Re: Ubuntu Autopreviewing .MP3's - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Ubuntu Autopreviewing .MP3's - Linux ; So anyway, it was like, 18:43 CEST Sep 12 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah, Erik Funkenbusch was all like, "Dude, > On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:15:49 +0200, Johan Lindquist wrote: >> So anyway, it was like, 02:28 CEST ...

  1. Re: Ubuntu Autopreviewing .MP3's

    So anyway, it was like, 18:43 CEST Sep 12 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    Erik Funkenbusch was all like, "Dude,
    > On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:15:49 +0200, Johan Lindquist wrote:
    >> So anyway, it was like, 02:28 CEST Sep 12 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    >> Erik Funkenbusch was all like, "Dude,

    >>> You think that's a good thing? So just because I move my mouse, a
    >>> song starts to play? How annoying. Yes, i'm sure it can be turned
    >>> off, but still... what a ****ing stupid idea.

    >> Don't worry, I'm sure you'll just love it (and promptly forget what
    >> a ****ing stupid idea it seemed before) once it's available for
    >> whatever version of ms windows that happens to be the latest craze
    >> at that time.

    > You're sure, eh?

    Fairly sure.

    > There is only one case I can think of where i've changed my mind
    > about a feature, and that's popup blockers. [..]

    I can help you remember another one, if you like.

    > I have not changed my stance on Virtual Desktops, despite Microsoft
    > offering VD powertoys.

    If you say so. I could go looking, but since I already recall another
    time, let's go with that one instead.

    > I haven't changed my opinion on tabbed browsing, despite IE7
    > offering it.

    Right. Except for that one time when you realised you started to like
    them. Maybe that's outside of your definition of "opinion" though, one
    can actually never be sure about these things when it comes to you.
    Perhaps it's a "lost in translation" thing.

    There's about five or six paragraphs where you applaud this nifty
    feature called "tabbed browsing" that IE7 has, that's apparently much
    better than the firefox variant, even though the things you like about
    it in IE7 can be configured in firefox as well. Maybe you just couldn't
    be arsed to explore the feature before IE7 had it, who knows?

    > I haven't changed my opinion virtually anything. So why would you
    > say something like that?

    Let's just call it a hunch, mkay?

    [..]

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    10:49:00 up 15 days, 50 min, 5 users, load average: 0.19, 0.35, 0.33

  2. Re: Ubuntu Autopreviewing .MP3's

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:01:08 +0200, Johan Lindquist wrote:

    >> I haven't changed my opinion on tabbed browsing, despite IE7
    >> offering it.

    > Right. Except for that one time when you realised you started to like
    > them. Maybe that's outside of your definition of "opinion" though, one
    > can actually never be sure about these things when it comes to you.
    > Perhaps it's a "lost in translation" thing.

    I said "a bit", and I still find, after almost a year of using IE7 that I
    still don't use tabs, because of the problems I have with the violation of
    the UI guidelines.

    I still like many of the other features of IE7, just not tabbed browsing
    all that much.

    > There's about five or six paragraphs where you applaud this nifty
    > feature called "tabbed browsing" that IE7 has, that's apparently much
    > better than the firefox variant, even though the things you like about
    > it in IE7 can be configured in firefox as well. Maybe you just couldn't
    > be arsed to explore the feature before IE7 had it, who knows?

    Again, I said I liked it better in IE7 than I did in FF. And no, you can't
    configure FF to act like IE7. You can't make FF, for instance, require
    that you click on a tab first before it activates the close X, which means
    it's entirely too easy to close a tab while you're trying to activate it.
    And you still can't put a new tab button in the tab area.

    Regardless, I just don't like tabs that much.

    >> I haven't changed my opinion virtually anything. So why would you
    >> say something like that?

    > Let's just call it a hunch, mkay?

    Whatever.

