[News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car - Linux ; Car PC supports dual displays under Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Mini-PC manufacturer SD-Omega has announced a Linux-compatible mini-PC that | can run two displays simultaneously. The SD631T Dual Display is primarily | intended as a car PC that can ...

  1. [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    Car PC supports dual displays under Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mini-PC manufacturer SD-Omega has announced a Linux-compatible mini-PC that
    | can run two displays simultaneously. The SD631T Dual Display is primarily
    | intended as a car PC that can drive both a GPS display for the driver and an
    | entertainment and Net-surfing display for passengers.
    `----

    Debug tool adds ARM11 support

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ronetix has released another firmware update for its Linux-friendly combo
    | JTAG/BDM emulator and flash programmer. The PEEDI JTAG/BDM Emulator and Flash
    | Programmer now supports all ARM11 processors, including Freescale's i.MX31
    | mobile applications processor, according to the vendor.
    `----

    CLP rival Linux stack claims to halve Android development time

    http://www.google-phone.com/clp-riva...time-14256.php

    Related:

    Driver-Free Car Runs Ubuntu Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This automated vehicle uses a dozen Intel Core 2 processors, but at the
    | bottom of the software stack is Ubuntu 6.06 "Dapper Drake" Linux. Ubuntu 6.06
    | was chosen for being an LTS (Long Term Support) release. Perhaps next year's
    | vehicle will be running Ubuntu 8.04? ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjI3NA

    Linux Powered PS3 to be used in DARPA Urban Challenge

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With four years of autonomous racing experience and using Yellow Dog Linux,
    | San Diego's Axion Racing is excited about showing folks other things that can
    | be done using a PlayStation console. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/aug/...rban_challenge

    Car computer runs Red Flag Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Red Flag Linux is a Chinese version of Linux based on Asianux.
    `----

    Vehicle-mount computer runs Debian Etch

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The MT7550 clocks its AMD Geode GX533 processor at 400 MHz, includes both
    | Bluetooth and 802.11b/g wireless capabilities, and comes standard with Debian
    | Linux 4.0 ("Etch"). ¬*
    `----

    Rugged, fanless vehicle PC runs Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Acrosser has introduced a compact, fanless computer aimed at the harsh
    | environments found in trucks, taxis, and other vehicular applications. The
    | AR-ES0831FL runs Linux on Pentium and Celeron M processors, and meets
    | IEC-68-2-6 vibration and IEC-68-2-27 shock standards, according to the
    | company. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    In-vehicle Linux system assists first responders

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | U.K.-based Thorcom Systems Ltd is shipping a rugged, Debian Linux-based,
    | in-vehicle computer intended for emergency first responders. T
    `----

    OSMB: OScar, the Open Source car

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The first to be presented was the Open Source car called OScar.
    | For eight years, a community that has grown to far over 1,000
    | people has been working on the development of a car based on
    | Open Source, though the project's founder Markus stressed that
    | the goal is development, not production. The automotive industry
    | has, however, already showed interest in the concept.
    `----

    Debian Linux controls copter-like UAV [Unmanned Aerial Vehicle]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Trek Aerospace used Debian Linux and open-source flight control
    | software to build an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) capable of
    | vertical take-off and landing (VTOL). The Oviwun weighs about
    | six pounds, fits in a backpack, and includes a GPS system that
    | enables autonomous flight and position control.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:05:28 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote stuff... but
    I'm adding something SOT.

    I found out that my Sirius Sportster 4 radio is running eCos... yes,
    that's the OSS RTOS located at http://ecos.sourceware.org/

    Not shabby at all.

  3. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:29:37 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that alt spake thusly:
    >> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:05:28 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote stuff... but

    >> I'm adding something SOT.
    >>

    >> I found out that my Sirius Sportster 4 radio is running eCos... yes,
    >> that's the OSS RTOS located at http://ecos.sourceware.org/
    >>
    >> Not shabby at all.

