Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work? - Linux

This is a discussion on Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work? - Linux ; I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but three's the charm, and I want to know: who seriously uses Linux here for serious work? I define "serious work" as work done by the mainstream, such as ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 134

  1. Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    three's the charm, and I want to know:

    who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    I define "serious work" as work done by the mainstream, such as
    spreadsheets, word processing, and graphical slide show presentations,
    in a medium that is widely adopted or adoptable by the masses.

    So, I'm pretty much talking about extensions such as .doc, .xls, .ppt,
    and .pdf in the Windows world.

    So, I'm pretty much ruling out anything from the Linux world.

    So, I'm pretty much stating the obvious in a rhetorical question:
    nobody uses Linux for mainstream computing; everybody uses Windows.

    RL

  2. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    > three's the charm, and I want to know:
    >
    > who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?
    >
    > I define "serious work" as work done by the mainstream, such as
    > spreadsheets, word processing, and graphical slide show presentations,
    > in a medium that is widely adopted or adoptable by the masses.
    >
    > So, I'm pretty much talking about extensions such as .doc, .xls, .ppt,
    > and .pdf in the Windows world.
    >
    > So, I'm pretty much ruling out anything from the Linux world.
    >
    > So, I'm pretty much stating the obvious in a rhetorical question:
    > nobody uses Linux for mainstream computing; everybody uses Windows.
    >
    > RL

    Idiot
    --
    Microsoft? Is that some kind of a toilet paper?

  3. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Micoshoft astroturfer "raylopez99" wrote on behalf of
    Big copycat company
    > I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    > three's the charm, and I want to know:
    >
    > who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    I do.

    If you're able to read message headers, you will see I'm writing this in
    Windows Live Mail on my neighbour's Windows XP box (he shares his Internet
    Connection with me), so we use the same (dynamic) IP adress.

    I'm writing it on his box, because he has problems, with Windows (as
    usuall). And needs a Linux fanboy to get the Windows crapware fixed.
    Hilarious isn't it?

    This is allo why I'm able to see this message comming from you, because on
    my GNU/Linux box, using Thunderbird 2, all you trolls are killfiled for all
    eternity

    Personally I don't even have a Windows box in my apartment. So I'm using
    Linux exclusivly for _ALL_ my work and entertainment.

    > I define "serious work" as work done by the mainstream, such as
    > spreadsheets, word processing, and graphical slide show presentations,
    > in a medium that is widely adopted or adoptable by the masses.

    Ever heard of OpenOffice.org, Abiword, Gnummeric and the likes?

    > So, I'm pretty much talking about extensions such as .doc, .xls, .ppt,
    > and .pdf in the Windows world.

    Why would I want those propietary crap file formats, which are incompatible
    with older versions?
    I use ODF.

    Beside that, English is not my native language and on GNU/Linux, using
    Thunderbird I rely prety much on the build in spell checker (which gives me
    te oppertunity to even write correct Hebrew).

    This Windows Live Mail thingy doesn't even have a spell checker and
    switching to Hebrew is even out of the question.

    > So, I'm pretty much ruling out anything from the Linux world.
    >
    > So, I'm pretty much stating the obvious in a rhetorical question:
    > nobody uses Linux for mainstream computing; everybody uses Windows.

    This year many public services in my country will migrate to GNU/Linux and
    Open Standards.

    Conclusion: You are fantast, living in a parallel universe with your own
    reality.

    Sorry to disturb you in your dream, you have lost contact with reality.

    Marti van Lin
    On Microsoft CrapOS

  4. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    >> three's the charm, and I want to know:

    You did, now bugger off you boring repetitive twat.

    > Idiot

    Has the bum got nothing better to do...

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed

  5. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 06:41:25 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    > three's the charm, and I want to know:
    >
    > who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?
    >
    > I define "serious work" as work done by the mainstream, such as
    > spreadsheets, word processing, and graphical slide show presentations,
    > in a medium that is widely adopted or adoptable by the masses.
    >
    > So, I'm pretty much talking about extensions such as .doc, .xls, .ppt,
    > and .pdf in the Windows world.
    >
    > So, I'm pretty much ruling out anything from the Linux world.
    >
    > So, I'm pretty much stating the obvious in a rhetorical question:
    > nobody uses Linux for mainstream computing; everybody uses Windows.
    >
    > RL

    I realize that you will redefine 'serious' as necessary to exclude all
    answers, but I use Gnucash and Gnumeric to track my financial portfolio. I
    have also prepared (using OpenOffice Impress on Linux) the complete
    powerpoint file required by Olan Mills to produce a pictorial directory -
    with zero complaints from them.

  6. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    >> three's the charm, and I want to know:
    >>
    >> who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    I do, and yes you asked this stupid question several times, you twit.