  3. Re: Ubuntu Autopreviewing .MP3's

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:27:56 -0500,
    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:01:08 +0200, Johan Lindquist wrote:
    >
    >>> I haven't changed my opinion on tabbed browsing, despite IE7
    >>> offering it.

    >> Right. Except for that one time when you realised you started to like
    >> them. Maybe that's outside of your definition of "opinion" though, one
    >> can actually never be sure about these things when it comes to you.
    >> Perhaps it's a "lost in translation" thing.
    >>

    > I said "a bit", and I still find, after almost a year of using IE7 that I
    > still don't use tabs, because of the problems I have with the violation of
    > the UI guidelines.
    >
    > I still like many of the other features of IE7, just not tabbed browsing
    > all that much.
    >
    >> There's about five or six paragraphs where you applaud this nifty
    >> feature called "tabbed browsing" that IE7 has, that's apparently much
    >> better than the firefox variant, even though the things you like about
    >> it in IE7 can be configured in firefox as well. Maybe you just couldn't
    >> be arsed to explore the feature before IE7 had it, who knows?

    > Again, I said I liked it better in IE7 than I did in FF. And no, you can't
    > configure FF to act like IE7. You can't make FF, for instance, require
    > that you click on a tab first before it activates the close X, which means

    Yes, you can. It may even be the default, dunno, it's how my FF is set
    up here and at home.

    > it's entirely too easy to close a tab while you're trying to activate it.
    > And you still can't put a new tab button in the tab area.

    yes you can, ctrl-t

    > Regardless, I just don't like tabs that much.
    >
    >>> I haven't changed my opinion virtually anything. So why would you
    >>> say something like that?

    >> Let's just call it a hunch, mkay?

    > Whatever.

    "The Secret of Zen lies in just two words: Not Always So.."
    - Shunryu Suzuki

  4. Re: Ubuntu Autopreviewing .MP3's

    So anyway, it was like, 18:27 CEST Sep 13 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    Erik Funkenbusch was all like, "Dude,
    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:01:08 +0200, Johan Lindquist wrote:

    >>> I haven't changed my opinion on tabbed browsing, despite IE7
    >>> offering it.

    >> Right. Except for that one time when you realised you started to
    >> like them. Maybe that's outside of your definition of "opinion"
    >> though, one can actually never be sure about these things when it
    >> comes to you. Perhaps it's a "lost in translation" thing.
    >>

    > I said "a bit", and I still find, after almost a year of using IE7
    > that I still don't use tabs, because of the problems I have with the
    > violation of the UI guidelines.

    Does this mean you take exception to the user interface of VS2005 and
    the SQL2005 management studio as well then?

    > I still like many of the other features of IE7, just not tabbed
    > browsing all that much.
    >
    >> There's about five or six paragraphs where you applaud this nifty
    >> feature called "tabbed browsing" that IE7 has, that's apparently
    >> much better than the firefox variant, even though the things you
    >> like about it in IE7 can be configured in firefox as well. Maybe
    >> you just couldn't be arsed to explore the feature before IE7 had
    >> it, who knows?

    > Again, I said I liked it better in IE7 than I did in FF. And no, you
    > can't configure FF to act like IE7.

    So certain, are you? Well, maybe you really mean that /you/ can't, but
    for other people it's certainly possible.

    > You can't make FF, for instance, require that you click on a tab
    > first before it activates the close X,

    I have no "close X" on any of my tabs in firefox. I do have one at the
    rightmost end of the tab bar though, it closes the currently active
    tab when I click it. Mostly I just right-click the tab I want to close
    or press ctrl-w, since I find that much quicker.

    > which means it's entirely too easy to close a tab while you're
    > trying to activate it.

    That depends entirely on how many tabs you have open and what you set
    the minimum width of the tabs to, but I do see your point. In fact, I
    personally don't like of having a close button on each individual tab
    in the first place.

    > And you still can't put a new tab button in the tab area.

    Again, /you/ might not have the required skills to do so, but I
    certainly can put a new tab button in the tab area. I don't want one
    there, since I just push ctrl-t to get a frech tab or press alt-return
    after typing in a URL to make it open in a new tab.