    > Interesting.
    >
    > Apparently this was originally a Red Hat project, subsequently donated
    > to the community:
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/about/presscen...s_eCosFSF.html
    >
    > Not Linux though.
    >
    > Here's another interesting non-Linux GPL licensed OS:
    >
    > http://www.menuetos.net

    As much as I love linux, it's not the right tool all the time. I really
    don't see why I would use Linux on an embedded device. I'm not talking
    smartphones and the like, but on very specialized systems - like my
    Sirius radio - which don't have or need a lot of memory or CPU.

    just my 2 (canadian) cents.

  4. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    ____/ alt on Thursday 17 January 2008 00:56 : \____

    > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:29:37 +0000, [H]omer wrote:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that alt spake thusly:
    >>> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:05:28 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote stuff... but

    >>> I'm adding something SOT.
    >>>

    >>> I found out that my Sirius Sportster 4 radio is running eCos... yes,
    >>> that's the OSS RTOS located at http://ecos.sourceware.org/
    >>>
    >>> Not shabby at all.

    >> Interesting.
    >>
    >> Apparently this was originally a Red Hat project, subsequently donated
    >> to the community:
    >>
    >> http://www.redhat.com/about/presscen...s_eCosFSF.html
    >>
    >> Not Linux though.
    >>
    >> Here's another interesting non-Linux GPL licensed OS:
    >>
    >> http://www.menuetos.net

    > As much as I love linux, it's not the right tool all the time. I really
    > don't see why I would use Linux on an embedded device. I'm not talking
    > smartphones and the like, but on very specialized systems - like my
    > Sirius radio - which don't have or need a lot of memory or CPU.
    >
    > just my 2 (canadian) cents.

    There is at least one recent survey which proved closed embedded systems get
    replaces by open ones.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "It just tells you how desperate Microsoft is for a competitor that they’re
    holding up a software box produced by 100 guys in the hills of North Carolina.
    Who are they trying to kid?"

    --Robert Young, CEO of Red Hat

  5. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    alt wrote:

    > As much as I love linux, it's not the right tool all the time. I really
    > don't see why I would use Linux on an embedded device. I'm not talking
    > smartphones and the like, but on very specialized systems - like my
    > Sirius radio - which don't have or need a lot of memory or CPU.
    >
    > just my 2 (canadian) cents.

    Actually, Linux is hugely popular as an embedded OS. Obviously
    it does not make sense for extremely simple devices, but nowadays
    you can cram a hellofalot of computer onto a very tiny board.
    There is the hugely popular PC-104 form factor and now even
    smaller 'gum stick' computers the size of key fob that can run
    Linux. I've personally worked on Linux computers embedded in
    airplanes, cars, MRI machines, handheld games, and now cable
    television video equipment. The board sizes ranged from high
    end multi-processor rigs to tiny singleboard computers not much
    bigger than a credit card.

    Linux would be overkill for a Sirius radio receiver that just
    receives one station at a time, but if you have a high end
    model that can play one station while recording several others,
    can store and play MP3s, and has an LCD interface, well then it
    begins to make sense to consider Linux.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  6. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > There is at least one recent survey which proved closed embedded systems get
    > replaces by open ones.

    I've seen anecdotal evidence that supports that, but haven't
    seen an actual formal stufy of the matter. I would be very
    interested in reading that if you can point me to it.

    Thanks,

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  7. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    ____/ thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com on Thursday 17 January 2008 04:13 :
    \____

    > alt wrote:
    >>
    >> As much as I love linux, it's not the right tool all the time. I really
    >> don't see why I would use Linux on an embedded device. I'm not talking
    >> smartphones and the like, but on very specialized systems - like my
    >> Sirius radio - which don't have or need a lot of memory or CPU.
    >>
    >> just my 2 (canadian) cents.

    > Actually, Linux is hugely popular as an embedded OS. Obviously
    > it does not make sense for extremely simple devices, but nowadays
    > you can cram a hellofalot of computer onto a very tiny board.
    > There is the hugely popular PC-104 form factor and now even
    > smaller 'gum stick' computers the size of key fob that can run
    > Linux. I've personally worked on Linux computers embedded in
    > airplanes, cars, MRI machines, handheld games, and now cable
    > television video equipment. The board sizes ranged from high
    > end multi-processor rigs to tiny singleboard computers not much
    > bigger than a credit card.
    >
    > Linux would be overkill for a Sirius radio receiver that just
    > receives one station at a time, but if you have a high end
    > model that can play one station while recording several others,
    > can store and play MP3s, and has an LCD interface, well then it
    > begins to make sense to consider Linux.

    Exactly. Recently I've seen things like a Linux-based alarm clock or photo
    frame. Sounds like an overkill, no? Well, they are also MP3 players, Wi-Fi
    receivers and all sorts of funky stuff. Their price is still very low. As you
    rightly stated, Linux can be put on small and very cheap boards. It's very
    commoditised. It's like buying aspirin. That's why Microsoft is so afraid of
    ODF as well, not just Linux, but that's another story.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Somebody, give this politician a wedgie"
    Mem: 515500k total, 444108k used, 71392k free, 6412k buffers

  8. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    ____/ thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com on Thursday 17 January 2008 04:16 :
    \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> There is at least one recent survey which proved closed embedded systems get
    >> replaces by open ones.

    > I've seen anecdotal evidence that supports that, but haven't
    > seen an actual formal stufy of the matter. I would be very
    > interested in reading that if you can point me to it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Thad

    Here is the most recent that I saw just 2 days ago:

    Open season on OSes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to the "2007 Embedded Market Study," Embedded Systems Design
    | magazine's survey of embedded designers, the use of commercial operating
    | systems is trending downward, while the use of open-source OSes is on the
    | rise. On one hand, this comes as no surprise. On the other, it's alarming.
    | Let me explain. ¬* ¬*
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In attempt to cover all bets, some of the commercial OS vendors, including
    | Wind River, have a Linux offering. But the jury is still out on whether
    | that's a working strategy. ¬*
    |
    | In my opinion, the vendors with the more well-known versions of Linux, √* la
    | MontaVista, will be most successful. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=205602076

    Also see:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Looking ahead, 87% percent of Linux users plan to use Linux in their next
    | project. In both cases, use of free distributions outnumbered use of paid
    | distributions by a sizable margin.
    `----

    http://software.tekrati.com/research/9436/

    I'll admit that I haven't actually read the studies which they cite, but this
    appeared consistent wrt other outlets, so there's little room for other
    interpretation.

    Earlier today/last night:

    Microsoft cans key conference

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | SOFTWARE giant Microsoft has decided that it does not love its popular Mobile
    | and Embedded DevCon any more and has pulled the plug.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...key-conference

    Oh LORDY! Microsoft tried everything... even $3 Windows (in 2003) and _EVEN_
    paid (as in SHILL) studies from a firm that utter lies about the embedded
    market.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Somebody, give this politician a wedgie"
    Mem: 515500k total, 444108k used, 71392k free, 6412k buffers

  9. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 03:16:38 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ alt on Thursday 17 January 2008 00:56 : \____
    >
    >> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:29:37 +0000, [H]omer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Verily I say unto thee, that alt spake thusly:

    >>> Interesting.
    >>>
    >>> Apparently this was originally a Red Hat project, subsequently donated
    >>> to the community:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.redhat.com/about/presscen...s_eCosFSF.html
    >>>
    >>> Not Linux though.
    >>>
    >>> Here's another interesting non-Linux GPL licensed OS:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.menuetos.net

    >> As much as I love linux, it's not the right tool all the time. I really
    >> don't see why I would use Linux on an embedded device. I'm not talking
    >> smartphones and the like, but on very specialized systems - like my
    >> Sirius radio - which don't have or need a lot of memory or CPU.
    >>
    >> just my 2 (canadian) cents.

