Exonerated RIAA defendant scores double victory in court - Linux

This is a discussion on Exonerated RIAA defendant scores double victory in court - Linux ; A US District Court judge in Oregon has reaffirmed a magistrate's award of attorneys' fees and the dismissal of exonerated RIAA defendant Tanya Andersen's counterclaims against the RIAA without prejudice so that her class-action lawsuit against the record labels can ...

  1. Exonerated RIAA defendant scores double victory in court

    A US District Court judge in Oregon has reaffirmed a magistrate's
    award of attorneys' fees and the dismissal of exonerated RIAA
    defendant Tanya Andersen's counterclaims against the RIAA without
    prejudice so that her class-action lawsuit against the record labels
    can move ahead.

    Andersen, a disabled single mother who resides in Oregon, was sued by
    the RIAA in February 2005 for distributing gangster rap over KaZaA
    using the handle "gotenkito." ...

    Andersen was awarded attorneys' fees by the magistrate overseeing the
    case in September of last year, a decision that was quickly appealed
    by the RIAA. In a ruling noticed this morning by copyright attorney
    Ray Beckerman, Judge James A. Redden agreed with the magistrate's
    findings, writing that "the court's order dismissing Andersen's claims
    without prejudice provide a sufficient 'judicial imprimatur' on the
    'alteration of the legal relationship of the parties' to justify
    conferring prevailing party status on Andersen."

    Judge Redden also upheld the magistrate's decision to dismiss her
    counterclaims without prejudice so that they could be heard as part of
    a malicious prosecution lawsuit filed by Andersen last June after the
    RIAA's case was dismissed, citing the "interests of judicial economy
    and comprehensive litigation."

    [Her litany of accusations agains the RIAA,] including one that labels
    attempted to contact her then eight-year-old daughter under false
    pretenses without Andersen's permission.

    Andersen is seeking class-action status for her lawsuit...

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-in-court.html

    Check out the picture. She's all right.

  2. Re: Exonerated RIAA defendant scores double victory in court

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 17:58:24 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu spake thusly:
    >
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-in-court.html

    > "The RIAA has denied any wrongdoing"
    >
    > Of course, after all - stalking and intimidating a 10 year old girl by
    > "impersonating the girl's grandmother"[1], whilst conducting "illegal,
    > flawed and negligent investigations"[2], is perfectly /acceptable/ ...
    > if you're the RIAA.
    >
    > [1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06...man_sues_riaa/
    > [2] http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic....70625162738896
    >
    > The RIAA are a bunch of thugs, and it is they who should be in prison.

    I will agree with that statement [Homer].

  3. Re: Exonerated RIAA defendant scores double victory in court

    [H]omer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu spake thusly:
    >
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-in-court.html

    > "The RIAA has denied any wrongdoing"
    >
    > Of course, after all - stalking and intimidating a 10 year old girl by
    > "impersonating the girl's grandmother"[1], whilst conducting "illegal,
    > flawed and negligent investigations"[2], is perfectly /acceptable/ ...
    > if you're the RIAA.
    >
    > [1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06...man_sues_riaa/
    > [2] http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic....70625162738896
    >
    > The RIAA are a bunch of thugs, and it is they who should be in prison.

    Considering the outcomes of the Enron and Worldcom cases, the
    possibility of RIAA enforcers and their godfathers, sorry, bosses, being
    jailed, seems to be not so unlikely.

  4. Re: Exonerated RIAA defendant scores double victory in court

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 18 January 2008 23:06 : \____

    > [H]omer espoused:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu spake thusly:

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-in-court.html

    >> "The RIAA has denied any wrongdoing"
    >>
    >> Of course, after all - stalking and intimidating a 10 year old girl by
    >> "impersonating the girl's grandmother"[1], whilst conducting "illegal,
    >> flawed and negligent investigations"[2], is perfectly /acceptable/ ...
    >> if you're the RIAA.
    >>
    >> [1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06...man_sues_riaa/
    >> [2] http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic....70625162738896
    >>
    >> The RIAA are a bunch of thugs, and it is they who should be in prison.
    >>

    > Considering the outcomes of the Enron and Worldcom cases, the
    > possibility of RIAA enforcers and their godfathers, sorry, bosses, being
    > jailed, seems to be not so unlikely.

    http://geekz.co.uk/lovesraymond/arch...-the-mpaa-star

    There's a more recent one which is much funnier, but I couldn't find it. It was
    hilarious, so it's a shame...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "All your archives are (sic) belong to Google"