    > Regardless, I just don't like tabs that much.

    Your previous article indicated you did, and it also indicated a
    change of mind (the "I never thought I'd say this, but.." part).

    I do like tabs a lot, since this lets me organise web pages into
    categories, I can have all the relevant pages to a project I'm working
    on, or an issue I'm looking into all gathered in one window.

    This makes "switching context" just a matter of switching firefox
    window. That's neither here nor there, though, I just wanted to point
    out to you that you seemed to have forgotten changing your mind over
    a feature, and for some reason just as it became available on a
    microsoft product.

    >>> I haven't changed my opinion virtually anything. So why would you
    >>> say something like that?

    >> Let's just call it a hunch, mkay?

    > Whatever.

    Well put.

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    09:10:55 up 15 days, 23:12, 2 users, load average: 0.17, 0.19, 0.18

  5. Re: Ubuntu Autopreviewing .MP3's

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:42:09 +0200, Johan Lindquist wrote:

    >> I said "a bit", and I still find, after almost a year of using IE7
    >> that I still don't use tabs, because of the problems I have with the
    >> violation of the UI guidelines.

    > Does this mean you take exception to the user interface of VS2005 and
    > the SQL2005 management studio as well then?

    No, of course not. Those are MDI interfaces, where individual documents
    are all related to the same project.

    Web pages, while they may be related, are usually not. Also, I don't nkow
    about you, but I tend to work with a lot of external applications when i'm
    using web pages, which makes it much easier to alt-tab and find the page
    i'm looking for than it is to Alt-tab to the browser, then ctrl-tab to the
    page.

    >> Again, I said I liked it better in IE7 than I did in FF. And no, you
    >> can't configure FF to act like IE7.

    > So certain, are you? Well, maybe you really mean that /you/ can't, but
    > for other people it's certainly possible.

    Oh, I suppose you're going to tell me there are extensions that will do
    this. Funny how you guys will bitch and moan about having to find device
    drivers to install your OS, but then gush about having to spend hours
    finding extensions for your browser to make it more functional.

    >> You can't make FF, for instance, require that you click on a tab
    >> first before it activates the close X,

    > I have no "close X" on any of my tabs in firefox. I do have one at the
    > rightmost end of the tab bar though, it closes the currently active
    > tab when I click it. Mostly I just right-click the tab I want to close
    > or press ctrl-w, since I find that much quicker.

    You must be using an older version of FireFox, it's not been that way in
    quite a while. And that's even worse. I'm currently using a Dell 30"
    display (2560 pixels wide), that means to close a tab I have to move the
    mouse to the far right of the screen. Yes, I could right click on the tab
    and choose close, but that defeats the purpose.

    >> Regardless, I just don't like tabs that much.

    > Your previous article indicated you did, and it also indicated a
    > change of mind (the "I never thought I'd say this, but.." part).

    No, that article I indidcated I liked them "a bit" better than I had
    before, and that was because of the way that IE had implemented them. That
    doesn't mean I like them overall.

    > I do like tabs a lot, since this lets me organise web pages into
    > categories, I can have all the relevant pages to a project I'm working
    > on, or an issue I'm looking into all gathered in one window.

    If FF didn't use so damn much memory per open page I could see how you
    would find that useful, but I can't imagine, unless you've got 8GB, that
    having dozens of pages open would be all that useful in FF.

  6. Re: Ubuntu Autopreviewing .MP3's

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:28:00 -0500,
    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:42:09 +0200, Johan Lindquist wrote:
    >
    >>> I said "a bit", and I still find, after almost a year of using IE7
    >>> that I still don't use tabs, because of the problems I have with the
    >>> violation of the UI guidelines.

    >> Does this mean you take exception to the user interface of VS2005 and
    >> the SQL2005 management studio as well then?

