[News] Macs Popularity an Employment Opportunity for Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Macs Popularity an Employment Opportunity for Linux - Linux ; Need a Mac Support Tech? Find a Linux Guru. ,----[ Quote ] | If your company is deploying Apple Macintosh systems, say experienced IT | administrators, don't expect to retrain your Windows support staff. Instead, | find a Linux or ...

  1. [News] Macs Popularity an Employment Opportunity for Linux

    Need a Mac Support Tech? Find a Linux Guru.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If your company is deploying Apple Macintosh systems, say experienced IT
    | administrators, don't expect to retrain your Windows support staff. Instead,
    | find a Linux or UNIX admin. You'll save yourself from a world of hurt.
    `----

    http://www.cio.com/article/173360/Ne...a_Linux_Guru._

    Related:

    ,----[ Quote ]
> [...]
    | have a sort of reverential fear of Linux. They like to talk about it
    | in a respectful sort of way, but they are often afraid to actually use
    | it. Deploying a Linux server without an outside support agreement is a
    | very scary task to users who have felt safe for years in their
    | codependent relationship with Microsoft.
    |
    | After investing tens of thousands of dollars into their troubled
    | relationship, after spending sleepless nights nursing NT servers back
    | to health after they fall off the wagon to binge on worms and the
    | other malware they have a genetic propensity to be addicted to, after
    | growing dependent upon calling up the Redmond Father's TechNet for
    | advice on how to deal with the regular schizoid mania and subsequent
    | crashing of Windows, it's difficult to start over with something
    | entirely new.
    |
    | IT managers are a whipped bunch. Linux is an allure associated with
    | danger, like a pretty girl on the bus who smiles at the haggard,
    | middle aged family man. She's just being friendly, not inviting him
    | into a blissful world. He knows he has to think about his commitments
    | to Microsoft, all of the fighting that would have been for nothing,
    | all of the holding back of hair that he's already dealt with and wants
    | to use as credit toward an established relationship. It's too much
    | starting over, too late in the game.
    |
    | Today's adherents of Microsoft are like the COBOL programmers in the
    | 90s: too old to learn new tricks, and too tired to even want to try.
    | They are dinosaurs, dependent upon resisting change to maintain their
    | proprietary world.
    |
    | Change isn't resisted successfully for long, but holdout adherents can
    | oppose progress and tenaciously hold things up for longer periods of
    | time than one might imagine possible.
    |
    | Is Linux Really a Problem?
    | Of course, there are lots of phones that run Linux already--far more
    | than run Windows Mobile--and they are not plagued by security
    | problems.
    |
    | There are also tens of millions of embedded routers and phone systems
    | running Linux or its BSD cousin, and none have suffered a scourge of
    | security rashes anything remotely like Microsoft's Windows. Perhaps
    | security isn't just a product of being powerful or having market
    | share.
    |
    | Why would the iPhone's closed BSD environment be a special security
    | risk? Hackers working on the iPhone have to build and install their
    | own shell before they can even control it in ideal settings in a lab.
    |
    | If iPhone enthusiasts can't hack their own phones without first
    | manually installing their own root access and shell environment, why
    | are pundits distributing scary stories about the potential for iPhones
    | to turn on their human masters and form a rebellion mechanical army of
    | robot terrorists?
    |
    | Why didn't these flacks ever tell us about their brainstorming efforts
    | to imagine security problems for Windows Mobile devices?
    `----

    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...38428FAA2.html

    Macs on the network: Time to panic?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The facts reveal a coming resurgence. Apple sold 36% more Macs in the second
    | quarter than the same quarter last year. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | or the most part, connecting a Mac to a corporate LAN doesn't have a
    | world-shattering effect on performance or support. According to William
    | Green, director of networking at the University of Texas in Austin, the Mac
    | has had a minimal impact on the school's infrastructure. *
    | "All OSs behave differently; if you have a multivendor environment, you have
    | to deal with the differences," said Green. "There have not been any special
    | problems related to Macs." *
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...src=hm_ts_head

  2. Re: [News] Macs Popularity an Employment Opportunity for Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Need a Mac Support Tech? Find a Linux Guru.
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | If your company is deploying Apple Macintosh systems, say experienced IT
    > | administrators, don't expect to retrain your Windows support staff.
    > | Instead, find a Linux or UNIX admin. You'll save yourself from a world
    > | of hurt.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.cio.com/article/173360

    Need_a_Mac_Support_Tech_Find_a_Linux_Guru._

    The world of windummies is shortening every day.
    If they don't retrain into Linux and open source,
    they are unlikely to find jobs.

    The easy way to train into Linux is to play with livecds all day.

    http://www.livecdlist.com

  3. Re: [News] Macs Popularity an Employment Opportunity for Linux

    On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 05:36:23 GMT, 7 wrote:

    > The world of windummies is shortening every day.
    > If they don't retrain into Linux and open source,
    > they are unlikely to find jobs.

    So what is Roy Schestowitz's excuse?
    Not counting his job as a paid, professional spammer, what is he employed
    as?
    A professional idiot perhaps?
    Crash Test Dummy?
    Victoria's Secret model?

    Certainly their must be a position out there for a bore who speaks in a
    monotone with an effeminate lisp, and I don't mean the programming
    language.

    Listen to him here:

    http://www.linux.com/feature/122470

    Maybe he can do voice over's as that guy at the airport who reminds the
    passengers incessantly via the PA system not to carry explosives on the
    plane?

    The voice at pay toilets asking to deposit your dime?

    "Would you like fries with that?"

+ Reply to Thread