Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work? - Linux

This is a discussion on Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work? - Linux ; On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:10:55 -0800, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote: > raylopez99 wrote: >> >> I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but >> three's the charm, and I want to know: >> >> who ...

  1. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:10:55 -0800, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >>
    >> I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    >> three's the charm, and I want to know:
    >>
    >> who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    > I track repeating instances of stupid questions posted on c.o.l.a. using
    > Linux.

    I don't read raylopez99's garbage, but I did see this thread.

    I use it almost exclusively at work. My work-assigned laptop is running
    Ubuntu 7.10. All our servers run Linux unless they are vendor supplied
    platforms. Of those platforms, two are running FreeBSD and 6 are running
    Windows (with the caveat that those 6 servers are required for running
    two PSTN-IP gateways - 3 servers for each gateway)

  2. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:09:19 +0000, Kier wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 06:41:25 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    >> three's the charm, and I want to know:
    >>
    >> who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    > Practically everyone here.
    >

    >> I define "serious work" as work done by the mainstream, such as
    >> spreadsheets, word processing, and graphical slide show presentations,
    >> in a medium that is widely adopted or adoptable by the masses.
    >>
    >> So, I'm pretty much talking about extensions such as .doc, .xls, .ppt,
    >> and .pdf in the Windows world.
    >>
    >> So, I'm pretty much ruling out anything from the Linux world.
    >>
    >> So, I'm pretty much stating the obvious in a rhetorical question:
    >> nobody uses Linux for mainstream computing; everybody uses Windows.

    > Wrong.

    No kidding. All of those things regarding .doc, .xls and .ppt I do in
    Linux using OpenOffice.org right now. I also generate PDFs using both
    OpenOffice.org and CUPS and read them with evince and Adobe Reader.

    Anyhow, that's not "serious" work, that's just office work; stuff that
    can be done with a 1GHz P4. Hell, my 3.2GHz P4 stays scaled down to
    1.6GHz 90% of the day as that's what I do on it all day. (I also run
    email, ssh, rdp/vnc and web browsers all day).

    Serious work is switching 20 calls per second of long distance traffic.
    Serious work is recording all those call attempts into a database.
    Serious work is calculating the rates on those calls and invoicing the
    customers while reconciling with the vendors.

    Can you do that on 2 servers (one switch and one database/billing server)
    using Windows? I know I can do that with Linux. I wouldn't trust windows
    to do that on anything less than 4 servers.

  3. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    * raylopez99 peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    > three's the charm...

    For the third time, kiss off.

    --
    Cat, n.:
    Lapwarmer with built-in buzzer.

  4. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Step by step, day by day, machine by machine, the penguins march forward.

  5. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    > three's the charm, and I want to know:
    >
    > who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?
    >
    > I define "serious work" as work done by the mainstream, such as
    > spreadsheets, word processing, and graphical slide show presentations,
    > in a medium that is widely adopted or adoptable by the masses.

    Wow. You've left out CAD and engineering, point-of-sale, medical, legal
    and a host of other applications. Not that Windows isn't present in
    these fields, but I think you have a narrow view of the world. Namely
    one in which Microsoft products handle all of the 'work'. Not even a
    mention of your faithful (Hah!) Windows applications vendors.

    I say 'Hah!' because your oversight says a lot about how Microsoft and
    its fan boys see the world. One in which nothing other than apps written
    by Microsoft matter. Developers deploying 3rd party apps are starting to
    figure this out as well, and that will only benefit Linux.

    > So, I'm pretty much talking about extensions such as .doc, .xls, .ppt,
    > and .pdf in the Windows world.

    Lots of .pdf is generated on Linux systems. It happens to be the _only_
    format specifically intended for document distribution out of your list.

    In fact, not all .doc or .xls formats are interoperable across various
    versions of Microsoft's own applications.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
    If God is perfect then why did He create discontinuous functions?

  6. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 06:41:25 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    > three's the charm, and I want to know:
    >
    > who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?
    >
    > I define "serious work" as work done by the mainstream, such as
    > spreadsheets, word processing, and graphical slide show presentations,
    > in a medium that is widely adopted or adoptable by the masses.
    >
    > So, I'm pretty much talking about extensions such as .doc, .xls, .ppt,
    > and .pdf in the Windows world.
    >
    > So, I'm pretty much ruling out anything from the Linux world.
    >
    > So, I'm pretty much stating the obvious in a rhetorical question: nobody
    > uses Linux for mainstream computing; everybody uses Windows.
    >
    > RL

    I do, every single day troll. Now go away and stop babbling.

  7. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    In article
    <6c66cfe5-f6d0-437a-836e-430ecff6d0bf@f47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
    raylopez99 wrote:

    > I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    > three's the charm, and I want to know:
    >
    > who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?
    >
    > I define "serious work" as work done by the mainstream, such as
    > spreadsheets, word processing, and graphical slide show presentations,
    > in a medium that is widely adopted or adoptable by the masses.

    Wait a second...why are you dismissing out of hand such things as
    processing customer orders, charging credit cards, running the phone
    system and the customer support database of a call center, and things
    like that?

    How is that not serious work???

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Gordon writes:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >> On Jan 15, 10:22 am, Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >> Hey Gordon--thanks for the link to GNUcash. I'm downloading it
    >> now...all 50.5MB bloatware of it (Windows version). LOL. If it's
    >> better than my home grown program, which I designed in a week as a
    >> programming exercise (and I hope it should be), then I'll use it,
    >> otherwise not.
    >>
    >> RL

    > So if your turns out to be superior, then release it under GPL so
    > everyone can share...

    You will be asking Hypocrite Omer to do the same with the news stats
    code?

  9. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Hadron wrote:
    > Gordon writes:
    >
    >> raylopez99 wrote:
    >>> On Jan 15, 10:22 am, Gordon wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hey Gordon--thanks for the link to GNUcash. I'm downloading it
    >>> now...all 50.5MB bloatware of it (Windows version). LOL. If it's
    >>> better than my home grown program, which I designed in a week as a
    >>> programming exercise (and I hope it should be), then I'll use it,
    >>> otherwise not.
    >>>
    >>> RL

    >> So if your turns out to be superior, then release it under GPL so
    >> everyone can share...

    > You will be asking Hypocrite Omer to do the same with the news stats
    > code?

    I didn't know there was any new stats code....

    --
    Say No to OXML
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9594#mpart8

  10. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Gordon writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Gordon writes:

    >>> So if your turns out to be superior, then release it under GPL so
    >>> everyone can share...

    >> You will be asking Hypocrite Omer to do the same with the news stats
    >> code?

    > I didn't know there was any new stats code....

    They tweak it weekly ....

  11. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Hadron wrote:

    > Gordon writes:
    >
    >> raylopez99 wrote:
    >>> On Jan 15, 10:22 am, Gordon wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hey Gordon--thanks for the link to GNUcash. I'm downloading it
    >>> now...all 50.5MB bloatware of it (Windows version). LOL. If it's
    >>> better than my home grown program, which I designed in a week as a
    >>> programming exercise (and I hope it should be), then I'll use it,
    >>> otherwise not.
    >>>
    >>> RL

    >> So if your turns out to be superior, then release it under GPL so
    >> everyone can share...

    > You will be asking Hypocrite Omer to do the same with the news stats
    > code?

    Why should he open it for twits like you?

    You are aware that there is absolutely no requirement to do so, are you?
    --
    Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
    Let it get in YOUR way. The problem for your problem.

  12. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Kier wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 06:41:25 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    >> three's the charm, and I want to know:
    >>
    >> who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    >Practically everyone here.

    Why does this same troll get so well rewarded by responses? I just
    don't get it.

  13. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:41:27 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Gordon writes:
    >
    >> raylopez99 wrote:
    >>> On Jan 15, 10:22 am, Gordon wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hey Gordon--thanks for the link to GNUcash. I'm downloading it
    >>> now...all 50.5MB bloatware of it (Windows version). LOL. If it's
    >>> better than my home grown program, which I designed in a week as a
    >>> programming exercise (and I hope it should be), then I'll use it,
    >>> otherwise not.
    >>>
    >>> RL

    >> So if your turns out to be superior, then release it under GPL so
    >> everyone can share...

    > You will be asking Hypocrite Omer to do the same with the news stats
    > code?

    There you go.
    Hypocrisy at it's finest.

  14. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:23:18 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon writes:

    >>> So if your turns out to be superior, then release it under GPL so
    >>> everyone can share...

    >> You will be asking Hypocrite Omer to do the same with the news stats
    >> code?

    > Why should he open it for twits like you?

    If you were actually a Linux advocate, which obviously you are not since
    you use Windows, you should be asking why the source isn't posted.
    Expecially when a boob like [Homer], a radical Linux zealot, expects others
    to release their code.

  15. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:23:18 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> You will be asking Hypocrite Omer to do the same with the news stats
    >>> code?

    >> Why should he open it for twits like you?

    > If you were actually a Linux advocate, which obviously you are not since
    > you use Windows, you should be asking why the source isn't posted.
    > Expecially when a boob like [Homer], a radical Linux zealot, expects
    > others to release their code.

    I would not post the source either. Especially not for twits like you
    --
    Microsoft: which revised Eula do you want to accept today?

  16. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Jan 16, 6:59*am, chrisv wrote:

    > Why does this same troll get so well rewarded by responses? *I just
    > don't get it.

    Why/ What, are you jealous, bitch?

    Quit your bitching and moaning. I get responses because I add value.
    It's not enough to cut and paste links that anybody can get by
    Googling "linux" like your fiend Roy.

    RL

  17. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    On Jan 15, 6:39*pm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

    > Wow. You've left out CAD and engineering, point-of-sale, medical, legal
    > and a host of other applications. Not that Windows isn't present in
    > these fields, but I think you have a narrow view of the world. Namely
    > one in which Microsoft products handle all of the 'work'. Not even a
    > mention of your faithful (Hah!) Windows applications vendors.

    Yes, and I left out Apple programs and Unix programs and IBM System
    360 programs. But I define "serious" as "mainstream, as used by
    Windows". Circular but sound logic, if you think about it.

    > I say 'Hah!' because your oversight says a lot about how Microsoft and
    > its fan boys see the world. One in which nothing other than apps written
    > by Microsoft matter. Developers deploying 3rd party apps are starting to
    > figure this out as well, and that will only benefit Linux.

    How so? I think the dream of 3rd party apps is to get acquired by
    Redmond for a tidy sum.

    > In fact, not all .doc or .xls formats are interoperable across various
    > versions of Microsoft's own applications.

    All the more reason to upgrade / upsize to the latest version of s/w
    coming out of Redmond.

    RL

  18. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    croaton wrote:

    > Ever heard of OpenOffice.org

    In my last job (not the current one) we used Windows XP -- but not M$
    Office. When we updated the machines we replace M$ Office with OpenOffice
    for Windows. And most of the people didn't even notice the difference. Just
    another upgrade. And my boss was a big M$ fan -- he just didn't see any
    reason to upgrade and/or buy new M$ Office licenses when OpenOffice did the
    job well.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  19. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Jan 15, 6:39 pm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:
    >
    > > Wow. You've left out CAD and engineering, point-of-sale, medical, legal
    > > and a host of other applications. Not that Windows isn't present in
    > > these fields, but I think you have a narrow view of the world. Namely
    > > one in which Microsoft products handle all of the 'work'. Not even a
    > > mention of your faithful (Hah!) Windows applications vendors.

    > Yes, and I left out Apple programs and Unix programs and IBM System
    > 360 programs. But I define "serious" as "mainstream, as used by
    > Windows". Circular but sound logic, if you think about it.

    No. You confined your set of s/w to Microsoft products alone.

    Don't think that other developers haven't noticed this as well. They can
    either find a niche so small that they will remain under Microsoft's
    radar (and abandon all hopes of growing their business).

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
    David Bradley (IBM programmer who created the Ctrl-Alt-Del reboot

  20. Re: Who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    chrisv wrote:

    > Kier wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 06:41:25 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:
    > >
    > >> I know I've probably asked this question at least twice before, but
    > >> three's the charm, and I want to know:
    > >>
    > >> who seriously uses Linux here for serious work?

    > >Practically everyone here.

    > Why does this same troll get so well rewarded by responses? I just
    > don't get it.

    We're hoping that once he gets his free laptop, he'll piss off.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
    APL is a write-only language. I can write programs in APL, but I