    > There is at least one recent survey which proved closed embedded systems
    > get replaces by open ones.

    Sometimes it goes the other way. Linksys moved their WRT54G product from
    Linux to Wind River (I think) after they were forced to release the GPL'd
    software. But I personally believe that has more to do with the closed
    nature of the Cisco IOS ecosystem and with Cisco's purchase of Linksys
    they'd rather have their stuff closed off.

  10. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    alt wrote:

    < snip >

    >> There is at least one recent survey which proved closed embedded systems
    >> get replaces by open ones.

    > Sometimes it goes the other way. Linksys moved their WRT54G product from
    > Linux to Wind River (I think) after they were forced to release the GPL'd
    > software.

    No, they did it because they needed a little less RAM then. But it seems it
    was a bad decision, since the WRT54G is reported to be unreliable.

    Later they brought the WRT54GL version, which was (again) running linux

    --
    "The number of Unix installations has grown to ten, with more expected"
    -- The Unix programmers handbook, 1972

  11. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    alt espoused:
    > On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 03:16:38 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ alt on Thursday 17 January 2008 00:56 : \____

    >>> As much as I love linux, it's not the right tool all the time. I really
    >>> don't see why I would use Linux on an embedded device. I'm not talking
    >>> smartphones and the like, but on very specialized systems - like my
    >>> Sirius radio - which don't have or need a lot of memory or CPU.
    >>>
    >>> just my 2 (canadian) cents.

    >> There is at least one recent survey which proved closed embedded systems
    >> get replaces by open ones.

    > Sometimes it goes the other way. Linksys moved their WRT54G product from
    > Linux to Wind River (I think) after they were forced to release the GPL'd
    > software. But I personally believe that has more to do with the closed
    > nature of the Cisco IOS ecosystem and with Cisco's purchase of Linksys
    > they'd rather have their stuff closed off.

    The wrt54gl version has remained available in spite of the production
    of a vxworks version with 1/2 the ram. The white russian project will
    install on either version, however, so the argument that linux could not
    run with a smaller ram footprint was erroneous - you might not recall,
    but that was the claim of several of our local shilcosystem.

    Since then, a new version, the wrt54gs has been launched which runs linux,
    and is expanded in some respects, including a usb port for external
    storage and some other features which presently escape me.

    Also in that time, Wind River made the decision to move to Linux
    themselves.

  12. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    Linonut writes:

    > * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> Sometimes it goes the other way. Linksys moved their WRT54G product from
    >>> Linux to Wind River (I think) after they were forced to release the GPL'd
    >>> software.

    >> No, they did it because they needed a little less RAM then. But it seems it
    >> was a bad decision, since the WRT54G is reported to be unreliable.

    > Oh, it is, I kept one for two days before returning that piece of crap.
    >
    >> Later they brought the WRT54GL version, which was (again) running
    >> linux

    And yet I have one working without a problem under quite heavy
    load. Strange eh? You liars aren't half full of it.

  13. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    * Peter KŲhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Sometimes it goes the other way. Linksys moved their WRT54G product from
    >> Linux to Wind River (I think) after they were forced to release the GPL'd
    >> software.

    > No, they did it because they needed a little less RAM then. But it seems it
    > was a bad decision, since the WRT54G is reported to be unreliable.

    Oh, it is, I kept one for two days before returning that piece of crap.

    > Later they brought the WRT54GL version, which was (again) running linux

    --
    Expansion means complexity; and complexity decay.

  14. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 01:17:05 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> * Peter KŲhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> No, they did it because they needed a little less RAM then. But it seems it
    >>> was a bad decision, since the WRT54G is reported to be unreliable.

    >> Oh, it is, I kept one for two days before returning that piece of crap.
    >>
    >>> Later they brought the WRT54GL version, which was (again) running
    >>> linux

    > And yet I have one working without a problem under quite heavy
    > load. Strange eh? You liars aren't half full of it.

