[News] [Rival] Microsoft Looks for Suckers to Hurt ODF, Finds Shill - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Looks for Suckers to Hurt ODF, Finds Shill - Linux ; Microsoft wants open sourcers to write an OOXML translator ,----[ Quote ] | One has to wonder where Microsoft thinks it's going to find anyone competent | who's willing to write open source BSD licenced code that can only benefit ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Looks for Suckers to Hurt ODF, Finds Shill

    Microsoft wants open sourcers to write an OOXML translator

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One has to wonder where Microsoft thinks it's going to find anyone competent
    | who's willing to write open source BSD licenced code that can only benefit
    | the Vole itself, without any compensation except a promise not to get sued.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...sourcers-write

    Only someone will de Icaza will accept the challenge...

    Gold Certified Shill alert:

    Intermedia Compliant With iPod

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Business e-mail solutions provider and Microsoft Gold Certified
    | partner, Intermedia, has announced that it now supports business e-mail on
    | Apple's iPod. Intermedia-hosted Exchange customers can now access their
    | business e-mail via secure IMAP using any up-to-date iPod.
    `----

    http://www.inc.com/news/articles/200...tner=yahoofeed

    Ecosystem shills. Stuffing ballots on demand and all...

    Related:

    Portugal will send Microsoft to the BRM

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft, as president of the Portuguese Technical Committee, is already
    | controlling who will be at the BRM for Portugal. The Head of Delegation will
    | be... Microsoft! *
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-27501...oft-to-the-brm

    IBM is still locked out of the Portuguese OOXML meeting

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In spite of various communications, we [IBM] are still locked out and will
    | not be allowed to participate. Microsoft will be there, as well as a special
    | Microsoft guest, as will various Microsoft business partners, and others. *
    `----

    http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1755

    Microsoft's Stephen McGibbon to represent Ireland at the BRM?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are rumors circulating in Ireland that Microsoft's Stephen McGibbon
    | might be part of the Irish delegation to attend the BRM in Geneva. Microsoft
    | is already controlling the Portuguese delegation, you can expect that they
    | will control half of the table at Geneva. O'MyGod! *
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-29606...and-at-the-brm

    Opinion: Einstein's definition of insanity...

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But ISO standards have a much more political dimension to them than Internet
    | (IETF) or World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) standards. Every country can vote, *
    | although not all chose to do so. Over the past few weeks, some strange and
    | rather irregular national positions have come to light. My favourites were
    | Cuba voting "Yes" to the fast-tracking of OOXML, even though Microsoft is
    | prohibited by the US Government from selling any software on the island that
    | might even be able to read and write the new format, and Azerbaijan's "Yes"
    | vote, even though OOXML as defined isn't able to express a Web URL address in
    | Azeri, their official language. * * *
    `----

    http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/modules...rticle&sid=632

    Whither OOXML?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Strangely, however, Microsoft appears to be soft-pedaling its own standard.
    | At GOSCON last week there was a panel on document formats, with reps from
    | IBM, Sun, Adobe, and Microsoft present. Each of the company representatives
    | got to speak for five minutes and present his company's perspective on
    | document formats. * *
    |
    | In his presentation, Matusow appeared to be backing away from OOXML as a key
    | technology. If you look at the slide he presented...
    |
    | ...you can see that the positioning now is that the tool is key, and the
    | document format secondary, which, to my mind, is a bizarre assertion,
    | although it's one that aligns with a positioning that, above all, must keep
    | Microsoft's tools in a predominate position. *
    |
    | It appears to me that, having realized that the force-feeding of OOXML into
    | an international standards body is problematic, Microsoft is now trying to
    | present a soft TCO story which emphasizes sunk costs and pre-existing product
    | versions as a reason to stay on the Microsoft path, along with an
    | incomprehensible assertion that two document standards would be a good thing
    | (this last is the most oddball position of all; how can anyone state with a
    | straight face that the world would be well-served by having two incompatible
    | editable file formats?). * * * *
    `----

    http://advice.cio.com/bernard_golden/wither_ooxml

    Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
    | mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
    | than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
    | and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
    | index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
    | disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below. * * *
    `----

    http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

    Microsoft accused of more OOXML standards fiddling

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However the 11 new countries are refusing to say how they will vote. These
    | include Cote d'Ivoire, Cyprus, Ecuador, Jamaica, Lebanon, Malta, Pakistan,
    | Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Uruguay and Venezuela. Most people seem to think
    | that these have been put there by Vole to make sure the standard gets pushed
    | through. * *
    `----

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Looks for Suckers to Hurt ODF, Finds Shill

    "[H]omer" wrote in message news:6v9765-0am.ln1@sky.matrix...

    >> Microsoft wants open sourcers to write an OOXML translator

    > [...]
    >> will de Icaza will accept the challenge...

    > No doubt, after all "OOXML is a superb standard" according to him.

    Well de Icaza would have a better technical understanding of standards then
    worthless whiners like you and Schestowitz ever will.

    In 1999, De Icaza, along with Nat Friedman, co-founded Helix Code, a
    GNOME-oriented free software company that employed a large number of other
    GNOME hackers. In 2001, Helix Code, now renamed Ximian, announced the Mono
    Project, to be led by De Icaza, with the goal to implement Microsoft's new
    ..NET development platform on Linux and Unix-like platforms. In August 2003,
    Ximian was acquired by Novell, Inc. There, De Icaza is currently the Vice
    President of Developer Platform.