    >> I define "serious work" as work done by the mainstream, such as
    >> spreadsheets, word processing, and graphical slide show presentations,
    >> in a medium that is widely adopted or adoptable by the masses.

    Ever heard of OpenOffice.org, Abiword, Gnummeric and the likes and BTW,
    OOo and both Abiword export PDF right out of the box.

    >> So, I'm pretty much talking about extensions such as .doc, .xls, .ppt,
    >> and .pdf in the Windows world.

    Why would I limit my self to proprietary file formats, which are often
    made incompatible with its predecessors?

    >> So, I'm pretty much ruling out anything from the Linux world.

    Fine, thus you should stay out of Linux newsgroups too!

    >> So, I'm pretty much stating the obvious in a rhetorical question:
    >> nobody uses Linux for mainstream computing; everybody uses Windows.

    You are a dreamer, living in a parallel Universe in your own reality.

    You claim you are a scientist and thus you rudely insult every *real*
    scientist.

    Probably you just have the same inferiority complex Quack is suffering
    from. And likely you are just a Quack Nym.

    >> RL

    > Idiot

    Yup, the self assumed "Rocking scientist" RL probably has a master
    degree with hons (or Phd) making a fool out of himself.

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  7. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Jan 15, 9:41 am, raylopez99 wrote:
    > I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    > three's the charm, and I want to know:

    > who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    I do.

    > I define "serious work" as work done by the mainstream, such as
    > spreadsheets, word processing, and graphical slide show presentations,
    > in a medium that is widely adopted or adoptable by the masses.

    I use OpenOffice and StarOffice for these functions.

    > So, I'm pretty much talking about extensions such as .doc, .xls, .ppt,
    > and .pdf in the Windows world.

    The nice thing about OpenOffice is that I can share ODF documents
    (odt, ods, odp) files with anyone willing to take 15 minutes to
    download and install OO. If they are in the same room with me, I can
    just give them a thumb drive so they can install it themselves.

    I can also review their .doc, .xls, and .ppt files as well. I can
    make updates as well, but there are slight formatting changes.

    If I have someone who is really fussy and won't install Open Office,
    then I can use Windows in a VMWare client with VMWare player, and know
    exactly what it will look like for the Windows user. Of course, Linux
    has a virtual desktop, so I can put the Windows desktop on one of my
    virtual desktops, and still have 3 or 5 other desktops for other
    functional groups of applications.

    As for creating PDF files, Open Office is the easiest way to do that.
    I can just open the ODF or MS-Office document, and save it as PDF.

    > So, I'm pretty much ruling out anything from the Linux world.

    Anything that runs exclusively on Linux perhaps. But there is lots of
    OSS that runs on BOTH Windows and Linux.

    > So, I'm pretty much stating the obvious in a rhetorical question:
    > nobody uses Linux for mainstream computing; everybody uses Windows.

    Of course, I also use Linux for servers, and Linux on the desktop
    makes it real easy to develop and preview content before I put it on
    the servers. I also have a number of clients on Linux that just
    wouldn't work very well on Windows. For example, I can use X11 to
    access GUI applications on other Linux systems. I have several
    collaboration tools, including subversion, cvs, and git. I can use
    Linux emulation (cygwin) to put those functions on Windows as well.
    This is a really useful way to use Linux tools with a team that
    includes lots of Windows users.

    > RL

    Rex

  8. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Hadron wrote:

    > Which of the commercial ones run on Linux?

    here's a site that lists many commercial accounting products for
    Linux/Unix.....

    http://www.aaxnet.com/design/linuxacct.html

    --
    Say No to OXML
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9594#mpart8

  9. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, raylopez99

    wrote
    on Tue, 15 Jan 2008 06:41:25 -0800 (PST)
    <6c66cfe5-f6d0-437a-836e-430ecff6d0bf@f47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>:
    > I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    > three's the charm, and I want to know:

    Sure you do.

    > who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Define "serious work". In any event, no one can directly
    use Linux the kernel[*]; it's all applications. Did you want
    to reframe your question?

    In theory, most of the applications for "serious work"
    would compile on Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, and yes, even
    Windows (the main problems in OSX and Windows' case being
    interoperability with native cut and paste).

    > I define "serious work" as work done by the mainstream, such as
    > spreadsheets, word processing, and graphical slide show presentations,
    > in a medium that is widely adopted or adoptable by the masses.

    Spreadsheets: I'm not an accountant. The few times I use them
    for graphing, I use OpenOffice.

    Word processing: I use Linux, vi, and a Web browser for what little
    word processing I do -- and it's more like website development.
    I write HTML in my sleep. (If I'm not careful, I'll *dream* of
    writing HTML in my sleep, though most of my work is in Eclipse anyway,
    for software development.)

    Graphical slide show presentations: Very rare for me. However,
    I can use Impress (part of OpenOffice).

    Medium: Are you referring to email? Or what?

    > So, I'm pretty much talking about extensions such as .doc, .xls, .ppt,
    > and .pdf in the Windows world.

    PDF is not Windows. If one wants presentations, one wants .ppt.
    Spreadsheets get .xls. Word gets .doc.

    > So, I'm pretty much ruling out anything from the Linux world.

    Congratulations. You've progressed from merely dopey to
    imbecilic to now moronic. Care to try for stupid?

    > So, I'm pretty much stating the obvious in a rhetorical question:
    > nobody uses Linux for mainstream computing; everybody uses Windows.

    Everybody that is anybody, apparently. Let them eat cake.

    :-P

    > RL

    [*] it is possible to use int $0x80 on Intel hardware to
    call the Linux kernel. This is of course extremely
    geeky and probably not relevant to the main thrust of
    your question.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Resource temporarily unavailable

  10. Re: Who seriously uses Micoshaft here for serious work?

    Micoshat Corporation Asstroturfer raylopez99 wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    Corporation:

    I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    three's the charm, and I want to know:

    who seriously uses Micoshaft crapa here for serious work?

    I define "serious work" as work done by the mainstream, such as
    spreadsheets, word processing, and gnumeric,
    in a medium that is widely adopted or adoptable by the masses
    we all know as Linux.

    So, I'm pretty much talking about extensions such as .odf, .html, .php,
    and .sh in the Linux world.

    So, I'm pretty much ruling out anything from the windopws viri ridden world
    because I assume 40% of those PCs are infected and prevents them from
    being counted as being productive machines.

    So, I'm pretty much stating the obvious in a rhetorical question:
    nobody uses clippy for mainstream computing; everybody uses Linux.

    > RL

    Linux now expanding at the rate of 1 million+ distributions per month
    and embedded Linux is selling 1 million embedded devices PER MONTH.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  11. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Jan 15, 11:32*am, ray wrote:

    > You obviously have no concept of what you are talking about. I worked for
    > 30 years in DOD doing scientifc software support and development. I
    > retired three years ago. The entire environment for producing and using
    > significant sofware is so much superior in Linux to what MS plops out that
    > there is absolutely no comparison.

    Right. And I'm sure you have done the "comparison", right?

    > BTW - I'm talking here about serious
    > useage - national defense, scientific researc, not just piddling around in
    > you back yard. It was not at all unusual for me, using Linux tools, to
    > completely design and implement a user interface in half the time or less
    > of the folks who did the MS thing.

    OK. I'll buy that. By your own admission then, you are a s/w coding
    guru, because you've done the comparison and are competent in
    evaluating coding in Windows (with it's own idiosyncratic APIs) and
    coding in Linux. You concluded that Linux is superior. Fine. Do you
    know how many people like you exist on the planet? A small room can
    hold all of them.

    For the rest of us mere mortals, there's Windows. And 99% of the
    computing public agrees.

    RL

  12. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Jan 15, 10:22*am, Gordon wrote:

    Hey Gordon--thanks for the link to GNUcash. I'm downloading it
    now...all 50.5MB bloatware of it (Windows version). LOL. If it's
    better than my home grown program, which I designed in a week as a
    programming exercise (and I hope it should be), then I'll use it,
    otherwise not.

    RL

  13. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > For the rest of us mere mortals, there's Windows. And 99% of the
    > computing public agrees.

    not this hoary old chestnut again...99% of the public ARE NOT
    GIVEN ANY CHOICE - READ MY LIPS - NO CHOICE.

    --
    Say No to OXML
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9594#mpart8
    Email address not monitored - reply to group

  14. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Jan 15, 10:22 am, Gordon wrote:
    >
    > Hey Gordon--thanks for the link to GNUcash. I'm downloading it
    > now...all 50.5MB bloatware of it (Windows version). LOL. If it's
    > better than my home grown program, which I designed in a week as a
    > programming exercise (and I hope it should be), then I'll use it,
    > otherwise not.
    >
    > RL

    So if your turns out to be superior, then release it under GPL so
    everyone can share...

