[News] Microsoft Sued for Patent Infingement; Community Patent in EU - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft Sued for Patent Infingement; Community Patent in EU - Linux ; Microsoft accused of patent violation in China ,----[ Quote ] | Zhongyi Electronic, a 100-employee firm, alleged that Microsoft has used its | inputting technology and fonts in Windows operating systems without | commercial agreement for a decade, the official ...

  1. [News] Microsoft Sued for Patent Infingement; Community Patent in EU

    Microsoft accused of patent violation in China

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Zhongyi Electronic, a 100-employee firm, alleged that Microsoft has used its
    | inputting technology and fonts in Windows operating systems without
    | commercial agreement for a decade, the official Xinhua news agency reported.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6226806.html

    EU a step closer to a Community Patent Litigation System

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Who doesn't like patent litigation? I know I do. What could be more fun than
    | reading newspapers articles about companies suing the pants out of each other
    | for infringing on ideas the suing party are theirs. It doesn't matter that
    | the defendant might never even have heard of the patent in question, as
    | patent law nevertheless applies and gives the claimant a chance to make a
    | windfall in damages for patent infringement.
    |
    | The EU is now close to setting up its own Community Patent Litigation System
    | (CPLS), which would turn the current national-based litigation into something
    | bigger, a community-wide litigation-fest. The idea of a CPLS came from the
    | Commission back in 2004, but since then the Member State politicians have
    | gotten involved and have been hard at work in coming up with a proposal for
    | such a system.
    `----

    http://euparl.blogspot.com/2008/01/e...ty-patent.html

    Last month:

    School sues Microsoft over copyright

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But it's complicated because the wire reports Microsoft Philippines bought
    | licences to print the manual back in 2004.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...soft-copyright

    Related:

    Microsoft infringing on one of Apple Patents?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Keep in mind I am not a patent researcher, and I am sure Apple is not
    | going to sue Microsoft for abusing one of their patents, but it does
    | at least look like Microsoft is abusing this patent.
    `----

    http://www.noheat.com/2007/06/22/mic...apple-patents/

    Handling of Microsoft's copyleft violation

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A member of the Microsoft packaged software team lifting one of my
    | images is definitely a case where the infringing party should have
    | known better, as the company routinely takes action to protect its
    | own IP.
    `----

    http://www.niallkennedy.com/blog/arc...hotograph.html

    Appeals Court Rules that Deceptive Conduct in Standard Setting can Violate
    Antitrust Laws

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While many of us have been preoccupied with the OOXML vote, the rest of the
    | world has naturally been continuing to go about its business. One piece of
    | business that took an interesting turn in the last few days is a ruling by a
    | Federal Appellate Court in the United States that breaks new ground in
    | protecting the integrity of the standard setting system. The ruling may also
    | have relevance to the regrettable conduct witnessed in the recent OOXML vote. * * *
    `----

    http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standa...07090607324049

    Moglen: Microsoft-Novell raises GPL questions

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "If you make an agreement which requires you to pay a royalty to anybody
    | for the right to distribute GPL software, you may not distribute it
    | under the GPL," Moglen told CNET News.com Thursday. Section 7 of the
    | GPL "requires that you have, and pass along to everybody, the right
    | to distribute software freely and without additional permission."
    |
    | "I and my firm don't take comfort from statement from Microsoft that
    | they won't sue programmers as long as they don't get paid," Moglen
    | said. "We represent developers of free and open-source software. If
    | Microsoft or anyone else attempts to sue our clients for doing what
    | they do to create software, because they're being paid for it, then
    | the people doing that will be sorry. We protect our clients."
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-613...2156&subj=news

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Sued for Patent Infingement; Community Patent in EU

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Microsoft accused of patent violation in China
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Zhongyi Electronic, a 100-employee firm, alleged that Microsoft has used its
    >| inputting technology and fonts in Windows operating systems without
    >| commercial agreement for a decade, the official Xinhua news agency reported.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6226806.html
    >
    > EU a step closer to a Community Patent Litigation System
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Who doesn't like patent litigation? I know I do. What could be more fun than
    >| reading newspapers articles about companies suing the pants out of each other
    >| for infringing on ideas the suing party are theirs. It doesn't matter that
    >| the defendant might never even have heard of the patent in question, as
    >| patent law nevertheless applies and gives the claimant a chance to make a
    >| windfall in damages for patent infringement.
    >|
    >| The EU is now close to setting up its own Community Patent Litigation System
    >| (CPLS), which would turn the current national-based litigation into something
    >| bigger, a community-wide litigation-fest. The idea of a CPLS came from the
    >| Commission back in 2004, but since then the Member State politicians have
    >| gotten involved and have been hard at work in coming up with a proposal for
    >| such a system.
    > `----
    >
    > http://euparl.blogspot.com/2008/01/e...ty-patent.html

    That will be great for the lawyers and patent attorneys. I'm wondering
    if we should have some further limitations on the patent process. For
    examples, several more criteria should be met before patents are
    granted, or claims are granted:

    1. Initial registration should include good evidence of having
    implemented the work through demonstrations. Abstract works are not
    patentable (including software).

    2. If the patent owner has not commercially exploited the patent within,
    say, 5 years, then it should expire.

    3. People bringing silly patents (Amazon single click, anything software,
    etc., ) should be punitively fined, a sum commensurate with their wealth

    4. Aspects of the natural world are also not patentable (eg., DNA,
    fish-oil, etc.)

    Or, better still, abandon the whole system. It dates back to the
    guilds, and is not suitable for the modern world, as it is used as a
    means of preventing development, not encouraging it.

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft Sued for Patent Infingement; Community Patent in EU

    On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 08:51:39 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Or, better still, abandon the whole system. It dates back to the
    > guilds, and is not suitable for the modern world, as it is used as a
    > means of preventing development, not encouraging it.

    Neither does your system of giving everything away for free.
    You are a Neanderthal who would rather see the world as hunters and
    gatherers than sophisticated human beings.

    No wonder you worship commie Linux.

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft Sued for Patent Infingement; Community Patent in EU

    ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 19 January 2008 08:51 : \____

    > It dates back to the
    > guilds

    It does indeed (with evidence recently shown by Glyn Moody), but this is the
    age of the neo-guilds, aka predatory monopolies.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
    run-level 2 2008-01-18 14:24 last=

  5. Re: [News] Microsoft Sued for Patent Infingement; Community Patent in EU

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 19 January 2008 08:51 : \____
    >
    >> It dates back to the
    >> guilds

    > It does indeed (with evidence recently shown by Glyn Moody), but this is the
    > age of the neo-guilds, aka predatory monopolies.

    The guilds were the closed-shops of their day, a sort of combination of
    union and monopoly all in one. The patent system is being abused in
    order to recreate the same thing in C21, but for very large businesses.