MySQL, JBoss, Zimbra...What is an open-source company worth?

,----[ Quote ]
| JBoss? 2005 revenue was $17 million and bookings were roughly $27 million.
| Red Hat acquired JBoss in 2006 for $350 million. This represents a multiple
| of 20.6 times trailing 12-month revenue or 13 times 2005 bookings. That's not
| a wide divergence from the valuation multiple MySQL got (but both are a lot
| better than the multiple that BEA Systems got for its stock from Oracle).
| Zimbra? $6 million in bookings that fed into a $350 million valuation, though
| it's probably better to use the $20 million in bookings it was on track to
| hit in 2007 before the acquisition. At that number, it's a 17.5 multiple on
| bookings projecting to the end of 2007. More likely, it was a multiple on
| bookings in the range of 12 to 15. In other words, very close to the same
| multiple for MySQL and JBoss.

Putting a value on MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| Since Sun announced its acquisition of MySQL for $1bn, there have been some
| suggestions that perhaps Sun paying too much for the open source database
| vendor. Calculating the multiple for MySQL has proved difficult because there
| are no official figures to go on, and also because many of the unofficial
| figures that are floating around are contradictory.

The Failure of Open Source Business Advocacy

,----[ Quote ]
| The consistent and often exclusive focus on cost of acquisition as a
| competitive advantage is a key factor leading into unsustainable and
| sub-optimal deployment of open source. It is often the IT budget rather than
| the longer range IT strategy which provides an entry point for free software
| in the enterprise. * *

Open Source CMS offers great benefits to scientific collaborative research

,----[ Quote ]
| Researchers need a platform to support transnational scientific
| collaboration. Paul Henning Krogh explains how collaborative
| software as Plone brings outstanding benefits to EU research
| projects.

Do You Work Better If You're Working For Free?

,----[ Quote ]
| After we finish the next issue of Release 2.0, we'll be turning our
| attention to a series of open source reports, the first of which
| we'll be unveiling at OSCON. Another project I'm working on --
| one outside O'Reilly Radar that has nothing to do with technology
| -- makes me wonder about how different groups consider open source
| projects.

Why open source is ready for the enterprise: beyond free stuff

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source is certainly hot among the tech community, but if you
| mention the concept to IT leaders in the enterprise environment,
| they tend to immediately cringe. The inference being that "free
| stuff" can't possibly match the quality of products you pay for
| -- and the "DIY approach" is not manageable or secure enough for
| large enterprises. This kind of rash write-off plainly misses
| the mark!

Unpaid users more valuable than paid users?

,----[ Quote of quote ]
| The professors found, for instance, that the value of each nonpaying
| customer (buyer) was actually slightly higher than the value of each
| paying customer (seller) - even though there were far more buyers
| than sellers in the company's marketplace. (To put it another way,
| the network effect of a buyer on a seller was far stronger than the
| network effect of a seller on a buyer.)

Free software... and why we avoid it.

,----[ Quote ]