Re: Linux Distros Ranked, Linux Swapoff Performance Measured - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Linux Distros Ranked, Linux Swapoff Performance Measured - Linux ; After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom: > On Sep 12, 4:30 pm, Linonut wrote: >> After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom: >> >> I could see ...

  1. Re: Linux Distros Ranked, Linux Swapoff Performance Measured

    After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sep 12, 4:30 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >> I could see where, if choosing a distro were agonizing, the user might
    >> opt out of the choice. But the truth is, there is really only a
    >> handful of choices.

    > You don't think more and more people are just going to enter "Linux"
    > into their favorite search engine? I think it's grown enough to get
    > past just word of mouth recommendations.

    Linux itself is, in some sense "big", but it no longer gets the
    news-play it used to. Nor do you see Linux ads plastered all over the
    generic PC rags and office-store flyers.

    Doing a "Linux" goo-goo, here's the first link:

    http://www.linux.org/

    There's two links there, "What is Linux" and "Linux 101". The first
    isn't helpful to a chooser, but it does point to a FAQ. The second link
    is a short course.

    The FAQ button has a furgin' pop up that I accidentally clicked on to
    get to Sun propaganda. Ah, the FAQ, item 4 asks which distro is
    recommended. They punt on it.

    At this point, I think I'd find a Linux-using friend or acquaintance.

    Failing that, more goo-goo!

    --
    Tux rox!

  2. Re: Linux Distros Ranked, Linux Swapoff Performance Measured

    On Sep 13, 7:06 am, Linonut wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > > On Sep 12, 4:30 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > >> After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > >> I could see where, if choosing a distro were agonizing, the user might
    > >> opt out of the choice. But the truth is, there is really only a
    > >> handful of choices.

    > > You don't think more and more people are just going to enter "Linux"
    > > into their favorite search engine? I think it's grown enough to get
    > > past just word of mouth recommendations.

    > Linux itself is, in some sense "big", but it no longer gets the
    > news-play it used to. Nor do you see Linux ads plastered all over the
    > generic PC rags and office-store flyers.
    >
    > Doing a "Linux" goo-goo, here's the first link:
    >
    > http://www.linux.org/
    >
    > There's two links there, "What is Linux" and "Linux 101". The first
    > isn't helpful to a chooser, but it does point to a FAQ. The second link
    > is a short course.
    >
    > The FAQ button has a furgin' pop up that I accidentally clicked on to
    > get to Sun propaganda. Ah, the FAQ, item 4 asks which distro is
    > recommended. They punt on it.
    >
    > At this point, I think I'd find a Linux-using friend or acquaintance.
    >
    > Failing that, more goo-goo!
    >
    > --
    > Tux rox!

  3. Re: Linux Distros Ranked, Linux Swapoff Performance Measured

    On Sep 13, 7:06 am, Linonut wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > > On Sep 12, 4:30 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > >> After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > >> I could see where, if choosing a distro were agonizing, the user might
    > >> opt out of the choice. But the truth is, there is really only a
    > >> handful of choices.

    > > You don't think more and more people are just going to enter "Linux"
    > > into their favorite search engine? I think it's grown enough to get
    > > past just word of mouth recommendations.

    > Linux itself is, in some sense "big", but it no longer gets the
    > news-play it used to. Nor do you see Linux ads plastered all over the
    > generic PC rags and office-store flyers.
    >
    > Doing a "Linux" goo-goo, here's the first link:
    >
    > http://www.linux.org/
    >
    > There's two links there, "What is Linux" and "Linux 101". The first
    > isn't helpful to a chooser, but it does point to a FAQ. The second link
    > is a short course.
    >
    > The FAQ button has a furgin' pop up that I accidentally clicked on to
    > get to Sun propaganda. Ah, the FAQ, item 4 asks which distro is
    > recommended. They punt on it.
    >
    > At this point, I think I'd find a Linux-using friend or acquaintance.

    But if they didn't punt on that, and instead said try ubuntu. Would
    you have to find a friend?

+ Reply to Thread