    > No, of course not. Those are MDI interfaces, where individual documents
    > are all related to the same project.
    >
    > Web pages, while they may be related, are usually not. Also, I don't nkow
    > about you, but I tend to work with a lot of external applications when i'm
    > using web pages, which makes it much easier to alt-tab and find the page
    > i'm looking for than it is to Alt-tab to the browser, then ctrl-tab to the
    > page.

    So pull the tab out of the browser, and it becomes it's own window. At
    least with FF, dunno about ie7.

    >>> Again, I said I liked it better in IE7 than I did in FF. And no, you
    >>> can't configure FF to act like IE7.

    >> So certain, are you? Well, maybe you really mean that /you/ can't, but
    >> for other people it's certainly possible.

    > Oh, I suppose you're going to tell me there are extensions that will do
    > this. Funny how you guys will bitch and moan about having to find device
    > drivers to install your OS, but then gush about having to spend hours
    > finding extensions for your browser to make it more functional.

    you claimed it couldn't be done.

    >>> You can't make FF, for instance, require that you click on a tab
    >>> first before it activates the close X,

    >> I have no "close X" on any of my tabs in firefox. I do have one at the
    >> rightmost end of the tab bar though, it closes the currently active
    >> tab when I click it. Mostly I just right-click the tab I want to close
    >> or press ctrl-w, since I find that much quicker.

    > You must be using an older version of FireFox, it's not been that way in
    > quite a while. And that's even worse. I'm currently using a Dell 30"
    > display (2560 pixels wide), that means to close a tab I have to move the
    > mouse to the far right of the screen. Yes, I could right click on the tab
    > and choose close, but that defeats the purpose.

    I just hit ctrl-w, but that's me.

    >>> Regardless, I just don't like tabs that much.

    >> Your previous article indicated you did, and it also indicated a
    >> change of mind (the "I never thought I'd say this, but.." part).

    > No, that article I indidcated I liked them "a bit" better than I had
    > before, and that was because of the way that IE had implemented them. That
    > doesn't mean I like them overall.
    >
    >> I do like tabs a lot, since this lets me organise web pages into
    >> categories, I can have all the relevant pages to a project I'm working
    >> on, or an issue I'm looking into all gathered in one window.

    > If FF didn't use so damn much memory per open page I could see how you
    > would find that useful, but I can't imagine, unless you've got 8GB, that
    > having dozens of pages open would be all that useful in FF.

    13 tabs open in 2 FF windows. FF using 77MB resident, 187MB virtual.
    Looks fine to me.

    "If guns cause crime, mine must be defective." -Ted Nugent

  7. Re: Ubuntu Autopreviewing .MP3's

    So anyway, it was like, 19:28 CEST Sep 14 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    Erik Funkenbusch was all like, "Dude,
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:42:09 +0200, Johan Lindquist wrote:

    >>> I said "a bit", and I still find, after almost a year of using IE7
    >>> that I still don't use tabs, because of the problems I have with
    >>> the violation of the UI guidelines.

    >> Does this mean you take exception to the user interface of VS2005
    >> and the SQL2005 management studio as well then?

    > No, of course not. Those are MDI interfaces, where individual
    > documents are all related to the same project.

    So tabs are okay, UI-wise as long as they only contain..
    project-related documents? I guess that's one way of looking at it.

    > Web pages, while they may be related, are usually not.

    I tend to keep ones that /are/ related in the same window, so that
    makes all the tabs I have in one firefox window related. It would be
    fairly silly to keep pages that are unrelated to the context in the
    same window, since that would totally defeat the concept of grouping
    related pages together. You know?

    > Also, I don't nkow about you,

    Apparently you don't. At all.

    > but I tend to work with a lot of external applications when i'm
    > using web pages, which makes it much easier to alt-tab and find the
    > page i'm looking for than it is to Alt-tab to the browser, then
    > ctrl-tab to the page.

