[News] How Software Patent Ruin Good Software (and Games) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] How Software Patent Ruin Good Software (and Games) - Linux ; Patent concerns ,----[ Quote ] | Due to patent concerns, we won't be able to include any games in Fedora | which meet the following criteria: | | A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined point ...

  1. [News] How Software Patent Ruin Good Software (and Games)

    Patent concerns

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Due to patent concerns, we won't be able to include any games in Fedora
    | which meet the following criteria:
    |
    | A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined point
    | or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as the target(s)
    | crosses that point or line, and gets points.
    `----

    http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg00022.html

    Related:

    Legality of Fedora in production environment

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Recently the appropriate laws in my country (Russia) have beens
    | ignificantly toughened. Now the police can check for illegal software
    | usage by their own initiative (without request from the owner). The
    | tax inspection demands that software should be registered at
    | accounts departments.
    |
    | During such a checking, the user is obliged now to show all hardcopy
    | license documents (with original signatures and stamps).
    `----

    http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg00697.html

  2. Re: [News] How Software Patent Ruin Good Software (and Games)

    "[H]omer" writes:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >
    >> How could /any/ patent officer even consider these claims?
    >> Football has been around for rather longer than computers.

    > But more than just the basic concept, it's the principle that anyone
    > should be allowed to create an Intellectual Monopoly based on nothing
    > more than the location of pixels on a damned screen. It's utterly
    > ludicrous. What kind of nutcases do they have working at the US patent
    > office?

    You miss the point. The pixels are only the rendering it's the
    game play they are referring to. But you are, in principle, quite
    correct here. This patent if for real, is ludicrous.

  3. Re: [News] How Software Patent Ruin Good Software (and Games)

    [H]omer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >
    >> How could /any/ patent officer even consider these claims?
    >> Football has been around for rather longer than computers.

    > But more than just the basic concept, it's the principle that anyone
    > should be allowed to create an Intellectual Monopoly based on nothing
    > more than the location of pixels on a damned screen. It's utterly
    > ludicrous. What kind of nutcases do they have working at the US patent
    > office?

    Ones which question nothing at all, they just do what they're told to
    do.