    --
    Say No to OXML
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9594#mpart8
    Email address not monitored - reply to group

  15. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Jan 15, 1:04*pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Jan 15, 10:22*am, Gordon wrote:
    >
    > Hey Gordon--thanks for the link to GNUcash. *I'm downloading it
    > now...all 50.5MB bloatware of it (Windows version). LOL. *If it's
    > better than my home grown program, which I designed in a week as a
    > programming exercise (and I hope it should be), then I'll use it,
    > otherwise not.
    >
    > RL

    I'm going through the program now...it seems OK, but I am suspicious
    of the User Manual (UM) which uses lots of "!" and other such sales
    techniques. The interface is not intutitive (contrary to the UM)--way
    too many seperate windows pop up for my taste. But, if I get used to
    it and use it, it's worth the price (free), which you can't beat, not
    unlike my $3 copy of Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate. Frankly however,
    I doubt it will replace PeachTree that I use for accounting in my
    small business and the Excel spreadsheet which I use for serious
    analysis of my stocks, the quotes of which I download directly into
    Excel (no coding required), but so far, it does look more
    comprehensive than "my one week to code" Access project, as it should
    (since GNUcash has been a work in progress for over a decade according
    to the UM). And it took up 250 MB on my HD, 50MB compressed.
    Bloatware, as is typical of "open source" (like Open Office).

    BTW I'm not against 'free'--so long as it doesn't affect the MSFT
    franchise and my stock profits.

    RL

  16. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Jan 15, 1:57*pm, Gordon wrote:
    > raylopez99 wrote:

    > not this hoary old chestnut again...99% of the public ARE NOT
    > GIVEN ANY CHOICE - READ MY LIPS - NO CHOICE. * *

    No choice? Well the political theorist Thomas Hobbes thought about
    why people agree to government. His conclusion: giving up some
    liberties is worth the price. Otherwise life is nasty, brutish and
    short (like Linux's evolution). Read him online (they've translated
    his works to modern English recently). Or get the Schram outline crib
    or Wikipedia him.

    Bottom line: 99% of the public has willingly given up "choice" since
    they don't want to go back to the bad old days of pre-windows where
    every vendor wrote their own video and printer drivers for every
    application, and the interface was not standardized but
    idiosyncratic.

    Hey, that sounds like Linux--idiosyncratic= weird, like the Linux
    users here.

    RL

  17. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Bloatware, as is typical of "open source" (like Open Office).

    Eh? If you think that, then I would be VERY suspicious of your financial
    expertise - numbers obviously not your strong point.

    On my system - Win XP SP2.
    Size of Office 2007 + SP1 on disk - 415 MB + MS Office Shared folder -
    256 MB - a grand total of 671 MB!!!
    Open office 2.3.1 + Tbird 2.0.0.9 as outlook substitute - 337MB

    And you have the TEMERITY to call Open Office BLOATWARE?

    --
    Say No to OXML
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9594#mpart8
    Email address not monitored - reply to group

  18. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Bloatware, as is typical of "open source" (like Open Office).

    Eh? If you think that, then I would be VERY suspicious of your financial
    expertise - numbers obviously not your strong point.

    On my system - Win XP SP2.
    Size of Office 2007 SP1 on disk - 310 MB
    Open office 2.3.1 + Tbird 2.0.0.9 as outlook substitute -

    --
    Say No to OXML
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9594#mpart8
    Email address not monitored - reply to group

  19. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Jan 15, 1:57 pm, Gordon wrote:
    >> raylopez99 wrote:

    >> not this hoary old chestnut again...99% of the public ARE NOT
    >> GIVEN ANY CHOICE - READ MY LIPS - NO CHOICE.
    >>

    > No choice? Well the political theorist Thomas Hobbes thought about
    > why people agree to government. His conclusion: giving up some
    > liberties is worth the price. Otherwise life is nasty, brutish and
    > short (like Linux's evolution). Read him online (they've translated
    > his works to modern English recently). Or get the Schram outline crib
    > or Wikipedia him.
    >
    > Bottom line: 99% of the public has willingly given up "choice" since
    > they don't want to go back to the bad old days of pre-windows where
    > every vendor wrote their own video and printer drivers for every
    > application, and the interface was not standardized but
    > idiosyncratic.
    >
    > Hey, that sounds like Linux--idiosyncratic= weird, like the Linux
    > users here.

    There's a serious fallacy in your argument - the massed public didn't
    HAVE computers before Windows 3.1 - apart from some toys like the
    Commodore 64 and the Amiga that is...and we all know how Windows 3.1
    gave out spurious error messages if it wasn't running on anything other
    than MSDOS....

    --
    Say No to OXML
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9594#mpart8
    Email address not monitored - reply to group

  20. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 06:41:25 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    > three's the charm, and I want to know:
    >
    > who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Practically everyone here.

    > I define "serious work" as work done by the mainstream, such as
    > spreadsheets, word processing, and graphical slide show presentations,
    > in a medium that is widely adopted or adoptable by the masses.
    >
    > So, I'm pretty much talking about extensions such as .doc, .xls, .ppt,
    > and .pdf in the Windows world.
    >
    > So, I'm pretty much ruling out anything from the Linux world.
    >
    > So, I'm pretty much stating the obvious in a rhetorical question:
    > nobody uses Linux for mainstream computing; everybody uses Windows.

    Wrong.

    --
    Kier

+ Reply to Thread