    Miguel de Icaza has received the Free Software Foundation 1999 Award for the
    Advancement of Free Software, the MIT Technology Review Innovator of the
    Year Award 1999, and was named one of Time Magazine's 100 innovators for the
    new century in September 2000.

    And what exactly have you losers accomplished. Not much evidently. All you
    and your boi Schestowitz will ever accomplish is post your whining lies here
    in COLA.

    Better yet... losers like you and Schestowitz should remain in COLA. For
    life. The real world (aka "reality") is far too difficult for you and you'd
    never make it out here.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Looks for Suckers to Hurt ODF, FindsShill

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:38:19 -0500, Tiki Weatherbee wrote a bunch of crap
    noone cares about....

    *yawn*

    *plonk*

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Looks for Suckers to Hurt ODF, Finds Shill

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Microsoft wants open sourcers to write an OOXML translator
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| One has to wonder where Microsoft thinks it's going to find anyone competent
    >| who's willing to write open source BSD licenced code that can only benefit
    >| the Vole itself, without any compensation except a promise not to get sued.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...sourcers-write
    >
    > Only someone will de Icaza will accept the challenge...

    Indeed, one need only look so far as Novell...

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Looks for Suckers to Hurt ODF, Finds Shill

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft wants open sourcers to write an OOXML translator
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | One has to wonder where Microsoft thinks it's going to find anyone competent
    > | who's willing to write open source BSD licenced code that can only benefit
    > | the Vole itself, without any compensation except a promise not to get sued.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...sourcers-write

    OOXML to ODF? Seems like a useful tool.

    BTW, isnt a vole some sort of small rodent?

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
    Personally, I'm against people who give vent to their loquacity by

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Looks for Suckers to Hurt ODF, Finds Shill

    ____/ Paul Hovnanian P.E. on Saturday 19 January 2008 03:39 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Microsoft wants open sourcers to write an OOXML translator
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | One has to wonder where Microsoft thinks it's going to find anyone
    >> | competent who's willing to write open source BSD licenced code that can
    >> | only benefit the Vole itself, without any compensation except a promise
    >> | not to get sued.
    >> `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...sourcers-write

    > OOXML to ODF? Seems like a useful tool.
    >
    > BTW, isnt a vole some sort of small rodent?

    No, that's Bill Weisgerber, according to chrisv.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows: backward-compatible, even for viruses

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Looks for Suckers to Hurt ODF, Finds Shill

    "Tiki Weatherbee" writes:

    > "[H]omer" wrote in message news:6v9765-0am.ln1@sky.matrix...
    >>
    >>> Microsoft wants open sourcers to write an OOXML translator

    >> [...]
    >>> will de Icaza will accept the challenge...

    >> No doubt, after all "OOXML is a superb standard" according to him.

    > Well de Icaza would have a better technical understanding of standards then
    > worthless whiners like you and Schestowitz ever will.
    >

    > In 1999, De Icaza, along with Nat Friedman, co-founded Helix Code, a
    > GNOME-oriented free software company that employed a large number of other
    > GNOME hackers. In 2001, Helix Code, now renamed Ximian, announced the Mono
    > Project, to be led by De Icaza, with the goal to implement Microsoft's new
    > .NET development platform on Linux and Unix-like platforms. In August 2003,
    > Ximian was acquired by Novell, Inc. There, De Icaza is currently the Vice
    > President of Developer Platform.
    >
    > Miguel de Icaza has received the Free Software Foundation 1999 Award for the
    > Advancement of Free Software, the MIT Technology Review Innovator of the
    > Year Award 1999, and was named one of Time Magazine's 100 innovators for the
    > new century in September 2000.
    >

    > And what exactly have you losers accomplished. Not much evidently. All you
    > and your boi Schestowitz will ever accomplish is post your whining lies here
    > in COLA.
    >
    > Better yet... losers like you and Schestowitz should remain in COLA. For
    > life. The real world (aka "reality") is far too difficult for you and you'd
    > never make it out here.

    Fairs fair. Omer (+ an "H" for hypocrite) modified someone else's usenet
    stats code. And then refused to open it up to the community. I wonder
    why that is?

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Looks for Suckers to Hurt ODF, Finds Shill

    On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 11:17:28 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Fairs fair. Omer (+ an "H" for hypocrite) modified someone else's usenet
    > stats code. And then refused to open it up to the community. I wonder
    > why that is?

    It sure seems that way. The Linux advocates in COLA are hypocrites for
    sure.

  9. hey flatfish ..

    On 19 Jan, 19:22, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    When are you going to get fed up of this 'Moshe Goldfarb' persona, it
    is really really beginning to grate.

  10. Re: hey flatfish ..

    * Doug Mentohl peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 19 Jan, 19:22, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    > When are you going to get fed up of this 'Moshe Goldfarb' persona, it
    > is really really beginning to grate.

    /Now/ he'll keep it for a few days longer.

    Hey, this sig sound appropriate for amicus, Terekhov, and DFS:

    --
    Here comes the orator, with his flood of words and his drop of reason.

  11. Re: hey flatfish ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:

    >On 19 Jan, 19:22, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >When are you going to get fed up of this 'Moshe Goldfarb' persona, it
    >is really really beginning to grate.

    Not on me. I plonked it day one, as everyone should.

  12. Re: hey flatfish ..

    Doug Mentohl espoused:
    > On 19 Jan, 19:22, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    > When are you going to get fed up of this 'Moshe Goldfarb' persona, it
    > is really really beginning to grate.

    Unfortunately, he's had a lot of responses to it, which is very much
    what he's after. He is a lonely soul, and will do anything for
    attention. It's better not to feed him.