Re: [News] GNOME Assimilates to Windows? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] GNOME Assimilates to Windows? - Linux ; "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post u3ilq4-ucm.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 8/31/07 6:36 AM: > A large chunk of all this, of course, is that Microsoft's > visual items are what many are used to. > > We'll see what happens ...

  1. Re: [News] GNOME Assimilates to Windows?

    "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    u3ilq4-ucm.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 8/31/07 6:36 AM:

    > A large chunk of all this, of course, is that Microsoft's
    > visual items are what many are used to.
    >
    > We'll see what happens with this "innovative" "ribbon".

    I was a proponent of the ribbon at first - and I still commend MS for trying
    something different to better apps with so many features. But in practice I
    am not seeing the ribbon work.

    With the old system novices saw two lines of buttons - and this was a bit
    overwhelming but they could learn which ones to work with. At least to some
    extent. Sure, things on those toolbars were not organized particularly well
    - for example you had no visual way to know when you had to select the text
    first to get an effect or when it would apply to the whole paragraph. Not
    perfect... but the ribbon just overwhelms people. You cannot even see all
    the buttons at once... you have to jump between button bars (ribbons).
    Utterly baffling to many (though the old system "degraded" when people moved
    or added or removed bars).

    The instant view thing is good in theory but it just makes your page jump
    around and distract people. Not as good as I - and MS - hoped it would be.

    For advanced users there is little benefit - they were able to use the drop
    downs just fine... or use try, undo, try... neither of those new features
    really benefits them much at all... and many things now take more clicks...
    it is simply less efficient.

    So who is the ribbon better for?

    --
    BU__SH__

  2. Re: [News] GNOME Assimilates to Windows?

    On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 09:00:52 -0500, Snit wrote:
    > So who is the ribbon better for?

    To hang myself with. I hate it.

  3. Re: [News] GNOME Assimilates to Windows?

    "Tim Murray" stated in post
    GDykj.2758$1f.2300@bignews9.bellsouth.net on 1/19/08 7:48 PM:

    > On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 09:00:52 -0500, Snit wrote:
    >> So who is the ribbon better for?

    > To hang myself with. I hate it.

    I was happy to see MS try something new... but in practice it simply does
    not seem to work well.

    --
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please
    everyone. -- Bill Cosby

  4. Re: [News] GNOME Assimilates to Windows?

    Snit did eloquently scribble:
    > "Tim Murray" stated in post
    > GDykj.2758$1f.2300@bignews9.bellsouth.net on 1/19/08 7:48 PM:

    >> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 09:00:52 -0500, Snit wrote:
    >>> So who is the ribbon better for?

    >> To hang myself with. I hate it.

    > I was happy to see MS try something new... but in practice it simply does
    > not seem to work well.

    The stupid thing is...
    When SENSIBLE people try something new, they'll include it as an option.
    And most likely not an option that's turned on by default.

    With microsoft, they just completely dumped the old and forced people to
    use the new with no way of going back to the old GUI.

    Criminal stupidity.

  5. Re: [News] GNOME Assimilates to Windows?

    spike1 wrote:

    > The stupid thing is...
    > When SENSIBLE people try something new, they'll include it as an option.
    > And most likely not an option that's turned on by default.
    >
    > With microsoft, they just completely dumped the old and forced people to
    > use the new with no way of going back to the old GUI.
    >
    > Criminal stupidity.

    Well, they wouldn't want their customers thinking that they actually had
    choices...

  6. Re: [News] GNOME Assimilates to Windows?

    "spike1@freenet.co.uk" stated in post
    v7eb65-qrf.ln1@ridcully.ntlworld.com on 1/20/08 1:44 AM:

    > Snit did eloquently scribble:
    >> "Tim Murray" stated in post
    >> GDykj.2758$1f.2300@bignews9.bellsouth.net on 1/19/08 7:48 PM:

    >>> To hang myself with. I hate it.

    >> I was happy to see MS try something new... but in practice it simply does
    >> not seem to work well.

    > The stupid thing is...
    > When SENSIBLE people try something new, they'll include it as an option.
    > And most likely not an option that's turned on by default.
    >
    > With microsoft, they just completely dumped the old and forced people to
    > use the new with no way of going back to the old GUI.
    >
    > Criminal stupidity.

    It is not just a skin you can have optioned on or off... would be silly to
    try to do both at once.

    --
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan Simpson

  7. Re: GNOME Assimilates to Windows?

    On Jan 20, 3:44*am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > Snit did eloquently scribble:
    >
    > > "Tim Murray" stated in post
    > > GDykj.2758$1f.2...@bignews9.bellsouth.net on 1/19/08 7:48 PM:

    > >> To hang myself with. I hate it.

    > > I was happy to see MS try something new... but in practice it simply does
    > > not seem to work well.

    > The stupid thing is...
    > When SENSIBLE people try something new, they'll include it as an option.
    > And most likely not an option that's turned on by default.
    >
    > With microsoft, they just completely dumped the old and forced people to
    > use the new with no way of going back to the old GUI.

    Isn't that exactly what Apple did with OS X? :-)

    > Criminal stupidity.
    > --
    > | * spi...@freenet.co.uk * | * Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a * *|
    > | * * * * * * * * * * * * *| graphical shell fora 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
    > |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally *coded for a 4 bit |
    > | * * * * * *in * * * * * *|microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
    > | * * Computer Science * * | * * * *can't stand 1 bit of competition. * * * |

  8. Re: GNOME Assimilates to Windows?

    "Jesus" stated in post
    4ae4b244-cc50-4a90-b3c2-76413efbb48a...oglegroups.com on 1/20/08
    9:38 AM:

    > On Jan 20, 3:44*am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >> Snit did eloquently scribble:
    >>
    >>> "Tim Murray" stated in post
    >>> GDykj.2758$1f.2...@bignews9.bellsouth.net on 1/19/08 7:48 PM:

    >>> I was happy to see MS try something new... but in practice it simply does
    >>> not seem to work well.

    >> The stupid thing is...
    >> When SENSIBLE people try something new, they'll include it as an option.
    >> And most likely not an option that's turned on by default.
    >>
    >> With microsoft, they just completely dumped the old and forced people to
    >> use the new with no way of going back to the old GUI.

    > Isn't that exactly what Apple did with OS X? :-)

    Pretty much... and there are times you have to let go of the old to move
    forward.

    Adobe is struggling with this issue with Adobe... want to redo the interface
    to make it better but not upset the core user base that is already there.
    No good answer... but the *wrong* thing to do would be to have multiple
    complete UIs that you try to maintain. Utter madness.

    --Aldous Huxley

+ Reply to Thread