Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work? - Linux

This is a discussion on Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work? - Linux ; RonB wrote: > croaton wrote: > >> Ever heard of OpenOffice.org > > In my last job (not the current one) we used Windows XP -- but not M$ > Office. When we updated the machines we replace M$ Office ...

  1. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    RonB wrote:
    > croaton wrote:
    >
    >> Ever heard of OpenOffice.org

    > In my last job (not the current one) we used Windows XP -- but not M$
    > Office. When we updated the machines we replace M$ Office with OpenOffice
    > for Windows. And most of the people didn't even notice the difference. Just
    > another upgrade. And my boss was a big M$ fan -- he just didn't see any
    > reason to upgrade and/or buy new M$ Office licenses when OpenOffice did the
    > job well.

    A couple of years ago I worked somewhere that did a major desktop
    migration. It went like this:

    1. Replace IE with Firefox
    2. Replace MS-Office with OpenOffice
    3. Replace PC collaboration suite with web based tools
    4. Migrate remaining Windows servers to Linux
    5. Finally, replace Windows desktops with Linux wherever desired.

    The goal of this migration was not to change completely to
    Linux but rather to move toward platform nuetral technologies
    so the Linux using engineering departments could more easily
    integrate with the rest of the network without having two PCs
    on every desk. Each of the individual component migrations
    could be justified on their own (Firefox for security, OpenOffice
    for license savings, web based tools to allow easier remote
    collaboration ...), but collectively they add up to a 'vendor
    neutral desktop'. That translates into greater flexibility,
    control over the upgrade cycle, and various long term cost
    savings.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  2. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

    > Wow. You've left out CAD and engineering...

    You recently slunk away several times after claiming "most serious
    engineering apps" haven't been ported to Windows.

    Which apps?

  3. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    > A couple of years ago I worked somewhere that did a major desktop
    > migration. ¬*It went like this:
    >
    > 1. Replace IE with Firefox
    > 2. Replace MS-Office with OpenOffice
    > 3. Replace PC collaboration suite with web based tools
    > 4. Migrate remaining Windows servers to Linux
    > 5. Finally, replace Windows desktops with Linux wherever desired.
    >
    > The goal of this migration was not to change completely to
    > Linux but rather to move toward platform nuetral technologies
    > so the Linux using engineering departments could more easily
    > integrate with the rest of the network without having two PCs
    > on every desk. ¬*Each of the individual component migrations
    > could be justified on their own (Firefox for security, OpenOffice
    > for license savings, web based tools to allow easier remote
    > collaboration ...), but collectively they add up to a 'vendor
    > neutral desktop'. ¬*That translates into greater flexibility,
    > control over the upgrade cycle, and various long term cost
    > savings.

    Makes sense. Why limit yourself to a few proprietary programs, when,
    the Web Browser has become the main interface for server-based applications
    anyhow? I think when it's all said and done, OpenOffice will do more to
    break the M$ monopoly than any other product. There's nothing we are doing
    at my current job that couldn't be done exactly as you've detailed above.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    RonB wrote:

    > I think when it's all said and done, OpenOffice
    > will do more to break the M$ monopoly than any other product.

    Give or take what, 50 more years?

    It's been about 7.5 years already, and there's absolutely no sign of OO.org
    impinging on MS Office's complete and utter worldwide dominance of office
    productivity software (note for Linopoly: dominance ? monopoly).

    I don't deny it has potential - it's already a good program considering it's
    free of cost - but it will have to be much better than MS Office to
    accomplish what you think it will.

  5. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    DFS wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >
    >> I think when it's all said and done, OpenOffice
    >> will do more to break the M$ monopoly than any other product.

    > Give or take what, 50 more years?
    >
    > It's been about 7.5 years already, and there's absolutely no sign of
    > OO.org impinging on MS Office's complete and utter worldwide dominance of
    > office productivity software (note for Linopoly: dominance ? monopoly).
    >
    > I don't deny it has potential - it's already a good program considering
    > it's free of cost - but it will have to be much better than MS Office to
    > accomplish what you think it will.

    We'll see. The demise of empires and monopolies usually start slowly, but
    deep down the erosion is much more serious than any one would have thought
    (when looking back, with the benefit of hindsight).

