[News] Btrfs Coming to the Linux Kernel - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Btrfs Coming to the Linux Kernel - Linux ; Btrfs Online Resizing, Ext3 Conversion, and More ,----[ Quote ] | Chris Mason announced version 0.10 of his new Btrfs filesystem, listing the | following new features, "explicit back references, online resizing (including | shrinking), in place conversion from Ext3 ...

  1. [News] Btrfs Coming to the Linux Kernel

    Btrfs Online Resizing, Ext3 Conversion, and More

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Chris Mason announced version 0.10 of his new Btrfs filesystem, listing the
    | following new features, "explicit back references, online resizing (including
    | shrinking), in place conversion from Ext3 to Btrfs, data=ordered support,
    | mount options to disable data COW and checksumming, and barrier support for
    | sata and IDE drives".
    `----

    http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Btrfs_On...rsion_and_More

    Related:

    Linux: Btrfs, File Data and Metadata Checksums

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Chris Mason announced an early alpha release of his new Btrfs
    | filesystem, "after the last FS summit, I started working on a new
    | filesystem that maintains checksums of all file data and metadata." He
    | listed the following features as "mostly implemented": "extent based file
    | storage (2^64 max file size), space efficient packing of small files,
    | space efficient indexed directories, dynamic inode allocation, writable
    | snapshots, subvolumes (separate internal filesystem roots), checksums on *
    | data and metadata (multiple algorithms available), very fast offline
    | filesystem check". * * * *
    `----

    http://kerneltrap.org/node/8376

  2. Re: [News] Btrfs Coming to the Linux Kernel

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Btrfs Online Resizing, Ext3 Conversion, and More
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Chris Mason announced version 0.10 of his new Btrfs filesystem, listing
    > | the following new features, "explicit back references, online resizing
    > | (including shrinking), in place conversion from Ext3 to Btrfs,
    > | data=ordered support, mount options to disable data COW and
    > | checksumming, and barrier support for sata and IDE drives".
    > `----
    >
    > http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Btrfs_On...rsion_and_More

    Hopefully this will turn into one of those nuggets you rarely find anymore.
    The performance graphs look good, but it obviously has a bit of work ahead
    if it wants to displace current filesystems. I'd like to see a comparison
    of reiserfs and btrfs... That would reveal quite a bit.

    That said, it would be very nice to be able to resize an online filesystem.
    As is now, it's backup... resize and probably restore... Not a lot of fun.

    Cheers.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: [News] Btrfs Coming to the Linux Kernel

    Jerry McBride espoused:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Btrfs Online Resizing, Ext3 Conversion, and More
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Chris Mason announced version 0.10 of his new Btrfs filesystem, listing
    >> | the following new features, "explicit back references, online resizing
    >> | (including shrinking), in place conversion from Ext3 to Btrfs,
    >> | data=ordered support, mount options to disable data COW and
    >> | checksumming, and barrier support for sata and IDE drives".
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Btrfs_On...rsion_and_More
    >>

    > Hopefully this will turn into one of those nuggets you rarely find anymore.
    > The performance graphs look good, but it obviously has a bit of work ahead
    > if it wants to displace current filesystems. I'd like to see a comparison
    > of reiserfs and btrfs... That would reveal quite a bit.
    >
    > That said, it would be very nice to be able to resize an online filesystem.
    > As is now, it's backup... resize and probably restore... Not a lot of fun.

    It's easy to see why open-source is winning the mindshare war. To even
    be able to consider these issues is quite incredible, really. Someone
    is working on these questions, they're providing their solutions out
    into the community for testing/trialling. I'm in no doubt that ext3 and
    reiserfs will eventually be replaced with superior systems.

    Proprietary systems have no possibility to keep pace with this.

  4. Re: [News] Btrfs Coming to the Linux Kernel

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 18 January 2008 23:01 : \____

    > Jerry McBride espoused:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Btrfs Online Resizing, Ext3 Conversion, and More
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Btrfs_On...rsion_and_More
    >>>

    >> Hopefully this will turn into one of those nuggets you rarely find anymore.
    >> The performance graphs look good, but it obviously has a bit of work ahead
    >> if it wants to displace current filesystems. I'd like to see a comparison
    >> of reiserfs and btrfs... That would reveal quite a bit.
    >>
    >> That said, it would be very nice to be able to resize an online filesystem.
    >> As is now, it's backup... resize and probably restore... Not a lot of fun.
    >>

    > It's easy to see why open-source is winning the mindshare war. To even
    > be able to consider these issues is quite incredible, really. Someone
    > is working on these questions, they're providing their solutions out
    > into the community for testing/trialling. I'm in no doubt that ext3 and
    > reiserfs will eventually be replaced with superior systems.
    >
    > Proprietary systems have no possibility to keep pace with this.

    Unless I remember incorrectly (I haven't checked), Btrfs is either developed or
    assisted by Oracle. It's almost a one-man project (think Hans Reiser) and I
    can imagine that its purpose is to improve performance of disk access for
    databases (I'm guessing here). Either way, the modularity of the O/S
    facilitates more optimisation and tweaking for special-purpose tasks. It's
    hardly surprising that Oracle releases its databases for Linux first and for
    Windows only later on. It's also far from surprising that Microsoft attacks
    Linux so viciously while patenting the "modular O/S" (I kid you not), which
    acknowledges Microsoft understands its problem.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz \ Switch to GNU/Linux. Visit http://www.getgnulinux.org/
    roy pts/2 cg093a.halls.man Fri Jan 18 17:22 still logged in