    Strange. Whenever a Linux advocate uses the argument 'it works for me',
    you squeal like a stuck pig and say they'll lying. But it's okay for you?
    How does that work again?

    --
    Kier

  15. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    Kier wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 01:17:05 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Linonut writes:
    >>
    >>> * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Oh, it is, I kept one for two days before returning that piece of crap.

    >> And yet I have one working without a problem under quite heavy
    >> load. Strange eh? You liars aren't half full of it.

    > Strange. Whenever a Linux advocate uses the argument 'it works for me',
    > you squeal like a stuck pig and say they'll lying. But it's okay for you?
    > How does that work again?

    Thats his normal mode of operation. Since he is a "true linux advocate" and
    others, except flatfish, are not, he can make exceptions from the rule

    And Hadron Quark naturally ignores that this exact piece of equipment is
    widely know for its unreliable working. So even *if* it worked for him (I
    highly doubt that he has ever had one) it would still mean nothing compared
    to the high number of problems reported
    --
    The Day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably
    the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

  16. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    Kier writes:

    > On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 01:17:05 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Linonut writes:
    >>
    >>> * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Oh, it is, I kept one for two days before returning that piece of crap.

    >> And yet I have one working without a problem under quite heavy
    >> load. Strange eh? You liars aren't half full of it.

    > Strange. Whenever a Linux advocate uses the argument 'it works for me',
    > you squeal like a stuck pig and say they'll lying. But it's okay for you?
    > How does that work again?

    You're quite right, but in this case how often do you see me do that?
    Things work for me under Linux (now its all set up), but I dont lie and
    claim it all works out of the box. I dont claim everything under Windows
    works perfectly either. It doesn't. It's SW. SW has issues. It's why
    bugs get fixed.

    The point here is that they are doing the "opposite": Now they are
    claiming a product doesn't work because it is not Linux. It's not
    windows either. I have one. And it works great. I don't savage a
    products reputation because of any silly agenda. These loonies do.

  17. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    Linonut writes:

    > * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Kier wrote:

    >>> Strange. Whenever a Linux advocate uses the argument 'it works for me',
    >>> you squeal like a stuck pig and say they'll lying. But it's okay for you?
    >>> How does that work again?

    >> And Hadron Quark naturally ignores that this exact piece of equipment is
    >> widely know for its unreliable working. So even *if* it worked for him (I
    >> highly doubt that he has ever had one) it would still mean nothing compared
    >> to the high number of problems reported

    > I seem to have picked up a Usenet lap dog, and I can't shake it.

    That's no way to refer to peter.

    http://tinyurl.com/3yjnro

    --
    Si precisas una mano, recuerda que yo tengo dos.
    -- San Agust√*n. (354-439) Obispo, fil√≥sofo y Padre de la

  18. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    * Peter KŲhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Kier wrote:

    >>> And yet I have one working without a problem under quite heavy
    >>> load. Strange eh? You liars aren't half full of it.

    >> Strange. Whenever a Linux advocate uses the argument 'it works for me',
    >> you squeal like a stuck pig and say they'll lying. But it's okay for you?
    >> How does that work again?

    > And Hadron Quark naturally ignores that this exact piece of equipment is
    > widely know for its unreliable working. So even *if* it worked for him (I
    > highly doubt that he has ever had one) it would still mean nothing compared
    > to the high number of problems reported

    I seem to have picked up a Usenet lap dog, and I can't shake it.

    --
    life, n.:
    That brief interlude between nothingness and eternity.

  19. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:05:33 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > The wrt54gl version has remained available in spite of the production of
    > a vxworks version with 1/2 the ram.

    That was more due to consumer backlash/demand.

  20. Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

    alt espoused:
    > On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:05:33 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> The wrt54gl version has remained available in spite of the production of
    >> a vxworks version with 1/2 the ram.

    > That was more due to consumer backlash/demand.

    Yeah... interesting that people /want/ open-source solutions and that
    they are prepared to pay for them.