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  6. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    RonB wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> RonB wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think when it's all said and done, OpenOffice
    >>> will do more to break the M$ monopoly than any other product.

    >> Give or take what, 50 more years?
    >>
    >> It's been about 7.5 years already, and there's absolutely no sign of
    >> OO.org impinging on MS Office's complete and utter worldwide
    >> dominance of office productivity software (note for Linopoly:
    >> dominance ? monopoly).
    >>
    >> I don't deny it has potential - it's already a good program
    >> considering it's free of cost - but it will have to be much better
    >> than MS Office to accomplish what you think it will.

    > We'll see. The demise of empires and monopolies usually start slowly,
    > but deep down the erosion is much more serious than any one would
    > have thought (when looking back, with the benefit of hindsight).

  7. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    RonB wrote:
    > croaton wrote:
    >
    >> Ever heard of OpenOffice.org

    > In my last job (not the current one) we used Windows XP -- but not M$
    > Office. When we updated the machines we replace M$ Office with OpenOffice
    > for Windows. And most of the people didn't even notice the difference. Just
    > another upgrade. And my boss was a big M$ fan -- he just didn't see any
    > reason to upgrade and/or buy new M$ Office licenses when OpenOffice did the
    > job well.

    I've said this often - the leaning curve going from MS Office (prior to
    2007)to Open Office is no more than going from MS Office 2002 to MS
    Office 2003...
    Now I wonder if the fact that MS chose to radically alter the Office
    2007 GUI will be a fillip for OO, or whether it will have the opposite
    effect....discuss!

    --
    Say No to OXML
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9594#mpart8

  8. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 01:27:25 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >
    >> I think when it's all said and done, OpenOffice
    >> will do more to break the M$ monopoly than any other product.

    > Give or take what, 50 more years?
    >
    > It's been about 7.5 years already, and there's absolutely no sign of OO.org
    > impinging on MS Office's complete and utter worldwide dominance of office
    > productivity software (note for Linopoly: dominance ? monopoly).
    >
    > I don't deny it has potential - it's already a good program considering it's
    > free of cost - but it will have to be much better than MS Office to
    > accomplish what you think it will.

    For those already tied to it, perhaps. But what about those who *begin* by
    using OpenOffice, and never touch MS Office in the first place?

    --
    Kier

  9. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> The goal of this migration was not to change completely to
    >> Linux but rather to move toward platform nuetral technologies
    >> so the Linux using engineering departments could more easily
    >> integrate with the rest of the network without having two PCs
    >> on every desk.

    > huh? A few VMWare licenses and they're good to go.

    No harm in payin' double in DFS-land!

    > In almost all cases (situations like 100,000 Google Linux servers excluded),
    > cost saving is neither a necessary nor a sufficient reason to use OSS junk.

    You are so out of touch it is pathetic.

    --
    Neutrinos are into physicists.

  10. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > RonB wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Give or take what, 50 more years?
    >>>
    >>> It's been about 7.5 years already, and there's absolutely no sign of
    >>> OO.org impinging on MS Office's complete and utter worldwide
    >>> dominance of office productivity software (note for Linopoly:
    >>> dominance ? monopoly).
    >>>
    >>> I don't deny it has potential - it's already a good program
    >>> considering it's free of cost - but it will have to be much better
    >>> than MS Office to accomplish what you think it will.

    >> We'll see. The demise of empires and monopolies usually start slowly,
    >> but deep down the erosion is much more serious than any one would
    >> have thought (when looking back, with the benefit of hindsight).

    Finally, an intelligent post from DFS.

    Doh!

    --
    A beautiful woman is a blessing from Heaven, but a good cigar is a smoke.
    -- Kipling

  11. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    * Paul Hovnanian P.E. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > No. You confined your set of s/w to Microsoft products alone.
    >
    > Don't think that other developers haven't noticed this as well. They can
    > either find a niche so small that they will remain under Microsoft's
    > radar (and abandon all hopes of growing their business).

    Isn't it kind of an aphorism by now that PC software companies hope to
    get large enough and successful enough that Microsoft will buy them?

