[News] Novell Loses Top Executive, Ben Hendrick - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Novell Loses Top Executive, Ben Hendrick - Linux ; Onward Technologies Appoints Ben Hendrick as Senior Vice President - Americas ,----[ Quote ] | He spent more than seventeen years at Novell Incorporated, with five years as | Vice President and Managing Partner over the Americas Enterprise Service Line ...

  1. [News] Novell Loses Top Executive, Ben Hendrick

    Onward Technologies Appoints Ben Hendrick as Senior Vice President - Americas

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He spent more than seventeen years at Novell Incorporated, with five years as
    | Vice President and Managing Partner over the Americas Enterprise Service Line
    | and Practice delivery teams. With stints in various services leadership
    | positions prior to taking overall profit and loss responsibility for the
    | America's (United States, Canada, and Latin America) Enterprise Service Line.
    `----

    http://sev.prnewswire.com/computer-e...7012008-1.html

    Here he is: http://www.linkedin.com/in/bhendrick

    Did Novell Just Die?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Perhaps Novell could sell itself — though such statements have been made
    | about the company ever since former CEO Ray Noorda retired in 1994. Rumored
    | buyers over the years have included Sun, IBM and Oracle, just to name a few.
    | But The VAR Guy doesn’t see that happening. Alas, open source continues to
    | represent a small fraction of Novell’s overall revenue. Novell also has a
    | nice footprint in the endpoint security market and the identity management
    | sector. But there again, sales are a fraction of Novell’s overall revenue.
    |
    | Novell ain’t dead yet. But the flesh wounds are starting to add up. It’s time
    | for the company to get in the applications game.
    `----

    http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/01/17/...vell-just-die/

    Related:

    Engineering Industry support for OOXML - Novell

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wikipedia: "A puppet is a representational object manipulated by a puppeteer.
    | It is usually but not always a depiction of a human character and is used in
    | (a) play or a presentation. The puppet undergoes a process of transformation
    | through being animated, and is normally manipulated by one, or sometimes more
    | than one, puppeteer. Some puppets can be moved electronically." Does Novell
    | qualify as an OOXML puppet? * *
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30546...r-ooxml-novell

    All sides of the debate?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | How many sides are there in the OOXML debate? What if all sides are Microsoft
    | and Microsoft business partners?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Dough Mahugh (Microsoft) :
    |
    | * * Next week's XML 2007 conference in Boston features speakers from all
    | * * sides of the document format debate, including a document interop session
    | * * with Miguel de Icaza (Novell) and Vijay Rajagopalan (Microsoft) that I
    | * * expect will offer a lively discussion around Open XML, ODF, and XML-based
    | * * interoperability in general. * *
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-29108...-of-the-debate

    Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | is Mono's role in the deal that of a hook to make customers write
    | .NET applications because they can be run on Linux - only to find
    | later on that they are armless or legless because of a change in
    | the .NETspecifications, a change which Microsoft decides not to
    | make public?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | And here we have an individual who decides to replicate one of
    | the proprietary company's development environments - for reasons
    | best known to him alone - and keeps telling people that the reason
    | he's doing it is so that he can pull people over from the
    | proprietary company's side to his side!!!
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?o...81&Itemid=1091

    Available Now: OpenOffice.org Novell Edition for Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Let's consider a couple of the features that you get in the Novell
    | Edition but are not likely to have been integrated into upstream OOo yet:
    |
    | * * * Excel VBA Macro execution
    | * * * Performance improvements
    | * * * AGFA fonts
    | * * * Better Bullets (now in upstream OOo)
    | * * * Simple Solver
    | * * * GroupWise integration
    `----

    http://reverendted.wordpress.com/200...e-for-windows/

    Sun Refuses LGPL for OpenOffice; Novell forks

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Because of Sun's refusal to accept LPGL extensions in the upstream code,
    | Michael Meeks (who recently talked about Sun's OO.o community failings, and
    | ODF and OOXML) has announced ooo-build (previously just for build fixes) is
    | now a formal fork of OpenOffice to be located at http://go-oo.org/. * *
    `----

    Questions I'd like to see asked about the Microsoft-Novell deal

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The questions asked as part of this study were about as open-ended
    | and wishy-washy as you could get. Researchers asked customers
    | deploying a mix of Windows, SuSE Linux and Red Hat Linux whether
    | they were in favor of more vendor interoperability. They asked
    | customers if they believed it would be helpful if Microsoft
    | worked more closely with Linux vendors. They asked whether they
    | approved of the Microsoft-Novell collaboration. And they
    | questioned whether users "take responsibility for the
    | intellectual property in the products they ship."
    |
    | The only question on PSB's list that I found remotely interesting
    | was whether users would be any more likely to buy SuSE Linux as a
    | result of the Microsoft-Novell deal. Sixty-nine percent said yes.
    | (I'm actually surprised this number isn't higher.)
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=145

    Privileged Access on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It is the "OpenOffice.org Novell Edition", that is a kind of half fork of the
    | official OpenOffice.org. Novell is pulling the strings to get the Gnome
    | project to adopt its version as the official Gnome OpenOffice. This fork is
    | using the last version of the OOo and adding/changing features to *
    | it to create a different product: the "Novell Edition".
    |
    | The main difference between the OpenOffice.org Novell Edition and the
    | official version of the project is that the Novell Edition is encouraged to
    | provide import and export to OOXML. Additionally it includes some add-ons
    | that they didn't want to integrate in the official version of OpenOffice.org
    | (indeed they chosed an incompatible license to prevent any kind of
    | integration of their code in the official project). These add-ons can be seen
    | here: http://www.go-oo.org * * *
    |
    | All this strategy of to divide the "instrumental" OOo project probably is
    | under the umbrella of the Microsoft-Novell agreement.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-28990...ccess-on-linux

  2. Re: [News] Novell Loses Top Executive, Ben Hendrick

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Onward Technologies Appoints Ben Hendrick as Senior Vice President - Americas
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| He spent more than seventeen years at Novell Incorporated, with five years as
    >| Vice President and Managing Partner over the Americas Enterprise Service Line
    >| and Practice delivery teams. With stints in various services leadership
    >| positions prior to taking overall profit and loss responsibility for the
    >| America's (United States, Canada, and Latin America) Enterprise Service Line.
    > `----
    >
    > http://sev.prnewswire.com/computer-e...7012008-1.html
    >
    > Here he is: http://www.linkedin.com/in/bhendrick

    I rather think that it's all over for Novell, too. Maybe they can
    re-work themselves, but having become dependent on the handouts from
    Microsoft, I doubt that they'll be able to do any proper business
    planning.

  3. Re: [News] Novell Loses Top Executive, Ben Hendrick

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 18 January 2008 11:34 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Onward Technologies Appoints Ben Hendrick as Senior Vice President -
    >> Americas
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| He spent more than seventeen years at Novell Incorporated, with five years
    >>| as Vice President and Managing Partner over the Americas Enterprise Service
    >>| Line and Practice delivery teams. With stints in various services
    >>| leadership positions prior to taking overall profit and loss responsibility
    >>| for the America's (United States, Canada, and Latin America) Enterprise
    >>| Service Line.
    >> `----

    http://sev.prnewswire.com/computer-e...7012008-1.html

    >> Here he is: http://www.linkedin.com/in/bhendrick

    > I rather think that it's all over for Novell, too. Maybe they can
    > re-work themselves, but having become dependent on the handouts from
    > Microsoft, I doubt that they'll be able to do any proper business
    > planning.

    It turns out that he moved into another 'sub' company that is still pretty much
    Novell.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
    Tasks: 107 total, 2 running, 104 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie