Re: [News] BECTA Wants ODF While Microsoft Bribes to 'Kill' ODF - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] BECTA Wants ODF While Microsoft Bribes to 'Kill' ODF - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz espoused: > Becta promises to do more to promote open source in UK schools > > ,----[ Quote ] >| ?We remain concerned about the approach taken to supporting ODF in Office >| 2007. While the product includes ...

  1. Re: [News] BECTA Wants ODF While Microsoft Bribes to 'Kill' ODF

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Becta promises to do more to promote open source in UK schools
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| ?We remain concerned about the approach taken to supporting ODF in Office
    >| 2007. While the product includes the functionality to read virtually every
    >| other relevant file format ?out of the box?, the processes for dealing with
    >| ODF files are very cumbersome. We identified ten steps that users would need
    >| to take in order to locate and install the converter that gives Office 2007
    >| the ability to access ODF files and note that the arrangements for opening
    >| and saving ODF files in Microsoft Office 2007 are not intuitive in that they
    >| deviate from the normal approach familiar to users. We believe that these
    >| arrangements present sufficient technical difficulties for the majority of
    >| users to make them disinclined to use competitor products and this may weaken
    >| competition.?
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...in-uk-schools/

    Why on earth don't Becta just mandate ODF through oo.org, gnome office,
    kde office or some other free software solution?

    This is hardly rocket science.

  2. Re: [News] BECTA Wants ODF While Microsoft Bribes to 'Kill' ODF

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 15 January 2008 09:44 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Becta promises to do more to promote open source in UK schools
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| ?We remain concerned about the approach taken to supporting ODF in Office
    >>| 2007. While the product includes the functionality to read virtually every
    >>| other relevant file format ?out of the box?, the processes for dealing with
    >>| ODF files are very cumbersome. We identified ten steps that users would
    >>| need to take in order to locate and install the converter that gives Office
    >>| 2007 the ability to access ODF files and note that the arrangements for
    >>| opening and saving ODF files in Microsoft Office 2007 are not intuitive in
    >>| that they deviate from the normal approach familiar to users. We believe
    >>| that these arrangements present sufficient technical difficulties for the
    >>| majority of users to make them disinclined to use competitor products and
    >>| this may weaken competition.?
    >> `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...in-uk-schools/

    > Why on earth don't Becta just mandate ODF through oo.org, gnome office,
    > kde office or some other free software solution?
    >
    > This is hardly rocket science.

    Rocking the procurement boat, as Andy Updegrove recently put it, can cost some
    jobs. Shillcosystem, remember? Good ol boyz club. Friends covers another
    friend's back... or wallet.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards
    Tasks: 160 total, 1 running, 159 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie