSR. Take a look at China's
    flag.

    > I assume.

    See my anti-fluoridation posts elsewhere.

  12. Re: [News] Trolltech Likes GPLv3, Qt Upgraded to GPLv3!

    Matt wrote:
    [...]
    > Point of information: the hammer and sickle is associated with
    > International Communism, not just with the USSR. Take a look at China's
    > flag.

    Well, China is not a really good example nowadays.

    See

    http://www.vsachuthanandan.org/

    (http://www.kerala.gov.in/government/veeyes.htm)

    RMS and Eben had a really nice reception there recently.

    No kidding.

    regards,
    alexander.

    --