    --
    "Pascal is Pascal is Pascal is dog meat."
    -- M. Devine and P. Larson, Computer Science 340

  12. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
    >
    >> Wow. You've left out CAD and engineering...

    > You recently slunk away several times after claiming "most serious
    > engineering apps" haven't been ported to Windows.
    >
    > Which apps?

    For me, that would be valgrind.

    --
    share, n.:
    To give in, endure humiliation.

  13. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > The 3rd most popular development environment (Visual Basic) isn't even
    > available on Linux. Conversely, every language available on Linux is
    > available on Windows (as far as I know). And if MS hadn't thrown you guys a
    > bone and made C# a standard, that would be another wildly popular language
    > not available for Linux.

    You're confusing "development environment" and "language".

    No wonder no one around here takes you seriously.

    --
    Some men who fear that they are playing second fiddle aren't in the
    band at all.

  14. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Linonut wrote:

    > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wow. You've left out CAD and engineering...

    >> You recently slunk away several times after claiming "most serious
    >> engineering apps" haven't been ported to Windows.
    >>
    >> Which apps?

    > For me, that would be valgrind.

    Icecream, for some serious big projects
    --
    Yield to Temptation ... it may not pass your way again.
    -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"

  15. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> RonB wrote:

    >>> We'll see. The demise of empires and monopolies usually start
    >>> slowly, but deep down the erosion is much more serious than any one
    >>> would have thought (when looking back, with the benefit of
    >>> hindsight).

    > Finally, an intelligent post from DFS.
    >
    > Doh!

    I know you're being sincere

    What makes it sound intelligent is I left out any personal attacks on OSS
    morons (what came over me?). And I used the $2 word 'impinging'.

  16. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Gordon wrote:

    > Now I wonder if the fact that MS chose to radically alter the Office
    > 2007 GUI will be a fillip for OO, or whether it will have the opposite
    > effect....discuss!

    Opposite.

    Huge Office 2007 sales:
    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...fice_2007.html

    And
    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...ear_later.html

    "Office 2007's biggest selling point is its major difference from
    predecessors: The overhauled user interface, which major element Microsoft
    calls the ribbon."

    "The user interface changes make Office 2007 look and feel dramatically
    fresh, even though most features are unchanged. They're simply more
    accessible and usable."

  17. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Finally, an intelligent post from DFS.
    >>
    >> Doh!

    > I know you're being sincere
    >
    > What makes it sound intelligent is I left out any personal attacks on OSS
    > morons (what came over me?). And I used the $2 word 'impinging'.

    Actually, my sarcastic remark applies to the post where you added no
    text at all.

    --
    my computer was once one of the building blocks of a great
    pyramid

  18. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    * Peter KŲhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> You recently slunk away several times after claiming "most serious
    >>> engineering apps" haven't been ported to Windows.
    >>>
    >>> Which apps?

    >> For me, that would be valgrind.

    > Icecream, for some serious big projects

    I assume you're talking about the compile cluster, not the media-stream
    download utility .

    http://en.opensuse.org/Icecream

    versus

    http://icecream.sourceforge.net/

    --
    If a 6600 used paper tape instead of core memory, it would use up tape
    at about 30 miles/second.

  19. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "The user interface changes make Office 2007 look and feel dramatically
    > fresh, even though most features are unchanged. They're simply more
    > accessible and usable."

    And will totally f'up your keystroke macros, I would imagine.

    The sig below reminds me of this:

    When Chuck Norris does a push-up, he is moving the Earth away from
    his body.

    --
    When you jump for joy, beware that no-one moves the ground from beneath
    your feet.

  20. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> For me, that would be valgrind.

    >> Icecream, for some serious big projects

    > I assume you're talking about the compile cluster, not the media-stream
    > download utility .
    >
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Icecream

    Right. That's the one. A fine SuSE project

    > versus
    >
    > http://icecream.sourceforge.net/

    Right. For big projects, it surely is bringing down the compile time. I
    cluster 4 linux machines in that case, sometimes even a fifth one

    Too bad that it is not available for windows. I have one project which has a
    compile time of several hours when done completely (luckily rarely needed)
    --
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!