[News] [OT] Political Censor (AT&T) Increases Internet Filtering - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [OT] Political Censor (AT&T) Increases Internet Filtering - Linux ; Should AT&T police the Internet? ,----[ Quote ] | A decade after the government said that AT&T and other service providers | don't have to police their networks for pirated content, the | telecommunications giant is voluntarily looking for ways ...

  1. [News] [OT] Political Censor (AT&T) Increases Internet Filtering

    Should AT&T police the Internet?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A decade after the government said that AT&T and other service providers
    | don't have to police their networks for pirated content, the
    | telecommunications giant is voluntarily looking for ways to play traffic cop.
    `----

    http://www.news.com/Should-ATT-polic...0-20&subj=news

    Related:

    AT&T admits it censored other bands

    | It looks like Pearl Jam isn't the only band that has had its politically
    | charged comments bleeped from concerts streamed from AT&T's Blue Room Web
    | site.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | AT&T quickly apologized for the incident and blamed the company that handles
    | the Webcasting for performances on Blue Room.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-975...=2547-1_3-0-20

    Customers can sue AT&T, after all

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A federal court in San Francisco has decided that AT&T's wireless contract
    | is "unconscionable".
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...ntract_clause/

    AT&T takes another step towards filtered network with investment in Vobile

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | AT&T announced earlier this year that was planning to introduce content
    | filtering of some sort for all video passing across its network. Exactly what
    | AT&T was thinking remained unclear: would the company truly attempt to
    | reassemble the fragments of peer-to-peer transmissions, then extract video
    | from all sorts of different codecs, then attempt to match it-in real time-to
    | some database of copyrighted works? Would such a thing even be possible?
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...in-vobile.html
    http://tinyurl.com/3a998z

    When Networks Collide: AT&T suddenly doesn't like Apple so much.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What I believe is troubling the relationship between AT&T and Apple is the
    | upcoming auction for 700-MHz wireless spectrum and AT&T's discovery that --
    | as I have predicted for weeks -- Apple will be joining Google in bidding.
    | AT&T thought its five-year "exclusive" iPhone agreement with Apple would have
    | precluded such a bid, but that just shows how poorly Randall Stephenson
    | understood Steve Jobs. Steve always hurts his friends to see how much they
    | really love him, so AT&T probably should have expected this kind of corporate
    | body blow.
    `----

    http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2...29_003521.html

    Hey, AT&T, What's the Value of a Closed Network Again?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Closed networks, its proponents maintain, offer a trade-off. Individuals or
    | outside developers can't make any changes or improvements to it. But since
    | the network and its applications are controlled at a single source,
    | individuals are supposed to get an easier experience in which they don't have
    | to think about the network, just what they're doing on it. Trust the network.
    `----

    http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/20...t_whats_t.html

    How AT&T chewed up, and spat out Net Neutrality

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In an interview with Business Week in October 2005, Whitacre said
    | he thought taking over BellSouth would be rejected by the FCC.
    | He also made another memorable comment that began the process
    | which culminated in the FCC's approval in December.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.com/2007/01/1...acre_wins_big/

  2. Re: [News] [OT] Political Censor (AT&T) Increases Internet Filtering

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Should AT&T police the Internet?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| A decade after the government said that AT&T and other service providers
    >| don't have to police their networks for pirated content, the
    >| telecommunications giant is voluntarily looking for ways to play traffic cop.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.news.com/Should-ATT-polic...0-20&subj=news

    Because a company has offered them a box for snooping, no doubt.