The Microsoft CIO was fired because... - Linux

This is a discussion on The Microsoft CIO was fired because... - Linux ; "Scott fills a position open since November, when Microsoft fired previous CIO Stuart Scott for violating company policies. The company did not disclose which policies those were." I wonder whether recommending Linux for the server room would be considered a ...

  1. The Microsoft CIO was fired because...

    "Scott fills a position open since November, when Microsoft fired
    previous CIO Stuart Scott for violating company policies. The company
    did not disclose which policies those were."

    I wonder whether recommending Linux for the server room would be
    considered a violation of MS company policies.

    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9852835-7.html

    -Ramon

  2. Re: The Microsoft CIO was fired because...

    On Jan 17, 10:16 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > "Scott fills a position open since November, when Microsoft fired
    > previous CIO Stuart Scott for violating company policies. The company
    > did not disclose which policies those were."
    >
    > I wonder whether recommending Linux for the server room would be
    > considered a violation of MS company policies.
    >
    > http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9852835-7.html
    >
    > -Ramon

    "Scott comes to Microsoft from Walt Disney, where he led a major IT
    infrastructure upgrade. Before that, he was chief technology officer
    at General Motors and vice president of operations at Bristol-Myers
    Squibb."

    Let's take a look at what OS is used by those respected companies' web
    sites, shall we?:

    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.disney.com

    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.gm.com

    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.bms.com

    Hopefully they are not going to fire the new guy when he arrives to
    the inescapable conclusion that the only way to run successful data
    centers is by "violating company policy".

    -Ramon

  3. Re: The Microsoft CIO was fired because...

    ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Friday 18 January 2008 02:23 : \____

    > On Jan 17, 10:16 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >> "Scott fills a position open since November, when Microsoft fired
    >> previous CIO Stuart Scott for violating company policies. The company
    >> did not disclose which policies those were."
    >>
    >> I wonder whether recommending Linux for the server room would be
    >> considered a violation of MS company policies.
    >>
    >> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9852835-7.html
    >>
    >> -Ramon

    > "Scott comes to Microsoft from Walt Disney, where he led a major IT
    > infrastructure upgrade. Before that, he was chief technology officer
    > at General Motors and vice president of operations at Bristol-Myers
    > Squibb."
    >
    > Let's take a look at what OS is used by those respected companies' web
    > sites, shall we?:
    >
    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.disney.com
    >
    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.gm.com
    >
    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.bms.com
    >
    > Hopefully they are not going to fire the new guy when he arrives to
    > the inescapable conclusion that the only way to run successful data
    > centers is by "violating company policy".
    >
    > -Ramon

    Oops. I've just posted a dupe accidentally. I tried to find clues, but it's
    hard. My guess is that it's more to do with corruption than actual (fairly
    humorous) speculation that involves love for Linux. Once source suggested that
    he harassed women in the company, but there's no confirmation of this, so it
    could just a rumour. You know, kind of like CA's Senator groping random
    women... what was he name again, McBain?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
    Cpu(s): 25.0%us, 4.1%sy, 1.0%ni, 65.9%id, 3.7%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  4. Re: The Microsoft CIO was fired because...

    > Let's take a look at what OS is used by those respected companies' web
    > sites, shall we?:
    >
    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.disney.com
    >
    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.gm.com
    >
    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.bms.com

    Obviously the Linux "crapware" that DFS is always talking about.

    Confusing---Scott gets fired, another Scott gets hired...

  5. Re: The Microsoft CIO was fired because...

    "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" writes:

    >> Let's take a look at what OS is used by those respected companies' web
    >> sites, shall we?:
    >>
    >> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.disney.com
    >>
    >> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.gm.com
    >>
    >> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.bms.com

    > Obviously the Linux "crapware" that DFS is always talking about.
    >
    > Confusing---Scott gets fired, another Scott gets hired...

    Are you STILL harping on about servers?

  6. Re: The Microsoft CIO was fired because...

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Obviously the Linux "crapware" that DFS is always talking about.
    >
    > Confusing---Scott gets fired, another Scott gets hired...

    I'm thinking its because managing Windows servers is too labor
    intensive compared to Linux... easier to just hire someone with
    the same name so the account settings can stay the same. >)

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  7. Re: The Microsoft CIO was fired because...

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:23:02 -0600, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>
    >> Obviously the Linux "crapware" that DFS is always talking about.
    >>
    >> Confusing---Scott gets fired, another Scott gets hired...

    > I'm thinking its because managing Windows servers is too labor
    > intensive compared to Linux... easier to just hire someone with
    > the same name so the account settings can stay the same. >)
    >
    > Thad

    That's pretty funny

  8. Re: The Microsoft CIO was fired because...

    On Jan 18, 11:02 am, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    wrote:
    > > Let's take a look at what OS is used by those respected companies' web
    > > sites, shall we?:

    > >http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.disney.com

    > >http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.gm.com

    > >http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.bms.com

    > Obviously the Linux "crapware" that DFS is always talking about.
    >

    > Confusing---Scott gets fired, another Scott gets hired...

    Sott is dead!
    Long live, Scott!

    (just like the so-called "Open Document Foundation" - ODF)

    -RFH

+ Reply to Thread