Re: [News] OpenOffice.org is Rising, Gets the Blessing of the ODF Alliance - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] OpenOffice.org is Rising, Gets the Blessing of the ODF Alliance - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz wrote: > The Continuing Rise of OpenOffice.org > > ,----[ Quote ] > | At the risk of repetition... why are we (both) interested? Do we really > | believe the growing OpenOffice population will have an impact ...

  1. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org is Rising, Gets the Blessing of the ODF Alliance

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > The Continuing Rise of OpenOffice.org
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | At the risk of repetition... why are we (both) interested? Do we really
    > | believe the growing OpenOffice population will have an impact on the
    > | world's datacenters (where both of us make our living)? Obviously, yes.
    > `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/sunblog/070911/...e_id.html?.v=2

    I have been pleasently surprised to see OpenOffice turning up in unexpected
    places.

    A fellow IT'er who I have had many a chew-the-cud and augument sessions
    with, because he is 100% Windows (it's all tongue in cheek arguing). But he
    sent me something in 'ods' format. When I asked he said he had loaded
    OpenOffice quite some time ago, but normally saved the file as a Word
    document, partticularly if he was sending it to me, just this time he had
    forgotten.

    I saw OpenOffice on a Vista PC, I had no idea that there was a Vista
    version. Actually I just had a look at the site for my beloved StarOffice
    (my friend for many years now, me and StarOffice are like a married couple
    .... ok, yes I did fill this in, but I know you each have your own so I
    deleted it and will let you use your own quip). Anyway, StarOffice is
    available for Vista too.

  2. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org is Rising, Gets the Blessing of the ODF Alliance

    ____/ BearItAll on Thursday 13 September 2007 09:35 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> The Continuing Rise of OpenOffice.org
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | At the risk of repetition... why are we (both) interested? Do we really
    >> | believe the growing OpenOffice population will have an impact on the
    >> | world's datacenters (where both of us make our living)? Obviously, yes.
    >> `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/sunblog/070911/...e_id.html?.v=2

    > I have been pleasently surprised to see OpenOffice turning up in unexpected
    > places.
    >
    > A fellow IT'er who I have had many a chew-the-cud and augument sessions
    > with, because he is 100% Windows (it's all tongue in cheek arguing). But he
    > sent me something in 'ods' format. When I asked he said he had loaded
    > OpenOffice quite some time ago, but normally saved the file as a Word
    > document, partticularly if he was sending it to me, just this time he had
    > forgotten.
    >
    > I saw OpenOffice on a Vista PC, I had no idea that there was a Vista
    > version. Actually I just had a look at the site for my beloved StarOffice
    > (my friend for many years now, me and StarOffice are like a married couple
    > ... ok, yes I did fill this in, but I know you each have your own so I
    > deleted it and will let you use your own quip). Anyway, StarOffice is
    > available for Vista too.

    It's funny that compatibility issues in Vista made it something to be referred
    to as though it's no longer Windows, when in fact it's more like XP in a gown,
    with fewer applications and some driver headaches).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | One, Two, Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
    14:05:01 up 3 days, 12:11, 3 users, load average: 0.04, 0.36, 0.61