    I wouldn't know, I don't ctrl-tab. I switch back to the browser, and
    if the page I was looking at last time isn't the one I still want, I
    pick another from the row of tabs. They're titled, so I find it pretty
    easy.

    >>> Again, I said I liked it better in IE7 than I did in FF. And no,
    >>> you can't configure FF to act like IE7.

    >> So certain, are you? Well, maybe you really mean that /you/ can't,
    >> but for other people it's certainly possible.

    > Oh, I suppose you're going to tell me there are extensions that will
    > do this.

    There are, in fact. How clever of you to suss that out!

    > Funny how you guys

    Which guys are those, exactly?

    > will bitch and moan about having to find device drivers to install
    > your OS, but then gush about having to spend hours finding
    > extensions for your browser to make it more functional.

    It took me a few minutes to find that particular extension the first
    time I went looking for it. Now, since I know what it's called, I can
    find it quicker.

    Why does it take you hours to find an extension for firefox?

    Or, rather, why is it you always exaggerate the time it takes to do
    something you don't do yourself, while doing stuff your way takes
    nanoseconds (you do recall how fast you claimed to be able to alt-tab,
    don't you)?

    >>> You can't make FF, for instance, require that you click on a tab
    >>> first before it activates the close X,

    >> I have no "close X" on any of my tabs in firefox. I do have one at
    >> the rightmost end of the tab bar though, it closes the currently
    >> active tab when I click it. Mostly I just right-click the tab I
    >> want to close or press ctrl-w, since I find that much quicker.

    > You must be using an older version of FireFox, it's not been that
    > way in quite a while.

    Now you're just making **** up. My firefox (on the computer I'm
    sitting at right now, at least) is version 2.0.0.4, admittedly it's
    two minor releases old by now, but that really /is/ the way it is
    right now.

    Thanks for the reminder to update it though.

    > And that's even worse.

    What is worse than what? I mentioned about three different things in
    that paragraph, which one are you talking about?

    > I'm currently using a Dell 30" display (2560 pixels wide),

    Oooh, shiny! Good for you! There's this thing called "pointer
    acceleration", you might want to check it out.

    > that means to close a tab I have to move the mouse to the far right
    > of the screen.

    No, you could middle-click (I'm sorry, I wrote right-click by mistake
    before, that would mean two clicks to close. Middle-clicking once
    closes the tab, and that's what I do.) or press ctrl-w, saving you
    the trouble of travelling all the way over there. As I said.

    > Yes, I could right click on the tab and choose close, but that
    > defeats the purpose.

    Um, how? It closes the tab. Even if you do count the two clicks, which
    was my mistake. Let's try it again with the middle-click approach,
    what is wrong with that, compared to left-clicking an X that only
    displays on your active tab (this is also configurable in firefox,
    btw, if that's what you prefer) would you say?

    >>> Regardless, I just don't like tabs that much.

    >> Your previous article indicated you did, and it also indicated a
    >> change of mind (the "I never thought I'd say this, but.." part).

    > No, that article I indidcated I liked them "a bit" better than I
    > had before, and that was because of the way that IE had implemented
    > them. That doesn't mean I like them overall.

    It means you changed your mind about a feature, which was what I
    wanted to point out to you. That and the coincidentality with it being
    available in IE7.

    >> I do like tabs a lot, since this lets me organise web pages into
    >> categories, I can have all the relevant pages to a project I'm
    >> working on, or an issue I'm looking into all gathered in one
    >> window.

    > If FF didn't use so damn much memory per open page I could see how
    > you would find that useful, but I can't imagine

    You should work on that.

    > unless you've got 8GB, that having dozens of pages open would be all
    > that useful in FF.

    Obviously, if that was a problem, it would be a problem. I don't find
    it to be a problem, though, not to mention how completely unrelated it
    is to the subject of firefox being configurable in a way you claim it
    is not.

    Wanna try once more to stick to the subject?

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    22:21:23 up 16 days, 12:22, 3 users, load average: 0.15, 0.12, 0.09

+ Reply to Thread